Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #16 (Taken 8/2008)
Hole #16 Short Tee

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16
Made it up there finally

1    7/20/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 11/26/2012
Pros: This course will be one of the most gorgeous courses you have ever seen,and if not I'm wish listing the course you know of thats better.Tocabaga's jungle in St.Petersburg Fl,and Sipipu in New Mex are the only others of such beauty.Actually the courses in the foothills west of Ft.Collins are pretty scenic as well but not quite as nice.
Cons: I wished the course would have been a bit tougher don't get me wrong there are some epic like holes(2-3).Shorter holes aren't too boring but why not stretch them out if you can.Playing in such a beautiful area I really wish the shorter holes were a bit tougher.
Other Thoughts: Definitely the better course in the Denver area since all the courses around there are so F'n easy to shoot par or under.As far as my scores go Sakuna Pines in the Black Forest is still harder but this course will make you throw more then a 65 thats for sure.21 holes

Amazing!!

1    8/7/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: tandren
Pros: Dynamically technical holes that require a varying array of shots.
Amazing scenery.
Great baskets/signage.
Cons: Some steep hills can run away with your discs.
Other Thoughts: If you find a Yellow Discraft Buzz on Hole 20 with the name Travis Andren on it...please message me or call the number on the disc. I'll come get it. Reward $

Risk/reward at altitude

2-4    7/25/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 5/14/2012
Pros: There are a few great pros for this beautiful course:

1. Risk/reward. This course epitomizes risk/reward. Nearly every hole has several routes to the hole of varying difficulty (see the Other Comments below). Most of the baskets are situated on some sort of slope, so putting is never completely safe. Do you trust yourself to sink that 25-foot putt? You know you can't lay up, but it wasn't rare to see one of us clang an uphill putt and then watch helplessly as it rolls past us 50 feet downhill. Which leads to…
2. Scoring spreads. I don't usually pay attention to this, but I noticed how great it was playing with friends and never having any lead safe. On a lot of courses if you're ahead by 2 strokes after 14 or 15 holes, you're going to win. Not here. If you go the difficult route and make it, there are definitely holes here with birdie potential. But if you screw it up, you could be looking at a double bogey. I imagine this is a great place for tournaments for this reason. Also because…
3. Challenge. You probably won't be shooting par here if the baskets are in the long positions like they were when I was there (shortly after the Colorado State Championships). Most of the fairways are, well, fair, but they don't have a lot of room for error.
4. Scenery. It's on a mountain. It's pretty. You know how it goes.
5. Signage. The signs are excellent. There is a photograph of the fairway with the basket positions overlaid. There is also a bird's eye graphical depiction of the fairway, along with distances to each position. Nice work.

Holes 16 and 17 might be the signature holes (long downhill bombs…try the long basket on 17 for a real challenge), but I think 13 is the best. The tee shot is an uphill tunnel shot opening to a open area. Then it's a hard dogleg right about 225 feet to the hole. The basket is on a natural mound surrounded on three sides by steep slope and on the other by a big pit (think sand trap). If you don't land it within 15 feet, you have a very risky putt. I love this hole.
Cons: There aren't a lot of major cons, but there are a couple. The tee pads are all dirt and gravel. Obviously concrete pads would be impractical on this sort of course, but perhaps rubber pads are possible one day. Although it didn't rain while I was in town, several pads had standing water. I'm sure the course is a mess after heavy rain or the spring melt.

The fairways for #5 and #16 are adjacent, and it can be tough on #16 to throw a good shot and completely avoid the fairway of #5.

When I was there, we counted six or seven dogleg right holes and only one dogleg left. I like to see basket positions that are a bit more even in that regard.
Other Thoughts: An example of the risk/reward nature of the course: On hole 19, my first time I threw a high S shot over the top and landed 10 feet from the hole. The next round I tried the same shot, turned it over a bit, and ended up down the hill to the right and got a 5. The next two rounds I played it safe, throwing straight ahead under the trees and got a 4 and 3. Four rounds, four different scores on the hole, and I deserved every score I got. Point being, this is just one hole, but there are a LOT of holes like that on this course.

A couple holes have multiple baskets or multiple tees, but only a couple. I'm glad to see them improving an excellent course, and I look forward to seeing the progress on my next visit. From what I understand, they are building another course near hole 20. Wow. This could really become an elite disc golf destination.

