Hardeeville, SC
The Sarge Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #5 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #5 Tee Area: Benches and signs with the bag hooks available

The Sarge: Beware of Gators

1    8/2/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: Billy K2
Pros: The Sarge was a very scenic, fun course that will challenge even the best of players. The locals were very friendly and helpful. The course was pretty crowded, which I like to see. There were restrooms throughout the course. The baskets and tees were in very good shape, and the course was free of any trash. The navigation and signs were great, and I was able to navigate the course with ease. There are multiple tees. I love hole 12 because it is a tough shot over water to the basket.
Cons: The course was very muddy. When I played, it rained the day before. I got freaked out a little when I saw a alligator swimming close to shore, but I didn't encounter a gator on land. I'm not a fan of the mixed match tees(Carpet and natural), but I can deal with it.
Other Thoughts: I went to The Sarge while I was on vacation this year, and it was a fun experience. If you are vacationing in the area, I would recommend you play The Sarge before you leave.

My Home Course

5+    6/10/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 9/7/2014
Pros: Tight technical course that will test your skills. Baskets are in great condition - tee boxes are dirt, but are level ... they have improved the drainage issues. This is a Lowcountry course. Yes, there are snakes and alligators; no, they do not pose a great risk - don't believe the hype :) - Multiple tee boxes for different skill levels. Easy to navigate. In a lot of ways this is a better course then Tom Triplett DGC, I think the rating differences are mainly driven by the fact that it is much more challenging.
Cons: There are very few opportunities to rip it wildly - which can be fun. You may loose a disc or two if you make errant throws. Long walk back from 18.
Other Thoughts: Great course - awesome to have this as my home course!

White Tees very short - great for beginners and family games.

Club locals play blue tees mostly

Golds are for expert players only!

Hole by hole tips (from blue)
1) Most club players play right to left over the water (birdie opp)- plays appx 65-70 yds. Easy par down left fairway over land. Great risk reward hole.
2) Straight shot, pin tucked left. Opening to pin seems to play a little shorter then it looks.
3) Low flick carry 70-80 yards then left to right
4) Left side more forgiving then right
5) Fast green - plays short. There is another row of trees to the left - kind of hidden
6) From the tee - the left is more forgiving then the right. There are two alley-ways for the second shot. On this site it is listed as a par 5 from the blue - It is a par 4. (15 is listed as a par 3, but is a par 4 so all 18 still the same to par.)
7) Plays short -low to medium flick with strong fade is the shot - birdie hole.
8) A little longer then the sign indicates. Narrow opening for birdie straight ahead. Left alley usually results in easy par.
9) Water immediately behind basket. Short right is a tough spot. Closer to the hole left is tougher then right. Keep it low off the tee.
10) Seems to me to play shorter then sign. Bailing left usually works for an easy par.
11) Fairway bends left then gently right. Again - bailing left is better then right but tougher and more wooded then #10.
12) Wind almost always from right to left over the water - wind blows a little more strongly over the water.
13) Left is a problem the entire length of the hole - aim pin high right - very slow green surrounded by water on 3 sides.
14) Pin is about 100' behind the pole and 30' to the right. Water right of green. Green is hard to get at - long left is an easy par - kind of behind the pole. Long far left is more woods. Some aggressive players go over the top with thumb or hammer.
15) Tournament play this is a par 4 - the sign/card says 3. OB all the way on the right - left not much better. Conservative play and usually easy par if you lay up short of where it narrows then two short shots to park it. Pin is elevated and tucked right.
16) Everything right is wet and you won't find the disc in the dark water. Fast green too. Par is most easily gotten by staying left and playing right to left shots.
17) One of the wider fairways - let er rip - left to right shape will get you a nice 350' birdie.
18) Wider then it looks - left to right shots seems make the most sense with water all the way on the left. One of the few places you can play a higher ceiling shot.
There is a 19th hole if you start back towards the tee and take right over the bridge. This course would be rated 4 to 4.25 if the 18th brought you back to your car - the walk is 1/4 to 1/2 a mile.

Woodsy/Isolated, Great Disc Golf

1    2/28/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros:
-Multiple tees (White, Blue, and Gold). All are visible and easy to find. You can customize your DG experience.
-Long holes are interspersed with tight/technical holes providing variety so it doesn't feel like long throw after long throw.
-The Sarge is conveniently located right off the interstate.
-Hole 1 is easy to find and the course flows well. At no point was I wandering to find the next tee.
-Lots of water hazards really challenge you and force you to play smart.
-One of the biggest positives of this course is that it is designated Disc Golf only and you don't have to contend with dog walkers, playgrounds, picnics, etc.
-Mixed tees (Mats, natural, etc.), but none were hazardous.
-Great course for tournament play. Holes are spaced well.
-The course does not seem to be too crowded as there were only two other groups on a warm, Saturday afternoon.
-This course has that isolated ambience where it is just you and nature.
Cons:
-Long walk back from hole 18
-Extremely marshy/muddy on many holes.
-The rough is punishing at times, but not so much that you lose a disc. However, it is VERY easy to lose one in the water in several places.
-Major risk of animal encounters here
This is a really good/challenging course with lots of water and risk/reward shots (Hole 1 being a true risk/reward shot). You have to be able to execute many types of shots in order to score well at The Sarge. I would be overjoyed if this were my home course.

