Pawhuska, OK
The Lodge - Island Course Share
Looking back at 17

1    9/1/2013   1/1/2014
Review By: dontbl1nk
Pros: Beautiful course with any shot you could ask for. Water hazards, elevation, tight wooded lines, wide open bombers and even a hole on an island in the pond. There are several nice concrete tee pads for each hole for all skill levels. The Taylor family is extremely welcoming. You won't find a better course, or set of courses I should say, anywhere nearby. Plus it's free! (but leave a donation in the box for their hard work)
Cons: no public restroom (although I'm sure the Taylor's would let you use their bathroom) and the location.
Other Thoughts: If you are ever in the area STOP HERE!

Awesome. Worth The Trip

1    10/19/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: So much fun
Good concrete tees (on white and blue)
Good tee signs
Multiple tees.
Good for different skill levels
Great baskets
Plenty of parking
Not crowded
Great shot variety
Uses every shot in your bag
Some tight technical, some bombs
Love the rough country
Great views
Pretty well kept
We were there right after a rain. Ground was solid everywhere. No problems
Great workout. Loved the hike
Great use of water
Great elevation changes
Wonderful use of the trees and land/ rocks.
And to top it off: another awesome course on site.

Favorite Hole(s): #3, #6, #8, #15, #17
Every hole was fun in its own right. No repeats
Cons: Need directional signs
Tee signs should have layout
Rough walking between holes (not a big deal for me but you might take a RTV or ATV of some sort)
Could use concrete on the other tees
Just not very many cons
Other Thoughts: We loved this course. Well worth the trip (3.5h drive). This is a must play if you are anywhere near the area. They don't charge a set fee to play, but, any disc golfer should be willing to donate for the priviledge of playing these two courses. Call ahead and camp on site. You are guaranteed to have a blast if you stop in.
You would be well served to have a guide.

All in all this is one of the most fun courses I have ever seen. Would have been a 5 but, I have to reserve that for the "perfect" course with no cons.
If it was only based on fun I would give it a perfect score.

Stop in, you won't regret it. Stay all day for both courses. Or two days, or three...

Amazingly fun course!!!

1    10/19/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: TylerM
Pros: This course is my very favorite course, without question. The fun factor on this course is just unbelievable!

This course uses water hazards very well. Several holes play around or over water. Hole 17 obviously gets the most attention, but water comes into play on several holes. Hole 17 should get the most attention due to its absolute awesomeness.

A very good mix of length, elevation, and direction makes every hole an adventure. No boring holes here!

Joe the dog!!!! He retrieved several discs for us during the day.

The pads and baskets are in good condition.

Jim let our friend Kenny (our guide) use his Rhyno to save ourselves a lot of walking - the course is huge.

No one else was there, so we had the course to ourselves.

Also liked the practice basket and driving range.
Cons: No amenities.

Signs were inadequate. Only had distance from the pad.
Other Thoughts: A must play for anyone in the area. This course alone is great, but with two courses here it's a no-brainer.
Make sure you contact the Lodge because you will need a guide. Not a course for the weak or disabled. It takes stamina to complete this course!

If I was rating only my experience, it would be a 5+. Outstanding course!!!!!

Great Course

1    10/11/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: I played this course while in town and was able to compare it to some of the other Tulsa area courses. One of the things I loved about it was how well elevation was used throughout the 18 holes. Most of Tulsa is much more flat than this and that really sets it apart.
The teepads were excellent with plenty of length and concrete pads for two sets of tees. Some of the ponds were dried up with was a bummer, but there was still plenty of water on the course which added some nice risk/reward for shots. We actually played the white tee's which made for enough length without being brutal for an intermediate player. I still think there is enough challenge to be fun for an advanced player from the whites, but the blues take it to the next level. Tee shots were very thought out and there are some fantastic pin positions.
Navigation was quite easy as there were arrows pointing you wherever you needed to go and the course flow was very logical. I don't recall any spots where people were throwing into each other--the land is large and used well.
Jim is an awesome dude and it is obvious that he and his wife have put a ton of the passion, blood, sweat, and tears into this course which is an incredible blessing.
Cons: Much more than Moccasin Creek, The Island beats you up walking between and during holes. Even though it is the older course, there are plenty of areas that feel like they are "under development" with lots of jagged rocks and spots to roll your ankle, so wear good shoes.
Tee signs left quite a bit to be desired from an information standpoint.
It felt like the course heavily favored lefty's with lots of left to right tee shots, which got a bit old---and it felt like there was a 7 hole stretch where things were a bit redundant in the woods.
Other Thoughts: This course is fantastic and I couldn't be more thrilled to have played it. The island hole was a treat and I always have wanted to play a proper island hole. Lots to love here with just a few gripes, but a no-brainer to play if you are in the Tulsa area. Besides Blackhawk, there aren't any other courses in Tulsa near the caliber of the Lodge. Special thanks to Jim for how accomodating and friendly he was to us.

Awesome variety

1    4/15/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a great secluded property with lots of fun elevation. Many of the shots play with tricky uphills and fun downhills, with a few cool rollaway greens. Water is definitely in play, with a couple ponds adding some cool looking shots with risk/reward decisions required. The island shot is a very cool green, and with elevation and wind adding to the challenge there's high pucker factor if you go for the island off the tee.

