Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch Share
Uploaded By: andylibrande Hole #16 (Taken 6/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
Must Play Course!

1    5/6/2015   5/12/2015
Review By: Kill Face
Pros: Course was very easy to navigate and flowed very well. You couldn't find a better view anywhere much less on a Disc Golf course. Varying fairway types,some tight and wooded some straight up the side of the mountain some open field types and about 6 holes where you have huge elevation drops and can just empty your bag to see how far you can bomb it. I believe all the tee pads were concrete. Locals were very friendly and more than happy to help if you have questions. It cost $5 for a pass to play all day.Its on the honor system during the week so bring cash and put it into the drop box,most weekends someone should be there to collect the money. Some would see paying to play as a con but you can clearly see they are putting the money to good use. I would be hesitant to pay to play a 2 star course but this sport will never grow if its participants dont cough up a little bit of cheddar now and then to make and maintain a high quality course.
Cons: Limited toilets,a couple of port o potties before you arrive at 1's tee pad and one out house around hole 10 I believe. This is not a huge deal,I mean come on you're on a mountain! Just a heads up.
Other Thoughts: I played this course 4 years ago and it was fun but it was a long walk to the 1st tee pad and could get a little confusing navigating the course for a tourist like me. Luckily The Beaver Ranch Foothill Flyers DGC (I believe thats the name of the club) has redesigned the course a bit and now its a 23 hole course with more holes planned! There is clear signage for disc golf parking now as well as a trailer/disc store set up on your short walk to the new 1st tee pad. There is also little yellow arrows throughout the course to keep you on track and flowing smoothly. If you live near the Denver,Conifer,Bailey area or are in town visiting definitely play this course. Its only about 30 -40 min from downtown Denver and its a great drive up into the mountains as well. I look forward to playing this course again in the future.

Beaver Ranch

1    7/16/2014   5/11/2015
Review By: vcisjb
Pros: Even if you went here and didn't throw a disc its a gorgeous hike.
Tees are perfect, clearly marked, signage is perfection.
Excellent Pro-Shop
I love the "putting course" at the entry, good way to warm up.
Beaver Ranch Disc (how cool is that)
Cons: This will be a long hike. Just keep that in mind
Your disc will roll down the hill at the worst moment and it will make you cry, you were so close!
Other Thoughts: This is honestly the course I judge all other course I play by. One of the first "big boy" courses I played, so maybe I have a rose tinted glasses view of it, but really I remember it being darn near perfect.

Wish this was Home

1    4/27/2015   4/27/2015
Review By: Esiersdale
Pros: The course deserves minimum 4 stars for the views alone. Having a disc shop on site with used discs for first timers or travelers with small suitcases adds another .5. Then the golf, tight New England fairways coupled with wide open Texas style shots makes this the best of both worlds.
Cons: Challenges your game with extreme elevation changes, heavy Rocky Mountain winds, and the fatigue caused on your legs.

A must-play course in the Denver, CO area

1    3/14/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course is located in a beautiful forest area near Conifer, CO.
- There's a "pro-shop" on site, but was closed while I there.
- The course was clean and well kept.
- All of the tee boxes have concrete pads, benches, bag hangers, and signs that are actually useful.
- Many of the signs had a photograph, showing the view from the tee box, with an overlay of where to find the basket. I found this extremely helpful on several of the holes.
- The course has an amazing variety of elevation changes and various types of shots are needed here. Some were up hill, some were down hill, some were tunnel shots and some are wide-open. None of them are "super-easy" shots though.
- The landscape is really nice here and I sat on several of the benches just hanging out enjoying the views and peaceful area.
- You will see a fair amount of wildlife here.
Cons: - The course is roughly 8300ft. above sea level, which means the air is thin. If you're not used to the altitude, you will get tired quickly.
- I can't think of anything else to complain about; this course is just amazing.
Other Thoughts: If you're anywhere near Conifer/Denver, you need to play this course. The $5 course fee is worth every penny and I've never played a course that looked this professional or had as much effort put into it. I would have played two rounds but I was worn out after the first round. The altitude and climbing wore me out fast and I had to take a lot of breaks.

