Hardeeville, SC

< Prev 1 2 3 4
The Sarge: Beware of Gators

1    8/2/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: Billy K2
Pros: The Sarge was a very scenic, fun course that will challenge even the best of players. The locals were very friendly and helpful. The course was pretty crowded, which I like to see. There were restrooms throughout the course. The baskets and tees were in very good shape, and the course was free of any trash. The navigation and signs were great, and I was able to navigate the course with ease. There are multiple tees. I love hole 12 because it is a tough shot over water to the basket.
Cons: The course was very muddy. When I played, it rained the day before. I got freaked out a little when I saw a alligator swimming close to shore, but I didn't encounter a gator on land. I'm not a fan of the mixed match tees(Carpet and natural), but I can deal with it.
Other Thoughts: I went to The Sarge while I was on vacation this year, and it was a fun experience. If you are vacationing in the area, I would recommend you play The Sarge before you leave.

My Home Course

5+    6/10/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 7/28/2014
Pros: Tight technical course that will test your skills. Baskets are in great condition - tee boxes are dirt, but are level ... they have improved the drainage issues. This is a Lowcountry course. Yes, there are snakes and alligators; no, they do not pose a great risk - don't believe the hype :) - Multiple tee boxes for different skill levels. Easy to navigate.
Cons: There are very few opportunities to rip it wildly - which can be fun. You may loose a disc or two if you make errant throws. Long walk back from 18.
Other Thoughts: Great course - awesome to have this as my home course!

White Tees very short - great for beginners and family games.

Club locals play blue tees mostly

Golds are for expert players only!

Hole by hole tips (from blue)
1) Most club players play right to left over the water (birdie opp)- plays appx 65-70 yds. Easy par down left fairway over land. Great risk reward hole.
2) Straight shot, pin tucked left. Opening to pin seems to play a little shorter then it looks.
3) Low flick carry 70-80 yards then left to right
4) Left side more forgiving then right
5) Fast green - plays short. There is another row of trees to the left - kind of hidden
6) From the tee - the left is more forgiving then the right. There are two alley-ways for the second shot. On this site it is listed as a par 5 from the blue - It is a par 4. (15 is listed as a par 3, but is a par 4 so all 18 still the same to par.)
7) Plays short -low to medium flick with strong fade is the shot - birdie hole.
8) A little longer then the sign indicates. Narrow opening for birdie straight ahead. Left alley usually results in easy par.
9) Water immediately behind basket. Short right is a tough spot. Closer to the hole left is tougher then right. Keep it low off the tee.
10) Seems to me to play shorter then sign. Bailing left usually works for an easy par.
11) Fairway bends left then gently right. Again - bailing left is better then right but tougher and more wooded then #10.
12) Wind almost always from right to left over the water - wind blows a little more strongly over the water.
13) Left is a problem the entire length of the hole - aim pin high right - very slow green surrounded by water on 3 sides.
14) Pin is about 100' behind the pole and 30' to the right. Water right of green. Green is hard to get at - long left is an easy par - kind of behind the pole. Long far left is more woods. Some aggressive players go over the top with thumb or hammer.
15) Tournament play this is a par 4 - the sign/card says 3. OB all the way on the right - left not much better. Conservative play and usually easy par if you lay up short of where it narrows then two short shots to park it. Pin is elevated and tucked right.
16) Everything right is wet and you won't find the disc in the dark water. Fast green too. Par is most easily gotten by staying left and playing right to left shots.
17) One of the wider fairways - let er rip - left to right shape will get you a nice 350' birdie.
18) Wider then it looks - left to right shots seems make the most sense with water all the way on the left. One of the few places you can play a higher ceiling shot.
There is a 19th hole if you start back towards the tee and take right over the bridge. This course would be rated 4 to 4.25 if the 18th brought you back to your car - the walk is 1/4 to 1/2 a mile. - enjoy!

