Pawhuska, OK
The Lodge - Island Course Share
Uploaded By: Greg Layton Hole #2 (Taken 5/2009)
Tee shot from the second hole.

Oklahoma Gem

1    6/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: Dan Ensor
Pros: -I played alone, and had never seen the course before. I never got lost, and never felt the need to walk the holes before playing. There were only 2 throws I would change playing again. It's very easy to navigate. The signs are accurate (other than one pin that had been moved recently) and very helpful.
-There seem to be chairs at every pin! Not benches. Chairs. That you might sit and bs with your friends at for a while, because this place is so beautiful!
-It's private property.
-The "fun factor" was exceptional for me. Lots of hole variety, etc. It punishes errant throws. I was very pleased playing placement golf and scoring just a few over par (I'm 910 rated).
-Peaceful and secluded. Other than the first and last holes, and a couple of holes playing along the highway, I could have forgotten other people existed for the day.
-Well maintained. The rough was rough, but the fairways were prisine.
Cons: The "cons" are barely cons.
-I wish there was a course map available (as I said, though, I had no issues with navigation)
-If you go off the fairway, it can get a little rough. There are some brush piles, etc.
-No other golfers. Seriously ... WTF Oklahomans? Get out and play some good golf! I very much expected to be able to join a group and have a guide, even without making plans with anyone. The more I played, the more I was shocked that wasn't the case.
Other Thoughts: I don't particularly enjoy reviewing courses, but I'm so happy that private courses like these, with wonderful people, wonderful golf, and wonderful scenery, are available, I must say something publicly. I doubt my review is helpful to someone preparing a bag for the course, but hopefully you can see what an amazing time I had here, and what a wonderful place this is even without a golf course.

While trying to find this course, I found two dissenting locations. So I called Jim to ask for directions (after I had missed a few turns). Who ended up being one of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever spoken to. The course is easy to find with proper directions.
I had heard there might be snakes about, so I was very cautious. It certainly looks like a great place for snakes to chill. I never saw a snake, though. I did see several newts/salamanders, turtles, hawks, and my first wild lizard! That alone made the trip a pleasure :) I would make a $5 donation to go on a nature walk here.

Awesome. Worth The Trip

1    10/19/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: So much fun
Good concrete tees (on white and blue)
Good tee signs
Multiple tees.
Good for different skill levels
Great baskets
Plenty of parking
Not crowded
Great shot variety
Uses every shot in your bag
Some tight technical, some bombs
Love the rough country
Great views
Pretty well kept
We were there right after a rain. Ground was solid everywhere. No problems
Great workout. Loved the hike
Great use of water
Great elevation changes
Wonderful use of the trees and land/ rocks.
And to top it off: another awesome course on site.

Favorite Hole(s): #3, #6, #8, #15, #17
Every hole was fun in its own right. No repeats
Cons: Need directional signs
Tee signs should have layout
Rough walking between holes (not a big deal for me but you might take a RTV or ATV of some sort)
Could use concrete on the other tees
Just not very many cons
Other Thoughts: We loved this course. Well worth the trip (3.5h drive). This is a must play if you are anywhere near the area. They don't charge a set fee to play, but, any disc golfer should be willing to donate for the priviledge of playing these two courses. Call ahead and camp on site. You are guaranteed to have a blast if you stop in.
You would be well served to have a guide.

All in all this is one of the most fun courses I have ever seen. Would have been a 5 but, I have to reserve that for the "perfect" course with no cons.
If it was only based on fun I would give it a perfect score.

Stop in, you won't regret it. Stay all day for both courses. Or two days, or three...

Amazingly fun course!!!

1    10/19/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: TylerM
Pros: This course is my very favorite course, without question. The fun factor on this course is just unbelievable!

This course uses water hazards very well. Several holes play around or over water. Hole 17 obviously gets the most attention, but water comes into play on several holes. Hole 17 should get the most attention due to its absolute awesomeness.

A very good mix of length, elevation, and direction makes every hole an adventure. No boring holes here!

