Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ   (Taken 8/2008)
Warning: Bears & Mountain Lions

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
almost perfect

1    8/7/2014   9/3/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -great variety, great amenities, great golf, great scenery
-high fun factor, signature holes, easier to score well than Bailey
-now with all concrete tee pads
-recently underwent a partial redesign: a few new holes and the course has been renumbered, the new hole 1 right next to the parking lot and pay station/shop
-a few alternate tee pads and many alternate pin locations
-beautiful, picturesque setting with great elevation changes
Cons: -brutal roll aways on these hills, part of the game!
-it's a long round and a serious hike, bummer that it is one big loop that never comes back to the shop/parking lot in the middle of the round
-only a small handful of longer holes, only 4 over 350'
-no water hazard

i really don't have much to say here, the course really is almost perfect.
Other Thoughts: Beaver Ranch has earned it's reputation as one of the best courses in Colorado and a national top ten contender. It combines great elevation and thick, mature woods with high quality amenities in a gorgeous mountain setting. The experience is phenomenal all around.

After over 150 reviews, I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been said but I'd like to add my opinion where it perhaps differs from the norm. Beaver Ranch is kind of like an ultimate par 3 course in the mountains. Most of the holes are reachable off the tee and distance is only a big factor on a few holes. Hitting your lines and dealing with the elevation and altitude is the bigger challenge. It might not be the most challenging course but it is a ton of fun!

I had a really hard time wavering between a 4.5 and 5.0 on this rating and I still may change it but feels a little too one-dimensional to me to get that top rating. Despite the variety that is there in the design, it is a par 3 course that never really challenges the player with placement shots or multi-drive holes. It does make up for it with lots of really fun elevated tee shots and ace runs but it doesn't really offer the complete test.

I really have to qualify my last remarks there and say that this is an amazing course that is tons of fun to play and an obvious destination course in an area loaded with awesome golf. I don't mean to be overly critical, just my 2 cents. I played it the day after playing Bailey and that course left the bigger impression on me. That said, this course and the others nearby it are worth making travel plans to play.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

So glad I played

1    8/16/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: LeftyMcGee
Pros: Eveything. I have really only played wide open courses. This was such a great challenge. I'm a beginner/intermeduate player and this challenged me and the friends I played w on every shot. Great hike. Great course design and challenging layout. Never had to second guess or walk the hole to find the pin No litter. Friendly people. 1st time playing a mountain course, and I'm hooked!
Cons: It's a mountain course...I rolled over a 2 hour old new disk on hole 3 and it went down the hill and couldn't be found.
Other Thoughts: With a course of this caliber so close to denver (and the other great courses nearby that I've heard about) I'll definitely be burning the gas and spending a lot more time here!

Baptism by altitude

1    8/14/2014   8/14/2014
Review By: Rowick
Pros: First of all beautiful!! when Katharine Lee Bates wrote America the Beautiful atop (relatively) nearby Pikes Peak this is the kind of landscape she was looking at. Just one amazing mountain view after another along with wildflowers, majestic pines and aspen, and wildlife (I saw a two point buck right by the parking lot after my round)

Challenging!! Both in terms of disc golf skill and cardiovascular endurance.

Secluded!! great place to find your own personal disc golf heaven!! To be fair I was there at 9 AM on a Thursday but I did not see another human until hole 12 and did not see any other disc golfers until I was almost done (they were behind me)

Its less than an hour by car from downtown Denver

Tee pads were very nice most holes had nice benches which even with out anyone else on the course I used these a time or two to catch my breath and just take in the world around me
Cons: Physically demanding you will be going on a mile hike over rugged, hilly terrain at 8000+ feet above sea level that's not a con for a lot of people but just know what you're getting into

Numbers on the pins would have been helpfull
Other Thoughts: you play a few round and your local park course and you par a few holes and you think "I'm pretty good at disc golf" this course showed me that I have a lifetime of learning ahead of me

Trees galore and elevation change to boot.

