Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park Share
Uploaded By: ponto11 Hole #5 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #5 Basket (Long Position)

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
 Beaver Ranch

2-4    7/25/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: The Crit Piece
Pros: This place is just amazing. There are so many great things about the course that you'll have to see for yourself but I'll list as many as I can. This course demands that you use a variety of shots of the tee and in the fairway. There are trees, brush and logs all over the place that make things really tricky in most situations. Accuracy and power are required on a lot of pin placements. Uphill side hill putts show up often as well as downhill putts. There are also a lot of blind tee shots but the recent addition of new helpful signs make it very easy to know where you need to land a drive without having to run up into the fairway to find where you're shooting. There are'nt any OBs but a couple of Mandos. Holes 1 and 17 are truly two of the most unique holes you'll ever play. Walking up to 1 and seeing it from the tee bow immediately lets you know you are in for a very tough course and a big hike. 17s tee box is roughly 150 feet above the valley you shoot into or over depending on location with the furthest tee box being about 100 feet above that same valley! Really amazing stuff. Get up on 17 and big your longest driver and watch your disc hang up in the air for days and days. Hole 20 can be 600 feet with the right pin placement but there are a ton of trees blocking your path so if you get it down close to the pin in one toss kudos. Also the nice new custom bag hooks are a nice touch.
Cons: Many people complain about the 1/2 mile walk to tee 1 and the lack of decent signs. The walk takes about 6 minutes and its really flat so thats a non-issue and if it is an issue for you, youre probably not going to be able to make this massive hike over 20 holes. They just added new signs for the 2009 Bloom tournament that are really great so again, non-issue. The only complaint I have and its not a big one is the tee boxes are dirt and need to be groomed more often. Take a second to kick any rocks aside and make sure to level the dirt in areas where it looks like you could slip and youre all good.
Other Thoughts: Bloom 09 was an amazing 40 hole day. One of the best parts about this course is all the friendly people who are super dedicated to not only maintaining an already amazing course but to improving it also. Cant wait for the fall classic in October. This is the hardest course ive played (Im pretty average at best) and also my favorite. Close proximity makes it easy for locals and travelers a like to access. Generally not crowded. Please be respectful to the wild life and other players and pack out all your trash. Keep this amazing course as amazing as when you came. Dont forget to toss a couple bucks in the donation box at the main office. Write your own review and lets get this place up to top 3 in the world!

With Updates

5+    7/25/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: Deadhead282
Pros: The signs are in now with pictures of each hole and locations of pins. Also on the post there are amazing custom bag hooks that are super sweet! The course it self is one and a million. The hike is not bad at all, acctually pretty relaxing to me.
Cons: If any it would be the tee pads, but those even have been re done, well not all but the ones that were eroding away.
Other Thoughts: This is with the best of the best courses in the world and was put in sometime in 2007 thats amazing. Come out and support the course and dont forget to donate!

Short but helpful

1    7/20/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: Nick C
Pros: -This amazing 20 hole course utilizes the best of every type of hole. They have narrow upshots (hole 1) downshots, tight wooded short holes but also have a balance of wider holes to absolutely bomb one on. They have holes that favor RHBH players but also have holes for those RHBH players as well. Every kind of hole for every kind of player.

-Amazing place to practice recovery or "got out of trouble" shots as you will definitely be needing a few of those

- The custom baskets are a very nice addition and a testimate to the care that goes into this course

-Manicured fairways and greens are great so you don't lose a disc that you threw perfectly down the fairway.

-Beautiful scenery and a great hike. The walk from where you park to the first hole is NOT bad at all.

