Conifer, CO

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
  First Review

2-4    7/25/2011   7/26/2011
Review By: sctsl
Pros: I just started playing disc golf this season, so my perspective may be somewhat different from the more experienced players out there, but in a nut shell this sport and this course are awesome. I cannot believe it took me so long to do this. I am always trying new things and this sport has somehow evaded me up to now.

This is the first course I ever played, and what an introduction. I am a native of the area so the terrain itself was not an issue, but trying to not lose my discs took concentrated focus. I have played this course 3 times now and have lost 2 discs and found one. If you get an out of control, or unintentional roller you are in trouble here. Most of the holes are on a steep slope that has the potential to deposit your disc far out of sight.

Of the three times I have played this course this year we have been interrupted twice by heavy rain and hail. The Colorado Rockies are like that! Luckily there is a structure (outhouse) that lies near the #13 green that is fairly accessible from anywhere on the course that has been a life saver on both occasions. Several weeks ago there was a large canvas wall tent there as well, but it is gone now. Also near the #5 tee is a large makeshift teepee type structure built onto the trunk of a tree that would provide partial shelter (protect you from hail).

I so far have played only one other course that I will not review because I have nothing good to say about it, but my point is that I do not have much in the way of experience to compare to, but this course is so much fun that it may be a long time before I get around to any others. Every time I have a chance to play (and someone to play with) I head to this course.

On Aug 1st, 2011, it looks like they will begin charging a $3.00 green fee to play. Again with no experience to fall back on I do not see this as a deterrent. $3.00 seems reasonable to me.
Cons: I lost 2 discs here! lol

Absolutely Amazing

1    7/17/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: OkieDave
Pros: Agreed with most other reviews. This is truly an amazing course.

-Bag Hanggers
-Super fun layout of course
-Benches
-Signage
-Scenery
-Hole #17, 20, 8, 18
Cons: None in my opinion
Other Thoughts: This was my first course to play in Denver while visiting. I took my brother-in-law and he had never played before. He did amazing. What a course to play your first round of disc golf. A new addict was born. I can't wait to play this course again.

very physically demanding

2-4    7/12/2011   7/16/2011
Review By: inuse23
Pros: Very challenging.
Incredible scenery.
Bag hangers
Concrete Tee's
Tipi at tee 5
Cons: Very challenging.
The first 3 holes are pretty much straight uphill
It can be exhausting for if you're used to flat courses.
Other Thoughts: This course is simply amazing. The first time I played it I was worn out by the 5th hole. I've never played a course with a more difficult first hole. It's not a very good course for beginners but everyone should appreciate the beauty.

Great and Challenging

5+    6/21/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: LDietz
Pros: Every hole is different. Every hole is a challenge. Even if you don't play disc golf, walking the course is great exercise. I'm new to this sport and I've played courses in CO, KS, and GA. This is by far the most fun.
Cons: Tee pads get a lot of wear and often are not level due to usage. This is a minor inconvenience that in no way spoils the game.
Other Thoughts: A really nice place to both enjoy a sport, get some exercise, and visit with Mother Nature.

awesome mountain course

5+    7/13/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: gmarteeny
Pros: the course is very challenging requiring many different shots to get to the basket, with many risk versus reward shots due to roll off potential. the scenery and overall mountain atmosphere are just great. the course is well marked and easy to follow with benches at many of the tee boxes as well as bag hangers at every tee box.
Cons: there is some hiking involved and it's not for the slackers, the half mile walk in is quite easy despite what some might say and serves as a good warm up for the course.
Other Thoughts: bring water and hiking shoes you will need them both at some point

Awesome course!!

1    5/21/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: tcumpton
Pros: This was by far the best course I have played and got a very good excersize as well. A super challenging course that will have you testing everyone of the shots in your bag. There are couple of very "aceable" holes in the course. Even on the hottest day it stays cool because off the trees that shade thing. Everyone that is around the area of the course are other playres so they are aware of their surroundings and other disc golfers throwing. There are some very long shots that will have you amazed when you step up to throw.
Cons: The only things that were a tiny bit of a problem was the hike up to the first t-pad and after a rain we went and the was a small a mount off water on a couple of pads, but other than that absolutely amazing.
Other Thoughts: Very easy to loose discs so watch exactly where your disc goes. with all of the trees that looks the same its hard to tell which one your disc is laying under if you take your eye off. I looked for my buzzz forever after seeing it land under a tree and then forgetting which tree so I looked around for it forever.

Off to a good start, needs just a few more tweaks...

2-4    5/9/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: cpaquette
This review was updated on 7/16/2011
Pros: This is one of the ultimate mountain courses providing both amazing scenery and dramatic elevation changes on nearly every hole. Hole 17 is one of my all time favorites as you have a severe downhill shot to one of two basket locations. The trees and drop-offs near many of the baskets make several holes here a formidable challenge, even for advanced players. There are plenty of opportunities to throw just about any type of shot you can think of on this course which I really liked.
Cons: The signage and tee pads on this course leaves something to be desired. I don't feel this can be considered a 5 rating course until the tee pads are concrete. Like others I felt the parking lot could be a bit closer to the first and last hole.
Other Thoughts: DO NOT ATTEMPT to play this course with just tennis shoes, you need hiking boots, tons of water and someone who has played the course before so you don't get frustrated like I did my first round here. This course does have a TON of potential and has one of the most "unspoiled" natural settings I've seen. Please keep it that way and pick up after yourselves.