Several of the holes play through tighter woods. There is enough brush off the fairways to punish errant shots, and the lines get pretty technical in spots. There is a good variety of left and right turning shots, and with a great mix of hole lengths you'll need every shot you have to score well.

The white and blue tees have good concrete pads. They offer two very different looks at most holes, with more pinch points, tougher lines and more distance from the longs. The whites often offer easier landing zones on the water shots. The tee signs that were there had hole length, and the ones that were missing were due to a recent storm so I'm sure they'll be replaced.
Cons: Navigation is tricky in a couple spots, though the painted basket spokes usually help quite a bit. The tee signs could use hole layout, there are some blind shots where knowing where to throw off the tee would be helpful. There are some areas with tall grass, especially on the more open holes, I'm not a huge fan of prairie grass as it adds frustration rather than disc golf challenge.
Other Thoughts: This course is a blast, and would be worth a stop on it's own, when you add in another phenomenal course on the same property it's worth going out of your way to play here. Beginners might find a fun set of shots from the red tees, though I didn't look at them closely. The whites and blues are pretty tough with some length and lots of tricky water hazards. Experienced players will find some great challenge and variety, the whites are enough to test intermediate to advanced players and the blues will test even the best players.

The Lodge = 2 for 2

1    11/29/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Another gem on this ranch. Definitely the more fun of the 2. I guess it's the more technical of the 2, but not frustratingly so. Lots of cool looking shots that are fun to throw. Again, I could go on forever about the while scene out there, but this course just adds to the list of reasons to take a trip here.
Cons: Not many. I had a bad round here, but I'm not blaming the course for that.
Other Thoughts: Dont let that island hole fool you, its short but the surrounding water is shoulder deep. Just call and camp here instead of looking for a hotel. Lots of fun.

The Lodge . . .I'm making another reservation!

1    1/7/2011   7/21/2011
Pros: 1) 3 sets of tees makes this course accessible by all and challenges everyone from any level of play.

2) Signs located in the parking lot to help direct you to each course . . . even though the only time you would be there is when the owners were around and able to help you out . . . still worth mentioning as a positive.

3) Driving range is available along the road . . . it may have been intended for golf but it works for disc golf too!!!

4) Practice basket is always a welcome site on a course.

5) Dual concrete tees on this course . . . plus turf tees for the shorter recreational red tees. This is about all you could ask for.

6) Elevation is used very well on this course . . . not massive peaks and valleys but good rolling elevation changes. There also are a couple mountainous like holes. Any given hole might range from 0-50' of elevation change, but the total course might reach up to 100-200' of elevation change which is pretty good . . . especially for Oklahoma.

7) Some garbage cans available on site to rid yourself of the waste you brought in . .. unfortunately I would much rather see pack in pack out but it just doesnt always happen.

8) You want to practice in the wind . . . well come here. I am sure all of Oklahoma has wind from time ot time . . . but I would surely like to come back there when there is no wind . . . just to se how I would do.One of our rounds it had to be blowing 35 MPH and the other calmed down to about 30 MPH sustained winds.

9) This course reminds of of Bracketts Bluff . . . Ocala Greenway . . . and a few others in terms of the uniqueness of some of the holes. So many courses have holes that could be found all over the country . . . not here these are all pretty unique. Those courses are no slouch to be compared with!!!

10) Incredible property with dropoffs . . . water, elevation, rolling terrain, prairie grasses . . .it has it all in my opinion.

11) Nice dog (JOE) . . . followed us for the first 8 or 9 holes . . . in fact he followed us until the hole where the owners found us . . .It was awesome to meet them and we enjoyed having the dog follow us around.

12) Awesome property owners . . . we spent a total of almost 2 hours with Jim including a brief time with his wife. Jim is such a nice cool guy, he would give you his shirt of his back if you lost yours on the course. His wife is really sweet too.

13) #3 is a classic golf design . . . the redan. . . hole where tees work there way from long to short and it changes the angle of the throw from each tee.

14) Bring all your shots and a multitude of discs so you have all your weapons. You will need everything.

15) Incredible variety in hole distance on the entire course and even on each hole depending on which tee you play. 80' all the way up to 790'.

16) #17 at TPC Sawgrass . . . I am sure this is what everyone thinks when they play this course . . .It's a great risk/reward hole.

17) Clubhouse for big tournaments is an asset and we hung out in Jim's office for quite a while just chatting away. I definitely could see myself coming out for a tournament and spending the entire weekend on the property.

18) Camping available and a cabin for rent . . . what's not to love!

19) Headstone looking tee signs with all the info Hole #, Par, Distance from all tees, but no map. Maps were available on some of the tees on a seperate sign.

20) #15 is a great risk/reward shot with water in play, the slope going down to the water with skips possible. You better execute a good shot here.

21) As beginner friendly as a course like this property can be . . .the shortened holes makes it playable by all, but it still will challenge the beginner.

22) Discatchers in good shape and were the right choice for this property so the yello wband can make them easier to find from some of those tees . . . they could easily get lost and blend in with the rocky outcropping and prairie type grasses.

