Conifer, CO

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
What a hike!

1    9/25/2012   7/17/2013
Review By: Golden Tuna
Pros: When we decided to vacation in Colorado, this was the type of course I expected. The terrain is very mountainous, so bring a good pair of hiking shoes and enough water for the round. If you're a flatlander, you'll need to take a break by the time you get to hole 4 because the first 3 holes are practically straight up hill. Despite the terrain, they were able to design a variety of different holes and you never really throw the same shot twice. The signage was clear and easy to follow and the course flowed well. I really liked the cool little touches, like the original benches, hole sponsors, tee signs and bag hangers. The views are great, even from the trees and the holes are a lot of fun to play while offering a good challenge. Also, there is too much fun for 18 holes so they added a few more. You certainly get your moneys worth at this course.
Cons: There is a bit of a hike from the parking lot to get to hole 1, but I'm glad they did that instead of throwing in a useless "field" hole. I also prefer concrete tee pads, but (on a course like this) I think natural tee pads are more appropriate. I really can't make any negative comments. At first, I was a little bummed out that it was pay to play, but after I finished my round, I was more than happy to donate more to the cause because this course is awesome and I'd love to play it again when I come back later.
Other Thoughts: There are some really cool things on the course that you don't typically see, like the tee pee on hole 5 or the zip line. We were there early in the morning, so no one else was really on the course, but we did see one zip liner when we were leaving and it looked awesome!

How mountain disc golf should be

2-4    6/20/2013   7/9/2013
Review By: jfrosty42
Pros: Great variety - This course will require every shot in the bag. The holes never seem repetitive and each one is great in its own way. I can't think of a hole that disappoints me. Some holes are shorter, but require a lot of accuracy. There's multiple pin locations that are moved every now and then.

Fun elevation changes - Everything from straight up a hill to across a valley and down hills.

Excellent tee signs - very detailed with accurate distances.

Benches everywhere - I'm pretty sure there's one on every hole! This kicks ass because this course will take it out of you.

Clean course - Very minimal trash. Trash cans are abundant.
Cons: Pay to play - This is also a Pro in my opinion.

Some tee pads are natural and can get rocky - The pads that are concrete are great. They're a good size. The natural tee pads out there aren't terrible, as I've played on worse, but they aren't great.

Hole 14 - Not much of a fairway when the basket is long. Although, it is possible to hit a lucky/perfect line.
Other Thoughts: This course is challenging, beautiful, and just a lot of fun. It's a great change of pace from Denver area courses which are mainly open layouts. HIGHLY recommended for everyone!

Denver Trip

1    6/14/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: DGTEXAS
Pros: This course is absolutely amazing! The course is played on a mountain and is challenging, I highly reccommend playing this one if you are ever in the Denver area! There are some great views and wildlife in the area!
Cons: None!
Other Thoughts: I should've packed a lighter bag, the walk from the parking lot was 1/2 a mile and the first 3 holes are straight up the mountain, bring plenty of water and pace yourself! After the third hole it was smooth sailing!

I'll definately be back!!!

Disc golf Heaven!

2-4    5/7/2013   5/14/2013
Review By: Mooser81
Pros: This is a must for all disc golf players, whether you are a pro or simply a beginner! Bring your best hiking shoes, water and patience as the course begins straight up the mountain and is challenging from first to last!
Cons: That we didn't find it sooner
Other Thoughts: Do it! With many similar courses charging upwards of $20, this is well worth the challenge every time!

My favorite course of all time!!

