Hardeeville, SC
Uploaded By: sfeather Hole #5

Very Challenging and Unique Course

1    11/6/2011   11/9/2011
Review By: Thundering Elephants
Pros: This course is one of the most scenic courses I have played. It was fairly easy to find using the GPS coordinates and directions off the DGCR page. There was plenty of parking and great restroom facilities with some vending machines. There was also a playground if anyone were to bring kids along. Practice basket by the main facility as well. The park attendant was very helpful and informative. I found the course to be well maintained. The baskets were in good shape. I'd say about half the blue tees were natural and half were a carpet type material that was smooth, large enough, and provided good traction. I played the blue tees, which were challenging enough for me. They had shorter white tees, which were pretty short, and longer gold tees on most holes, which appeared to add a good degree of difficulty. All the white and gold tees appeared to be natural. Signage was very helpful on holes that still had the signs as there were a lot of holes where the basket was not visible, and with so much water around, you really want to know where you are throwing. There was a nice variety of shots. 2 holes were over water, and most of the rest had water to at least one side of your throw. Not much elevation. About the only elevation is a raised basket, maybe 5 feet high. Another hole throws over a slight crest that prohibits seeing the basket. There was no undergrowth when I played. The course was not crowded (Sunday about 11 AM).

Cons: One of the things that makes this course unique are the gators. We saw one while we were playing. Another HUGE con for me personally is snakes. I hate snakes. Luckily I did not see any, but I don't see how that could be the norm. It's in a swamp with pine trees and pine needles covering everything. I was so afraid that while I was focused on finding my disc, I'd step on a rattler or moccasin. I don't see how you could play in the middle of summer and not see a snake. There was a lot of walking. The first tee is maybe a ¼ mile from the parking lot and the last hole is probably a ½ mile from the parking lot. I personally don't mind walking, but it adds time to your round for sure. About half of the holes had sign posts but were missing the signs. If your disc goes in the water, it's probably gone. You are pretty brave if you go in after them. There are also signs posted saying if you swim, you are trespassing. The activity center was packed with people for some sort of group gathering.
Other Thoughts: I value unique courses, and this one certainly fits that description with water coming into play on a majority of holes. I am thankful I played this course in November and thankful it hadn't rained in a while. This course is in a swamp, but due to my lucky timing, it was fairly dry and there were no bugs to deal with. I didn't have much trouble finding the holes. The flow seemed fairly intuitive. The maps that were supplied were helpful the few times I had a question. I found the course very difficult. Anything less than precise throws were generally punished severely. A couple holes didn't seem to have a clear throwing path and it just took luck to get through. You have to sign in at the activity center and supply emergency contact info. I don't know if this is in case you get into it with a gator or snake, but this is the only place I can think of where I have had to do that. Overall, I had a blast playing this course and highly recommend.

Great course

1    5/21/2011   10/25/2011
Review By: Will_S
Pros: Challenging course with lots of trees and narrow fairways. Half of the holes border a beautiful crystal clear lake.
Cons: Depending on the tee you're throwing from some of the holes tend to play pretty short, but that doesn't necessarily mean easy. The tee pads usually aren't anything more than a couple of stakes in the ground and can be hard to spot sometimes. Finding the first tee box is kinda trickey too.
Other Thoughts: Great course to play, but isn't as good as Tom Triplett over in Pooler.

Watch your step :)

1    9/12/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: WaterLogged
Pros: Great place to hone your technique. narrow tree guarded fairways.
Gators and snakes make excellent hazards for the disc golf adventurer
Cons: Narrow tree guarded fairways do not help the player that doesn't have the straightest tee off.
Long walk from 18. they should definitely put a few more holes in. it doesn't feel like walking when you throwing :)
Other Thoughts: Fun course, nice forest feel, very technical

Like a Beautiful Redhead...Watch out!

2-4    6/4/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: johndhjr71
Pros: This course has some of the most beautiful/scenic disc golf holes I've ever seen. The water/lake beginning on hole 1 is absolutely breath taking. Lots of water throughout the course but no swimming...alligators! Mulitple tees on every hole. A few great holes to Ace Run. Pracitce Basket.
Cons: Snakes, giant ones with fangs that talk about your mama. Alligators! This course could be fantastic. The Blue tees are okay. If your considering playing from the white tees...DON'T, just go on a hike. White tees are way to short! Several holes on this course just don't have a lane to throw. To much luck involved from the blue on many shots instead of making a risk reward decision. No Tee Pads. Haven't played from all the Gold Tees so I can't comment. The hike from Hole 18 back to Hole 1, holymoly, might as well add another 9 holes here.
Other Thoughts: I was lucky to play this course during a drought so it wasn't swampy like in other reviews, even the mosquitos gave us a break. Glad I played this course but I don't think I would play this course again if it weren't part of a tournament and I got a hole in one here.

