Conifer, CO

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 18
World Class

5+    8/23/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: Lightbringer
Pros: Excellent views and environment in the mountains of Colorado.

Wide variety of shots from fairly open fairways, to steep uphills and downhills, to tightly wooded and technical shots.

Some truly memorable holes, including the famous bomb run on hole #17.

As with other mountain courses, it is difficult to lose a disc on most holes due to the lack of ground vegetation.

23 great holes.

Some of the best tees, markers and signage in Colorado.

During the summer and fall there is plenty of shade, and the elevation will make for a much cooler day than one spent in the city. The fall is especially nice; the convergence of comfortable weather and the changing colors of the aspen leaves make it one of the best times to visit the mountains.

The pro shop has every disc I want. KC Pro Glow Flat-Top Rocs. Star Teebirds and Valkyries. Judges. Wizards. These guys have great taste and you will see some excellent and possibly hard to find discs here. They are also very friendly and passionate about disc golf.

If you are looking for a longer course with a moderate hike involved, this is a great option. The middle few holes are pretty much straight uphill. You will get some decent exercise at this course.

The course is not hard to find or access and is only a short drive from Denver. There are a lot of excellent courses in the mountains, but some of them are much harder to get to.
Cons: At points you will be quite a hike away from any type of amenities like restrooms. If you're a male this isn't such a big deal but I can see being female and having to pee around the last half of the course being a pain. Make sure you are prepared with plenty if water.

Sometimes the course can be pretty crowded. It is very well known and popular. During the last time I played there, there was a traffic jam of about 7 groups by the time we got to the final hole. This problem is compounded by people who are unprepared for the physical nature of the course or people who play in large groups, especially with a bunch of children. Fortunately this isn't a problem as long as you have time to wait, because you still get to sit on the benches and just hang out in a beautiful area.

Due to the fact that the course is built all over a large hill, there is an EXCELLENT chance of being hit by stray noob hyzers. We were playing on one hole that cut across the slope, with the next hole directly above it playing in the opposite direction. Someone in the group ahead of us made a throw that faded hard to the left and sailed directly downhill and into my shin. Be very mindful of who is ahead and downhill of you.

Due to the physically demanding nature and difficulty of the course, it may not be the best course for families or brand new players. It does not instill confidence in new players to hit tree after tree all day. That being said, it is a great place to improve for anyone willing to stick with it.

Other Thoughts: Simply put, this is one of the best courses in Colorado. If you have only one opportunity to play a Colorado course you should give this one very serious consideration. It is representative of everything that mountain courses have to offer. Just make sure you are prepared with some good shoes, plenty of water and other refreshments, and all the tricks in your bag.

Great

1    7/26/2015   7/30/2015
Review By: ABosco26
Pros: Beautiful course, well maintained. The views are unbelievable. Very easy to find the holes and tee boxes.

There is a variety of challenges, whether its distance, trees, water, change in elevation. This course does a great job of mixing it up and keeping it challenging.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Play this course. Well worth the $8 a day.

Epic Mountain Course

1    6/6/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: SteLaG
This review was updated on 6/28/2016
Pros: Gorgeous mountain course that pretty much has everything you could ask for in a disc golf course. Has lots of downhill bombs where you can really let your disc fly. Also has a good mix of technical holes that offer a lot of risk and reward. Very unique and challeging course layout that seems to be a common occurrence for most mountain courses. This is the cream of the crop as far as championship level mountain courses go.

One of the best (if not the best) maintained mountain courses around. Big concrete tee pads, many sitting areas, and garbage cans in well placed locations. This is what I expect to see when I pay to play, but many of the mountain courses don't provide these amenities. This definitely puts Beaver a cut above the rest.

Has a cool little pro shop at the start of the course that has all sorts of merchandise and snacks. Staff is super friendly and able to answer any and all questions.

The course is really not too far from the Denver Metro Area and is well worth the trip.
Cons: The dirt road coming into the parking was in pretty rough shape. I bottomed out my car on a huge pothole that I didn't notice.

Like I mentioned before I don't mind pay to play courses especially when you can see that they are putting the money back into the course, but the fees seem to increase here every single year. The season pass would be a good value if you plan to go 10+ times a year, but with so many other courses to play nearby its not necessarily worth it for me.

As far as the course goes there are really no cons.
Other Thoughts: It would be really nice if they bumped the number of holes up to 27. Also, if they could somehow get some of the other courses nearby (Bailey) to honer their season pass it would be a much better value.