Slippery when wet

5+    7/26/2012   8/26/2012
Review By: Chuck6995
Pros: This is a fun disc golf course where being a straight thrower is a premium, like many other people before me who have played here you must watch your step at all times, yes there are snakes and gators present but the challenging fairways are really fun.
Cons: being a course in the low country brings a problem here, it is flat and rain water (floods) this piece of land, along with that comes the skeeters so bring bug spray and goretex shoes, other than that no cons here
Other Thoughts: i enjoy this course alot wish i was closer to here so i could play here more often, did i mention bring DEET.....

Watch the ground near the water

5+    7/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: kalpic30
Pros: I love this course and play it every time i'm over this way!
Cons: Grass needs more frequent maintaining (esp. on Hole 15). High grass invites un-welcomed reptiles...
Other Thoughts: Just wanted to give all readers a little piece of advice...Please pay close attention to the ground while retrieving your disc near ANY water on this course. In my past two visits, I have seen both a water moccasin and an alligator while picking up my disc. In all honesty, I didn't notice the water moccasin until I saw its back end slithering into the water; so I could have easily been a victim. The Sarge is a wonderful course and very fun to play. Do NOT let these words of advice scare you away from this course! I know that I'll be going back...probably tomorrow!

Very Challenging and Unique Course

1    11/6/2011   11/9/2011
Review By: Thundering Elephants
Pros: This course is one of the most scenic courses I have played. It was fairly easy to find using the GPS coordinates and directions off the DGCR page. There was plenty of parking and great restroom facilities with some vending machines. There was also a playground if anyone were to bring kids along. Practice basket by the main facility as well. The park attendant was very helpful and informative. I found the course to be well maintained. The baskets were in good shape. I'd say about half the blue tees were natural and half were a carpet type material that was smooth, large enough, and provided good traction. I played the blue tees, which were challenging enough for me. They had shorter white tees, which were pretty short, and longer gold tees on most holes, which appeared to add a good degree of difficulty. All the white and gold tees appeared to be natural. Signage was very helpful on holes that still had the signs as there were a lot of holes where the basket was not visible, and with so much water around, you really want to know where you are throwing. There was a nice variety of shots. 2 holes were over water, and most of the rest had water to at least one side of your throw. Not much elevation. About the only elevation is a raised basket, maybe 5 feet high. Another hole throws over a slight crest that prohibits seeing the basket. There was no undergrowth when I played. The course was not crowded (Sunday about 11 AM).

Cons: One of the things that makes this course unique are the gators. We saw one while we were playing. Another HUGE con for me personally is snakes. I hate snakes. Luckily I did not see any, but I don't see how that could be the norm. It's in a swamp with pine trees and pine needles covering everything. I was so afraid that while I was focused on finding my disc, I'd step on a rattler or moccasin. I don't see how you could play in the middle of summer and not see a snake. There was a lot of walking. The first tee is maybe a mile from the parking lot and the last hole is probably a mile from the parking lot. I personally don't mind walking, but it adds time to your round for sure. About half of the holes had sign posts but were missing the signs. If your disc goes in the water, it's probably gone. You are pretty brave if you go in after them. There are also signs posted saying if you swim, you are trespassing. The activity center was packed with people for some sort of group gathering.
Other Thoughts: I value unique courses, and this one certainly fits that description with water coming into play on a majority of holes. I am thankful I played this course in November and thankful it hadn't rained in a while. This course is in a swamp, but due to my lucky timing, it was fairly dry and there were no bugs to deal with. I didn't have much trouble finding the holes. The flow seemed fairly intuitive. The maps that were supplied were helpful the few times I had a question. I found the course very difficult. Anything less than precise throws were generally punished severely. A couple holes didn't seem to have a clear throwing path and it just took luck to get through. You have to sign in at the activity center and supply emergency contact info. I don't know if this is in case you get into it with a gator or snake, but this is the only place I can think of where I have had to do that. Overall, I had a blast playing this course and highly recommend.

