Conifer, CO

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17
Great

1    7/26/2015   7/30/2015
Review By: ABosco26
Pros: Beautiful course, well maintained. The views are unbelievable. Very easy to find the holes and tee boxes.

There is a variety of challenges, whether its distance, trees, water, change in elevation. This course does a great job of mixing it up and keeping it challenging.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Play this course. Well worth the $8 a day.

Epic Mountain Course

1    6/6/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: SteLaG
Pros: Gorgeous mountain course that pretty much has everything you could ask for in a disc golf course. Has lots of downhill bombs where you can really let your disc fly. Also has a good mix of technical holes that offer a lot of risk and reward. The course is really not too far from the Denver Metro Area and is well worth the trip.
Cons: They charge $8.00 for a day pass. The course is well worth the money, but I'm pretty sure it was only $5.00 previous years. As far as the course goes there are really no cons.
Other Thoughts: I'm hoping that they are charging more to put more money into the course. It did look like there was staff working on something in the woods I can only guess it would be more holes. It would be really nice if they bumped the number of holes up to 27.

Very fun, worth your time

1    9/27/2014   6/22/2015
Review By: iconoclastes
Pros: This course is one of 5 that I threw on a trip to Denver last year and it is a solid course that is absolutely worth your time.
*variable holes in terms of difficulty distance and technicality
*very fun
*pro shop at beginning
*very well maintained
*concrete pads
*many garbages and benches
Cons: *it's a hike, and not an easy one
*it's busy

Other Thoughts: While still better than most courses I play (in MN) but after throwing bucksnort and phantom falls, this one falls short. Had I thrown this one first my thoughts might be more encouraging, but don't let that fool you. This is a great course that I would love to throw again.

1    5/26/2015   6/4/2015
Review By: lineenil
Pros: Beaver Ranch truly is the best of the best. Went there for vacation and was absolutely blown away. Mountain disc golf at it's best.

-An amazing pro shop. Bought a disc and a tee-shirt. Very cool.
-23 holes was the perfect amount. For an out of towner, I can't lie, I was starting to be short of breath from the altitude by the end of it. Seems like the land was used optimally and for the beast of a course it was, the extra 5 holes were perfect and did not feel tacked on at all.
-Would have paid the entrance fee just for the hike and views. Beautiful.
-Specifically holes 7 and 8 were spectacular. Very steep elevation drops allow for some absolutely bombs on a calm day. I almost threw my whole bag into those fields.
-Incredible design outside of those two holes as well. I found myself having load of fun on every hole, even if I was just hitting trees.
Cons: -Holes 13 and 14 were nothing more than a straight, steep hike back up the mountain. Understandable for the terrain, but annoyingly simple uphill shots non-the-less.
-Be ready for a hike as others have said. I was ready and excited for it, so not necessarily a con for me
-Not free, but again, not really a con. Entirely worth it- heck, buy some of their merch while you're at it! Fantastic course.
Other Thoughts: Can't say much bad. I only wish I lived in Colorado so I could play it more frequently. Loved the visit!!!

This course blows...

1    9/6/2014   5/26/2015
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: My mind! haha see what I did there?!

Beaver ranch has just about everything that you need to enjoy a course not just for today but for years to come. Terrain change (dirt to grass and back e.g.) and elevation change are used frequently to make shot selection and disc placement more challenging and of course who doesn't enjoy a big downhill throw?!

Finding and playing the course is easy with directional markers guiding you along the way although most tee pads are close enough and pathways are defined enough that even without the next tee signs you would probably do alright.

Variety here is abundant between throwing up or on the side of the hill through semi tight wooded lines to the more open medium bomber big downhill throws that make this course so fun. Add to that the multiple pin placements on the course and you could play here several times and have a different experience/result each time.

I love the tee signs and the awesome wooden benches which are difficult to vandalize I think or maybe it's just too hard of a walk for vandals and they destroy things at ground level, who knows.

I love that the local club wasn't afraid to go against the grain and make this course 23 holes. So many times course designers try to get an exact number (usually 9,18 or 27) of holes in the course when the land provided does not allow for this while still having great holes. I'd rather have 23 awesome holes rather then cramming in 27 and losing something.

