Conifer, CO
Beaver Ranch Share
Uploaded By: goatpiper Hole #20

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 15
 Great hike ... disc golf an excellent bonus

1    8/6/2010   8/20/2010
Review By: puttlikeablowfly
Pros: Where to begin? Fantastic use of elevation change. Mix of open and wooded, long and short, left and right. Multiple pin placements. Incredible new signs with pole-hole-shaped bag hooks and beautiful log benches. Lots of opportunities for memorable shots. Paths lined with tree limbs to guide you to the next tee. And, of course, gorgeous scenery. Everyone I ran into was very friendly and helpful.
Cons: Long hike to / from parking lot. No concrete tees (yes, I know this would be difficult, but I can't give a course five stars without them).
Other Thoughts: Those like me who live at an elevation of less than 1000' and are not necessarily in great shape will wish they had oxygen tanks, but the course is definitely worth the pain. The first few holes take you straight up the hill, with #1 having a large set of stairs directly in front of the tee. The middle dozen or so holes are generally played on the "flat" (in relative terms) and more open top of the hill, although a couple of them (especially #11) drop you back down into a valley and require a hike back up. Take some photos between the 9th and 16th fairways, and get ready for the memorable drive down into (or across) the valley on #17. The last three holes bring you back down to the bottom. I couldn't see that the basket on #20 was in the middle placement, so what I thought was an unlucky break hitting a tree branch saved me quite a throw and hike back up the hill. All in all, one of the best courses I've ever played. Well worth the drive and hike.

Ahhhh Yea

5+    5/10/2010   8/14/2010
Review By: Big Gun
Pros: This is the coarse to go out of your way for. It is so bad a##. Bring a group and just tear it up. Every hole could make or break your round. Best coarse in Co.
Cons: Long walk in
Other Thoughts: This is the coarse, It's indescribable, the pictures do it no justice.

Wow

1    8/8/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: Dalisllama
Pros: The setting is just great! The layout is big time fun! State Champs was here recently and the Pin placement is great. Bring your A game and plan on some hiking. Great variety of long and technical throws, lots of trees and open spaces, up hills, down hills, and across hills.
Cons: some branches could be trimmed.
Other Thoughts: This is a must PLAY! stop what you are doing and grab your discs and drive to conifer.

Thanks to Rodney and staff at Beaver Ranch!

We are Lucky

5+    7/24/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: andylibrande
Pros: We are lucky to have such a beautiful course so close to Denver/front range. Great variety of holes and pin-placements. Unreal setting. Great flow in the course. Easy to navigate. Improvements are always happening to the course. Also certain pin-placements on holes drastically change the difficultly of the holes (ie #9 adding 110ft of extra uphill carnage).
Cons: In certain pin-placements it is easy to confuse the baskets with other holes (mainly on #4). Played it once on easier pin-placements and thought I wasn't half-bad, played it later on much harder pin-placements and cried myself to sleep that evening.
Other Thoughts: The short walk-in/walk-out is perfect for stretching the legs after driving in the car; it takes almost no time and is not a problem. Almost all the photos on the website are really dated and don't show how great the new improvements are.

Made it up there finally

1    7/20/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 11/26/2012
Pros: This course will be one of the most gorgeous courses you have ever seen,and if not I'm wish listing the course you know of thats better.Tocabaga's jungle in St.Petersburg Fl,and Sipipu in New Mex are the only others of such beauty.Actually the courses in the foothills west of Ft.Collins are pretty scenic as well but not quite as nice.
Cons: I wished the course would have been a bit tougher don't get me wrong there are some epic like holes(2-3).Shorter holes aren't too boring but why not stretch them out if you can.Playing in such a beautiful area I really wish the shorter holes were a bit tougher.
Other Thoughts: Definitely the better course in the Denver area since all the courses around there are so F'n easy to shoot par or under.As far as my scores go Sakuna Pines in the Black Forest is still harder but this course will make you throw more then a 65 thats for sure.21 holes

Amazing!!

1    8/7/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: tandren
Pros: Dynamically technical holes that require a varying array of shots.
Amazing scenery.
Great baskets/signage.
Cons: Some steep hills can run away with your discs.
Other Thoughts: If you find a Yellow Discraft Buzz on Hole 20 with the name Travis Andren on it...please message me or call the number on the disc. I'll come get it. Reward $

Risk/reward at altitude

2-4    7/25/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 5/14/2012
Pros: There are a few great pros for this beautiful course:

1. Risk/reward. This course epitomizes risk/reward. Nearly every hole has several routes to the hole of varying difficulty (see the Other Comments below). Most of the baskets are situated on some sort of slope, so putting is never completely safe. Do you trust yourself to sink that 25-foot putt? You know you can't lay up, but it wasn't rare to see one of us clang an uphill putt and then watch helplessly as it rolls past us 50 feet downhill. Which leads to…
2. Scoring spreads. I don't usually pay attention to this, but I noticed how great it was playing with friends and never having any lead safe. On a lot of courses if you're ahead by 2 strokes after 14 or 15 holes, you're going to win. Not here. If you go the difficult route and make it, there are definitely holes here with birdie potential. But if you screw it up, you could be looking at a double bogey. I imagine this is a great place for tournaments for this reason. Also because…
3. Challenge. You probably won't be shooting par here if the baskets are in the long positions like they were when I was there (shortly after the Colorado State Championships). Most of the fairways are, well, fair, but they don't have a lot of room for error.
4. Scenery. It's on a mountain. It's pretty. You know how it goes.
5. Signage. The signs are excellent. There is a photograph of the fairway with the basket positions overlaid. There is also a bird's eye graphical depiction of the fairway, along with distances to each position. Nice work.