-Probably a great place to break a disc in because you're going to hit some trees whether you like it or not.
Cons: -The tee boxes are natural, which is fine, but the ground can be loose which caused a couple slips and made it harder to get that initial push off on drives

-Signs don't really indicate where pin location is and we had to do some serious searching on some holes
Other Thoughts: -This was one of the most fun I've had playing a course. A perfect mix of tight wooded shots and long bombers. Definitely a must play for anyone who enjoys disc golf.
-This would be a great course to camp out after and then play the Phantom Falls course the next day, which is only about 7 miles away. (Make sure to call Paul for a reservation a week or more ahead of time as it is his private course....here is a link to his course with his contact info http://www.dgcoursereview.com....php?id=3129)

Best in Colorado

5+    6/20/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: mcduffiejc
Pros: Not your regular 18 hole course. The course is setup with 20 holes and is a great course close to the Denver area but gives you that mountain aspect. If you are into hiking then you will love this course. Everytime me and my buddies go up we always play it twice. Not the easiest course but definitely best of the best. You have to play it if you live in Colorado.
Cons: I don't know if there really are any cons with this course, at least in my point of view. There is about a half mile walk from the parking area to the first hole but to me its good because its a chance to stretch your legs before heading up the mountain.
Other Thoughts: Everything about this course is great. The layout is amazing starting from hole one all the way back to hole 20. My very first time ever playing the course I got my first ace on hole 7.

Beautiful mountain course

1    7/22/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: progolfer33
Pros: This course is beautiful and is the only course I've played that truly exemplifies everything us Coloradan's love about the mountains.

I actually consider the hike to be a pro unlike some of the other reviewers; it was a mixture of my 2 favorite things to do. Sure, the walk on the first 4 holes (mostly the first) is a little tough, but it is totally worth it when you get to the top as you get rewarded with a beautiful, severely downhill, 17th hole.

The course itself is very well maintained, and I liked the layout, for the most part. If you want to do well here, you need to have a mastery of many different kinds of shots. Even then, you still have to realize that some holes require that you lay up into a good spot to even have a chance at par. Very good risk/reward course.
Cons: The only reason that this course didn't get a 5-rating is because some of the holes were unfair. In my opinion, you should never have to think, "I'll put this on a good line and hope I get lucky". The 3rd, 7th, and 15th holes are all like this from the tees I played. If you put your disc on a really good line, you should get rewarded with a really good shot.

Also, I think that the signs could be vastly improved for this caliber of a course. They should work with the folks that did the signs at Johnny Roberts; but I'm sure it's in the works
Other Thoughts: Bring plenty of water and plan on a longer round than normal. I think the hike and round took about 2.5 hours.

Quite a workout.

1    7/15/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: Perth
Pros: + I want to list this as a con, but only because I'm in poor shape and my knees are creaking the day after - but this is a heck of a workout course. Lots of hiking and hunting for pins and rolled discs.

+ Gorgeous scenery. I wish I'd brought a camera.

+ The entire course is a nice challenge from beginning to end.
Cons: - Laminated paper tee postings. The posts are in place, hopefully nice signs with hole details will be posted eventually.

- ROLLERS! Be careful - rolling a disc can definitely result in a hike to hunt it down.

- Inconsistent tee quality. Some have gravel and some are little more than some logs marking a rectangle. I worried about wrenching my ankle at tee-off more than once.
Other Thoughts: Bring a camera if you can carry it. Go on a cooler or overcast day. The entire course is a nice hike, but I would have enjoyed it a lot less if it was hot. There's a donation box at the parking lot - throw in a few bucks to hopefully encourage some nice tee postings.

All in all this is a fantastic course. The layout and scenery helped my rating when the cons hurt it. With nice tees and proper posting, this is a 5-star course.

I Have Reached the Mountaintop!

2-4    7/7/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 4/18/2010
Pros: Out of the numerous pros to consider with Beaver Ranch, I believe the actual course design and stunning baskets should get top mention. First, the course was masterfully designed with multiple layouts for every hole. Whether is the alternate tee placements, or up to five alternate pin placements as on #17, the shots selections are always fresh. Note that #17 had actual pins in place at positions C and D, so my suggestion is throw two since I believe this is a signature hole where the stunning 75'-100' elevation drop to open meadow below deserves a minimum to two tosses. Hole #16 currently has two pins in now as well.

Besides the superior design, honorable mention goes to the discin baskets with their angled copper ring and white hue. They're easy to spot from a distance contrasting perfectly with the surrounding greenery, and they're simply beautiful. The park has also gone to the effort to posting tall flags on most pins to help with spotting the hole from a distance. I echo DGTourist's comments that the bar seems more inviting with it's inward angle making that mental "clang" we all hear in our minds before putting on a DisCatcher basket seem to disappear.