Zipline people (zipliners?) are crazy!
Cons: Multiple basket locations are great for mixing it up and keeping the course fresh and interesting for multiple skill levels but at the same time if you're coming in from out of town/state and likely will only play the course once you might feel like you missed something if you didn't get to play them all.

There isn't a hole out here that I didn't like and I think I would hard pressed to take any out but some variety in par would be great, unfortunately this would require removing holes and I don't think that would be a wise move.

Some people hate dirt pads I guess. I love natural pads, actually carpet is my favorite. Concrete is hard on my knees and ankles and is much more permanent and hard to remove, especially on the top or side of a mountain so I'm glad they stayed with dirt.
Other Thoughts: Just like Upshawt1979 said in his review I also took this trip with my dad. We played all of the awesome courses in the area. He is in his late 50's and weighs close to 300 pounds but was able to play Beaver Ranch, Phantom Falls, Bucksnort and Bailey on consecutive days, with proper hydration and resting of course. My point is stop whining about hills and get your butt up here and play!

Must Play Course!

1    5/6/2015   5/12/2015
Review By: Kill Face
Pros: Course was very easy to navigate and flowed very well. You couldn't find a better view anywhere much less on a Disc Golf course. Varying fairway types,some tight and wooded some straight up the side of the mountain some open field types and about 6 holes where you have huge elevation drops and can just empty your bag to see how far you can bomb it. I believe all the tee pads were concrete. Locals were very friendly and more than happy to help if you have questions. It cost $5 for a pass to play all day.Its on the honor system during the week so bring cash and put it into the drop box,most weekends someone should be there to collect the money. Some would see paying to play as a con but you can clearly see they are putting the money to good use. I would be hesitant to pay to play a 2 star course but this sport will never grow if its participants dont cough up a little bit of cheddar now and then to make and maintain a high quality course.
Cons: Limited toilets,a couple of port o potties before you arrive at 1's tee pad and one out house around hole 10 I believe. This is not a huge deal,I mean come on you're on a mountain! Just a heads up.
Other Thoughts: I played this course 4 years ago and it was fun but it was a long walk to the 1st tee pad and could get a little confusing navigating the course for a tourist like me. Luckily The Beaver Ranch Foothill Flyers DGC (I believe thats the name of the club) has redesigned the course a bit and now its a 23 hole course with more holes planned! There is clear signage for disc golf parking now as well as a trailer/disc store set up on your short walk to the new 1st tee pad. There is also little yellow arrows throughout the course to keep you on track and flowing smoothly. If you live near the Denver,Conifer,Bailey area or are in town visiting definitely play this course. Its only about 30 -40 min from downtown Denver and its a great drive up into the mountains as well. I look forward to playing this course again in the future.

Beaver Ranch

1    7/16/2014   5/11/2015
Review By: vcisjb
Pros: Even if you went here and didn't throw a disc its a gorgeous hike.
Tees are perfect, clearly marked, signage is perfection.
Excellent Pro-Shop
I love the "putting course" at the entry, good way to warm up.
Beaver Ranch Disc (how cool is that)
Cons: This will be a long hike. Just keep that in mind
Your disc will roll down the hill at the worst moment and it will make you cry, you were so close!
Other Thoughts: This is honestly the course I judge all other course I play by. One of the first "big boy" courses I played, so maybe I have a rose tinted glasses view of it, but really I remember it being darn near perfect.

Wish this was Home

1    4/27/2015   4/27/2015
Review By: Esiersdale
Pros: The course deserves minimum 4 stars for the views alone. Having a disc shop on site with used discs for first timers or travelers with small suitcases adds another .5. Then the golf, tight New England fairways coupled with wide open Texas style shots makes this the best of both worlds.
Cons: Challenges your game with extreme elevation changes, heavy Rocky Mountain winds, and the fatigue caused on your legs.

