Conifer, CO

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A must-play course in the Denver, CO area

1    3/14/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course is located in a beautiful forest area near Conifer, CO.
- There's a "pro-shop" on site, but was closed while I there.
- The course was clean and well kept.
- All of the tee boxes have concrete pads, benches, bag hangers, and signs that are actually useful.
- Many of the signs had a photograph, showing the view from the tee box, with an overlay of where to find the basket. I found this extremely helpful on several of the holes.
- The course has an amazing variety of elevation changes and various types of shots are needed here. Some were up hill, some were down hill, some were tunnel shots and some are wide-open. None of them are "super-easy" shots though.
- The landscape is really nice here and I sat on several of the benches just hanging out enjoying the views and peaceful area.
- You will see a fair amount of wildlife here.
Cons: - The course is roughly 8300ft. above sea level, which means the air is thin. If you're not used to the altitude, you will get tired quickly.
- I can't think of anything else to complain about; this course is just amazing.
Other Thoughts: If you're anywhere near Conifer/Denver, you need to play this course. The $5 course fee is worth every penny and I've never played a course that looked this professional or had as much effort put into it. I would have played two rounds but I was worn out after the first round. The altitude and climbing wore me out fast and I had to take a lot of breaks.

I recommend taking your time on this course, there's no need to rush. I enjoyed the scenery and peacefulness, and then I put some thought into my shots. Due to the huge elevation changes on some of the holes, you really have to choose your shots carefully. If you run at the chains from 75ft. and miss, you might be rolling 200ft. down the hill.

Beaver Believer

1    10/21/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Beaver Ranch in Conifer brings a cool mountain layout that will be fun for all levels of players, so long as hiking the persistent hills isn't a problem. Wear good shoes, because it is not tame terrain. The baskets are sweet, with a conical wire point on top, and a rim that is beveled in allowing high putts to deflect downward into the chains. The signs has bag holders on the posts. The tees were concrete, and there are 23 holes to be played, though my father and I arrived late in the afternoon and chose to bypass holes 11-14. A group of 4 was in front of us on hole 11, and the park closes at dusk. A sign pointed the shorter 19 hole loop and we took it. It looked as though the holes we missed were just as fun as the rest, with steep hillsides and trees. There is not super dense forrest, but few fairways are wide open. I like the fact most of the baskets are visible from the tee boxes. Visiting my first time, this saved me from extra walking to look where I'm throwing. The distance is pretty manageable overall, and a few holes have short tees as well. They are all fair at par 3, but not easy. Bad releases off the tee and bonking trees gave me a hard time, but I did bust out a few birdies and enjoyed the challenge. No exceptionally long holes and no water. A couple of short holes to start off with gentle upslope. I thought holes 3 and 4 is where it starts getting fun, the woods becoming more of an obstacle. Hole 9 is the always entertaining long, open, downhill bomb. Elevation drop enough to offset the increased distance, but one of the least wooded holes allows for more noticeable breezes. Wind was not strong, and the weather was beautiful for late October. Back half of the course was great. Really nicely mixed looks from hole to hole, changing the trajectory and shape often using trees and elevation change. So many fun holes. The course is in outstanding condition. There are a few nice benches around the course and they are very handy to catch your breath. Hardly a piece of litter, there was a couple of trash cans along the way.
Cons: Pay to play, worth the $5 if you ask me. A couple of average, still fun but just ok holes, 1 and 10 for example. DGCR media photo labels do not reflect the current layout, many of the same holes in different order. The championship caliber players could be underwhelmed with the difficulty, but I thought Beaver Ranch was still great. No envelopes at the pay station, and I wasn't sure exactly how the tags worked. Wrapped the wire around my cash, and crammed it in the slot after writing my name and car description on it.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course of a three day Colorado road trip with my Dad. We played one course each day, and the was the perfect start. He is over 60, smokes, and isn't in the best shape, but was capable of the physical demands. We had a blast once we were able to find the start of the course and deposit our $5 in the pay station. The park also had zip lines that were not in use at the time, a dog park, a nice event hall, making it a really nice community park. There were several practice baskets, and I think maybe even more holes in addition to the 23, it looked like.

The Wally World of Courses

1    9/13/2014   10/2/2014
Review By: xskatx
Pros: Absolutely a great course. The design is unique and challenging. I love the overall layout of the course. Nice and spread out and the elevation changes were done in an intelligent way. When you have to throw up hill, it is generally a shorter hole, making it easier on the arm, but still fun. The longer holes are on elevation drops and the trees are spread out just enough. The kicker: there is a snack shack where you set up and the workers are very friendly and knowledgeable there. Thanks for a great experience!
Cons: The only bad thing about this course is the intense hike. If you don't live in the mountains or don't exercise all the time you may be a bit winded on this one. I'm not that out of shape but this was more than a walk in the park and it made it more challenging with some fatigue. All well- good exercise anyways :)