Woodsy/Isolated, Great Disc Golf

1    2/28/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros:
-Multiple tees (White, Blue, and Gold). All are visible and easy to find. You can customize your DG experience.
-Long holes are interspersed with tight/technical holes providing variety so it doesn't feel like long throw after long throw.
-The Sarge is conveniently located right off the interstate.
-Hole 1 is easy to find and the course flows well. At no point was I wandering to find the next tee.
-Lots of water hazards really challenge you and force you to play smart.
-One of the biggest positives of this course is that it is designated Disc Golf only and you don't have to contend with dog walkers, playgrounds, picnics, etc.
-Mixed tees (Mats, natural, etc.), but none were hazardous.
-Great course for tournament play. Holes are spaced well.
-The course does not seem to be too crowded as there were only two other groups on a warm, Saturday afternoon.
-This course has that isolated ambience where it is just you and nature.
Cons:
-Long walk back from hole 18
-Extremely marshy/muddy on many holes.
-The rough is punishing at times, but not so much that you lose a disc. However, it is VERY easy to lose one in the water in several places.
-Major risk of animal encounters here
This is a really good/challenging course with lots of water and risk/reward shots (Hole 1 being a true risk/reward shot). You have to be able to execute many types of shots in order to score well at The Sarge. I would be overjoyed if this were my home course.

I Long Delayed it, then Enjoyed it

1    12/21/2013   12/23/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Despite the lack of courses in the area, I'd always avoided coming here. Most of what was in the reviews and just in the general description kept me away. I always said that I would wait till winter. I wanted to play it at its driest, and I wanted to the chance for animal encounters to be as small as possible. And maybe I was right to do so. Maybe it will be a worse experience in the summer. I'll give it another shot in the spring to test. But the course that I experienced this winter was a really fun play.

There's a ton of water. In these conditions it's mostly in well-marked OB areas. There are some swampy areas but they only trouble the truly errant shot. And any hole here that is exciting, it's because of the water. Was probably my favorite hole on the course, across at least 200 feet of water with the basket placed so a shot over the water can swoop in from the right. There's another cool carry later on, The length is about the same but this time it's a straight shot with only a small gap in the shoreline trees on the other side to aim through, with branches ready to know misplaced throws into the water. On the other holes, the water is more a menace than obstacle, with one or both sides boasting a strictly-enforced fairway.

Since some of the previous reviews, tee pads and signs have been put in. With one big exception navigation was a breeze here and the course flows well. The rubber tee pads on most of the blue tees work well enough. In retrospect, I probably needlessly delayed my trip here and will make at least a few returns.
Cons:
Water to the left, water to the right, nice. Water between the tee and the pin, better. Water in the middle of the fairway, bad. They've done a really nice job building walkways for when the course is flooded. But if the fairways on the first few holes are flooded to the point where I would need those, I'd get back in my car and go to Tom Triplett. Casual water where it isn't supposed to be is one of my least favorite things. Water on a disc golf course is supposed to be about elation for a shot gone right, with an element of risk. Well there is nothing exhilarating about finding your disc in unmarked, ankle-deep water after hitting your target zone. And there isn't really any risk, when you'll be trudging through muck no matter where you throw. When I played, this wasn't a problem. It was November. But I could see where the water would go when it was high. I could see what would easily turn into swamp. And that limits the course for me, seasonally.

I feel like the white tees avoid most of the standing water and make the course playable during bad conditions but most of them are really short. Too short for it to be worth it go there and play them.

When the water is in the proper place, there are still a lot of holes that just aren't that interesting. There are a lot of straight shots down fairways that aren't narrow enough to be considered tight, but aren't wide enough (and don't have the distance) to air out drives. There are also a ton of trees in the middle of fairways. Just a ton of mid-range shots played safely between marsh areas. Not that that type of shots are bad. There is just a bit too much of that.

That said, it could easily earn another half point by clearing up the 18 mess. The last hole is on the other side of the road, and it brings you really far from the entrance. If I played again, I would just play 17 and call it a day. It's not the great of a hole, it's just long and straight and the fairway is wide enough to keep it from being of any interest. At the end, you need to backtrack to a small bridge and then turn left to get to a small path that leads a long way back to the start. But there is no sign that indicates you need to to do that. The intuitive path to take is the one that leads back past the basket. This way will lead back to the start too but it will be a very long path around the pond.

The obvious solution to this would be adding holes 19 and 20. The path that you walk along is already as good of a fairway as many here. Playing that as 19, with water to the right would alleviate some of the walk. And 20 could be sweet. The blue tee would feature the longest carry of the course, across a corner of that pond, although the walk from the tee to the landing zone would be annoyingly long. It looks like someone is in the process of happening as there is a basket in place where 20 would logically go. Without the logical 19 in place though, it just means a long walk between 18 and 19.

