Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #5 (Taken 8/2008)
Hole #5 Long Tee

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
 Stunning

1    8/8/2011   8/25/2011
Review By: ChargerRacing
Pros: - Not even quite sure where to start with this review, it was such a great course.
- Some incredibly standout holes all through the course, but some of my favorites were 15 (mainly for the views), 17, and 20.
- Great signage. Everything on the course was very well marked.
- Every shot in your bag is required.
- Beautiful scenery.
- Although the baskets were homemade, they were great.
- Very well thought out design that flowed easily from one hole to the next.
- Most of the holes with a chance of a bad roll down the side of a mountain actually had barriers, which were a good thought.
- Though I normally dislike courses that start away from the parking area, I enjoyed the walk in to the course, which was a nice walk through the valley and across the river.
Cons: - After two holes I was really not liking this course. I thought that the first two holes were the worst designed on the course. They used no creativity in these two holes, as they are both straightline power shots up the side of the mountain. The shots on these two hole just require nothing but power and not much skill.
- Although its not a big issue because of the quality of the teepads, they are dirt instead of concrete.
Other Thoughts: Though after two holes I was wondering why this course was ranked as high as it was, by the end of 20 I knew why. It is an absolutely stellar design surrounded by beautiful scenery. This is a near flawless course, and its an absolute blast to play. I would highly recommend going out of your way to play this course as it is truly an outstanding course.

Rocky Mountain Majesty

2-4    8/10/2010   8/2/2011
Review By: markjfun
This review was updated on 10/25/2011
Pros: If you live around the Denver area (or even if you don't) and you have the slightest interest in disc golf, you've probably heard of the highly-renowned course at Beaver Ranch/Conifer. Friends and acquaintances told me many times over "you've got to check out the Conifer course, man." I finally heeded their advice and what I found was a truly top-notch course that disc golfers of all levels should be lucky enough to someday play through. My favorite aspects of the course include: beautiful mountain scenery, strategic course design, clear signage (with amusing captions!), bag hooks at each tee, benches at most tees, great maintenance, the sense of exploration, and overall, the novelty of its distance from major cities. Also, nearly all of the holes have multiple basket locations (clearly marked on signs as A, B, C) that are rotated often enough that returning for another round should offer something different.
Cons: As an avid mountaineer, I'd never thought about the fact that it may be a difficult hike through the course for some disc golfers, but that definitely should be something to consider. It is on a mountain, after all. Wear good sturdy shoes and bring an extra layer of clothing. In the fall and spring, weather can be an issue - sunny skies can turn to flurries and the thermometer can drop 15 degrees during a full round. Beaver Ranch's distance from major Colorado cities and towns makes it less convenient to play often, but then again, that's partly what holds its majesty. A few of the launch pads are at off-kilter angles, making an approach of more than a few steps a bit tricky. The technical nature of the course may frustrate newer players.
Other Thoughts: Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park seems to remain high on the list of most commonly reviewed disc golf courses, and for good reason. It is among the most remarkable of the nation's DG offerings (ranked 9th worldwide as of 10/25/11); if you don't believe me, get out there and experience it for yourself!

1    4/29/2010   7/29/2011
Review By: CKR-JK
Pros: Everything.
Great course, great views.
Cons: LONG walk to first tee.
I would not play alone due to the the possibility of running into a wild animal.
Other Thoughts: Played the course in the snow but was still blown away!

First Review

2-4    7/25/2011   7/26/2011
Review By: sctsl
Pros: I just started playing disc golf this season, so my perspective may be somewhat different from the more experienced players out there, but in a nut shell this sport and this course are awesome. I cannot believe it took me so long to do this. I am always trying new things and this sport has somehow evaded me up to now.

This is the first course I ever played, and what an introduction. I am a native of the area so the terrain itself was not an issue, but trying to not lose my discs took concentrated focus. I have played this course 3 times now and have lost 2 discs and found one. If you get an out of control, or unintentional roller you are in trouble here. Most of the holes are on a steep slope that has the potential to deposit your disc far out of sight.

Of the three times I have played this course this year we have been interrupted twice by heavy rain and hail. The Colorado Rockies are like that! Luckily there is a structure (outhouse) that lies near the #13 green that is fairly accessible from anywhere on the course that has been a life saver on both occasions. Several weeks ago there was a large canvas wall tent there as well, but it is gone now. Also near the #5 tee is a large makeshift teepee type structure built onto the trunk of a tree that would provide partial shelter (protect you from hail).