All in all this is my by far my favorite mountain course and is always a blast to play.

Very fun, worth your time

1    9/27/2014   6/22/2015
Review By: iconoclastes
Pros: This course is one of 5 that I threw on a trip to Denver last year and it is a solid course that is absolutely worth your time.
*variable holes in terms of difficulty distance and technicality
*very fun
*pro shop at beginning
*very well maintained
*concrete pads
*many garbages and benches
Cons: *it's a hike, and not an easy one
*it's busy

Other Thoughts: While still better than most courses I play (in MN) but after throwing bucksnort and phantom falls, this one falls short. Had I thrown this one first my thoughts might be more encouraging, but don't let that fool you. This is a great course that I would love to throw again.

1    5/26/2015   6/4/2015
Review By: lineenil
Pros: Beaver Ranch truly is the best of the best. Went there for vacation and was absolutely blown away. Mountain disc golf at it's best.

-An amazing pro shop. Bought a disc and a tee-shirt. Very cool.
-23 holes was the perfect amount. For an out of towner, I can't lie, I was starting to be short of breath from the altitude by the end of it. Seems like the land was used optimally and for the beast of a course it was, the extra 5 holes were perfect and did not feel tacked on at all.
-Would have paid the entrance fee just for the hike and views. Beautiful.
-Specifically holes 7 and 8 were spectacular. Very steep elevation drops allow for some absolutely bombs on a calm day. I almost threw my whole bag into those fields.
-Incredible design outside of those two holes as well. I found myself having load of fun on every hole, even if I was just hitting trees.
Cons: -Holes 13 and 14 were nothing more than a straight, steep hike back up the mountain. Understandable for the terrain, but annoyingly simple uphill shots non-the-less.
-Be ready for a hike as others have said. I was ready and excited for it, so not necessarily a con for me
-Not free, but again, not really a con. Entirely worth it- heck, buy some of their merch while you're at it! Fantastic course.
Other Thoughts: Can't say much bad. I only wish I lived in Colorado so I could play it more frequently. Loved the visit!!!

This course blows...

1    9/6/2014   5/26/2015
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: My mind! haha see what I did there?!

Beaver ranch has just about everything that you need to enjoy a course not just for today but for years to come. Terrain change (dirt to grass and back e.g.) and elevation change are used frequently to make shot selection and disc placement more challenging and of course who doesn't enjoy a big downhill throw?!

Finding and playing the course is easy with directional markers guiding you along the way although most tee pads are close enough and pathways are defined enough that even without the next tee signs you would probably do alright.

Variety here is abundant between throwing up or on the side of the hill through semi tight wooded lines to the more open medium bomber big downhill throws that make this course so fun. Add to that the multiple pin placements on the course and you could play here several times and have a different experience/result each time.

I love the tee signs and the awesome wooden benches which are difficult to vandalize I think or maybe it's just too hard of a walk for vandals and they destroy things at ground level, who knows.

I love that the local club wasn't afraid to go against the grain and make this course 23 holes. So many times course designers try to get an exact number (usually 9,18 or 27) of holes in the course when the land provided does not allow for this while still having great holes. I'd rather have 23 awesome holes rather then cramming in 27 and losing something.

Zipline people (zipliners?) are crazy!
Cons: Multiple basket locations are great for mixing it up and keeping the course fresh and interesting for multiple skill levels but at the same time if you're coming in from out of town/state and likely will only play the course once you might feel like you missed something if you didn't get to play them all.

There isn't a hole out here that I didn't like and I think I would hard pressed to take any out but some variety in par would be great, unfortunately this would require removing holes and I don't think that would be a wise move.

Some people hate dirt pads I guess. I love natural pads, actually carpet is my favorite. Concrete is hard on my knees and ankles and is much more permanent and hard to remove, especially on the top or side of a mountain so I'm glad they stayed with dirt.
Other Thoughts: Just like Upshawt1979 said in his review I also took this trip with my dad. We played all of the awesome courses in the area. He is in his late 50's and weighs close to 300 pounds but was able to play Beaver Ranch, Phantom Falls, Bucksnort and Bailey on consecutive days, with proper hydration and resting of course. My point is stop whining about hills and get your butt up here and play!

Must Play Course!