Worth the stop

1    8/13/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: nc-hyzer1
Pros: This course was easily navigable once I found hole one, you need to cross the street from the park entrance, after that it was very easy to find your way. Course was very clean and well maintained. GPS took me right to park. Few great ace looks from the blue tees. Errant shots are not rewarded, but you can recover from them. Staff at the office was friendly and helpful. Course plays with many scenic views over all. Map in office. Holes had very descent spacing between pads. I played the blue; there were also yellow and white pads for different skill levels. The yellow pads look like a few needed trimming. Straight shots are the normal here
Cons: This course is definitely one where it depends on when you come; if there is a lot of rain looks like you can deal with a lot of water on the course. They did do a great job of adding some small walking bridges to avoid this; however there still was a lot of area especially on the first few holes that still were holding water (were these OB or not). Some holes had yellow rope behind holes, I guess this was out of bounds did not notice marked on the sign. There was little technical ability needed other than being able to throw the distance and straight. I did not see any snakes even though the area looked like I should have seen them. Bring a bug spray with high deed count; you may lose a pint of blood if you do not. Hole 18 is far from the parking lot, the lady inside said if I walked towards the road I could have played a 19th hole on the way back, this was not on my map.
Other Thoughts: Being my first time here, I found the course very fun to play. There are a few things I did not see on the course information tab. At the office I had to fill out a play pass and put in the drop box. The park closes at 6, so if you are playing past 6 it says to park outside the gate. There is room to do this around hole 1. Information says they raffle of a disc every month, maybe for locals only. They sell discs limited selection, they have Sarge printed mini's and regular discs. Regular were sold out if you collect.

GATORS nom nom nom

1    3/28/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: Drewpy
Pros: Nice combination of short/long holes. Very challenging shots over/around water. Nice scenery. Best course in the area. Nice map. Nice staff.
Cons: SO MUCH WATER... no real imagination involved, everything is just a straight shot with the exception of like 2 holes.
Other Thoughts: Only course worth going to in the area. We stayed on HHI and there was only one poor course on the island. It was bad.

We had a blast playing!!

1    11/30/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: This course has several unique and memorable holes which are just plain fun. There is a definite advantage to keeping the disc straight on this course. I'm rating this as Phenomenal because compared to the courses my wife and I played on our recent trip to the Southeast from Indiana, this one was one of our favorites.

-tees were in good shape
-very good signage and easy to navigate
-a couple fun holes over water....especially #1 from the pro tees
-very scenic
Cons: We didn't see any gators or snakes, but you do feel somewhat exposed at times.
Other Thoughts: I would go out of my way to play this course again if I were in the general area.

Slippery when wet

5+    7/26/2012   8/26/2012
Review By: Chuck6995
Pros: This is a fun disc golf course where being a straight thrower is a premium, like many other people before me who have played here you must watch your step at all times, yes there are snakes and gators present but the challenging fairways are really fun.
Cons: being a course in the low country brings a problem here, it is flat and rain water (floods) this piece of land, along with that comes the skeeters so bring bug spray and goretex shoes, other than that no cons here
Other Thoughts: i enjoy this course alot wish i was closer to here so i could play here more often, did i mention bring DEET.....

A hidden gem

1    7/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: Steelo
This review was updated on 8/26/2012
Pros: Great scenery, well marked pads, tee signs. Cool shots!
Course was in pretty good shape too
Cons: I felt uneasy after reading a couple of prior reviews regarding the wildlife. I didnt see anything dangerous but I did hear some large creatures moving around near the water.

Not enough people playing the course (from what I saw)
Other Thoughts: It is easy to access and it feels like you are miles from civilization, except for the loud highway traffic

Watch the ground near the water

5+    7/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: kalpic30
Pros: I love this course and play it every time i'm over this way!
Cons: Grass needs more frequent maintaining (esp. on Hole 15). High grass invites un-welcomed reptiles...
Other Thoughts: Just wanted to give all readers a little piece of advice...Please pay close attention to the ground while retrieving your disc near ANY water on this course. In my past two visits, I have seen both a water moccasin and an alligator while picking up my disc. In all honesty, I didn't notice the water moccasin until I saw its back end slithering into the water; so I could have easily been a victim. The Sarge is a wonderful course and very fun to play. Do NOT let these words of advice scare you away from this course! I know that I'll be going back...probably tomorrow!

< Prev 1 2 3 4