Some other pros to consider (besides scenery you can't experience most anywhere else in the country) are the moves the park is taking to improve on their course. Steps are currently being installed in lower portion of hole #1 making the insane climb a little easier. There is a bathroom facility by #14 pin off the Blackhawk trail for those needing a break, and most pin locations have a good amount of mulch surrounding them to help prevent erosion and the pool of mud that would gather after a rain.

Finally, it's also worth it noting that if you're not dead after taking on this superior course, Phantom Falls - a private 30-hole elevation monster is right down the road. I had the privilege of experiencing both courses in the same day, and topped off the ultimate disc golf experience with some tasty wings at the Wing Wagon in Conifer.

BEST HOLE/S: #1; #17; #20
Cons: With the sign issue more than fixed the only remaining minor issue is the half-mile walk to hole #1. I wasn't a fan, but consider a few things: first, you get to walk a half mile along a groomed path following a small brook the entire way, so some may find this a plus as your anticipation grows to experience the mountains. Plus there is a practice basket a quarter mile along the trail and you have the pleasure of knowing you're walking by the two peaks that are about to hand you your lunch if you out of shape. If you make the walk, you'll be rewarded with the first three holes rising probably 400' testing your stamina and endurance.

WORST HOLE/S: #15
Other Thoughts: I may be taking MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech a little out of context here, but I truly felt that I reached the mountaintop and saw the other side when I got to experience this course. Pictures and words simply can't describe the beauty that is quality Colorado mountain disc golf. This course was challenging, but not insane like Beaver Meadows, and had greater shot and hole diversity than Sundance Trail Ranch DGC - which are both quality mountain courses. It's also more polished and free, which puts it over Phantom Falls - although I tend to find that comparing public to private courses is a bit like apples and oranges.

In the end I find that my experience at Beaver Ranch was a 5.0. However the long walk at the beginning ding it a bit. I just can't ding it enough to give it 4.5 rating when by review standards it's truly a "best of the best" course that forces you to be a good shot maker without killing you - and at the same time marvels you at it's majesty of nature with every new hole. It still may not be the "perfect" course, but having sponsors for individual holes are both smart and savvy moves for continued improvements and maintaining the current high quality. And who knows - like me by the end of your experience you to may be catching your breath at the mountaintop saying, "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last."

Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park/Awesome Fun/Kickass

1    6/12/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I'm afraid the pictures we have on this site do not do this course justice. As you can see from these pictures the course is beautiful, but they only capture individually in a micro sense each hole and basket area. Ideally we could rent a helicopter and photograph it from all various angles with the midsummer mourning dew shining bright from the sun just before a brief mountain fog rolls in. Even then you would still need for something to douse you with sweat and jump start your pulse because its just as exciting as it is beautiful. The land that was generously dedicated to the disc golf course is a picturesque slice on par with any of our side of the road daydreams.

The fact that the course map includes elevation contours is a big hint of the challenge ahead. Many times along the round I found myself laboring to calm down so that I can make my approach shot. This course is a physical challenge so be prepared for that aspect its likely you will sweat hard at various times within the round. I assume that the regulars of this course have massive quads and calves from the rigors required to play this course regularly.

I like how the holes on this course don't become an extreme challenge of mountaineering and par 94 golf in the way other mountain courses try to become epic. The course still has an honest challenge but does not dip into the realm of ridiculous allowing for good shots to be rewarded. The design takes you straight up and into the hills from the first throw, an entry by fire as the subsequent holes are not so punishing once you get up and on the course. From time to time you will notice people nearby on other holes playing ahead and in the end when you get to those same holes on the way back you will not notice right away because of how the scenery changes. Because of the many drastic elevation changes and angles a player has to consider landing zones much more here than a player does on a course in the flat lands. Unfortunately for me, it took me a few holes to catch on to this fact.