18)
Cons: 1) Rocky soil in spots can lead to injured ankles if you aren't careful . . . nothing that can be done about this because I am sure the rocks just keep coming to the surface.

2) The course is still a little work in progress and I am sure keeping up with maintenance is tough . . . its a lot of land and it isnt always accessible by trucks and/or equipment.

3) Tough to navigate in a few places . . . more directionals would help in a couple places . . . or more obvious directionals as they may have been hidden in spots.
Other Thoughts: I just cannot find much fault with this course . . . it is rough but it is supposed to be that is the natural land. I would say their maintenance would be the toughest thing to handle and I played it in the off season so it wasn't bad at all, but when everything is growing I could only imagine.

I was so excited to play this course and I was so excited to meet the owner and play a round on the other course with him. He has a long history of the property which makes it all the more fun to play along with him.

I want to give this course a 5 because of just how awesome the disc golf is . . . but I cannot without mention of the maintenance issues on site. They do alot of work it is clear but I can only imagine what it is like when everything is growing. I know the course is a work in progress and if he ever is able to make some money I can imagine the details will be figured out. I dropped him $20 for my wife and I to play and he was thankful, but he also gave me a hat, beer coozy, a disc with his custom stamp on it.

I hope this course can survive and he can make some money on the property because it would be a shame to lose this gem in the middle of Central USA.

Good Times

1    6/7/2011   6/17/2011
Review By: utahjap
Pros: Wide variety of shots to test your skills. Nice terrain variation as well. Multiple tee locations for the faint of heart.
Cons: Some tees were hard to find, and the stated distance was often misleading. This made navigation much more difficult than the sister course.
Other Thoughts: Bring lots of water. I played this one second and was exhausted. It was very hot, though.

nicest courses in OK hands down.

5+    3/8/2011   4/20/2011
Review By: notBOB
Pros: These courses are gems. straight up. the lodge is always a fun time, campin out, throwin till you drop. i cant say enough good things.

-jim offers a truck-ride tour of the property prior to throwing, was very helpful
-contains elevation unlike any other OK courses with the exception of Duncan
-very demanding, championship caliber
-will make you dig DEEP into your bag for variety
-3 different tees per hole
-well balanced regarding lefts and rights
-good risk reward, a good throw MAY or MAY NOT get you a bird, but more important out here, get you feeling good about your game
-technical tho long
-hole 16 is longest hole on the property at 729'
-great variety of lines from majority of the tees
-island hole is a staple tho any hole could be(give me my discs back yo!!!!)
-perfect use of the landscape, dreamy holes you wish to see baskets on from the highway is a reality here
-holes to mention are #2, 9, 10, 15, 17- excellent elevation and many throws from the tees but beware of lost discs
-disccatchers are in good shape
-great seclusion from outside world, all disc, all glory
-short 45 min from tulsa, 2 hours from OKC(:()- doesnt matter cause youre talkin disc the whole way
-36 holes on the property
-they drag the lakes and offer a lost and found at the lodge, may have to come back to reap the benefits tho
Cons: -seasonal courses
-can be thick if you miss your line
-numerous tee signs were missing
-you will want to throw every disc you own on about every hole=lost plastic
-high potential of lost discs as water comes into play often
-people reliant on one throwing style WILL struggle
-weak of heart, stay home
Other Thoughts: i really wish the lodge was closer to home but what can you do? make a weekend of it. will be well worth your time as camping is welcomed and encouraged.

pawhuska is a state of mind i often fantasize about.

i didnt believe in 5 star courses til the lodge.

Not as sweet but still bad ars!

1    10/3/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: Another beauty on the same land. I dont know if I would have rated this a 4.5 if I played this one first but its still a GREAT course. Once again the elevation here is used just about every place it can be ranging from the fairways to the greens. There are the same shots here as the other course but this side didn't look as well taken care of as the other side. Both courses are very friendly to both lefty and righties. There are good discatchers here and concrete pads as well. The blue tee signs have a picture of the hole but the whites do not. The course is easy to follow as well except hole 7 which is to the left of hole 6 and before you go downhill to hole 8. And if you need help finding the tees look at the painted rungs on the basket and they will lead you to the tee that you are playing. There are some sweet "canyon" shots where you are throwing down cleared tunnels they used to set up telephone lines like hole 9. The island hole is worth every penny. The first thing I thought when I walked up was hole 17 at TPC Sawgrass and after reading the reviews I see I'm not the only one that thought this. Hole 18 is a sweety as mentioned before as well. The 3 sets of tees change it up and playing them all, you can make a day out here.
Cons: The grass was tall in areas. The pond on 17 is nasty and any disc in there is gone. (I have 3 in there because I can honestly say I was scared for a second) Neverr saw the red tees but they say their out there, but I think they would be too short anyways.
Other Thoughts: Man what a great mix of 2 courses. Highly recommended to anyone that lives close or just wants to make a road trip. I went up here on a wim and man was it worth it. Say hey to Jim and thank him for everything. These are 2 of the greatest courses Oklahoma has to offer, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. You can camp here and make a whole weekend out of it.