Phoenix, AZ
Conocido Park Share
Uploaded By: eye-ball-sac Hole #4 (Taken 12/2010)

Ice Up Your Arm But Course Is Short On Challenge!

1    3/15/2015   3/15/2015
Pros: Conocido Park is a fairly large, flat, nicely green (at least it's green here in mid-March) city park. There are some scattered mature trees but they provide little in the way of obstacles. The course starts and finishes right at the parking lot. I wouldn't call this park lovely and pristine but then there aren't any signs of vandalism or grafitti. The DGA baskets are fine. Same thing with the signs. There are sometimes four basket positions, A-B-C and D, but no way to really tell which position the basket is currently in. As my partner and I were both playing the course for the first time, we were both often times not sure of which of the many baskets off in the distance we should be throwing at.

Those of you with big arms will like the ops to show off your big guns here as there are plenty of wide open holes of 450-550 feet with little standing in your way.

I was actually get more than a little bored with open 450 foot holes across open lawns when I arrived at # 18. What a revelation for this course! A hole that actually forces you to think about your shot shaping. With 2-3 large trees directly in front of you, anyone with an average type arm (300 foot drive) has to consider an alternative drive on 18. Perhaps a roller! Perhaps an annie! My brain had turned to mush on the first 17 holes!
Cons: The lack of obstacles/imagination/creativity really holds this course back. Too many holes are too similar, that is long, flat with almost nothing think about but grip it and rip it.
The lack of a system to identify which basket position the basket is currently in is a personal peeve of mine. On this course, this could easily be fixed by simply drilling holes on the signs through the A-B-C-D basket letters. Then if the basket is currently in the A position, insert a short screw through the sign with a colored washer on the front of the sign indicating which position the basket is in. The mid-night teenage thugs could only vandalize these if they're carrying a wrench and screwdriver and if they do, simply buy another screw and washer.

My local first time playing partner, Aric, was quite put off by different groups playing to same basket from different directions and also by the crossing fairways. This really didn't bother me a bit as this course is so wide open, you can easily see and avoid anyone or any situation well ahead of time.
Other Thoughts: It's nice to find another green park in the Phoenix area to play. I was more than a little disappointed with the lack of creativity with the design. I realize there is no water, no elevation and not much in the way of trees/bushes. I just wish I could add another 100 feet on my drives when playing here. It might make the experience more rewarding.

Ok course

1    10/21/2008   1/4/2009
Review By: ragajones
Pros: Good place to socialize if you want to meet other disc golfers. I was there on a weekend morning and I could count over 20 golfers around me.
Cons: I had a tough time here. Maybe it was the layout of the course but we threw right through other groups on multiple occasions and had discs flying by as well throughout the morning. I think it might have been better if we would have joined up with a course local for a walkthrough.
Maybe we were doing it wrong but there seemed like an awful lot of criss-crossing traffic. It seems like this would have been better as a 9 hole course.
Other Thoughts: The only Phoenix course that I have abandoned before playing all 18. Our entire group just got frustrated and we left to go play another course. In fairness, it seemed extremely popular and well-maintained. If I am gonna be in North Phoenix, I would always choose Buffalo to Conocido. I tend to have a harder time enjoying myself on a course that plays forward and backward. It is a really weird feeling to be approaching a basket only to see another group of golfers approaching the same basket from another angle or throwing past you in a way that could be dangerous.

good warm up course

3/27/2006   5/23/2008
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Designed as good as possible given the options
Very quick round potential (especially on weekday afternoons)
Cons: Unfortunately, the terrain is so limited in the parks in the Phx area...makes some courses like this a little redundant.
I know the folks who designed it have no control of the topography, so it's not a knock on them
Other Thoughts: This course is better than some city park courses I've played...but the bottom line is playing a flat, open course is better than not playing disc golf!