The practice basket is wisely set in the middle of the pre-course walk. The baskets are a snazzy silver design unlike any other I've seen before. I tried really hard to see if the angle of the top portion of the baskets give a player who putts high on the chastity belt slight leeway and I conclude it doesn't help as much as a player might think. I do however think that the angled design of the basket's top tend to put a players mind in the positive frame of mind more so than a DISCatcher might. Its hard to speculate on the crazy mental aspect of putting, especially for other players, but the combination of the baskets angle and great mountain scenery for me made me zero in a little more.

There is a restroom in the middle of the course, at the moment when it feels like you are farthest from the restrooms in the parking area. For being hands down the best course in the Denver area, it is far enough away from Denver to ensure that its not as crowded as many of the more urban corses are. I played on an ideal weekend day and only encountered three other groups. I found just as many people on horseback during the hike to the first tee.
Cons: The walk to the courses is no problem, it's the long way back to the car that somewhat sucks. This is a mountain courses and depending on how you play an how used to the elements you are there is a strong chance that after 20 holes you are drained, and now left with a hike back to you car. Assuming that the powers that be said, hey you can have this space X but you must park at space Y, all of us would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. The "cons" here are only the things that make it short of being perfect, add a pond, 30 years of history, and cement somehow, and there you go.
Other Thoughts: There is no doubt in my mind that this is one of the best courses in Colorado. Its close proximity to Denver contributes to its already solidified reputation as a destination course. The fact that its only a short drive to downtown Denver from here tallies more positives to Beaver Ranch when comparing it to the other top courses which are mostly off the beaten path. If I were to compile a top three list of courses in Colorado the order would always change dependant on my mood but without a doubt Beaver Ranch would always be included. Once on hwy 285 and you get into the foothills of the Rockies with all the mountain scenery you get a preview how awesome your round here is going to be.

best course around

5+    6/6/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: nickonov
Pros: The course location is awesome, being both close to and far enough away from Denver to allow for a leisurely round. From the hike in to the hike out, it's an all-immersive disc golf experience! The layout is excellent, offering a variety of pin locations to challenge any player. Holes range from wide open to very tight, and the order is suited to both rotating the discs in your bag and varying the required throws.
Cons: The locals have done a lot of work on the course, but it could use a (bear-proof) trash can.
Other Thoughts: I've played this course many times, waiting a while before giving it an official review here. It's definitely the best all-around course in the area. This spring's maintenance has been very impressive: teebox restoration, slash pile removal, signage, etc. I know some of the people involved, and have every reason to believe that this course will only continue to get better.

Tough, yet satisfying

2-4    5/25/2009   5/25/2009
Review By: Camgolfer
This review was updated on 7/29/2009
Pros: Where to start that has not already been mentioned... Well each hole is unique and makes you work on different shots. Most holes, if played well, have birdie potential. Wrong shots could roll down hill and cost you some strokes. The course is clean and well kept up. Thank you volunteers! Each hole is easy to get to from the previous so a map is not necessary to play. Even if the wind is blowing you have a lot of trees to keep you protected. Hole 13 was a favorite shot as well as hole 7, 17 and 18. This is a course to play if you love both hiking and disc golf. You will get to experience both during your round. The handmade benches at a few of the holes were beautiful and made a nice place to rest before the next hole. Each hole is separate enough that you can enjoy a round peacefully.
Cons: This is where everyone else says: "The walk to one sucks," but it is forgotten quickly in to the round (mostly because the hike to basket #1 is almost a 45 degree angle).
Other Thoughts: You will burn off some calories playing this course so plan on bringing some snacks and water. If you are coming from Denver plan the trip to play one round through to take about 4 hours (45 mins up, 15 min hike to tee one, 2 hours to play, hike and drive back). This is a must play for me as often as I can get a chance. It seems as though only dedicated disc golfers will make the trek up to this course so litter, fires and graffiti seems to be non existent. Observe the pack it in, pack it out rule because there are not trash cans on the course. There is a bathroom near hole 15, but it is hard to really qualify it as a bathroom so make sure your affairs are in order before you dedicate 2 hours to some mind blowing disc golf. Enjoy the scenery of this course. This is a very nice example of how eco-friendly disc golf is. The natural tees help add to the ambiance. Overall this course is one of the best in the country for a reason.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15