17 Helpful / 0 Not
North-central Oklahoma gem
Pros: - Three sets of tee pads that offer wildly varying degrees of difficulty. Lots of times you'll see a second set of tees that were added as an afterthought; that's not the case here.
- Unique custom tee signs. Signs at both white and blue tees.
- Excellent use of elevation changes while at the same time not offering long hikes between holes. Well laid out in this regard.
- It's hard to put your finger on any one thing, but the piece of land offers a lot of natural beauty. You'll see plenty of wild flowers, rock formations, and lizards sunning themselves.
- Good variety of first shots from the tee. There are a couple of wide open prairie holes, a few intimidating water shots, and a some trees to maneuver around.
- If you're not going to have a map, painting a rung on the basket signifying the next tee is always a good replacement. The Lodge actually takes this one step farther and has a different color of paint on three rungs corresponding to where that color of teepad is. Nice touch.
- Although the course is situated next to highway 99, you'll think you're severely isolated for the vast majority of your round. It was almost a shock to see the highway again near the end of the round. This is as far from a city park course as you're going to find.
- Camping on grounds. Someone had a tent pitched near hole 11 and 12. There was also a camper parked near the entrance.
- I imagine it gets mighty hot here later on in the summer, however there is a fair amount of shade on the course and plenty of flat rocks to relax on.
Cons: - A couple of the teepads could have been better thoughtout. The white teepads on 15 and 17 end with steep dropoffs. The red teepad on 15 appeared to be closed due to erosion underneath the tee (it had a pallet with a red X over the top of it when I played). If you take a second to think about the fall you'll take if your X-Step overshoots the teepad on these holes your shot will be altered. This is a big deal when it means throwing your $15 driver in the drink. If you aren't a pro, you might want to consider teeing off on level ground instead of using the teepad in these cases.
- No water source or restroom that I could find. Make use of the gas station about 5 miles north of the course before playing. I'm betting that the Pro Shop/Lodge that's referenced on their webpage would have taken care of this negative, but it didn't appear to be open when we played on a Sunday morning. I can only judge the course as I found it, so the fact that there were no amenities cost the course a half disc in my rating.
Other Thoughts: - As a RHBH, hole 15 scared the crap out of me. There's a fairway, but if you're even a little off to the left you'll go in the water.
- Hole 17 reminds me a lot of hole 17 at TPC. You ball golfers will know what I'm talking about. It's the kind of hole that won't make your round, but if you go in the water it'll definitely ruin your round. I made the mistake of overshooting it... remember that even from the long tee it's only 185 feet away. A straight throw with your trusty midrange should get on the green easily.
- Hole 18 might have been my favorite on the course. You're throwing over water, but it doesn't really come into play unless you shank your drive. It was a great feeling to make that final walk up the hill and come out near the parking lot after rattling the chains.
- This is a great course, and with another 18 holes on the same site there's no reason not to make the trip here if you live in the midwest. I know that my wife and I will be back at some point to play the other course.
17 of 17 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 19 Not
Pros: Unbelievable course! Island hole and lots of cool elevation shots. Occasionally get to take the jeep or mule as golf cart which makes course super fun.
Cons: It's not close enough to the house.
Other Thoughts: This course is still pretty new. This course will be the greatest course in Oklahoma once the grass starts filling in. I can't wait to play the 2nd course out there Moccasin Creek
4 of 23 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.