Fayetteville, GA
McCurry Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #9 (Taken 10/2010)

Really Fun

1    3/22/2014   3/23/2014
Review By: DiscGolfMaster
Pros: Nice elevation changes. great mix of open and wooded holes. The wooded holes were very fun to play because the woods were primarily large pines. Most courses I play there is a lot of shrubbery in the woods, so not dealing with that was fun.

Several nice long holes. I'm not the best driver out there, but I am getting close to the 400 mark on flat land, so it was great being able to actually really launch some drives. One hole was 720 ft, you can barely see the basket, it was awesome.

Lots of opportunity for shaping your shots, I used all my discs, incredibly fun.
Cons: Got lost a lot. It's hard to figure out what hole is next sometimes. and some of the baskets aren't labeled correctly, even some of the tee off signs have the wrong number on them. There are no next tee signs, and this course needs them desperately on several holes.

We couldn't find 12 after playing 11 and just skipped to 14 since it was close by. Then later we found 12 and 13 when we were on our way to 17. Evidently, after 11, you have to walk waaaay down through several holes to get to 12 and 13, and there was no way to know this. No path or signage.

Lot of pedestrians there on Saturday. Some kids picked up my disc at one point and started throwing it around. A fellow golfer was kind enough to tell them not to for me, since I was several hundred feet away unable to do anything.about it myself.
Other Thoughts: If this was my local course, I would know it well and would not need signs, and I would rate it a 4 disc. But I live 3 hours away and was slightly disappointed that it was not in better shape when I arrived.

Number the baskets correctly, and put in some next tee signs and this course would be great. Like I said, it was extremely fun, and I really want to go back today since we are still in the area, but probably won't be able to.

McCurry park

5+    5/2/2010   5/3/2010
Review By: dandaman
This review was updated on 4/7/2011
Pros: The course is in a beautifuly maintained park. The grass is always short and there are plenty of spots just to rest. Amenities such as batrooms and water fountains are also great as well.

The teepads, teesigns, and baskets are all in good shape.

Much of the course plays under huge pines which make getting shade easy to get in the summertime.
Cons: The park itself (at peak times) can be very busy with other activities. As a result certain holes can be difficult to play because of heavy non disc golfer traffic.

On some holes it can take awhile to throw safely.
Other Thoughts: The course is best played during off peak hours. There a lots of people to thank for this course and to each one of them i say thank you.

1    5/27/2009   5/30/2009
Review By: Eggroller99
Pros: Overall, this is a good course that is very well maintained and is very challenging. The holes are interesting and long. If it didn't have the visitors and directional signs were posted, I would rate this a 4.0-4.5
Cons: Hole 1 fairway is about 15 ft wide. Although tough, a skilled drive can lead to a birdie however. Not too bad.

Hole 2 on the other hand is not well laid out. Skill can get you through the first 100-150ft on a drive, but after that it is pure luck getting through the random trees. Really long hole for not having a fairway.

The biggest problem is the layout. I went with a map and still had a very hard time finding the next teebox.

Another huge problem was the park visitors. Certain holes required me to play it safe as there were too many kids on the playgrounds to take a chance.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend it to people only if it does not take you too far out of your way. I went on a weekday at around 3:00 and it was crowded, so I don't know when the best time to go would be. If coming from hwy 54, take the second park entrance on the left.

Long... and pretty good.

2-4    8/10/2008   8/10/2008
Review By: johnt1969
This review was updated on 8/18/2008
Pros: This course is very long so you can work on your distance shots here. There are a lot of open holes and holes where you just throw as far as you can and there's not really much consequence where the drive lands. This course plays hard when there's wind as well. You can definitely work on controlling your shots in the wind. It seemed like there was a headwind on every hole. There's some nice elevation change in this park. It's not extreme elevation change but there are rolling hills. The new tee signs are very nice and it has nice new baskets.
Cons: A couple of the in the holes in the woods have no fairway. You just throw and play pinball. The course does not have tee pads and the dirt tees have roots in them in cases. This is too be expected with dirt tees but it would be really nice to have poured concrete tee pads here.

This course does not flow simply in some cases. We were searching around for holes every now and then because we didn't bring a map. The course is in a multi use park. There are picnicers, walkers and kids playing all over the place. One of the times I played the course we had to skip a hole because there was a kids cheerleading practice on it. We would have been throwing right in to a bunch of people if we had chose to play the hole. Be very careful for people on the walking paths as well.

The course could benifit from multiple tee pads. It is definitely not an easy play for a beginner. They won't lose a disc but the holes are all so long that they will be throwing a ton of shots from the current tees.
Other Thoughts: A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. I'm just trying to evaluate the course on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. Disc golf has become a large enough sport that I feel we should strive for better than we have now. Just putting 18 holes in a park isn't enough. 18 pole holes does not make a disc golf course. It requires tee's, signs, maps, solid course design and constant maintenance. Any less than that and we will never advance the sport to a reputable level.

Long course with promising potential

12/31/2007   6/1/2008
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 6/4/2008
Pros: NOTE: I played the course in Dec 07, so the course was still quite new. There have already been a few changes, and more improvements will be coming.
At 7079 ft, it's a long course. IMO there are 4 Blue CR Par 4 holes: 4, 5, 7, 11, making it a par 58. If you're a long thrower or looking for a long course then this is a good place to go.
Excellent length variety: 5 of 249-299/ 5 of 300-399/ 5 of 400-499/ 2 of 538-551/ 1 of 666
Some elevation change on most holes, but most change is moderate. The greatest is a 24 ft drop. 2 Flat/ 9 Up/ 7 Down.
Good variety of wooded, open, and mixed foliage holes: 10 Woods/ 4 Grass/ 4 Mixed
Cons: When I played the course the tees were dirt and there were no tee signs, only white poles.
Eventually it would be nice to have a map of the course. Tees 4, 14, 17 were hard to find, and baskets 2, 8 were hard to see from the tee.
Other Thoughts: Course Level = Advanced (Blue)
My favorite hole was number 13. It's a flat, straight, very pretty tree lined fairway that's reachable. Overall, I rated hole 18 as the best on the course, though (7 out of 10).
In general, I thought the back nine was a little better than the front nine.
Since this course is new it's still being worked on and broken in. I rated it according to the conditions when I played it instead of according to it's future potential. Since the tees and signs were below average, I expect that the rating will improve when these are worked on.

NOTE: Look in the "Links/Files" section for my detailed rating notes.
You can also read more of my reviews at http://sports.groups.yahoo.co...ourseReviews/