5+    4/20/2013   5/3/2013
Review By: ttuff
This review was updated on 6/19/2013
Pros: This course is wonderful in nearly every way. Great design, great scenery, great maintenance, and well spaced so you don't notice the neighboring holes. This course takes several hours to play and includes a great deal of hiking and punishment for errant throws. Trash cans (seasonally) and benches at every tee box and wood-chip greens around many baskets. Go play this course today!
Cons: A great course and skilled advertising means that development is booming at Beaver Ranch. It's great that so many people are enjoying the area but the land managers seem to be struggling to properly manage that growth. There is a zipline popular with tourist and social groups that can often overcrowd the area and highlight the lack of permanent toilets or proper parking lots. The course is accessible from two locations (not officially) and many people start on the back half to save themselves the walk to hole one. This tends to cause massive backups and tee-box lines as these people squeeze themselves into the normal flow of play of groups that started at hole 1. Dogs have always been a wonderful addition to this course but the crowds of people can often lead to crowds of dogs and subsequent conflicts between dogs.
Crowded is the name of the game these days. Unfortunately, the area is not set up to handle the traffic properly so you can often find yourself frustrated with the park or with people around you. I think the Beaver ranch land managers are going to spend a lot of time thinking about these problems over the next couple years and I hope they can pursue long-term development and revenue planning rather than chasing the short-term payouts given by fad attractions (e.g. zipline, ropes course, alpine slide, etc.). This place is too wonderful, please don't let this become Heritage Square.

Conifer Park review

1    8/31/2012   4/5/2013
Review By: Burd
Pros: Amazing scenery at this course and elevation changes are great also. Definitely a course for more experienced throwers due to the amount of trees and hiking involved. One of the best, cleanest, and most upkept courses I've played to date.
Cons: A bit of a walk to hole 1 that isn't very well explained on signs for people new to the course. But maps of the course available right when you walk in help.

My first love...

2-4    7/14/2012   1/29/2013
Review By: Dirty D
Pros: -big up and down shots
-clean
-not crowded
-beautiful basket & benches
Cons: None - I need more oxygen cans next time
Other Thoughts: This was my 3rd time playing the course but 1st time playing completely. The course is beautiful and in great shape. Hole #17 is my favorite next time ill have to try Basket 'E' Why are you still reading this? Go Throw!

Love them Mountains

1    10/15/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Amazing foothill/mountain scenery. Everywhere you look there are mountains, trees, rock structures. Fresh mountain air.
-Lots of elevation makes for a challenging round.
-Fast and challenging greens.
-Multiple pin positions on every hole. Up to 5 per hole.
-Some breathtaking downhill shots, it is fun to throw that far without too much effort.
-Its proximity to Magic Meadow, Phantom Falls, and Bailey. I don't know of a better destination.
-A perfect amount of trees/rough. This course takes awhile to play but it isn't because you are looking for discs.
-I liked the Disc In baskets. Similar to Innovas but the slanted top makes for more high shots going in.
-Working on concrete tees, the natural ones aren't bad either
-Signage is great. Has par, distance, and possible pin placements with a real picture of the hole.
-The course is really easy to find, near the town of Conifer.
-Benches on every hole, you might need to use them here and there.
-Maps and bathroom at parking lot.
-Foothill Flyers put a lot of work in here.
-Bag hangers keep your bags off the dusty mountain ground.
Cons: -If you're out of shape, this will be hard. Lots of hiking up and down hills at 8000+ feet.
-If you're not the best, this will get frustrating.
-There was at least one hole that I thought luck played more of a factor than skill in that pin position.
-The walk to the first tee isn't too bad but the course is long! They should make a parking lot closer to hole 1.
-Great courses can be crowded.
-I wouldn't mind a few more ace runs- I think there may have been a lot more in the shorter pin positions.
Other Thoughts: One of the main complaints I have seen against this course is the lack of longer holes/par 4s and 5s. When I played, all pins were in "C" position and some of the holes were pretty long. It was plenty challenging for me. This course is pay to play which I feel is a good thing but due to varying opinions on the topic I didn't put it into the pros or cons. This course keeps you interested and on your toes. It was a blast and I can't wait to get down and play it again.

throwin plastic in the woods!

