Hardeeville, SC
Hole #18 Blue Tee

I Long Delayed it, then Enjoyed it

1    12/21/2013   12/23/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Despite the lack of courses in the area, I'd always avoided coming here. Most of what was in the reviews and just in the general description kept me away. I always said that I would wait till winter. I wanted to play it at its driest, and I wanted to the chance for animal encounters to be as small as possible. And maybe I was right to do so. Maybe it will be a worse experience in the summer. I'll give it another shot in the spring to test. But the course that I experienced this winter was a really fun play.

There's a ton of water. In these conditions it's mostly in well-marked OB areas. There are some swampy areas but they only trouble the truly errant shot. And any hole here that is exciting, it's because of the water. Was probably my favorite hole on the course, across at least 200 feet of water with the basket placed so a shot over the water can swoop in from the right. There's another cool carry later on, The length is about the same but this time it's a straight shot with only a small gap in the shoreline trees on the other side to aim through, with branches ready to know misplaced throws into the water. On the other holes, the water is more a menace than obstacle, with one or both sides boasting a strictly-enforced fairway.

Since some of the previous reviews, tee pads and signs have been put in. With one big exception navigation was a breeze here and the course flows well. The rubber tee pads on most of the blue tees work well enough. In retrospect, I probably needlessly delayed my trip here and will make at least a few returns.
Cons:
Water to the left, water to the right, nice. Water between the tee and the pin, better. Water in the middle of the fairway, bad. They've done a really nice job building walkways for when the course is flooded. But if the fairways on the first few holes are flooded to the point where I would need those, I'd get back in my car and go to Tom Triplett. Casual water where it isn't supposed to be is one of my least favorite things. Water on a disc golf course is supposed to be about elation for a shot gone right, with an element of risk. Well there is nothing exhilarating about finding your disc in unmarked, ankle-deep water after hitting your target zone. And there isn't really any risk, when you'll be trudging through muck no matter where you throw. When I played, this wasn't a problem. It was November. But I could see where the water would go when it was high. I could see what would easily turn into swamp. And that limits the course for me, seasonally.

I feel like the white tees avoid most of the standing water and make the course playable during bad conditions but most of them are really short. Too short for it to be worth it go there and play them.

When the water is in the proper place, there are still a lot of holes that just aren't that interesting. There are a lot of straight shots down fairways that aren't narrow enough to be considered tight, but aren't wide enough (and don't have the distance) to air out drives. There are also a ton of trees in the middle of fairways. Just a ton of mid-range shots played safely between marsh areas. Not that that type of shots are bad. There is just a bit too much of that.

That said, it could easily earn another half point by clearing up the 18 mess. The last hole is on the other side of the road, and it brings you really far from the entrance. If I played again, I would just play 17 and call it a day. It's not the great of a hole, it's just long and straight and the fairway is wide enough to keep it from being of any interest. At the end, you need to backtrack to a small bridge and then turn left to get to a small path that leads a long way back to the start. But there is no sign that indicates you need to to do that. The intuitive path to take is the one that leads back past the basket. This way will lead back to the start too but it will be a very long path around the pond.

The obvious solution to this would be adding holes 19 and 20. The path that you walk along is already as good of a fairway as many here. Playing that as 19, with water to the right would alleviate some of the walk. And 20 could be sweet. The blue tee would feature the longest carry of the course, across a corner of that pond, although the walk from the tee to the landing zone would be annoyingly long. It looks like someone is in the process of happening as there is a basket in place where 20 would logically go. Without the logical 19 in place though, it just means a long walk between 18 and 19.

Worth the stop

1    8/13/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: nc-hyzer1
Pros: This course was easily navigable once I found hole one, you need to cross the street from the park entrance, after that it was very easy to find your way. Course was very clean and well maintained. GPS took me right to park. Few great ace looks from the blue tees. Errant shots are not rewarded, but you can recover from them. Staff at the office was friendly and helpful. Course plays with many scenic views over all. Map in office. Holes had very descent spacing between pads. I played the blue; there were also yellow and white pads for different skill levels. The yellow pads look like a few needed trimming. Straight shots are the normal here
Cons: This course is definitely one where it depends on when you come; if there is a lot of rain looks like you can deal with a lot of water on the course. They did do a great job of adding some small walking bridges to avoid this; however there still was a lot of area especially on the first few holes that still were holding water (were these OB or not). Some holes had yellow rope behind holes, I guess this was out of bounds did not notice marked on the sign. There was little technical ability needed other than being able to throw the distance and straight. I did not see any snakes even though the area looked like I should have seen them. Bring a bug spray with high deed count; you may lose a pint of blood if you do not. Hole 18 is far from the parking lot, the lady inside said if I walked towards the road I could have played a 19th hole on the way back, this was not on my map.
Other Thoughts: Being my first time here, I found the course very fun to play. There are a few things I did not see on the course information tab. At the office I had to fill out a play pass and put in the drop box. The park closes at 6, so if you are playing past 6 it says to park outside the gate. There is room to do this around hole 1. Information says they raffle of a disc every month, maybe for locals only. They sell discs limited selection, they have Sarge printed mini's and regular discs. Regular were sold out if you collect.

GATORS nom nom nom

1    3/28/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: Drewpy
Pros: Nice combination of short/long holes. Very challenging shots over/around water. Nice scenery. Best course in the area. Nice map. Nice staff.
Cons: SO MUCH WATER... no real imagination involved, everything is just a straight shot with the exception of like 2 holes.
Other Thoughts: Only course worth going to in the area. We stayed on HHI and there was only one poor course on the island. It was bad.

A hidden gem

1    7/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: Steelo
This review was updated on 8/26/2012
Pros: Great scenery, well marked pads, tee signs. Cool shots!
Course was in pretty good shape too
Cons: I felt uneasy after reading a couple of prior reviews regarding the wildlife. I didnt see anything dangerous but I did hear some large creatures moving around near the water.

Not enough people playing the course (from what I saw)
Other Thoughts: It is easy to access and it feels like you are miles from civilization, except for the loud highway traffic

Great course

1    5/21/2011   10/25/2011
Review By: Will_S
Pros: Challenging course with lots of trees and narrow fairways. Half of the holes border a beautiful crystal clear lake.
Cons: Depending on the tee you're throwing from some of the holes tend to play pretty short, but that doesn't necessarily mean easy. The tee pads usually aren't anything more than a couple of stakes in the ground and can be hard to spot sometimes. Finding the first tee box is kinda trickey too.
Other Thoughts: Great course to play, but isn't as good as Tom Triplett over in Pooler.

Love/Hate

5+    8/19/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: 33tango
Pros: Scenic beauty
Lots of water(see below)
Nice facilities
Challenging
Cons: Huge Radar Guided Heat-Seeking Mosquitoes
Lots of water (see above)
Tee pads are just staked out earth
Course flow from 18 to parking or back to 1 is poor.
Other Thoughts: I think this course is a little beyond my level of expertise. I have lost more discs here than anywhere else, but it's because I don't play conservatively enough around water.

Water crossing mandatory on only 2 holes, 1 and 12(and then only from blue/gold tees), but several holes bordered by water.

I play the other course nearby(TTP) and lose maybe a disc every couple months. I rarely leave The Sarge with as many as I showed up with. Not the course's fault though!