Mountain Gem

2-4    7/2/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: orion487
Pros: A true mountain course, this is what you expect from Rocky Mountain disc golf. Most holes have severe elevation changes, either along the fairway, near the pin (especially frightening), or both, with more than a few opportunities for deadly roll-aways. Don't be fooled, though, this course is tightly wooded. Add this to the elevation changes, and its one tough course.

The course begins with an incredibly steep hole straight uphill. Honestly, the pictures don't do the slope justice, its an incredible hole. I won't go over every hole here, I'll just try and hit the highlights. Nearly every hole has some sort of elevation in play. 2 and 3 are tight uphill doglegs where its easy to get into trouble. 10 plays down to a blind pin sloping down the mountain, and is short but truly terrifying. The next few holes play perpendicular to the slope, where its imperative to play the proper fade. 16 and 17 are the bomber holes, where the course starts to open up some. On 17 the basket is either at the bottom of the slope or directly across the valley, and is incredibly fun. No mountain course could be complete without a wide open, downhill ski-slope type hole. 20 is fairly wooded, especially near the basket, but is nearly as steep downhill as 1 is uphill, and is a great challenge. Throw to hard or with the wrong angle, and you could easily be 100' down at the bottom of the mountain. Not sure if 21 is officially part of the course yet. If not, I believe it will be soon. The pin is ~400' or so, fairly downhill, with the front of a creek bordered by thick brush 261' away. A wide open hole, it makes for a tough decision of whether to go for it or lay up if you can't throw ~350' consistently.

As far as course maintenance goes, the course has been immaculate every time I've been. Because of the fire danger, I believe most of the course is smoke-free, so cigarette butts aren't an issue. Many of the baskets have a sloping upper belt that directs the discs down into the chains, which is a definite pro in preventing death rolls.

Signature Hole - Has to be #1, the steps, the slope, and the view back down from the top. Hell of a way to start off the round.
Cons: Its hard to find much wrong with this course. Some people complain about the half-mile hike to hole 1, but its really not a huge issue. Maybe its just me being from the midwest, but I'll never get sick of the view when walking to the first tee.

As much as I want to, I just can't rate this course a 5. Its nothing explicit about the hole design or course layout, but it just feels like a little something's missing. In some ways, it seems like there's a lack of strategy on many of the holes. Often, the tees are more guarded than the pins, and its more a matter of execution than strategy. I'm sure this is partly my personal preference and partly the pin locations I've played, but I'm left wanting a little more.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is well worth the drive from the Denver area, whether you live there or are just visiting. They take great care of this course, and I've heard rumors of them installing another course on the property sometime in the future. It keeps getting better and better, with benches and permanent signs at most holes, with more to come.

Also, It'd be a crime to not plug the temporary course in Bailey (15 min or so down the road, left at Rosalie Rd, left past the coffee stand, and left at the gate) that is going to try and stay open through summer 2011. In my opinion, its a bit better than Conifer, but they need you're support to turn it into a permanent course. So play and please pay the $5 donation to keep the course running (they need to pay the school for the land, as well as to buy permanent baskets). Absolutely no smoking (of anything) or drinking on the course, or they may not allow disc golfers back. Help support the growth of the game in the Colorado foothills!

Championship Course

5+    6/6/2011   6/26/2011
Review By: StoneWallKid
This review was updated on 6/12/2012
Pros: Great Teeboxes, signage, and Benches. There are even little hooks to hang your bag. If your looking for elevation in a course this is bursting with it! Hole #1 is practically up a ladder. It undulates from there. There is a good mix of distance and obstacles. With a few shorties thrown in. While most of the holes are memorable there are still a few signature holes that really stick out. 5,8,11,14,16,17,20 are some of my favorites. There are some HUGE off the side of mountain shots that are super fun.

Oh yeah, it GORGEOUS!!
Cons: It's a half mile walk from the parking lot to the first/last hole. So there's an extra mile of walking on top of tackling this mountain. Its hard to find your discs in the snow. (RIP green Groove). While the layout and elevation change alot, the terrain is all the same. Its all pine trees and dirt/rock (except 14-16)
Other Thoughts: Overall one of my favorites! Its definitely tiring though. I always throw my hole bag on 17.. Its a great tee!

Another Colorado Mountain Gem!

5+    9/5/2011   6/12/2011
Review By: Sandman1981
This review was updated on 9/8/2011
Pros: This is a championship caliber course that keeps getting better every time I play it. Course plays tight as well as open for thos long bombing throws. The mixture of technicality combined with the physically exhausting factor of the hike keeps you on your toes and begs for you to dare a play your 'A' game.
The scenery is great and if you don't bring your camera you will be sorry you didn't. This is a course that should be on your to play list if you have not already visited. I am addicted to two courses and this is one of them!
With multiple pin placements on many holes, this course transforms from an awesome rec course that will still beat on you into a championship monster. Make sure if you don't have a group behind you to play both the E and C pins on 17!!!
Cons: Half mile walk to the first hole is the worst part if I had to come up with cons. The only other thing that would make this better would be if there were trash cans or people who can pack it out after they bring it in. This is a beautiful course, please keeps it that way.
Other Thoughts: I've heard rumors from good sources that the tee pads are going to be upgraded to concrete within a year as well as the addition of another course right next to it. This place keeps getting better and the measly 3 dollar fee to play this course is more than worth it!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16