2-4    8/8/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: himPickle
Pros: Complete signage, 23 concrete tee pads, lots of mulch spread out in wet areas makes walking the course pleasant, lots of trees to throw trough uphill tunnels and some open and long double mando holes. Great day of play by any ones standards. 9 hole putting game course at base will test the best. Try your hand at an ace run for $1 entry fee gets you two throws, and an ace gets you $40 pro shop credit. Friendly pro shop for food, beaver ranch stamped discs, all your disc golf essentials. Right off the main hwy 285s.
Cons: No night golf, Mountain Loins the size of small ponies have been spotted on the course around dusk.
Other Thoughts: This place is a must play, you will not be disappointed.

JUST DO IT

5+    7/26/2014   7/28/2014
Review By: MIkeyMikeCO
Pros: JUst go play the course. It is worth every penny.
Cons: The only con I can think of is I wish my legs could handle playing 2 rounds back to back.
Other Thoughts: What a great course and full of all the stuff that make spaying for a course worth it. Just do it!

You will not be dissapointed

5+    7/20/2014   7/26/2014
Review By: Mile High Bogey
Pros: Wow, just wow. If you live near here, or are traveling through, you owe it to yourself to play this course. I've had the pleasure of watching the course mature over the years into the 23-hole mountain challenge it is today. All tee pads are concrete, and none of them are at an angle (that's saying something for a mountain course). Signage is kept up to date, and in general is helpful for first timers on the course. All tees have bag hooks and brooms to keep them tidy. Many tees have benches and trash cans. Very challenging for all skill levels, but I would not recommend bringing a beginner here, it's for those who are comfortable playing city courses and want something more challenging. Course now has a "pro shop" and a little outdoor lounge. They also added a putting game you can kill time playing while waiting for tee #1 to open up. You get a killer hike in. Bottom line, this is one of the most amazing course I have ever played, go throw it already!
Cons: If anyone here dares to complain about the $5 fee to play this course I refer them to the above Pros that I stated. Seriously, it is so worth the $5, support the designers so they continue building more courses in the foothills! Okay, so if I had to list a con I guess it would be the Zip-Lines in the same area; when in use the sound is very distracting when trying to focus on a putt.
Other Thoughts: Unlike Bucksnort and Phantom Falls, you can just roll up on Beaver Ranch when you are ready to play. Bailey could become the next version of Beaver Ranch, once they put concrete tee pads in that is.

Fantastic Course!

1    6/23/2014   6/28/2014
Review By: ACE Ventura
Pros: This well maintained course has everything you could ever want from a mountain-based course. The layout was very well done; taking advantage of the intense elevation changes and the wonderful pine forest. It's also the only course in this little area of Colorado you don't need to book a tee time to play.

The key elements to the course are all in great shape: the cement teepads, the baskets, the manicured fairways. It's all good. Each teepad has incredible maps and pictures that show the multiple pin locations and the current pin location. Also there is a broom and bag hook at most, if not all of the holes.

The course is designed to challenge you on every hole, requiring many technical shots to be performed. Hopefully you're good with playing in some gusty winds, it can really tamper with your flights.

I suppose I should mention the scenery as well. You'll find yourself taking pictures or hanging out on one of the many benches just to take it in.

Also, there is what appears to be a fairly new feature at the pro shop: there is a 7 hole Putting course. There are rules explaining the game, but basically it's 3 putts at each basket from 3 different spots, each spot is worth different points. If you don't want to play for points, it makes for some excellent warm up putting before tackling the course.
Cons: VERY minor cons...

A couple holes had teepads/ fairways close to each other, but when I was there the course was fairly barren so it wasn't an issue.

Not really a con, but be mindful that you are playing on a mountain and there are a few holes with HIGH roll away factors. The second to last hole especially, the hillside is quite steep and if your disc gets rolling you might just want to kiss it bye-bye.
Other Thoughts: I have a few thoughts to share...

