Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch Share
Uploaded By: goatpiper Hole #16
Hole #16 Long Tee

1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
 I don't deserve to live so close to this place!

1    9/17/2009   9/19/2009
Review By: gravitysesh
Pros: Let's see:
- multiple pin placements on each hole and the guys who run the course are very active with changing pin placements.
-not as crowded as other popular front range courses.
- best pins/baskets I have ever seen! I think they are custom.
- signature hole 17 is epic!
- excellent mix of elevation, distance, and obstacles.
- great facilities and community.
- nice tee boxes with pictures and distances posted. They've done a lot to dig out the boxes, but natural material erodes and makes for some uneven and bumpy pads.
Cons: Some people complain about the half mile walk in. If you're that big of a slacker, Tiger Woods Golf on the Nintendo Wii has a disc golf mode. (It is actually kinda fun, but I will deny ever saying that if asked)

If they somehow improved the actual pad surface, this would be a 5 for sure! Don't get me wrong- they are actually pretty nice pads for natural, but that was from the sweat of those who volunteered to dig.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in Colorado. I have played almost all public courses in the front range and all the lift-accessed courses I can think of. I hear some private courses come close, but I can't imagine what a better one looks like!

First time. Unreal!

1    9/8/2009   9/9/2009
Review By: nathankendall
Pros: This is where you learn how to play the game. Concentration and skill is an absolute must. It was my first time playing on the course, and I'm happy with being bolgie every hole. +17. yeah I'm proud of that. Dave hit an ACE, and claimed at least 2 hundo in cash. I'm stoked to return on Tuesday. Thanks guys!
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: Always brings shoes!

Why didn't I play sooner

1    9/5/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: tmigchel
This review was updated on 1/4/2010
Pros: Great mountain settings-
Holes laid out very well with very cool fairways-
Signs in excellent condition-
Pretty easy to navigate-
Great mix of long/ short and unique holes-
Cool baskets that are marked well-
Not overgrown, but nature seemingly unaltered
Smoke huts and restrooms along the course blend well
Cons: I can't really think of any, maybe the half mile walk in, but be prepared to walk/ hike if your playing this course anyway so I guess its almost perfect
Other Thoughts: Wow. I can't believe how long I have lived here without making it out to Beaver Ranch. It is spectacular. Exactly what I am looking for in a course. Close to Denver and heavily wooded which you don't find in the Denver courses except maybe Blair Witch 9. Bring a camera and good shoes. Lots of elevation changes. Nearly perfect course, get there.

Sweet Mountain Course

2-4    8/28/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: ibgollie
This review was updated on 9/7/2009
Pros: -Great tee signs
-Fantastic design & layout
-Best mountain & woods course I have played
-Cool baskets, never seen those type before they're like a blend of Mach 5s and Disccatchers
-Very easy navigation
-Multiple pins can provide a large swing of difficulty. I played the front in all longs and the back was mostly short pins, but I was able to see the longer pins and this course could be very tough.
-Very technical, didn't use a ton of drivers, mostly long floating putters and mid range shots b/c if you don't control your disc it could go a really long way the wrong way on some of the holes.
Cons: The road base tee boxes get pretty lumpy and slippery at times. This is really the only thing that needs to be improved to make a 5 star course. I understand that concrete is impossible to install at this course, but rubber pads like Fly Pads or any other rubber pad would make this course perfect.
Other Thoughts: If you're going to play in the front range/Denver area this is the best course to play hands down. If you read my other reviews I tend to be pretty picky, but this course really is a very good course. Played it twice, shot -4 & -1.

sweet sweet course!

2-4    8/13/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: russkins
Pros: Everything about this course is amazing. The first hole is quite a sight. Once you get on top of the ridge you get a chance to play the ultimate wooded golf course. Alot of hole that are memorable, 5, 7 , 16 n 17 are by far the coolest holes ive ever played. Benches and bag holders on every hole, signs and paths are very well made. Also this course is the first time i have ever seen a mowed down fairways out in the middle of the forest!!! How cool is that!
Cons: NONE!
Other Thoughts: The first time in Colorado and wanted to play a nice wooded course and wow did this place not disapoint. If i ever get a chance to go back n play this course im not leaving any of my friends n fellow golfers behind even if i have to cram them in my suitcase because no golfer should go without playing this course!

You have to play it!!!

5+    8/20/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: DGWookie
This review was updated on 9/26/2009
Pros: Phenomenal course with a wide variety of challenges, and I don't mean just throwing your discs. The course is in mountainous terrain, so be prepared like you're going on a short hike. Two things I wish I had - #1 better shoes on my feet, #2 more liquids. The first 3 holes are up hill and will get the lungs working overtime. It is worth the climb!!! Weaving around and past the trees is no small task, but I surely didn't need my full bag of discs to get the job done. Also, rollers can really take off and have you on the hunt.

Wildlife
Wild flowers
Awesome scenery
Well maintained
Clean
Benches
Quiet and peaceful
Cons: nope
Other Thoughts: Take your camera!!!

Awesome Course!!!