I so far have played only one other course that I will not review because I have nothing good to say about it, but my point is that I do not have much in the way of experience to compare to, but this course is so much fun that it may be a long time before I get around to any others. Every time I have a chance to play (and someone to play with) I head to this course.

On Aug 1st, 2011, it looks like they will begin charging a $3.00 green fee to play. Again with no experience to fall back on I do not see this as a deterrent. $3.00 seems reasonable to me.
Cons: I lost 2 discs here! lol

Absolutely Amazing

1    7/17/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: OkieDave
Pros: Agreed with most other reviews. This is truly an amazing course.

-Bag Hanggers
-Super fun layout of course
-Benches
-Signage
-Scenery
-Hole #17, 20, 8, 18
Cons: None in my opinion
Other Thoughts: This was my first course to play in Denver while visiting. I took my brother-in-law and he had never played before. He did amazing. What a course to play your first round of disc golf. A new addict was born. I can't wait to play this course again.

very physically demanding

2-4    7/12/2011   7/16/2011
Review By: inuse23
Pros: Very challenging.
Incredible scenery.
Bag hangers
Concrete Tee's
Tipi at tee 5
Cons: Very challenging.
The first 3 holes are pretty much straight uphill
It can be exhausting for if you're used to flat courses.
Other Thoughts: This course is simply amazing. The first time I played it I was worn out by the 5th hole. I've never played a course with a more difficult first hole. It's not a very good course for beginners but everyone should appreciate the beauty.

Great and Challenging

5+    6/21/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: LDietz
Pros: Every hole is different. Every hole is a challenge. Even if you don't play disc golf, walking the course is great exercise. I'm new to this sport and I've played courses in CO, KS, and GA. This is by far the most fun.
Cons: Tee pads get a lot of wear and often are not level due to usage. This is a minor inconvenience that in no way spoils the game.
Other Thoughts: A really nice place to both enjoy a sport, get some exercise, and visit with Mother Nature.

awesome mountain course

5+    7/13/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: gmarteeny
Pros: the course is very challenging requiring many different shots to get to the basket, with many risk versus reward shots due to roll off potential. the scenery and overall mountain atmosphere are just great. the course is well marked and easy to follow with benches at many of the tee boxes as well as bag hangers at every tee box.
Cons: there is some hiking involved and it's not for the slackers, the half mile walk in is quite easy despite what some might say and serves as a good warm up for the course.
Other Thoughts: bring water and hiking shoes you will need them both at some point

Awesome course!!

1    5/21/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: tcumpton
Pros: This was by far the best course I have played and got a very good excersize as well. A super challenging course that will have you testing everyone of the shots in your bag. There are couple of very "aceable" holes in the course. Even on the hottest day it stays cool because off the trees that shade thing. Everyone that is around the area of the course are other playres so they are aware of their surroundings and other disc golfers throwing. There are some very long shots that will have you amazed when you step up to throw.
Cons: The only things that were a tiny bit of a problem was the hike up to the first t-pad and after a rain we went and the was a small a mount off water on a couple of pads, but other than that absolutely amazing.
Other Thoughts: Very easy to loose discs so watch exactly where your disc goes. with all of the trees that looks the same its hard to tell which one your disc is laying under if you take your eye off. I looked for my buzzz forever after seeing it land under a tree and then forgetting which tree so I looked around for it forever.

Off to a good start, needs just a few more tweaks...

2-4    5/9/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: cpaquette
This review was updated on 7/16/2011
Pros: This is one of the ultimate mountain courses providing both amazing scenery and dramatic elevation changes on nearly every hole. Hole 17 is one of my all time favorites as you have a severe downhill shot to one of two basket locations. The trees and drop-offs near many of the baskets make several holes here a formidable challenge, even for advanced players. There are plenty of opportunities to throw just about any type of shot you can think of on this course which I really liked.
Cons: The signage and tee pads on this course leaves something to be desired. I don't feel this can be considered a 5 rating course until the tee pads are concrete. Like others I felt the parking lot could be a bit closer to the first and last hole.
Other Thoughts: DO NOT ATTEMPT to play this course with just tennis shoes, you need hiking boots, tons of water and someone who has played the course before so you don't get frustrated like I did my first round here. This course does have a TON of potential and has one of the most "unspoiled" natural settings I've seen. Please keep it that way and pick up after yourselves.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16