1    5/6/2015   5/12/2015
Review By: Kill Face
Pros: Course was very easy to navigate and flowed very well. You couldn't find a better view anywhere much less on a Disc Golf course. Varying fairway types,some tight and wooded some straight up the side of the mountain some open field types and about 6 holes where you have huge elevation drops and can just empty your bag to see how far you can bomb it. I believe all the tee pads were concrete. Locals were very friendly and more than happy to help if you have questions. It cost $5 for a pass to play all day.Its on the honor system during the week so bring cash and put it into the drop box,most weekends someone should be there to collect the money. Some would see paying to play as a con but you can clearly see they are putting the money to good use. I would be hesitant to pay to play a 2 star course but this sport will never grow if its participants dont cough up a little bit of cheddar now and then to make and maintain a high quality course.
Cons: Limited toilets,a couple of port o potties before you arrive at 1's tee pad and one out house around hole 10 I believe. This is not a huge deal,I mean come on you're on a mountain! Just a heads up.
Other Thoughts: I played this course 4 years ago and it was fun but it was a long walk to the 1st tee pad and could get a little confusing navigating the course for a tourist like me. Luckily The Beaver Ranch Foothill Flyers DGC (I believe thats the name of the club) has redesigned the course a bit and now its a 23 hole course with more holes planned! There is clear signage for disc golf parking now as well as a trailer/disc store set up on your short walk to the new 1st tee pad. There is also little yellow arrows throughout the course to keep you on track and flowing smoothly. If you live near the Denver,Conifer,Bailey area or are in town visiting definitely play this course. Its only about 30 -40 min from downtown Denver and its a great drive up into the mountains as well. I look forward to playing this course again in the future.

Beaver Ranch

1    7/16/2014   5/11/2015
Review By: vcisjb
Pros: Even if you went here and didn't throw a disc its a gorgeous hike.
Tees are perfect, clearly marked, signage is perfection.
Excellent Pro-Shop
I love the "putting course" at the entry, good way to warm up.
Beaver Ranch Disc (how cool is that)
Cons: This will be a long hike. Just keep that in mind
Your disc will roll down the hill at the worst moment and it will make you cry, you were so close!
Other Thoughts: This is honestly the course I judge all other course I play by. One of the first "big boy" courses I played, so maybe I have a rose tinted glasses view of it, but really I remember it being darn near perfect.

Wish this was Home

1    4/27/2015   4/27/2015
Review By: Esiersdale
This review was updated on 9/14/2015
Pros: The course deserves minimum 4 stars for the views alone. Having a disc shop on site with used discs for first timers or travelers with small suitcases adds another .5. Then the golf, tight New England fairways coupled with wide open Texas style shots makes this the best of both worlds.
Cons: Only thing to mention is you need to bring water and be in good shape to handle this course. Should be a sign encouraging this at the shop.
Other Thoughts: This may be the best course I've only been able to play one time and is worth whatever price you need to pay to make the drive from Denver.

A must-play course in the Denver, CO area

1    3/14/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course is located in a beautiful forest area near Conifer, CO.
- There's a "pro-shop" on site, but was closed while I there.
- The course was clean and well kept.
- All of the tee boxes have concrete pads, benches, bag hangers, and signs that are actually useful.
- Many of the signs had a photograph, showing the view from the tee box, with an overlay of where to find the basket. I found this extremely helpful on several of the holes.
- The course has an amazing variety of elevation changes and various types of shots are needed here. Some were up hill, some were down hill, some were tunnel shots and some are wide-open. None of them are "super-easy" shots though.
- The landscape is really nice here and I sat on several of the benches just hanging out enjoying the views and peaceful area.
- You will see a fair amount of wildlife here.
Cons: - The course is roughly 8300ft. above sea level, which means the air is thin. If you're not used to the altitude, you will get tired quickly.
- I can't think of anything else to complain about; this course is just amazing.
Other Thoughts: If you're anywhere near Conifer/Denver, you need to play this course. The $5 course fee is worth every penny and I've never played a course that looked this professional or had as much effort put into it. I would have played two rounds but I was worn out after the first round. The altitude and climbing wore me out fast and I had to take a lot of breaks.

I recommend taking your time on this course, there's no need to rush. I enjoyed the scenery and peacefulness, and then I put some thought into my shots. Due to the huge elevation changes on some of the holes, you really have to choose your shots carefully. If you run at the chains from 75ft. and miss, you might be rolling 200ft. down the hill.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 18