Holes 16 and 17 might be the signature holes (long downhill bombs…try the long basket on 17 for a real challenge), but I think 13 is the best. The tee shot is an uphill tunnel shot opening to a open area. Then it's a hard dogleg right about 225 feet to the hole. The basket is on a natural mound surrounded on three sides by steep slope and on the other by a big pit (think sand trap). If you don't land it within 15 feet, you have a very risky putt. I love this hole.
Cons: There aren't a lot of major cons, but there are a couple. The tee pads are all dirt and gravel. Obviously concrete pads would be impractical on this sort of course, but perhaps rubber pads are possible one day. Although it didn't rain while I was in town, several pads had standing water. I'm sure the course is a mess after heavy rain or the spring melt.

The fairways for #5 and #16 are adjacent, and it can be tough on #16 to throw a good shot and completely avoid the fairway of #5.

When I was there, we counted six or seven dogleg right holes and only one dogleg left. I like to see basket positions that are a bit more even in that regard.
Other Thoughts: An example of the risk/reward nature of the course: On hole 19, my first time I threw a high S shot over the top and landed 10 feet from the hole. The next round I tried the same shot, turned it over a bit, and ended up down the hill to the right and got a 5. The next two rounds I played it safe, throwing straight ahead under the trees and got a 4 and 3. Four rounds, four different scores on the hole, and I deserved every score I got. Point being, this is just one hole, but there are a LOT of holes like that on this course.

A couple holes have multiple baskets or multiple tees, but only a couple. I'm glad to see them improving an excellent course, and I look forward to seeing the progress on my next visit. From what I understand, they are building another course near hole 20. Wow. This could really become an elite disc golf destination.

This is the most fun course I have played.

Fun day

1    8/2/2010   8/2/2010
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: There are tons of elevation changes. The holes are a good variety of up and down left to right. The course even has open and tight holes. The variety is amazing. There are very nice sign posts, and tee boxes. Also, despite the occasional plane or car passing it was a very serene and sublime. This course should be played by anyone that can afford the drive. It's a bit into the mountains but it is well worth it. Even though there were a couple large groups, the locals were very friendly and would let you play through. I also like the baskets far better than DisCatchers.
Cons: Some of the tees showed some erosion and had stones in the area causing a difficult drive in some spots, but this is an extremely picky con.

Nearly the best course ever.

1    6/17/2010   6/25/2010
Review By: monkeytaco
Pros: Crazy elevation changes. Imagine standing in front of a 5 story building and throwing your disc on top of that from about 50 feet in front of it. That's how you're greeted at hole #1. A great hike, beautiful scenery, really hard to lose a disc even though its mountainous. Hole #17 is probably my favorite. hole. ever. Multiple pin placements. The list goes on...
Cons: It is a long walk from parking to #1 and from #20 back to the parking lot, but worth it. The elevation changes will kick your butt if you're fat like me, again - totally worth it.

Might be too awesome.

Hole #11 is HARD. I'm a right handed forehand thrower and even though I put several discs right on the path, they somehow figured out how to roll down the hill a LONG way. :) I don't know if that's a con though, it is challenging and really fun...
Other Thoughts: Echoing other reviewers: Bring Water! This is a fantastic course that should be on everyone's must play list.

If you can play it during the week you'll find you're all alone.

Play this course. I'm going back next week!

Are you ready?

5+    6/6/2010   6/10/2010
Review By: Drew Heintz
Pros: Uhhh. The pros of this course? All I got to say is play it. Words cannot describe the adventure to do it justice. 200' shot up a 60 degree incline, 300' shot over one of the biggest gaps I have ever played (definate bag-emptier), a man-made Tee-Pee on hole 5 that comes in handy for a little stop (wink, wink), and watch out on #11. DON'T GO RIGHT!!!!
Cons: The 1/2 mile walk to and from your car. On the walk there it is a bit long for a warmer-upper and after you get done playing the 20 holes of not exactly easy-discin', it kinda sucks walking all the way back. Especially if it is a hot day.
Other Thoughts: BRING WATER!!!! You will definately get thirsty. Also, this is a beautifull course, on some beautifull land. Keep it like that. Pack it in and pack it out, (field strip cigarettes and put em in you pocket, squash beer cans and put 'em in your bag, etc...) or at least wait until you get to one of the trash cans. Thanks.

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 15