5+    0/0/0000   10/15/2012
Review By: ryanbutel
This review was updated on 10/23/2012
Pros: This course is My favorite course in Colorado a hands down must play! Its quite peaceful out in these mountains just relaxing and throwing some plastic. Wish I lived in Conifer just to play this course on a daily basis! The Tee pads are getting cemented!!! Which makes for better footing and grip also more consistant accurate and power throws. This is one of the more challenging couses in colorado which I love!!!
Cons: 3$ to play but who's complaining?
Other Thoughts: legit course! a must play

Superb mountain course with tons of balance and beautiful "look"- I just wish it had a water hazard!

1    9/12/2011   9/19/2012
Review By: superberry
Pros: The scenic beauty of this course was great. The remote and peaceful setting is what put me in a great state of mind and set my mood off right. I didn't see another group the entire time (was playing on a Monday morning though). The balance is excellent and the variety is just about as good (just lacking some good water hazards). Left, right, straight, uphill, downhill, across hill, and good varying distances all balance out this top notch, fun to play course. There are 2-3 pin placements on most holes, so do some scouting and experience the variety, and most of the A-pins appear to offer great ace runs for most players. I'd love to live here so I could play all the different variations more often. The sloping terrain offers great risk/reward punishment for shanked drives that sail away without control, and botched putts that roll away. Once on top of the hill you are treated to some amazing vistas across the tops of the treelines. Despite the feel that you're playing up and down a hill under the pines, the rolling meadow up top offers the balance I crave and gets you out of a pure 'mountain course' frame of mind by offering some room to air it out, and take in some beautiful views. Memorable holes are so many I had to start making notes and keeping a list. #13 has a picturesque 'mini-meadow' landing zone with an upshot to a risky mound green. #17 is a great downhill bomber that is actually more controllable and beautiful than the last hole. It offers 5 pin placements with D being the best for a blue level player. After pegging the pole on a skipped first drive, I stood on the tee and unloaded my bag with multiple ace runs. The huge downhill 600' bomber is a tad too tight (visually to see your landing or watch shanked drives sail away), but nonetheless a breathtaking hole with a great shot opportunity. There are mandos on 13, 15, 16 that add to the variety and uniqueness. I don't mind the long walk to the first hole. It's needed to get past the zipline area and it gives you a chance to warm up prior to walking straight uphill for the first three holes! There is a bathroom up on top by hole 14.
Cons: Just one teepad on most holes is a huge con, but I understand they are probably hard to access up there to build more. It's my personal preference to have nice short recreational tee available for a wider range of players (for example bringing a noob, wife, kids, etc to also be able to experience this great course). Lack of a good true water hazard eliminates the absolute variety I crave in courses, but the elevation here offers the huge downhill bomber that most courses simply do not have the terrain for. #14 Cpin is mostly a junk crapshoot through some aspen or birch trees, I'd love to see the local route.
Other Thoughts: I was travelling for work, and made it a point to leave early and fly on Sept 11, despite the rantings and crying of my wife, so I could get there a day early and play Conifer and Phantom Falls. I unpacked my usual bag taking more lighter and understable plastic due to previous high elevation throwing experience I had, and I dismantled my wife's smaller mini-revo bag and jammed it all into a bag to check at the airline (I did find room for a few other work clothes, but they took a backseat to my disc golf priorities on this business trip). I had been in contact with Paulie from Phantom Falls and he tried to warn me about the dirty 56, but it made no difference because I was going to get these courses in. I landed late Sunday night, drank a bunch at CB & Potts to allow me to sleep despite all my excitement, and I was still up by 6am, ready to head out and play Conifer. I finished the 20 holes here, and proceeded to head to Phantom Falls, the dirty 56 were no issue at all, it felt good to stretch after the flight and a hungover sleepless morning . This course alone is worth the drive from the metro area and an outstanding tough, balanced, beautiful, and challenging course. I hear plans are in place for another 18-20 holes and OMG will that yield a ton more variety and fun! Hopefully some water can be found to bring into play, but I'm sure the creative minds will put together something to please everyone. There are ziplines and tons of great hiking at this park too.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16