Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park Share
Uploaded By: goatpiper Hole #16
Hole #16 Long Tee

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15
throwin plastic in the woods!

5+    0/0/0000   10/15/2012
Review By: ryanbutel
This review was updated on 10/23/2012
Pros: This course is My favorite course in Colorado a hands down must play! Its quite peaceful out in these mountains just relaxing and throwing some plastic. Wish I lived in Conifer just to play this course on a daily basis! The Tee pads are getting cemented!!! Which makes for better footing and grip also more consistant accurate and power throws. This is one of the more challenging couses in colorado which I love!!!
Cons: 3$ to play but who's complaining?
Other Thoughts: legit course! a must play

Superb mountain course with tons of balance and beautiful "look"- I just wish it had a water hazard!

1    9/12/2011   9/19/2012
Review By: superberry
Pros: The scenic beauty of this course was great. The remote and peaceful setting is what put me in a great state of mind and set my mood off right. I didn't see another group the entire time (was playing on a Monday morning though). The balance is excellent and the variety is just about as good (just lacking some good water hazards). Left, right, straight, uphill, downhill, across hill, and good varying distances all balance out this top notch, fun to play course. There are 2-3 pin placements on most holes, so do some scouting and experience the variety, and most of the A-pins appear to offer great ace runs for most players. I'd love to live here so I could play all the different variations more often. The sloping terrain offers great risk/reward punishment for shanked drives that sail away without control, and botched putts that roll away. Once on top of the hill you are treated to some amazing vistas across the tops of the treelines. Despite the feel that you're playing up and down a hill under the pines, the rolling meadow up top offers the balance I crave and gets you out of a pure 'mountain course' frame of mind by offering some room to air it out, and take in some beautiful views. Memorable holes are so many I had to start making notes and keeping a list. #13 has a picturesque 'mini-meadow' landing zone with an upshot to a risky mound green. #17 is a great downhill bomber that is actually more controllable and beautiful than the last hole. It offers 5 pin placements with D being the best for a blue level player. After pegging the pole on a skipped first drive, I stood on the tee and unloaded my bag with multiple ace runs. The huge downhill 600' bomber is a tad too tight (visually to see your landing or watch shanked drives sail away), but nonetheless a breathtaking hole with a great shot opportunity. There are mandos on 13, 15, 16 that add to the variety and uniqueness. I don't mind the long walk to the first hole. It's needed to get past the zipline area and it gives you a chance to warm up prior to walking straight uphill for the first three holes! There is a bathroom up on top by hole 14.
Cons: Just one teepad on most holes is a huge con, but I understand they are probably hard to access up there to build more. It's my personal preference to have nice short recreational tee available for a wider range of players (for example bringing a noob, wife, kids, etc to also be able to experience this great course). Lack of a good true water hazard eliminates the absolute variety I crave in courses, but the elevation here offers the huge downhill bomber that most courses simply do not have the terrain for. #14 Cpin is mostly a junk crapshoot through some aspen or birch trees, I'd love to see the local route.
Other Thoughts: I was travelling for work, and made it a point to leave early and fly on Sept 11, despite the rantings and crying of my wife, so I could get there a day early and play Conifer and Phantom Falls. I unpacked my usual bag taking more lighter and understable plastic due to previous high elevation throwing experience I had, and I dismantled my wife's smaller mini-revo bag and jammed it all into a bag to check at the airline (I did find room for a few other work clothes, but they took a backseat to my disc golf priorities on this business trip). I had been in contact with Paulie from Phantom Falls and he tried to warn me about the dirty 56, but it made no difference because I was going to get these courses in. I landed late Sunday night, drank a bunch at CB & Potts to allow me to sleep despite all my excitement, and I was still up by 6am, ready to head out and play Conifer. I finished the 20 holes here, and proceeded to head to Phantom Falls, the dirty 56 were no issue at all, it felt good to stretch after the flight and a hungover sleepless morning . This course alone is worth the drive from the metro area and an outstanding tough, balanced, beautiful, and challenging course. I hear plans are in place for another 18-20 holes and OMG will that yield a ton more variety and fun! Hopefully some water can be found to bring into play, but I'm sure the creative minds will put together something to please everyone. There are ziplines and tons of great hiking at this park too.