This is the most fun course I have played.

Fun day

1    8/2/2010   8/2/2010
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: There are tons of elevation changes. The holes are a good variety of up and down left to right. The course even has open and tight holes. The variety is amazing. There are very nice sign posts, and tee boxes. Also, despite the occasional plane or car passing it was a very serene and sublime. This course should be played by anyone that can afford the drive. It's a bit into the mountains but it is well worth it. Even though there were a couple large groups, the locals were very friendly and would let you play through. I also like the baskets far better than DisCatchers.
Cons: Some of the tees showed some erosion and had stones in the area causing a difficult drive in some spots, but this is an extremely picky con.

Nearly the best course ever.

1    6/17/2010   6/25/2010
Review By: monkeytaco
Pros: Crazy elevation changes. Imagine standing in front of a 5 story building and throwing your disc on top of that from about 50 feet in front of it. That's how you're greeted at hole #1. A great hike, beautiful scenery, really hard to lose a disc even though its mountainous. Hole #17 is probably my favorite. hole. ever. Multiple pin placements. The list goes on...
Cons: It is a long walk from parking to #1 and from #20 back to the parking lot, but worth it. The elevation changes will kick your butt if you're fat like me, again - totally worth it.

Might be too awesome.

Hole #11 is HARD. I'm a right handed forehand thrower and even though I put several discs right on the path, they somehow figured out how to roll down the hill a LONG way. :) I don't know if that's a con though, it is challenging and really fun...
Other Thoughts: Echoing other reviewers: Bring Water! This is a fantastic course that should be on everyone's must play list.

If you can play it during the week you'll find you're all alone.

Play this course. I'm going back next week!

Are you ready?

5+    6/6/2010   6/10/2010
Review By: Drew Heintz
Pros: Uhhh. The pros of this course? All I got to say is play it. Words cannot describe the adventure to do it justice. 200' shot up a 60 degree incline, 300' shot over one of the biggest gaps I have ever played (definate bag-emptier), a man-made Tee-Pee on hole 5 that comes in handy for a little stop (wink, wink), and watch out on #11. DON'T GO RIGHT!!!!
Cons: The 1/2 mile walk to and from your car. On the walk there it is a bit long for a warmer-upper and after you get done playing the 20 holes of not exactly easy-discin', it kinda sucks walking all the way back. Especially if it is a hot day.
Other Thoughts: BRING WATER!!!! You will definately get thirsty. Also, this is a beautifull course, on some beautifull land. Keep it like that. Pack it in and pack it out, (field strip cigarettes and put em in you pocket, squash beer cans and put 'em in your bag, etc...) or at least wait until you get to one of the trash cans. Thanks.

Wow

1    5/29/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: runninlikebarry20
Pros: The scenery is amazing along with the overall challenge of the course. Insane use of the elevation changes going up and down. The course tested many shots in my bag and never left me doubting what the course designer had in mind. A very physical challenge as well as a precision oriented challenge. The tee signs were the most detailed and beautifully crafted that I have ever seen. The flow was great and had no problems navigating around. Just an overall amazing experience. Coming from Michigan I had never played anything as physically demanding, but loved every second of it.
Cons: The only con that sticks out to me is the fact you must park what felt like a mile away from hole 1, but I am being picky about that small detail and would have gladly walked several miles to hole 1 if that was what I needed to do to experience this course.
Other Thoughts: I don't see myself playing a course that was as physically and technically challenging as this one and am grateful for the experience I had. I recommend this to any disc golfer that is in or going to be in the Denver area.

Great course!!!

5+    5/15/2010   5/25/2010
Review By: HappyGilmore
Pros: This is one of the best mountain courses around. A lot of thought and effort has been put into this course, from the different types of shots right down to the benches and disc golf themed bag hangars at each hole. Short shots, long shots, tight shots, open bombers, bring your whole bag.
Cons: The walk to and from the course is a pain (well worth it though). Hopefully one day they will put in a closer parking lot.

Not really a con, but the first 3 holes will punish you unless you are in Olympic shape. They go straight up a steep hill (it does even out after that though).
Other Thoughts: Long live the stump!!

