Conifer, CO

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Nice

1    9/14/2016   9/14/2016
Review By: Mr72datsun
Pros: - awesome property - nice fresh country air.
- bathrooms at the start and out on course
- pro shop with discs and snacks
- good signage
- I was very clear on where to throw on every single hole without needing to walk up the hole to see the basket.
- super easy navigation
- great variety of holes
- I liked the baskets.
- the little short course at the start is a very nice touch.
- low traffic
- good parking

Cons: - I can't throw very far uphill.
- in a perfect world, I'd like to have the tee pads longer on a few of the holes.
- overall no real complaints
Other Thoughts: Kudos to designers.
I really want to come back here on a disc golf vacation with some buddies. Great destination course. Along with others in the area.

Great P2P Mountain Course

1    8/23/2016   8/23/2016
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This well-maintained 23-hole course is built on a perfect plot of land for DG. Big hillsides covered with large pines and aspen, interspersed with openings and with a large grassy meadow at the base of the hill.

Distances from 150' - 500'+, with very tight wooded holes, moderately wooded holes, and just a couple that are wide open. Many of the holes offer different lines so RH/LH and BH/FH players will have choices.

Virtually all of the holes had uphill, downhill, or sidehill fairways. Hole 13 was such a steep uphill drive that landing without rolling seemed almost impossible. Many of the baskets are on steep enough ground that roll-away potential presents huge risk/reward on longish putts.

Most holes had two or three pin positions, and a couple had four. While some of the alt. positions moved the basket only left or right, most changed the hole length significantly. Hole 8 drove across a grassy valley to a basket placed just up the steep hill on the other side (Position B). The C and D positions place the basket father and farther up the opposite hillside to lofty heights that looked extremely challenging.

A couple of holes had amateur tee pads to eliminate a tight mando (Hole 17) or take a creek out of play (Hole 12).

Ample concrete teepads with good texture. Tee signs included a photo of the hole with each basket location shown, along with an aerial map view. There was a marker showing which position the basket was in. For a travelling disc golfer this was an easy course to play and navigate. Benches at every tee were welcome after some of the steep uphill walks.

The course starts at the check-in trailer where you pay your $10. They have a good selection of new and used discs, along with T-shirts, drinks, and food. The course attendant was friendly and helpful.

Some previous reviews mention a long walk out to Hole 1 and another long walk back at the finish. The current 23 hole layout begins and ends right behind the "pro shop", so course flow is good. Navigation was a snap as every tee sign indicates the direction to the next hole, and there are plenty of "next hole" arrows out on the course.
Cons: Towards the end of my round I started to feel a bit of repetition. I would approach a tee pad and wonder if I'd already played the hole. I guess that with 23 holes there is bound to be some similarity.

There are a few areas where adjacent fairways and baskets make things a little tight. With multiple groups playing you need to be aware of other players.

Plenty of steep bare ground around some of the baskets and on a few of the trails. Wear boots and watch your footing.
Other Thoughts: It is great to see a small Colorado community embrace Pay-to-Play disc golf with this excellent course. Hopefully this P2P model will show other communities that disc golf is a cost-effective activity.

There is a 20 hole putter course in the entrance area which is a great warm-up and plenty of fun.

There are a couple of porta-potties at the parking lot, and a couple of more out on the course. Nice to have those facilities available as this course takes 2+ hours to play.

Awesome!

1    11/7/2015   11/9/2015
Review By: iahebert
Pros: This was my first time playing the course, and it was a blast. There was about an inch or two of snow throughout the course, but it didn't get in the way of playing. The teepads are *very* well kept, with very clear signage, bag hooks, and a broom at each one. The course offered several challenging and fun holes, not to mention some great views. The pro-shop at the beginning of the course has a solid selection of gear, and the staff is very helpful. Will ABSOLUTELY play again.
Cons: None to think of.
Other Thoughts: If you're hesitant to pay to play. Don't be. Your course fees go into supporting one of the best courses I've personally ever played. Great for novice and advanced players.