I recommend taking your time on this course, there's no need to rush. I enjoyed the scenery and peacefulness, and then I put some thought into my shots. Due to the huge elevation changes on some of the holes, you really have to choose your shots carefully. If you run at the chains from 75ft. and miss, you might be rolling 200ft. down the hill.

Beaver Believer

1    10/21/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Beaver Ranch in Conifer brings a cool mountain layout that will be fun for all levels of players, so long as hiking the persistent hills isn't a problem. Wear good shoes, because it is not tame terrain. The baskets are sweet, with a conical wire point on top, and a rim that is beveled in allowing high putts to deflect downward into the chains. The signs has bag holders on the posts. The tees were concrete, and there are 23 holes to be played, though my father and I arrived late in the afternoon and chose to bypass holes 11-14. A group of 4 was in front of us on hole 11, and the park closes at dusk. A sign pointed the shorter 19 hole loop and we took it. It looked as though the holes we missed were just as fun as the rest, with steep hillsides and trees. There is not super dense forrest, but few fairways are wide open. I like the fact most of the baskets are visible from the tee boxes. Visiting my first time, this saved me from extra walking to look where I'm throwing. The distance is pretty manageable overall, and a few holes have short tees as well. They are all fair at par 3, but not easy. Bad releases off the tee and bonking trees gave me a hard time, but I did bust out a few birdies and enjoyed the challenge. No exceptionally long holes and no water. A couple of short holes to start off with gentle upslope. I thought holes 3 and 4 is where it starts getting fun, the woods becoming more of an obstacle. Hole 9 is the always entertaining long, open, downhill bomb. Elevation drop enough to offset the increased distance, but one of the least wooded holes allows for more noticeable breezes. Wind was not strong, and the weather was beautiful for late October. Back half of the course was great. Really nicely mixed looks from hole to hole, changing the trajectory and shape often using trees and elevation change. So many fun holes. The course is in outstanding condition. There are a few nice benches around the course and they are very handy to catch your breath. Hardly a piece of litter, there was a couple of trash cans along the way.
Cons: Pay to play, worth the $5 if you ask me. A couple of average, still fun but just ok holes, 1 and 10 for example. DGCR media photo labels do not reflect the current layout, many of the same holes in different order. The championship caliber players could be underwhelmed with the difficulty, but I thought Beaver Ranch was still great. No envelopes at the pay station, and I wasn't sure exactly how the tags worked. Wrapped the wire around my cash, and crammed it in the slot after writing my name and car description on it.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course of a three day Colorado road trip with my Dad. We played one course each day, and the was the perfect start. He is over 60, smokes, and isn't in the best shape, but was capable of the physical demands. We had a blast once we were able to find the start of the course and deposit our $5 in the pay station. The park also had zip lines that were not in use at the time, a dog park, a nice event hall, making it a really nice community park. There were several practice baskets, and I think maybe even more holes in addition to the 23, it looked like.

The Wally World of Courses

1    9/13/2014   10/2/2014
Review By: xskatx
Pros: Absolutely a great course. The design is unique and challenging. I love the overall layout of the course. Nice and spread out and the elevation changes were done in an intelligent way. When you have to throw up hill, it is generally a shorter hole, making it easier on the arm, but still fun. The longer holes are on elevation drops and the trees are spread out just enough. The kicker: there is a snack shack where you set up and the workers are very friendly and knowledgeable there. Thanks for a great experience!
Cons: The only bad thing about this course is the intense hike. If you don't live in the mountains or don't exercise all the time you may be a bit winded on this one. I'm not that out of shape but this was more than a walk in the park and it made it more challenging with some fatigue. All well- good exercise anyways :)

Best Disc Golf experience in Colorado

5+    9/27/2014   9/28/2014
Review By: yondermtn
This review was updated on 9/30/2014
Pros: Best disc golf experience in Colorado! Beaver Ranch has it all; Great 23 hole Course, Putting Course and Pro Shop. Course has large concrete tee pads that have bag hooks and brooms. Tee pads also have log benches and good hole signage. Course utilizes several mando's off the tee pads and has a great layout making players use every shot in their bag. Course is heavily wooded and hilly-Plan on watching your disc roll downhill at least once! Pro Shop sells discs, gear and clothing. They also have food and drinks available-credit cards accepted!!! Putting Course was a blast and served as a good warm up and cool down.
Cons: Getting busy with players, it is no longer a hidden gem. The word is out!