Tops in Colorado

2-4    5/15/2010   5/25/2010
Review By: bkunited
Pros: 1. Creative and challenging holes.
2. Good mix for challenges for backhand and sidearm throwers.
3. Pure beauty - deer running through the course at times, beautiful aspen and evergreen trees.
Cons: 1. Wish there were another 10 holes on the property
2. Lack of practice basket or warm-up space
3. Distance from parking
Other Thoughts: A must-see stop in Colorado.
Top public course I in CO I have played to date.

An Amazing Mountian Course

1    5/10/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: volklgirl
This review was updated on 5/25/2010
Pros: We played this course on the recommendation of almost every disc golfer we met while in Colorado. Boy are we glad we did!! It was truly the highlight of our trip (and was even more fun than skiing at Arapahoe Basin!).

We printed and took the map on the Links page but ended up needing it only for hole #20.....by following the signs from #19 you'll end up at #3 and will need to veer right and continue down the trail to the next tee box.

It appears that the tee posts and signage have been replaced since ERicJ took pictures of the course as all tee boxes are now graced with stunning painted 4x4's, at least 1 custom basket-shaped bag hook, and full color tee signs that are a combination of a tee pad view photograph and an illustration showing all possible tee and pin combinations, including well-marked Mandos in a couple of spots. This combination of photo and illustration made deciphering pin position a breeze. Each sign listed all pin distances, showed the next tee direction, and had a cute saying on the bottom left as well. In addition, many holes sported stunning log benches for well needed breaks.

Tee boxes are filled with a well-packed sand/dirt/clay combination and were almost all completely flat and solid when we were there. The alternate pin positions, when unused, are covered by nice PVC drainage caps keeping trip hazards from them at a minimum.

The baskets are custom-made and are just beautiful! Most of the holes where a bad putt would get ugly quickly have log barriers 30 or so feet from the hole. While the barriers don't usually stop a rolling disc completely, they do pretty effectively slow the disc down on it's way down the hill.

The fun on this course starts with a bang on the very first hole, a steep, tight uphill with stiff penalties for discs that don't land flat. There's a partial staircase that was very well built and was indicative of the quality of the rest of the furnishings on the course. The uphill fun continues through #3, then the course undulates gently to allow you to catch your breath. Beware the evilly sideways tilted #11 and #12 as downhill rolls will kill you here! Take a break and visit at the top of the hill between #13 and #14 as the course then gets hilly again in earnest at the huge, downhill, #17. Avoid the disc-eating pine on the right near the bottom of the hill - it's a looooong way up there if your disc gets stuck! The sharp left on #18 looks like a no-brainer, but miss the putt and watch your disc roll all the way to the bottom of the hill with a final plop into the stream. My shot for deuce turned into a 6+OB! #19 and #20 have more disc-eating trees (there were 2 more besides ours in one tree that we couldn't get down), and you'll want to send a spotter down to the blind basket on #20. While there's not a ho-hum or gimme hole anywhere on the course, these are the ones that stand out in my mind 3 weeks later.

Every imaginable fairway type and basket placement is represented on this course! There's tight and heavily wooded, up hill and down hill, sweeping and sharp right and lefts, blind baskets, and even some side hill action. Even the wide open, big-arm holes pose added challenge with guarded, tree-lined sides, between-tree mandos, or blind/guarded basket placement. We looked for the alternate pin placements while we played and I have to say that the longer placements added serious challenge to the layout, not just bigger distances. This course in the long positions would KILL me.

This course is so well thought out and designed, they even routed the trails using switchbacks in areas of steep descents to maintain trail viability and avoid erosion problems. To keep things sustainable, please don't short-cut these switchbacks!
Cons: The 1/2 mile hike into the course is a little ridiculous, but it's understandable given the location of the fitness trail, the shape of the property, and the marsh land/swamp/creek along the road from the parking lot to the #1 tee.
Other Thoughts: While this course doesn't have the homey feel of Flip City, it rivals or exceeds FC in almost all other ways. This is an amazing course!

While there are porta-johns and pit toilets available both in the parking lot and at the 13/14/16 junction, there is no potable water that I saw. This is a strenuous, true mountain course, so bring plenty of water and snacks. Sturdy tennies or hikers are also highly recommended.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16