Great mix of woods and water

5+    6/6/2009   2/6/2011
Review By: filobedo
This review was updated on 6/1/2013
Pros: Fantastic mix of par 3s, 4s and a 5 with 3 sets of tees on most holes. The local club does a great job on the course and with their sanctioned tournaments and the front reminds me of some of the shorter wooded Charlotte courses and easy to get to from I-95. The signage is great. Favorite holes include,
#1 - From middle tees is a great start hole with a hyzer for rhbh over water only about 240"
#3 - Challenging and short for a possible 2
#4 - Great anhyzer short for rhbh for a possible 2 if you do not get behind a
#5 - Challenging tight and long hole.
#8 - Favorite hole on the front with a little uphill fairway for the lowcountry and the basket sits next to the pond.
#12 - Fun short hole over the water for ace run
#14 - Great blindshot hole over a crest with the hole guarded by trees to the right.
#15 Long tight hole you must play smart and stay in the fairway. Hole is elevated on a mound and a 4 is very good, 3 is great.
Cons: #6 - Very unusual short hole with many obtacles including when you get to the basket. This hole could use some chainsaws for improvement or back the tee up to make it a short par 4.
Other Thoughts: Bring bugspray in the spring and summer and watch for alligators around water. There used to be a small gator that hung out in the small pond to the left on #13 and I am sure the mother is nearby anytime you see the small ones.

Very fun challenge...

1    11/14/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: The fun of the Sarge is entirely built on shaping lines. Almost every hole on the course has a very distinct line, few of them repeated. Straight lines, forehand s-curves, high anhyzers, low anhyzers, slow fades, straight to fades.... Along with a few holes in the open that broke up the woodland challenge.

The course was dominated with buzzz shots in the 300-330 foot range, on down to various putter shots from 200-275. I didn't break out the driver very often, this could be construed as a negative, but it doesn't have to be. I was very happy with the practice that it gave me.

On top of this there were a lot of water hazards that were used very well. There were two holes that required you to throw over the water, both short enough to be accessible to beginners. Multiple holes saw the water lining the right side of the fairway or the left side of the fairway all the way to the pin. A few had water beyond the pin a short ways, and another had a nice pool of water playing in a spot that would otherwise be a too-easy landing zone. Great use of the water.
Cons: However - it is very possible to construe the lack of driver shots as a neg. I recall using a driver off the tee only three times. One of them I could have definitely benefited from placing a straight mid up the fairway instead of going with the driver.

Additionally - there is no elevation on the course. I don't feel that it hurts as much as it could because it is caused by the fact that it is a lowland area and few areas have both water hazards lining the course along with big elevation changes. But it IS a negative nonetheless. A few holes manage to add a little with baskets mounted on mounds, and hole one has been clearly built up over time to provide some change if you land short (as I did). But really, all of the shots are very flat.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course may only play as a 3.5 - but the fun factor really helps to bump it slightly. If I could give it between a 3.5 and a 4.0 I probably would. It is a blast to throw, and I love the mixture of tightly wooded shots and limited undergrowth which really keeps errant shots from being punished too severely - it keeps the round very fun despite the tight lines you need to hit. Punishment without ridiculousness, and the scores on the holes will vary. I took some 5's, a 4 - clearly didn't play my best possible round, but I still had a ton of fun. (for the record - 52 over 19 holes, 10 birds, a 4, 2 5's.)

1    6/11/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: Very scenic course with wildlife abound.
-3 different tee positions marked by different color stakes
-clean with many garbage cans
-pool skimmers to retrieve discs in the water
-very challenging and tight
-porta-potty at hole 9
-course map at first tee
-spray painted arrows on the ground towards next tee
-walkways over muddy areas
Cons: The course is across the street from the rest of the park which was confusing for a 1st timer.
-bugs get bad
- high chance of losing a disc
-long walk after #18
-practice basket not near the course
-natural tee pads
Other Thoughts: While at hole #9 I was watching an alligator out in the lake and then saw a coyote run by the side of the lake (how cool is that?) If you accept the cons for what they are then this is a very enjoyable place. The long-handled pool skimmers are a nice touch because alot of the water holes have very clear water. I think my favorite holes were #1 and #2. Very fun, I will be back.