There is a lot (a LOT) of elevation change at an already high up course. If you're not used to the altitude (over 8k feet), bring lots of water and take it easy.

great local course

5+    9/8/2015   10/14/2015
Review By: reverendbacon
Pros: amazing views, great terrain, very challenging, great variation of skill needed for low score. great beginners course as well, lots of open fairways.
Cons: no bacon is available on the course, anywhere.... (unless i bring my own, then its not a con)

course pictures on here need to be updated. Hole 1 is not hole 1 as described in the pics, that is actually hole 13, if I recall correctly.
Other Thoughts: will play this course for many years to come

Very fun, worth your time

1    9/27/2014   6/22/2015
Review By: iconoclastes
Pros: This course is one of 5 that I threw on a trip to Denver last year and it is a solid course that is absolutely worth your time.
*variable holes in terms of difficulty distance and technicality
*very fun
*pro shop at beginning
*very well maintained
*concrete pads
*many garbages and benches
Cons: *it's a hike, and not an easy one
*it's busy

Other Thoughts: While still better than most courses I play (in MN) but after throwing bucksnort and phantom falls, this one falls short. Had I thrown this one first my thoughts might be more encouraging, but don't let that fool you. This is a great course that I would love to throw again.

Must Play Course!

1    5/6/2015   5/12/2015
Review By: Kill Face
Pros: Course was very easy to navigate and flowed very well. You couldn't find a better view anywhere much less on a Disc Golf course. Varying fairway types,some tight and wooded some straight up the side of the mountain some open field types and about 6 holes where you have huge elevation drops and can just empty your bag to see how far you can bomb it. I believe all the tee pads were concrete. Locals were very friendly and more than happy to help if you have questions. It cost $5 for a pass to play all day.Its on the honor system during the week so bring cash and put it into the drop box,most weekends someone should be there to collect the money. Some would see paying to play as a con but you can clearly see they are putting the money to good use. I would be hesitant to pay to play a 2 star course but this sport will never grow if its participants dont cough up a little bit of cheddar now and then to make and maintain a high quality course.
Cons: Limited toilets,a couple of port o potties before you arrive at 1's tee pad and one out house around hole 10 I believe. This is not a huge deal,I mean come on you're on a mountain! Just a heads up.
Other Thoughts: I played this course 4 years ago and it was fun but it was a long walk to the 1st tee pad and could get a little confusing navigating the course for a tourist like me. Luckily The Beaver Ranch Foothill Flyers DGC (I believe thats the name of the club) has redesigned the course a bit and now its a 23 hole course with more holes planned! There is clear signage for disc golf parking now as well as a trailer/disc store set up on your short walk to the new 1st tee pad. There is also little yellow arrows throughout the course to keep you on track and flowing smoothly. If you live near the Denver,Conifer,Bailey area or are in town visiting definitely play this course. Its only about 30 -40 min from downtown Denver and its a great drive up into the mountains as well. I look forward to playing this course again in the future.

Beaver Ranch

1    7/16/2014   5/11/2015
Review By: vcisjb
Pros: Even if you went here and didn't throw a disc its a gorgeous hike.
Tees are perfect, clearly marked, signage is perfection.
Excellent Pro-Shop
I love the "putting course" at the entry, good way to warm up.
Beaver Ranch Disc (how cool is that)
Cons: This will be a long hike. Just keep that in mind
Your disc will roll down the hill at the worst moment and it will make you cry, you were so close!
Other Thoughts: This is honestly the course I judge all other course I play by. One of the first "big boy" courses I played, so maybe I have a rose tinted glasses view of it, but really I remember it being darn near perfect.

A must-play course in the Denver, CO area

1    3/14/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course is located in a beautiful forest area near Conifer, CO.
- There's a "pro-shop" on site, but was closed while I there.
- The course was clean and well kept.
- All of the tee boxes have concrete pads, benches, bag hangers, and signs that are actually useful.
- Many of the signs had a photograph, showing the view from the tee box, with an overlay of where to find the basket. I found this extremely helpful on several of the holes.
- The course has an amazing variety of elevation changes and various types of shots are needed here. Some were up hill, some were down hill, some were tunnel shots and some are wide-open. None of them are "super-easy" shots though.
- The landscape is really nice here and I sat on several of the benches just hanging out enjoying the views and peaceful area.
- You will see a fair amount of wildlife here.
Cons: - The course is roughly 8300ft. above sea level, which means the air is thin. If you're not used to the altitude, you will get tired quickly.
- I can't think of anything else to complain about; this course is just amazing.
Other Thoughts: If you're anywhere near Conifer/Denver, you need to play this course. The $5 course fee is worth every penny and I've never played a course that looked this professional or had as much effort put into it. I would have played two rounds but I was worn out after the first round. The altitude and climbing wore me out fast and I had to take a lot of breaks.