A must-play course in the Denver, CO area

1    3/14/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course is located in a beautiful forest area near Conifer, CO.
- There's a "pro-shop" on site, but was closed while I there.
- The course was clean and well kept.
- All of the tee boxes have concrete pads, benches, bag hangers, and signs that are actually useful.
- Many of the signs had a photograph, showing the view from the tee box, with an overlay of where to find the basket. I found this extremely helpful on several of the holes.
- The course has an amazing variety of elevation changes and various types of shots are needed here. Some were up hill, some were down hill, some were tunnel shots and some are wide-open. None of them are "super-easy" shots though.
- The landscape is really nice here and I sat on several of the benches just hanging out enjoying the views and peaceful area.
- You will see a fair amount of wildlife here.
Cons: - The course is roughly 8300ft. above sea level, which means the air is thin. If you're not used to the altitude, you will get tired quickly.
- I can't think of anything else to complain about; this course is just amazing.
Other Thoughts: If you're anywhere near Conifer/Denver, you need to play this course. The $5 course fee is worth every penny and I've never played a course that looked this professional or had as much effort put into it. I would have played two rounds but I was worn out after the first round. The altitude and climbing wore me out fast and I had to take a lot of breaks.

I recommend taking your time on this course, there's no need to rush. I enjoyed the scenery and peacefulness, and then I put some thought into my shots. Due to the huge elevation changes on some of the holes, you really have to choose your shots carefully. If you run at the chains from 75ft. and miss, you might be rolling 200ft. down the hill.

Beaver Believer

1    10/21/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Beaver Ranch in Conifer brings a cool mountain layout that will be fun for all levels of players, so long as hiking the persistent hills isn't a problem. Wear good shoes, because it is not tame terrain. The baskets are sweet, with a conical wire point on top, and a rim that is beveled in allowing high putts to deflect downward into the chains. The signs has bag holders on the posts. The tees were concrete, and there are 23 holes to be played, though my father and I arrived late in the afternoon and chose to bypass holes 11-14. A group of 4 was in front of us on hole 11, and the park closes at dusk. A sign pointed the shorter 19 hole loop and we took it. It looked as though the holes we missed were just as fun as the rest, with steep hillsides and trees. There is not super dense forrest, but few fairways are wide open. I like the fact most of the baskets are visible from the tee boxes. Visiting my first time, this saved me from extra walking to look where I'm throwing. The distance is pretty manageable overall, and a few holes have short tees as well. They are all fair at par 3, but not easy. Bad releases off the tee and bonking trees gave me a hard time, but I did bust out a few birdies and enjoyed the challenge. No exceptionally long holes and no water. A couple of short holes to start off with gentle upslope. I thought holes 3 and 4 is where it starts getting fun, the woods becoming more of an obstacle. Hole 9 is the always entertaining long, open, downhill bomb. Elevation drop enough to offset the increased distance, but one of the least wooded holes allows for more noticeable breezes. Wind was not strong, and the weather was beautiful for late October. Back half of the course was great. Really nicely mixed looks from hole to hole, changing the trajectory and shape often using trees and elevation change. So many fun holes. The course is in outstanding condition. There are a few nice benches around the course and they are very handy to catch your breath. Hardly a piece of litter, there was a couple of trash cans along the way.
Cons: Pay to play, worth the $5 if you ask me. A couple of average, still fun but just ok holes, 1 and 10 for example. DGCR media photo labels do not reflect the current layout, many of the same holes in different order. The championship caliber players could be underwhelmed with the difficulty, but I thought Beaver Ranch was still great. No envelopes at the pay station, and I wasn't sure exactly how the tags worked. Wrapped the wire around my cash, and crammed it in the slot after writing my name and car description on it.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course of a three day Colorado road trip with my Dad. We played one course each day, and the was the perfect start. He is over 60, smokes, and isn't in the best shape, but was capable of the physical demands. We had a blast once we were able to find the start of the course and deposit our $5 in the pay station. The park also had zip lines that were not in use at the time, a dog park, a nice event hall, making it a really nice community park. There were several practice baskets, and I think maybe even more holes in addition to the 23, it looked like.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17