Mount Vernon, WA
Bakerview Park Share

I guess if I lived here...

1    9/23/2013   9/27/2013
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Bakerview Park is set up in a nice city park in beautiful Mount Vernon, Washington. Granted, everywhere in Washington is beautiful, but all the same… Mount Vernon is pretty too. The Bakerview Disc Golf Course covers an area of the park that doesn't seem to be used much, but I could see it being prime picnic territory on a nicer day. I played there on a rainy day, so the entire park was empty other than one Comcast employee who pulled up to use the public restrooms. So there's a pro for you: Public restrooms. The rest of the park looked useable as well, with baseball diamonds and a dog park available for use, but I didn't pay much attention to those.
The design of the course isn't exactly awful. The first hole (once you find it) is a decent 300' shot through some saplings running along the backside of the baseball diamonds. The second hole is similar, but runs in the opposite direction. Then the designer got lazy or bored or something, and it shows. By the time you finish the next several holes, you feel lazy and bored too. Hole 5 might be my favorite disc golf hole of all time. Period. Unfortunately for Bakerview though, this is because I'm ornery and the comedic value of this hole is through the roof. An 87' downhill shot? I should have driven a mini. In fact, I would have if I had brought anything with me other than my putter.
While many call the pole holes a con, I rather enjoy them. It isn't often that you get to play a pole course in this day and age, and it's good for nostalgic value at the very least. Plus it makes chains sound that much sweeter the next time that you hear them.
Cons: The design, while not exactly awful, is still pretty stupid. If you want to introduce new players and families to the game, don't open the course with two decent length holes before throwing in the putter ace runs that are 3-8.
No teepads. In fact, the tee markers are the poles that you just threw at. While this course will never see heavy traffic, I could see that being annoying. Not only would you have to wait on the group in front of you to hole out, but you'd also have to wait for them to tee off. Then, since the course is so short, you'd probably have to wait for them to finish the next two holes before throwing yourself. I'm yawning just thinking about it.
Another reviewer states that the longest hole is 120'. Don't believe them. I did and brought my putter only. I don't do putter rounds often. I managed to score course par with a pretty pathetic showing of putter driving, but with a mid or even a fairway I would have destroyed this course. What the other reviewer meant to say was 120 YARDS. Which is apparently how you measure disc golf distances in Mount Vernon. Good to know…
Hole 5. Yep. Definitely my favorite hole in existence because I was laughing too hard to throw straight. But because it was so asinine, I have to call it a con too. The target doesn't HAVE to be next to a tree. The tree can be used as an obstacle, and the hole can be made a lot longer and a lot more interesting. This goes for almost every hole on the course actually. There's just no imagination here.
Other Thoughts: There's plenty of space in this field for interesting shots. I'm sure that if I were a local I'd play safari golf here on a daily basis. As I'm not a local, I won't be coming back here any time soon. It was still a fun little nine hole, but nothing to write home about.

Something Other than a Post

1    8/19/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: richey.kyle.i
Pros: Perfect for teaching little kids how to play disc golf.
One of the holes is actually pretty tactical.
Cons: The longest hole is 120 feet.
You are throwing at posts and not baskets.
There is no direction to find the first post
No T-Pads
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to practice putting. Also fun to play as fast as you can with your friends to see who can finish all 9 the fastest.

Ehhhh...

5+    1/3/2012   1/3/2012
Review By: northwestblazinfire
Pros: Great to introduce a player to the game
Big fields to toss in
Cons: Short
Muddy
Weak pins, chains are really the only way for me.
No real genuine disc golf experiance to be had here . You could easily put up sticks at a park and make a better course.
Other Thoughts: A baby course with no real authentic experaince to be had....wish it wernt so!

Ok if you live REALLY close.

2-4    10/19/2010   6/19/2011
Review By: Dadio
Pros: Nice Park, well maintained. Course easy to follow. Designers make ok use terrain and trees.
Cons: Very short, no tees or baskets. Wet grass sux to tee off from.
Other Thoughts: My Mom lives in Skagit Valley, and I will go practice in a field and pick random trees to throw at rather than drive here. Good example of what you can do with limited money and space @ a local park but if I'm going to drive I'll go to Sedro Woolley.

Small simple Course

1    6/8/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: Ewb46
Pros: Clean with no litter.
little to no obstacles
No chance at loosing a disc.
Cons: Very short course. No baskets
Several holes that were less then 50'
Did I mention you are throwing at posts rather then baskets.
Other Thoughts: Although this course is short it is nice to have to work on some fundamentals, and would be a good course to take a newbie or younger kids to learn how to throw the disc. I was working a job in Mt Vernon so I was in the town to play. Although I would not suggest going out of your way to play this course.