I recommend taking your time on this course, there's no need to rush. I enjoyed the scenery and peacefulness, and then I put some thought into my shots. Due to the huge elevation changes on some of the holes, you really have to choose your shots carefully. If you run at the chains from 75ft. and miss, you might be rolling 200ft. down the hill.

Beaver Believer

1    10/21/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Beaver Ranch in Conifer brings a cool mountain layout that will be fun for all levels of players, so long as hiking the persistent hills isn't a problem. Wear good shoes, because it is not tame terrain. The baskets are sweet, with a conical wire point on top, and a rim that is beveled in allowing high putts to deflect downward into the chains. The signs has bag holders on the posts. The tees were concrete, and there are 23 holes to be played, though my father and I arrived late in the afternoon and chose to bypass holes 11-14. A group of 4 was in front of us on hole 11, and the park closes at dusk. A sign pointed the shorter 19 hole loop and we took it. It looked as though the holes we missed were just as fun as the rest, with steep hillsides and trees. There is not super dense forrest, but few fairways are wide open. I like the fact most of the baskets are visible from the tee boxes. Visiting my first time, this saved me from extra walking to look where I'm throwing. The distance is pretty manageable overall, and a few holes have short tees as well. They are all fair at par 3, but not easy. Bad releases off the tee and bonking trees gave me a hard time, but I did bust out a few birdies and enjoyed the challenge. No exceptionally long holes and no water. A couple of short holes to start off with gentle upslope. I thought holes 3 and 4 is where it starts getting fun, the woods becoming more of an obstacle. Hole 9 is the always entertaining long, open, downhill bomb. Elevation drop enough to offset the increased distance, but one of the least wooded holes allows for more noticeable breezes. Wind was not strong, and the weather was beautiful for late October. Back half of the course was great. Really nicely mixed looks from hole to hole, changing the trajectory and shape often using trees and elevation change. So many fun holes. The course is in outstanding condition. There are a few nice benches around the course and they are very handy to catch your breath. Hardly a piece of litter, there was a couple of trash cans along the way.
Cons: Pay to play, worth the $5 if you ask me. A couple of average, still fun but just ok holes, 1 and 10 for example. DGCR media photo labels do not reflect the current layout, many of the same holes in different order. The championship caliber players could be underwhelmed with the difficulty, but I thought Beaver Ranch was still great. No envelopes at the pay station, and I wasn't sure exactly how the tags worked. Wrapped the wire around my cash, and crammed it in the slot after writing my name and car description on it.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course of a three day Colorado road trip with my Dad. We played one course each day, and the was the perfect start. He is over 60, smokes, and isn't in the best shape, but was capable of the physical demands. We had a blast once we were able to find the start of the course and deposit our $5 in the pay station. The park also had zip lines that were not in use at the time, a dog park, a nice event hall, making it a really nice community park. There were several practice baskets, and I think maybe even more holes in addition to the 23, it looked like.

The Wally World of Courses

1    9/13/2014   10/2/2014
Review By: xskatx
Pros: Absolutely a great course. The design is unique and challenging. I love the overall layout of the course. Nice and spread out and the elevation changes were done in an intelligent way. When you have to throw up hill, it is generally a shorter hole, making it easier on the arm, but still fun. The longer holes are on elevation drops and the trees are spread out just enough. The kicker: there is a snack shack where you set up and the workers are very friendly and knowledgeable there. Thanks for a great experience!
Cons: The only bad thing about this course is the intense hike. If you don't live in the mountains or don't exercise all the time you may be a bit winded on this one. I'm not that out of shape but this was more than a walk in the park and it made it more challenging with some fatigue. All well- good exercise anyways :)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8