13 Helpful / 0 Not
The Lodge . . .I'm making another reservation!
Pros: 1) 3 sets of tees makes this course accessible by all and challenges everyone from any level of play.
2) Signs located in the parking lot to help direct you to each course . . . even though the only time you would be there is when the owners were around and able to help you out . . . still worth mentioning as a positive.
3) Driving range is available along the road . . . it may have been intended for golf but it works for disc golf too!!!
4) Practice basket is always a welcome site on a course.
5) Dual concrete tees on this course . . . plus turf tees for the shorter recreational red tees. This is about all you could ask for.
6) Elevation is used very well on this course . . . not massive peaks and valleys but good rolling elevation changes. There also are a couple mountainous like holes. Any given hole might range from 0-50' of elevation change, but the total course might reach up to 100-200' of elevation change which is pretty good . . . especially for Oklahoma.
7) Some garbage cans available on site to rid yourself of the waste you brought in . .. unfortunately I would much rather see pack in pack out but it just doesnt always happen.
8) You want to practice in the wind . . . well come here. I am sure all of Oklahoma has wind from time ot time . . . but I would surely like to come back there when there is no wind . . . just to se how I would do.One of our rounds it had to be blowing 35 MPH and the other calmed down to about 30 MPH sustained winds.
9) This course reminds of of Bracketts Bluff . . . Ocala Greenway . . . and a few others in terms of the uniqueness of some of the holes. So many courses have holes that could be found all over the country . . . not here these are all pretty unique. Those courses are no slouch to be compared with!!!
10) Incredible property with dropoffs . . . water, elevation, rolling terrain, prairie grasses . . .it has it all in my opinion.
11) Nice dog (JOE) . . . followed us for the first 8 or 9 holes . . . in fact he followed us until the hole where the owners found us . . .It was awesome to meet them and we enjoyed having the dog follow us around.
12) Awesome property owners . . . we spent a total of almost 2 hours with Jim including a brief time with his wife. Jim is such a nice cool guy, he would give you his shirt of his back if you lost yours on the course. His wife is really sweet too.
13) #3 is a classic golf design . . . the redan. . . hole where tees work there way from long to short and it changes the angle of the throw from each tee.
14) Bring all your shots and a multitude of discs so you have all your weapons. You will need everything.
15) Incredible variety in hole distance on the entire course and even on each hole depending on which tee you play. 80' all the way up to 790'.
16) #17 at TPC Sawgrass . . . I am sure this is what everyone thinks when they play this course . . .It's a great risk/reward hole.
17) Clubhouse for big tournaments is an asset and we hung out in Jim's office for quite a while just chatting away. I definitely could see myself coming out for a tournament and spending the entire weekend on the property.
18) Camping available and a cabin for rent . . . what's not to love!
19) Headstone looking tee signs with all the info Hole #, Par, Distance from all tees, but no map. Maps were available on some of the tees on a seperate sign.
20) #15 is a great risk/reward shot with water in play, the slope going down to the water with skips possible. You better execute a good shot here.
21) As beginner friendly as a course like this property can be . . .the shortened holes makes it playable by all, but it still will challenge the beginner.
22) Discatchers in good shape and were the right choice for this property so the yello wband can make them easier to find from some of those tees . . . they could easily get lost and blend in with the rocky outcropping and prairie type grasses.
Cons: 1) Rocky soil in spots can lead to injured ankles if you aren't careful . . . nothing that can be done about this because I am sure the rocks just keep coming to the surface.
2) The course is still a little work in progress and I am sure keeping up with maintenance is tough . . . its a lot of land and it isnt always accessible by trucks and/or equipment.
3) Tough to navigate in a few places . . . more directionals would help in a couple places . . . or more obvious directionals as they may have been hidden in spots.
Other Thoughts: I just cannot find much fault with this course . . . it is rough but it is supposed to be that is the natural land. I would say their maintenance would be the toughest thing to handle and I played it in the off season so it wasn't bad at all, but when everything is growing I could only imagine.
I was so excited to play this course and I was so excited to meet the owner and play a round on the other course with him. He has a long history of the property which makes it all the more fun to play along with him.
I want to give this course a 5 because of just how awesome the disc golf is . . . but I cannot without mention of the maintenance issues on site. They do alot of work it is clear but I can only imagine what it is like when everything is growing. I know the course is a work in progress and if he ever is able to make some money I can imagine the details will be figured out. I dropped him $20 for my wife and I to play and he was thankful, but he also gave me a hat, beer coozy, a disc with his custom stamp on it.
I hope this course can survive and he can make some money on the property because it would be a shame to lose this gem in the middle of Central USA.
13 of 13 people found this review helpful.
11 Helpful / 2 Not
nicest courses in OK hands down.
Pros: These courses are gems. straight up. the lodge is always a fun time, campin out, throwin till you drop. i cant say enough good things.
-jim offers a truck-ride tour of the property prior to throwing, was very helpful
-contains elevation unlike any other OK courses with the exception of Duncan
-very demanding, championship caliber
-will make you dig DEEP into your bag for variety
-3 different tees per hole
-well balanced regarding lefts and rights
-good risk reward, a good throw MAY or MAY NOT get you a bird, but more important out here, get you feeling good about your game
-technical tho long
-hole 16 is longest hole on the property at 729'
-great variety of lines from majority of the tees
-island hole is a staple tho any hole could be(give me my discs back yo!!!!)
-perfect use of the landscape, dreamy holes you wish to see baskets on from the highway is a reality here
-holes to mention are #2, 9, 10, 15, 17- excellent elevation and many throws from the tees but beware of lost discs
-disccatchers are in good shape
-great seclusion from outside world, all disc, all glory
-short 45 min from tulsa, 2 hours from OKC(:()- doesnt matter cause youre talkin disc the whole way
-36 holes on the property
-they drag the lakes and offer a lost and found at the lodge, may have to come back to reap the benefits tho
Cons: -seasonal courses
-can be thick if you miss your line
-numerous tee signs were missing
-you will want to throw every disc you own on about every hole=lost plastic
-high potential of lost discs as water comes into play often
-people reliant on one throwing style WILL struggle
-weak of heart, stay home
Other Thoughts: i really wish the lodge was closer to home but what can you do? make a weekend of it. will be well worth your time as camping is welcomed and encouraged.
pawhuska is a state of mind i often fantasize about.
i didnt believe in 5 star courses til the lodge.
11 of 13 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 19 Not
Pros: Unbelievable course! Island hole and lots of cool elevation shots. Occasionally get to take the jeep or mule as golf cart which makes course super fun.
Cons: It's not close enough to the house.
Other Thoughts: This course is still pretty new. This course will be the greatest course in Oklahoma once the grass starts filling in. I can't wait to play the 2nd course out there Moccasin Creek
4 of 23 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.