almost perfect

1    8/7/2014   9/3/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 9/30/2014
Pros: -great variety, great amenities, great golf, great scenery
-high fun factor, signature holes, easier to score well than Bailey
-now with all concrete tee pads
-recently underwent a partial redesign: a few new holes and the course has been renumbered, the new hole 1 right next to the parking lot and pay station/shop
-a few alternate tee pads and many alternate pin locations
-beautiful, picturesque setting with great elevation changes
-putting course at the base of the hill
Cons: -only a small handful of longer holes, only 4 over 350'
-brutal roll aways on these hills, part of the game!
-it's a long round and a serious hike, bummer that it is one big loop that never comes back to the shop/parking lot in the middle of the round
-no water hazard

i really don't have much to say here, the course really is almost perfect.
Other Thoughts: Beaver Ranch has earned it's reputation as one of the best courses in Colorado and a national top ten contender. It combines great elevation and thick, mature woods with high quality amenities in a gorgeous mountain setting. The experience is phenomenal all around.

After over 150 reviews, I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been said but I'd like to add my opinion where it perhaps differs from the norm. Beaver Ranch is kind of like an ultimate par 3 course in the mountains. Most of the holes are reachable off the tee and distance is only a big factor on a few holes. Hitting your lines and dealing with the elevation and altitude is the bigger challenge. It might not be the most challenging course but it is a ton of fun!

I had a really hard time wavering between a 4.5 and 5.0 on this rating and I still may change it but feels a little too one-dimensional to me to get that top rating. Despite the variety that is there in the design, it is a par 3 course that never really challenges the player with multi-drive holes or landing zones to set up the next shot. It does make up for it with lots of really fun elevated tee shots and ace runs but it doesn't really offer the complete test.

I really have to qualify my last remarks there and say that this is an amazing course that is tons of fun to play and an obvious destination course in an area loaded with awesome golf. I don't mean to be overly critical, just my 2 cents. I played it the day after playing Bailey and that course left the bigger impression on me. That said, this course and the others nearby it are worth making travel plans to play.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Baptism by altitude

1    8/14/2014   8/14/2014
Review By: Rowick
Pros: First of all beautiful!! when Katharine Lee Bates wrote America the Beautiful atop (relatively) nearby Pikes Peak this is the kind of landscape she was looking at. Just one amazing mountain view after another along with wildflowers, majestic pines and aspen, and wildlife (I saw a two point buck right by the parking lot after my round)

Challenging!! Both in terms of disc golf skill and cardiovascular endurance.

Secluded!! great place to find your own personal disc golf heaven!! To be fair I was there at 9 AM on a Thursday but I did not see another human until hole 12 and did not see any other disc golfers until I was almost done (they were behind me)

Its less than an hour by car from downtown Denver

Tee pads were very nice most holes had nice benches which even with out anyone else on the course I used these a time or two to catch my breath and just take in the world around me
Cons: Physically demanding you will be going on a mile hike over rugged, hilly terrain at 8000+ feet above sea level that's not a con for a lot of people but just know what you're getting into

Numbers on the pins would have been helpfull
Other Thoughts: you play a few round and your local park course and you par a few holes and you think "I'm pretty good at disc golf" this course showed me that I have a lifetime of learning ahead of me

You will not be dissapointed

5+    7/20/2014   7/26/2014
Review By: Mile High Bogey
Pros: Wow, just wow. If you live near here, or are traveling through, you owe it to yourself to play this course. I've had the pleasure of watching the course mature over the years into the 23-hole mountain challenge it is today. All tee pads are concrete, and none of them are at an angle (that's saying something for a mountain course). Signage is kept up to date, and in general is helpful for first timers on the course. All tees have bag hooks and brooms to keep them tidy. Many tees have benches and trash cans. Very challenging for all skill levels, but I would not recommend bringing a beginner here, it's for those who are comfortable playing city courses and want something more challenging. Course now has a "pro shop" and a little outdoor lounge. They also added a putting game you can kill time playing while waiting for tee #1 to open up. You get a killer hike in. Bottom line, this is one of the most amazing course I have ever played, go throw it already!
Cons: If anyone here dares to complain about the $5 fee to play this course I refer them to the above Pros that I stated. Seriously, it is so worth the $5, support the designers so they continue building more courses in the foothills! Okay, so if I had to list a con I guess it would be the Zip-Lines in the same area; when in use the sound is very distracting when trying to focus on a putt.
Other Thoughts: Unlike Bucksnort and Phantom Falls, you can just roll up on Beaver Ranch when you are ready to play. Bailey could become the next version of Beaver Ranch, once they put concrete tee pads in that is.

2-4    6/23/2014   6/24/2014
Review By: Zedrijan
Pros: Well maintained mountainous course. Variety of challenges requires you to use every disc and every shot in your bag. Tee sign posts have a map of the hole, a picture of the hole highlighting the baskets and hole info. Most of the tees have benches and several have trash/recycle bins. They've thought of everything, brooms and custom made bag hooks at most of the tees as well.
Cons: Hard to find con's with this course. Physically challenging, expect to winded regularly if you aren't in shape. And it's not in my back yard, if it was it would be perfect.

