Conifer, CO
Hiking towards tee #1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15

5+    10/16/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: gund
Pros: Beautiful course, scenery, use of topography. I have no problem dropping $3 every time I visit to support this wonderful course.
Cons: looking forward to the cement t pads
Other Thoughts: why do tobacco smokers think butts are not litter?

Dg at it's finest

5+    9/26/2011   9/30/2011
Review By: Chiefstang
This review was updated on 10/25/2011
Pros: -Where to start? Absolutely amazing scenery abounds on every hole
-Amazing use of elevation with uphill, downhill, and sidehill shots everywhere.
-Navigation is easy with logs bordering the paths around the entire course. Hole 5 is the only trick, requiring you to backtrack down 4 to find the path.
-Baskets are in great shape throughout the entire course.
-The signs are some of the best I've seen with photos of the holes and basket positions clearly marked on each.
-Multiple pin positions ensure that you'll want to come back... Well, you'll want to come back anyways.
-A workout! I consider this a pro. You will know you played a round by the time you're finished. Bring good footwear, and snacks/drinks. Thankfully there are beautiful benches at nearly every tee.
-Every hole is a signature hole. Seriously. This is my first five-star rating, and most of it is due to the smile that hits my face at every single tee pad. You just can't wait to see what the course has in store for you next.
-Many holes have a great potential for roll aways... LONG roll aways, so the club has taken the time to build "log-dams" on the hillsides to prevent discs from rolling back to downtown Denver.
-There is a restroom on 14
-Great hole length variety. 20 plays out to 700', while 7 leavs you with a 177' downhill ace-run. You will use drivers, mids, and putters off the tees here.
-Hole 17. It needs to be mentioned. The pictures of course do it no justice. You will be glad you brought your backup drivers for the tee shot, but playing the long basket will also leave you an upshot worth locking in your memory bank for those long days at work.
-On a mountain course, there's always a chance of losing discs, but this course is pretty clear, and the club has done a fantastic job of making sure your plastic gets back into your bag. The upkeep is second to none.
-There's a teepee on 4. No course is complete without a teepee.
Cons: -Natural tees. They're in good shape however, and concrete pads are on the way.
-I hate to even put it in the cons, but to many it's a deterrant. Beaver Ranch has gone to a pay-to-play course. For a meager $3, you get to play a mountain disc golf paradise. The money is going directly into the course, with concrete tees, and a proposed second eighteen hole course on the way. Pony up, it's worth it.
-The walk to one. From the parking lot, there's a half mile walk to the first tee. Personally, I'm about to walk a few miles in some rugged terrain, so a warmup walk on a level, clear path doesn't bother me. Locals will drive further up the road to a traihead that lets you start on hole 12. For me, the start at hole 1 is part of the experience. Staring up an almost vertical hole lets you know what you just signed up for. I also believe the parking will be closer once the new course is layed out.
Other Thoughts: -This is mountain discing at it's finest. The few gripes listed are in the process of being fixed, and another 18 holes are on the way. There seems to be constant improvement here, and the club deserves a ton of credit.
-I've brought beginners here, and even though their scores were high, they were in awe of the course the entire way through.
-I've played some of the better courses in the country, and Beaver Ranch truly deserves to be listed with the best. It is an experience that will tickle your brain until you make the trip to play it again.

It's a workout

5+    9/9/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: SalsaBear
Pros: altitude changes and long distances have this course challenging any player. nice views of the mountains and easy to navigate through the trees

Cons: none
Other Thoughts: none

Beaver Ranch Overrated!

5+    8/27/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: BaronVonDisc
Pros: Nice layout! Well thought out and great use of the wooded mountain terrain. Most holes are actually a chance to ace or bird. The lanes were chosen nicely making you throw a near perfect techinal throw, yet allowing for the early tree hit and still able to save par.
Cons: Bring 1 dollar bills! This course is now pay to play and payment is made to a payment box that don't give back change.
Other Thoughts: Its worth it to plan your day to play 2 rounds if possible. Its never a dissapointment

Stunning

1    8/8/2011   8/25/2011
Review By: ChargerRacing
Pros: - Not even quite sure where to start with this review, it was such a great course.
- Some incredibly standout holes all through the course, but some of my favorites were 15 (mainly for the views), 17, and 20.
- Great signage. Everything on the course was very well marked.
- Every shot in your bag is required.
- Beautiful scenery.
- Although the baskets were homemade, they were great.
- Very well thought out design that flowed easily from one hole to the next.
- Most of the holes with a chance of a bad roll down the side of a mountain actually had barriers, which were a good thought.
- Though I normally dislike courses that start away from the parking area, I enjoyed the walk in to the course, which was a nice walk through the valley and across the river.
Cons: - After two holes I was really not liking this course. I thought that the first two holes were the worst designed on the course. They used no creativity in these two holes, as they are both straightline power shots up the side of the mountain. The shots on these two hole just require nothing but power and not much skill.
- Although its not a big issue because of the quality of the teepads, they are dirt instead of concrete.
Other Thoughts: Though after two holes I was wondering why this course was ranked as high as it was, by the end of 20 I knew why. It is an absolutely stellar design surrounded by beautiful scenery. This is a near flawless course, and its an absolute blast to play. I would highly recommend going out of your way to play this course as it is truly an outstanding course.