Fun and challenging mountain course

5+    8/16/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: EvergreenJC
Pros: Great course design and this course will require a lot of shot making. A good mix of short ace holes and a few bomber holes. This used to be my favorite course and has potential to be even better than it already is.
Cons: The tee boxes are poorly maintained, who am I kidding they aren't maintained at all.

There's an often less than chipper ranger that will hunt you down for your $3, even if you've already paid he'll want to check.
Other Thoughts: A good course and the design is awesome. However, whoever is collecting the money on this course is NOT putting it back into the course.

I recommend going down the road to Bailey DGC or Mountain Meadows DGP. At both the fees are put directly back into the course.

beautiful and challenging

1    8/18/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: joeharker
Pros: great mountain view
very well kept
excellent layout
clear where to find next tee
diverse challenges
from tree dodging, to open long bomb, to crazy elevation challenges
Cons: missing the fairway can cause some brutal rollers down the hills

1    8/16/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: bobmcnelly
Pros: Great course, huge tee pads, great signs that show alt positions, distance and maps. The course has the best variety of shots I've ever seen. Huge distance shots and tight tree shots, huge elevation change. Huge course that makes you feel like your in a different world.
Cons: Theres about a 3/4 of a mile walk to the first tee pad. I would like to see some stairs put in on some of the steeper parts. I really wish they had concrete or rubber tee pads.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've ever played, they just need some practice baskets along the hike in to make it feel a little more accessible.

Best Mountain Course

2-4    8/4/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: Shogun
Pros: This course is where its at. Super steep inclines, narrow techincal shots, steep cliffs for your disc to roll down half the mountain on, and just extremely fun in general. The Tees are all well maintained, same with the baskets. Most holes have a bench and tons of shade around to relax as u wait for others to throw. Hole 17 is the long bomber hole even if you go for the Amatuer tee. You will want to empty your bag at it. Same with 20. Coming off the mountain headed back toward hole 1's tee is an amazing site.
Cons: Hole 10!! Dont over throw this hole!! Your disc will disappear off a cliff right at the edge of the tree line and be swallowed by the mountain.
Other Thoughts: Probably the best and toughest course I have played. If you havent checked it out, its time for a road trip!!

Excellent Mountain Course

1    8/7/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: tbsox
Pros: This course has anything you may want out of a massive mountain course. Given its built on a mountain most holes use that built in challenge accordingly. A lot of short to medium range precision shots using the trees well. 10 has a zip line near the end of the hole. It's an easy roll to get down to where they are but it would be a long overthrown to hit them above the ankles. 17 and 18 were my favorites. 17 is a hillside to hillside shot that is also the longest drive of the day. It has two pins, amateur and pro. The pro pin goes half way up the hill across from the tee. Its a hell of a shot even if you can drive the valley. More to the point the view is phenomenal. 18 is also a great view. Much shorter hole but similar design.

As a whole the course uses the landscape to its advantage extremely well. Great amenities around the course. It has a few holes that clearly have that wow factor and none that fail to fit within the flow of the course.
Cons: The first 3 holes are just straight up. I feel like its nitpicking but its a hell of a way to start a round. Honestly the only reason I felt like this course wasn't a clear 5 was someone wasn't there to offer a short course tour before the round began like Phantom Falls offers, and the 3/4 mile walk into the beginning of the course. The walk there didn't seem nearly as bad as the one back to the trailhead after we finished.
Other Thoughts: Bring water (some of the 4 legged ones as well). Its long and dry. A camera is a good idea too. Other than one hole this course doesn't have a long hole on it, but the 300' holes are challenging enough for most players as they often require very precise shot shaping.

The Beaver Belongs In The Top 10!