almost perfect

1    8/7/2014   9/3/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 9/30/2014
Pros: -great variety, great amenities, great golf, great scenery
-high fun factor, signature holes, easier to score well than Bailey
-now with all concrete tee pads
-recently underwent a partial redesign: a few new holes and the course has been renumbered, the new hole 1 right next to the parking lot and pay station/shop
-a few alternate tee pads and many alternate pin locations
-beautiful, picturesque setting with great elevation changes
-putting course at the base of the hill
Cons: -only a small handful of longer holes, only 4 over 350'
-brutal roll aways on these hills, part of the game!
-it's a long round and a serious hike, bummer that it is one big loop that never comes back to the shop/parking lot in the middle of the round
-no water hazard

i really don't have much to say here, the course really is almost perfect.
Other Thoughts: Beaver Ranch has earned it's reputation as one of the best courses in Colorado and a national top ten contender. It combines great elevation and thick, mature woods with high quality amenities in a gorgeous mountain setting. The experience is phenomenal all around.

After over 150 reviews, I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been said but I'd like to add my opinion where it perhaps differs from the norm. Beaver Ranch is kind of like an ultimate par 3 course in the mountains. Most of the holes are reachable off the tee and distance is only a big factor on a few holes. Hitting your lines and dealing with the elevation and altitude is the bigger challenge. It might not be the most challenging course but it is a ton of fun!

I had a really hard time wavering between a 4.5 and 5.0 on this rating and I still may change it but feels a little too one-dimensional to me to get that top rating. Despite the variety that is there in the design, it is a par 3 course that never really challenges the player with multi-drive holes or landing zones to set up the next shot. It does make up for it with lots of really fun elevated tee shots and ace runs but it doesn't really offer the complete test.

I really have to qualify my last remarks there and say that this is an amazing course that is tons of fun to play and an obvious destination course in an area loaded with awesome golf. I don't mean to be overly critical, just my 2 cents. I played it the day after playing Bailey and that course left the bigger impression on me. That said, this course and the others nearby it are worth making travel plans to play.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

So glad I played

1    8/16/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: LeftyMcGee
Pros: Eveything. I have really only played wide open courses. This was such a great challenge. I'm a beginner/intermeduate player and this challenged me and the friends I played w on every shot. Great hike. Great course design and challenging layout. Never had to second guess or walk the hole to find the pin No litter. Friendly people. 1st time playing a mountain course, and I'm hooked!
Cons: It's a mountain course...I rolled over a 2 hour old new disk on hole 3 and it went down the hill and couldn't be found.
Other Thoughts: With a course of this caliber so close to denver (and the other great courses nearby that I've heard about) I'll definitely be burning the gas and spending a lot more time here!

Baptism by altitude

1    8/14/2014   8/14/2014
Review By: Rowick
Pros: First of all beautiful!! when Katharine Lee Bates wrote America the Beautiful atop (relatively) nearby Pikes Peak this is the kind of landscape she was looking at. Just one amazing mountain view after another along with wildflowers, majestic pines and aspen, and wildlife (I saw a two point buck right by the parking lot after my round)

Challenging!! Both in terms of disc golf skill and cardiovascular endurance.

Secluded!! great place to find your own personal disc golf heaven!! To be fair I was there at 9 AM on a Thursday but I did not see another human until hole 12 and did not see any other disc golfers until I was almost done (they were behind me)

Its less than an hour by car from downtown Denver

Tee pads were very nice most holes had nice benches which even with out anyone else on the course I used these a time or two to catch my breath and just take in the world around me
Cons: Physically demanding you will be going on a mile hike over rugged, hilly terrain at 8000+ feet above sea level that's not a con for a lot of people but just know what you're getting into

Numbers on the pins would have been helpfull
Other Thoughts: you play a few round and your local park course and you par a few holes and you think "I'm pretty good at disc golf" this course showed me that I have a lifetime of learning ahead of me

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16