Rocky Mountain Majesty

2-4    8/10/2010   8/2/2011
Review By: markjfun
This review was updated on 10/25/2011
Pros: If you live around the Denver area (or even if you don't) and you have the slightest interest in disc golf, you've probably heard of the highly-renowned course at Beaver Ranch/Conifer. Friends and acquaintances told me many times over "you've got to check out the Conifer course, man." I finally heeded their advice and what I found was a truly top-notch course that disc golfers of all levels should be lucky enough to someday play through. My favorite aspects of the course include: beautiful mountain scenery, strategic course design, clear signage (with amusing captions!), bag hooks at each tee, benches at most tees, great maintenance, the sense of exploration, and overall, the novelty of its distance from major cities. Also, nearly all of the holes have multiple basket locations (clearly marked on signs as A, B, C) that are rotated often enough that returning for another round should offer something different.
Cons: As an avid mountaineer, I'd never thought about the fact that it may be a difficult hike through the course for some disc golfers, but that definitely should be something to consider. It is on a mountain, after all. Wear good sturdy shoes and bring an extra layer of clothing. In the fall and spring, weather can be an issue - sunny skies can turn to flurries and the thermometer can drop 15 degrees during a full round. Beaver Ranch's distance from major Colorado cities and towns makes it less convenient to play often, but then again, that's partly what holds its majesty. A few of the launch pads are at off-kilter angles, making an approach of more than a few steps a bit tricky. The technical nature of the course may frustrate newer players.
Other Thoughts: Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park seems to remain high on the list of most commonly reviewed disc golf courses, and for good reason. It is among the most remarkable of the nation's DG offerings (ranked 9th worldwide as of 10/25/11); if you don't believe me, get out there and experience it for yourself!

1    4/29/2010   7/29/2011
Review By: CKR-JK
Pros: Everything.
Great course, great views.
Cons: LONG walk to first tee.
I would not play alone due to the the possibility of running into a wild animal.
Other Thoughts: Played the course in the snow but was still blown away!

First Review

2-4    7/25/2011   7/26/2011
Review By: sctsl
Pros: I just started playing disc golf this season, so my perspective may be somewhat different from the more experienced players out there, but in a nut shell this sport and this course are awesome. I cannot believe it took me so long to do this. I am always trying new things and this sport has somehow evaded me up to now.

This is the first course I ever played, and what an introduction. I am a native of the area so the terrain itself was not an issue, but trying to not lose my discs took concentrated focus. I have played this course 3 times now and have lost 2 discs and found one. If you get an out of control, or unintentional roller you are in trouble here. Most of the holes are on a steep slope that has the potential to deposit your disc far out of sight.

Of the three times I have played this course this year we have been interrupted twice by heavy rain and hail. The Colorado Rockies are like that! Luckily there is a structure (outhouse) that lies near the #13 green that is fairly accessible from anywhere on the course that has been a life saver on both occasions. Several weeks ago there was a large canvas wall tent there as well, but it is gone now. Also near the #5 tee is a large makeshift teepee type structure built onto the trunk of a tree that would provide partial shelter (protect you from hail).

I so far have played only one other course that I will not review because I have nothing good to say about it, but my point is that I do not have much in the way of experience to compare to, but this course is so much fun that it may be a long time before I get around to any others. Every time I have a chance to play (and someone to play with) I head to this course.

On Aug 1st, 2011, it looks like they will begin charging a $3.00 green fee to play. Again with no experience to fall back on I do not see this as a deterrent. $3.00 seems reasonable to me.
Cons: I lost 2 discs here! lol

Absolutely Amazing

1    7/17/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: OkieDave
Pros: Agreed with most other reviews. This is truly an amazing course.

-Bag Hanggers
-Super fun layout of course
-Benches
-Signage
-Scenery
-Hole #17, 20, 8, 18
Cons: None in my opinion
Other Thoughts: This was my first course to play in Denver while visiting. I took my brother-in-law and he had never played before. He did amazing. What a course to play your first round of disc golf. A new addict was born. I can't wait to play this course again.

very physically demanding

2-4    7/12/2011   7/16/2011
Review By: inuse23
Pros: Very challenging.
Incredible scenery.
Bag hangers
Concrete Tee's
Tipi at tee 5
Cons: Very challenging.
The first 3 holes are pretty much straight uphill
It can be exhausting for if you're used to flat courses.
Other Thoughts: This course is simply amazing. The first time I played it I was worn out by the 5th hole. I've never played a course with a more difficult first hole. It's not a very good course for beginners but everyone should appreciate the beauty.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15