Joe the dog!!!! He retrieved several discs for us during the day.

The pads and baskets are in good condition.

Jim let our friend Kenny (our guide) use his Rhyno to save ourselves a lot of walking - the course is huge.

No one else was there, so we had the course to ourselves.

Also liked the practice basket and driving range.
Cons: No amenities.

Signs were inadequate. Only had distance from the pad.
Other Thoughts: A must play for anyone in the area. This course alone is great, but with two courses here it's a no-brainer.
Make sure you contact the Lodge because you will need a guide. Not a course for the weak or disabled. It takes stamina to complete this course!

If I was rating only my experience, it would be a 5+. Outstanding course!!!!!

Great Course

1    10/11/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: I played this course while in town and was able to compare it to some of the other Tulsa area courses. One of the things I loved about it was how well elevation was used throughout the 18 holes. Most of Tulsa is much more flat than this and that really sets it apart.
The teepads were excellent with plenty of length and concrete pads for two sets of tees. Some of the ponds were dried up with was a bummer, but there was still plenty of water on the course which added some nice risk/reward for shots. We actually played the white tee's which made for enough length without being brutal for an intermediate player. I still think there is enough challenge to be fun for an advanced player from the whites, but the blues take it to the next level. Tee shots were very thought out and there are some fantastic pin positions.
Navigation was quite easy as there were arrows pointing you wherever you needed to go and the course flow was very logical. I don't recall any spots where people were throwing into each other--the land is large and used well.
Jim is an awesome dude and it is obvious that he and his wife have put a ton of the passion, blood, sweat, and tears into this course which is an incredible blessing.
Cons: Much more than Moccasin Creek, The Island beats you up walking between and during holes. Even though it is the older course, there are plenty of areas that feel like they are "under development" with lots of jagged rocks and spots to roll your ankle, so wear good shoes.
Tee signs left quite a bit to be desired from an information standpoint.
It felt like the course heavily favored lefty's with lots of left to right tee shots, which got a bit old---and it felt like there was a 7 hole stretch where things were a bit redundant in the woods.
Other Thoughts: This course is fantastic and I couldn't be more thrilled to have played it. The island hole was a treat and I always have wanted to play a proper island hole. Lots to love here with just a few gripes, but a no-brainer to play if you are in the Tulsa area. Besides Blackhawk, there aren't any other courses in Tulsa near the caliber of the Lodge. Special thanks to Jim for how accomodating and friendly he was to us.

Awesome variety

1    4/15/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a great secluded property with lots of fun elevation. Many of the shots play with tricky uphills and fun downhills, with a few cool rollaway greens. Water is definitely in play, with a couple ponds adding some cool looking shots with risk/reward decisions required. The island shot is a very cool green, and with elevation and wind adding to the challenge there's high pucker factor if you go for the island off the tee.

Several of the holes play through tighter woods. There is enough brush off the fairways to punish errant shots, and the lines get pretty technical in spots. There is a good variety of left and right turning shots, and with a great mix of hole lengths you'll need every shot you have to score well.

The white and blue tees have good concrete pads. They offer two very different looks at most holes, with more pinch points, tougher lines and more distance from the longs. The whites often offer easier landing zones on the water shots. The tee signs that were there had hole length, and the ones that were missing were due to a recent storm so I'm sure they'll be replaced.
Cons: Navigation is tricky in a couple spots, though the painted basket spokes usually help quite a bit. The tee signs could use hole layout, there are some blind shots where knowing where to throw off the tee would be helpful. There are some areas with tall grass, especially on the more open holes, I'm not a huge fan of prairie grass as it adds frustration rather than disc golf challenge.
Other Thoughts: This course is a blast, and would be worth a stop on it's own, when you add in another phenomenal course on the same property it's worth going out of your way to play here. Beginners might find a fun set of shots from the red tees, though I didn't look at them closely. The whites and blues are pretty tough with some length and lots of tricky water hazards. Experienced players will find some great challenge and variety, the whites are enough to test intermediate to advanced players and the blues will test even the best players.