Great course near a great town . . . Savannah

1    1/15/2010   1/16/2010
Pros: 1) Interesting property. It is all lowland surrounding a few lakes. There are raised fairways on the holes lining the ponds which leads me to believe at some point those areas were dredged out of the ponds to make those raised areas. I also would suspect this happened way before the disc golf course was there.
2) Garbage cans are available on almost every hole. This is a positive to keep this natural setting clean of debris and it did look clean to me. I picked up a couple pieces of debris (a water bottle and a hand warmer??? Are you kidding me a hand warmer in S.C. that's just embarrassing for the state, not only do they have litter bugs, but they are wimpy ones that can't handle temps between 30-40 without hand warmers!!!!)
3) Very nice risk/reward holes and shots. #1 has the carry over the water with the tiewall to stop those short armed skips off the water. The small wall may be there for erosion, but it also stops those shorts teeshots over the water and knocks them down to where the disc may even be irretrievable. #12 also has a forced water carry. Sure it is short but there are some scrubby trees right there to knock you down . . . and it knocked mine down and then it rolled back into the water. I ended up with a circle 3 that had a chance at an ace if I missed the one little scrubby branch.
4) 3 tees per hole. In general I always like to see options to allow for differing abilities.
5) All fairways are covered in pine needles from the massive pines and leaves for the hardwoods in the area too. These pine needles keep grass and weeds from growing so it actually does a nice job keeping the fairways clean. The fairways also feel somewhat cushioned by the needles. Turf is also ok on the few holes that are not covered by the canopy of these trees.
6) Colored posts mark all of the tee areas (yellow, blue, white).
7) Variety of shot shaping is excellent. These holes go back and forth, some go right to left, some left to right, some have double doglegs for the perfect S curve. There are a few straight holes but on those holes there are other issues that can present some challenge to you.
8) This course wasn't overly difficult from the blue tees, but it did have an ever present challenge from hole #1 until #17. #18 isn't as tough as the other holes, but it does still pose a challenge for par because it is a long hole and although the fairway is 40-50' wide if you do allow your disc to hyzer out to badly it will end up in a deep slough and the disc may very well be irretrievable.
9) Planks and platforms all over the place. These are positives because the locals or parks people realize it will remain wet in some areas for long periods of time.
10) The first tee area has a mailbox with scorecards and pencils and a small kiosk for postings and information.
11) Practice basket is located int he parking lot which may be confusing for first timers who may not see the course across the road when they drive in, but at least they have one for early morning putting practice.
12) Activity center has bathrooms and a waiver form you are supposed to sign and deposit before playing.There are also picnic tables, a playground and some shelters there.
13) Discatchers are in great shape and they catch fine. The yellow band is key for finding the basket locations because of some of the tucked basket locations.
14) Tightly wooded holes like this make for grea disc golf. I felt like the fairways were very fair and on occassion you might have some bad luck with a tree kick but you also may just as easily get a good bounce.
15) Course is completely isolated from all other activities which is very nice! It is nice to not have to worry about other people who dont know what you are doing.
Cons: 1) There is zero elevation change on this course. It is a lowland area surrounding the few lakes and sloughs. There were a few baskets tucked up or down but it was never more than 5-10' of elevation change on any hole.
2) Signs only indicate Hole # and Distance. A handful of these minimalist signs are missing also.
3) Course seems to remain wet for a long time. This is not the rainy season but they must have had some recent heavy rains because every area off the fairways was wet. You may not lose your disc in these wet areas but you are going to have to get your feet wet a few times to retrieve the disc. I had two situations where I was off the fairways and ended up needing to get wet to get the disc.
4) Layout is a little confusing near the end of the course. #16 is illogically to the right of #15 basket but you have to walk a little ways to get to it. I assumed #16, 17 and 18 were across the road and I was wrong, I figured it out after walking about 200' down what I thought was the path to the next tee. #18 also ends a good walk away from the parking lot. Hole #1 is also located a good walk from the parking lot. In the end not a huge deal but it is worth mentioning. I was a first timer and I figured it out eventually, but the guy that asked where the course was (in the parking lot) struggled to figure out where the first hole was too despite driving right by it.
5) Natural tees are rutted and rooty in spots. With the ground being wet there are also are a few that are unusable because of muddy areas. This would be a prime course that concrete tees would make so much better.
6) Course is not beginner friendly despite the shorter tees. There are simply too many difficult areas and tough holes for beginners to appreciate how great this course is.
7) I cannot comment on the bugs but others have said this course can be very buggy. I do not doubt this with the amount of water around this course.
8) In general the gold tees do not change the hole very much except addings distance. White tees also do not change much other than just begin shorter. The two water carries are changed dramtically however.
9) Pine needles can be very slippery, especially int he fairway and tees where you are generally throwing with a long runup.
Other Thoughts: This was a great county park and a wonderfully designed disc golf course. The property is pretty conducive to disc golf but could use a few things to improve it. I think concrete tees, consistant and complete tee signs would make this course a solid 4 in my mind because it is such a solid design and has constant challenge. The missing amenities and lack of elevation change are all that are keeping this from being higher than a 4. All in all I had a great time and feel like it is comparable to Tom Triplett mostly because of how well designed each hole is. I know this course will continue to improve and it is clear that it is well maintained already.
On pure design and challenge I give this course a 4 rating for sure and since it is failry new I am gonna leave the rating where it is at 4. I assume concrete may come up soon and hopefully be installed.