1) Wear good shoes! Preferably hiking shoes. This course is quite long and has TONS of climbs and descends to make. Which brings me to thought #2....

2) Take it slow and easy! This is not a course to rush through. Enjoy nature and take breaks if need be. Don't forget, you are playing a course that is at over 8000 FEET in elevation. Unless you live here and are acclimated, there is less oxygen and it will tire you out quicker.

3) BRING WATER! I drained almost 2 liters of water just playing one round, if it was any warmer I'd have been a thirsty dog.

I LOVED this course and will definitely be back on my next trip to Colorado. I would do nothing to change it.

2-4    6/23/2014   6/24/2014
Review By: Zedrijan
Pros: Well maintained mountainous course. Variety of challenges requires you to use every disc and every shot in your bag. Tee sign posts have a map of the hole, a picture of the hole highlighting the baskets and hole info. Most of the tees have benches and several have trash/recycle bins. They've thought of everything, brooms and custom made bag hooks at most of the tees as well.
Cons: Hard to find con's with this course. Physically challenging, expect to winded regularly if you aren't in shape. And it's not in my back yard, if it was it would be perfect.

Comparison to Bailey

1    6/13/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: RDHan
This review was updated on 6/16/2014
Pros: Visiting from Illinois we had a chance to play Beaver Ranch and Bailey this week.
Here are some hints if you can only choose one to play.

First off they are both great courses. Two of the best I have ever played. In terms of the actual courses they are both a ton of fun and well designed and laid out. Bailey has more consistently longer holes, however, so much greater need to be able to drive longer distances. This was a bit frustrating for my wife who found herself skipping more holes just because they were so long. Both courses can be strenous with lots of uphill and downhill. You will find the need for lots of different types of shots and discs at both courses. Though it is possible to lose a disc, for the most part neither is so overgrown that even in errant disc cannot be found with a little searching. Both had holes that required accuracy but it was alway clear that there was a line to take to the whole (unlike some courses where you sometimes feel your only option is throw and pray it can find a way through). Both course are very worth the $5 donation and it is obvious those donations are going back into the courses to continue to make improvements. Both courses are in beuatiful locations with great scenery.

With that said, at this point Beaver Ranch would probably be the best choice. Beaver Creek has Concrete Tee pads (and even brooms if they need to be wiped off). It has benches at the start of the wholes. It has a disk shop at the beginning and relaxing chairs there to rest after you get through (you will need it especailly if you plan for a second go around). It has water to wash your hands. It has a little putting course. At this point Bailey has no one to welcome you, just a box for donations and a couple chairs out in the open. It has dirt tee pads. They are hoping to bring these improvements to the course in the coming year, however. The lack of these things did not decrease the fun or challange of the course for me (but if it is after a large rain the tee pads might not be so easy to use).
Cons: In terms of Beaver Ranch I cannot think of any except perhaps the following (though some will see this as just another opportunity to strategize to make sure shot lands short and flat. At both courses there are a few holes where even a "great shot" can turn out horrible after it roles a mile down the hill, but this is a much great danger at Beaver Ranch.
Other Thoughts: Another recommendation. If you are not as in shape make sure to get a map at the beginning of each course. Each course has an extreme downhill shot followed by a few holes where you have to climb all the way back up. If you refer to your map, however, these holes can be bypassed which will help save legs.

Best Course I've played

1    11/30/2013   12/5/2013
Review By: JustinJStew
Pros: Hooks for you bags on every hole, picture of where the pins are located, brooms for most of the tee pads.
Cons: Closely located zip line causes you to hear some screams, which may be mistaken for possible hole in ones.
Other Thoughts: Had a great time playing this course, paid $5 and was allowed to play multiple times in the same day. Great scenery, with awesome course design . Excited to play this course again when the snow is gone.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16