Absolutely gorgeous

1    11/10/2013   11/25/2013
Review By: Mako8
Pros: This course has been changed for the better; hole 1 is no longer a hike it starts off right behind the trailer. The 5$ fee is well worth it; you get what you pay for. Concrete tee pads are excellent and baskets are well maintained. Great variety of shots, you will use every disc in your bag. Very challenging course even to veterans. Tee pads and baskets are marked well and signage is very present. Quality baskets that catch pretty well; I had a 200' bounce out shot on hole three. Absolutely love this course. They have also set up a precision putting game right in the front of the course; fun little game to get you in shape for the course. Lots of hiking, exercise and beautiful views, would play here again whenever I get a chance.
Cons: This course has very little flaws, even the drive out there from denver is beautiful. The only con I can really think of is that there could be a lot traffic in the peak seasons; please watch out for other players in fairway. Some shots require you to traverse the steep hillside; don't shoot down the hill your disc will roll down.
Other Thoughts: This course is scenic and filled with wildlife; saw a bunch of deer when we played. Late in the season there were less people on the course but still had to wait at a few tee pads for other players to clear out. The fee is well worth it and supports the course, please don't sneak onto the course. Love this course, wish I lived in Denver so I could play here all the time. Please support this course, phantom falls, magic meadows, bucksnort as they are all the same group of guys trying to push the sport of DG. Enjoy!

Rocky Mountain Disc

1    8/31/2013   9/10/2013
Review By: Wook1
Pros: 21 strenuous yet rewarding and very satisfying holes of disc golf. Conifer is nestled up beyond the foothills and uses the very drastic elevation changes on almost every hole. If you drink 2 bottles of water regularly @ lower elevation bring an extra for conifer. This course can take it out of you if are not careful. I only had the one chance to play here so I can't comment much on development and improvement but while there concrete tees were in the process of being installed, I also heard they were planning on adding a hole or two prior to the 21 that I played, on the dirt access road to the course. Most holes have multiple pin positions, some even have more than one pin set on a hole so you can choose what layout you want to play.

From the start it's apparent this was going to be an intense round, the first two holes are straight up a hill/mountain. I'd recommend using the tomahawk thumb to get it up into the pocket without rolling back down. After the initial climb the course levels out and traverses a system of short ridges & valleys. On hole 5 I believe there is a really cool tepee/lean to made out of fallen branches and logs. This is where things open up a bit for the first time with a fun down-hill shot. After the next few holes play across a pretty steep slope with the downhill roll being a big factor in approach shots. 11-13 were fun but I definitely had and bad roll while flicking and had my beast sail down the mountain about 450+ ft (really wish I had my phone & udisc to get an exact measurement) climbed back up the mountain & had a quick rest also nice meeting the crew that was setting the new tees. Dedication right there, the tee for 11( I think) was being laid on a steep slope, prob 850 ft up the hill. 17 was one of my favorite holes, signage said there was 5 pin positions all together. Its a long "top of the world" shot the longer pin positions then go back up a steep incline. Compared to the earlier holes the last few are more on the mellow side especially 21 which is a fun "ace" hole over a small creek. I always like holes like this to end the round on a positive note

Didn't have enough time but they have some sick zip lines on the property not sure of price or availability but if I'd know beforehand I would have looked more into it/allotted some extra time
Cons: This is not a con but felt a note of caution is in order here. The rocky mountains are amazing natural features and at this course are used to their full extent. Come prepared, water is the #1 factor in this. I can't remember seeing a well pump head or fountain. If elevation changes and high altitude is a problem for you, TAKE IT SLOW & wear proper footwear rolling an ankle up there would not be fun. God forbid anything bad happens while out but accidents do occure and getting off the top of the mountain could be tricky.
Other Thoughts: When I played there was a long walk into the course (close to half mile) I wished there were holes on this walk and since then I guess they have installed a basket or two on the way out & supposedly made the parking area closer or in a different location

nice

1    8/12/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: F. Howl
This review was updated on 3/21/2014
Pros: ˇNice mix of short and long holes
ˇNearly every hole has a defined line
ˇNo pedestrians
ˇMagical woodland setting.
Cons: ˇ The first few are a little too short, even with the steep elevated pins. If you smack a tree on the way up, an easy chip will give anyone a three.
ˇSome muddy uneven pads. In fact half were puddles when I played.
ˇThey need to put a hole or two on the walk up to the first hole. There's usually guy in the lot who let's you know there is a bit of a walk to get to the first hole.
Other Thoughts: Heard this course gets crowded. Went on a day it was supposed to rain and didn't, and it wasn't bad. If I lived in the area I'd play here quite a bit, not for the course layout, but for the beautiful setting. Love the holes out in the meadow area.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7