2-4    8/14/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: klenglfr
Pros: Sweet course in the mountains. Lots of elevation changes. Multiple pins and a few holes have 2 tees. Signs show exactly where the pins could be. Not too challenging. Many ace chances. I almost had one but the chains didn't like me. Good workout for the legs and lungs if you are from Missouri like me. I absolutely loved it. Played it twice in one day. Signs have little messages on them that are kind of fun to read I guess.
Cons: Long ass walk to first tee. From parking lot take the path that goes along Foxton not the one that goes up the giant hill. I walked for over a mile up the wrong path before I found a hole and backtracked the course to #1. No trash cans.
Other Thoughts: Wouldn't recommend playing it with a sprained ankle like I did. Bring a camera.

AMAZING

1    7/20/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: meatbones132
Pros: F-ing AMAZING.

Most beautiful course I have ever seen. I ended up being rushed to get to my flight and had to skip holes 12-15 but that didn't ruin my time on the course.

Enormous pines throughout the entire course, natural tee boxes, each fairway open just enough to keep it challenging... and my god the views you get once you get to the top of the hill.

Cons: Signs could use a little work in leading you to the next hole and where exactly the pin is placed, but from what I understand it is a very enw course still.
Other Thoughts: Once the signs get updated this course is cream of the crop. When I go back next summer to do whitewater rafting you better believe I will be back at this gorgeous course.

Mountain Disc Golf at its Best

1    8/2/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: Neophyte
This review was updated on 8/12/2009
Pros: The fixtures on this course are amazing. I think only one of the 20 tees was missing a tee sign and/or bag holder. The tee signs themselves are awesome, brand new and they have the distance to every basket, a schematic of the hole and a photo of the hole as it looks from the tee indicating where the baskets are located. The tee boxes are dirt framed in with logs. I was concerned about possible mud because of all the rain but even with the incredible amount of rainfall this summer none of the tee boxes were even wet. I hope that they keep the dirt because it seems to work just fine and it complements the rustic nature of the course. Also I think it would be really hard to haul concrete up to some of those tees. The bag holders are nice steel hooks on all the tee signs. It is a nice change of pace from setting your bag down at every tee.
The location is incredible. The park is a great example of Colorado, arid, mountainous pine forest. While you are never too far from civilization you feel like you are deep in the woods. Some of the vistas that you are able to see while hiking (that is the correct term for this course) between holes are just breath taking.
The course has a nice mix of what would normally be considered medium and shorter holes. It also has a couple of longer (+300ft) holes, there is also a possibility for this course to play longer with the baskets in the alternate positions. However, most of these "short" holes seem fairly long because of the very technical nature of the course. The course layout takes full advantage of the extreme elevation changes and the densely wooded nature of the park. In fact having a big arm might even be a liability for some of the holes. I overthrew hole 9 and ended up 150 ft down the slope on the other side of the basket. There are a couple of chances to air it out on 16 and 17. Hole 17 is a beauty and I suggest throwing at least two drives from this tee just because of how fun it is to watch the disc fly from this elevated tee.
While this was the first time I played this course navigation was a none issue. The tee signs helpfully pointed out where the next tee was and there are well worn paths with logs on either side from the baskets to the next tee. So while this course is very long at 20 holes it is easy to find your way around.
Cons: While I consider none of the following points serious enough to detract from a "perfect" rating I mention them because others who are interested in playing this course might feel differently.
1) There is a solid 1/2 mile trail walk (hike) from the parking area to the first tee and then the same walk after the 21st hole. The route is well marked but it does take about 10 minutes each way. However, you might think of it as a warm up for the hike up the mountain to get to the 2nd tee.
2) This course is rugged. The approach to the first basket alone is a challenge. The course managers are putting in steps on this "fairway" to give an indication of how steep it is. However, once you get to the 2nd tee it is just minor (in comparison) elevation changes from there to the end of the course. You will need some good shoes with solid tread to navigate this course. I even saw one group with a jogging stroller...probably not a good idea for this course.
3) While there are alternate basket locations for all the holes there is only one hole (17) that has more than one permanent basket at the moment. On some courses this might have knocked my rating down to a 4.5 but here the course is so varied and unique it compensates for only having one basket on most holes. Also this is mitigated by the fact that this is a very new course and improvements are happening all the time. I think before all is said and done there will be at least two permanent baskets on all the holes.
This is an awesome course hacked into a Colorado mountainside and worthy of a "Best of the Best" rating.
Other Thoughts: I grew up in this area and then went to the east coast for school. I didn't start playing disc golf until last summer and I was amazed to find out that there was such a great course so close to my old home in Colorado.
In addition to being so close to my family's home this course will probably always have sentimental value for me because I got my first ace here on Hole 7. I even had a witness to see it smash the center of the chains and land in the basket.

Hurts so Good

2-4    7/25/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: Face
Pros: -Beautiful scenery
-Close to Denver
-New signage makes this place even better
-Its difficulty, its great to get taken down a few pegs by a course.
-definately THE mountain course in Colorado
Cons: -None that I can think of
Other Thoughts: As a newer player I figured I would review this course from my perspective. It is a very difficult course and there are a lot of times where you find yourself thinking "oh man, I dont know what Im gonna do here" and in some ways thats bad but in most ways thats awesome.

This course is excellent in a way that it gives you something to work for. Its almost like the course says "So you think you're doing alright...think again"

If you get a chance I would say play it, no matter what your skill level because the experience is great and it gives you a tangeble goal to work towards.

1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16