1    7/12/2012   7/14/2012
This review was updated on 7/20/2012
Pros: I don't know where to start? The amazingly beautiful mountain scenery. The variety of elevation used with the uphills, downhill and across the mountain throws required. Or the top of the line amenities everywhere on the course. The great wooden benches on most holes complete with sponsors name and business information. Solid tee signs with pictures of the hole and all the other info you need. The alternate tee positions. Only the niftiest bag hangers ever. Not just hangers but custom made bag hangers looking like little bags. The pads are natural and in almost every case were smooth and provided as much run-up as needed.
The scattered pine forrest is just the perfect terrain for a disc golf course. It's lovely, it's easy to find errant throws and it smells just like a pine forrest room air freshner.
There's a wooden shelter built on # 4 to get out of the elements if needed, kind of like a tepee, I guess.
# 10 plays right next to a zipline . Nice to take a break and watch the folks go flying down the mountain on their zipline. Don't overthrow 10 though, you could conk a zipliner before they zipline. They might zipline down the mountain without a zipline! A disc-line!
The 8000' elevation will have you feeling it on some of the climbs especially the first couple of holes.
Cons: The 3/4 mile walk in and out after the grueling 20 holes in not something I was looking forward to. I solved part of that problem by walking up to the road and hitching a ride back to the ranger station.
There are no epic 500'-600' throws here. I'm sure some of the big arms might miss that. I thought # 16, 17 and 20 were all pretty awesome downhill throws. The overall challenge probably isn't here for the advanced to pro player. They might think the course is a little tame.
Other Thoughts: Man, I go back and forth between a 4.5 and a 5 on this course. The long walk-in and walk-out and the over-all challenge concern me. But in the end, if I was I was an advanced player, I'd much rather come here and shoot minus 8 in this spectacular mountain paradise then shoot par at a more challenging course that's not nearly as visually stimulating. I gotta go with 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conifer / Beaver Ranch

2-4    6/22/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: Moss
Pros: Lots of technical and challenging holes. You don't get a lot of heavily forested holes down in Denver, so this entire course is a treat.

Beautiful environment. Good signs. Benches at every hole. Really a quality experience.
Cons: In a few places, if you put a disc on edge, it might roll hundreds of feet down the mountain!

If had to choose a legitimate con, there were some uneven dirt tees that you could slip on.
Other Thoughts: This course was really fun. I checked it out on a weekday afternoon, and couldn't wait to bring my buddies up here to see it. A totally different experience than the courses in the city.

Some people might consider the steep climbs and occasionally difficult terrain a con, but I think it just adds to the experience. Bring good shoes.

Also, make sure to bring cash to pay for the required daily tags.

Both times I've played have been a blast. Highly recommended.

A little hiking never hurt anyone

1    6/12/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: MapsFly
Pros: Easy to find driving.
For a mountain course there is only a moderate chance of losing a disc.
Scenery is beautiful; most holes follow the broad ridgeline therefore, once you have climbed the ridge (holes 1-2), then the rest is less extreme hiking.
Good mix of hole length, elevation change, fairways, and pin placements.
Nice signage and benches which this course definitely needs to let players rest.
Cons: Tee pads: Natural tee pads; you need concrete to allow the full array of advanced and pro player shot possibilities; it is also a safety issue when grip is insufficient.
The Walk: Flat but long walk from parking lot to beginning and end of the course. Reduce non-course walking in the spirit of having fun and being at your best when playing disc golf. Throwing after a long walk and big uphill on #1 may cause some players not used to mountain courses to be off their game (accuracy and strength).
Death rolls: several steep hills provide an opportunity for long (200 ft.) rollaways.
Other Thoughts: Not all courses can get away with a pay-to-play model, but this course is worth paying to allow the park administrators to continually improve on a great course. Disc golf has grown up with a culture of "free-to-play" but a sustainable model of disc golf as a professional sport will require an increasing number of courses to charge.
I don't recommend flying in the night before from sea level and play Conifer and Phantom Falls in the same day; I had nothing left to give Conifer but it sure was beautiful. To really enjoy the course, I think you need to plan to play it several times over several days.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15