Sergeant Water

1    2/11/2011   2/15/2011
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 4/23/2011
Pros:
-Water. It's rare to get to play a course with so much water. Two of the holes require decent little water crossings, while several of the other holes either flank water entirely or have pin positions that bring water into play. We went in the water 7 times and lost 2 discs.
- Pin Placement. Several of the pins were placed in positions that maximized water hazards and/or other obstacles.
-Open Holes. The few open holes in the middle of the course really turn a standard woods course into a championship material. Beautiful Par 4 type holes with tons of danger.
- Peninsulas Fairways. A few holes had water on both sides of a strip of land, or water on one side and deep woods on the other. Being off the fairway was a non-option, making you question every throw, distance vs. accuracy, risk vs. reward, etc…
- Multiple Tee-Pads. I think every Hole had three tee-pads: gold, blue and white, giving the player the ability to adjust the course to their skill level. For example, since I was playing lefty I played the Blue's… where I would have normally played the Gold's right-handed.
Cons:
- Tee Pads. The tee-pads were just natural dirt/mud, being marked by a tee-sign and two painted wooden stakes hammered in the ground. This can be OK… but for a course of this caliber, you expect more.
- Swampy. I mean, you're playing in a swamp, so what do you (I) expect. However, so you know, besides the actual swamp, the fairways were swampy. Lots of standing water puddles all over the course and a few tee-pads. Wear water proof shoes!
- Close to Freeway. I guess this is a Pro and a Con. It's a Pro in the sense that you can get off the freeway and play in a matter of minutes and there's a lot of food and gas options on the exit. However, it's also a Con because a few of the holes are right up against the I-95 and that makes for some considerable noise pollution in an otherwise extremely natural area.
- Overall… Championship Stuff. I would say that The Sarge would be a contender against almost any other course in terms of shot quality. There's definitely some championship golf to be played. The course opens with a water shot, continues throwing water at you sporadically throughout the round, and then finishes with a monster water hole on 18. However, without proper tee-pads and professional signage the overall disc score takes a little hit.

1    2/7/2011   2/7/2011
Review By: Shodai
Pros: Very challenging short course with an excellent combination of tight fairways and approaches as well as water in play on several holes. Lost a disc to hole #12 but re-teed for a straight to basket 3 and saved par. It was wet when I played but manageable. Over a fun course with variety. Good for beginners and experienced players.
Cons: Very limited elevations. Swampy at times and the gnats and mosquitoes will kill during the warmer months. Bring bug spray. Long walks if you do t like em. Tree guarded water holes can be hazardous to beginners but are playable. Wild life.
Other Thoughts: Will definately play again and our club played this course for the Border Battle with Team Savannah each year in a charity event. Worth the drive to play and it will improve your game if you play it enough.

Great mix of woods and water

5+    6/6/2009   2/6/2011
Review By: filobedo
This review was updated on 6/1/2013
Pros: Fantastic mix of par 3s, 4s and a 5 with 3 sets of tees on most holes. The local club does a great job on the course and with their sanctioned tournaments and the front reminds me of some of the shorter wooded Charlotte courses and easy to get to from I-95. The signage is great. Favorite holes include,
#1 - From middle tees is a great start hole with a hyzer for rhbh over water only about 240"
#3 - Challenging and short for a possible 2
#4 - Great anhyzer short for rhbh for a possible 2 if you do not get behind a
#5 - Challenging tight and long hole.
#8 - Favorite hole on the front with a little uphill fairway for the lowcountry and the basket sits next to the pond.
#12 - Fun short hole over the water for ace run
#14 - Great blindshot hole over a crest with the hole guarded by trees to the right.
#15 Long tight hole you must play smart and stay in the fairway. Hole is elevated on a mound and a 4 is very good, 3 is great.
Cons: #6 - Very unusual short hole with many obtacles including when you get to the basket. This hole could use some chainsaws for improvement or back the tee up to make it a short par 4.
Other Thoughts: Bring bugspray in the spring and summer and watch for alligators around water. There used to be a small gator that hung out in the small pond to the left on #13 and I am sure the mother is nearby anytime you see the small ones.

What I image disc golf to be!

1    12/23/2010   12/30/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: Great use of water and land, course requires a variety of shots.
Activity center that has vending machines, bathrooms, scorecards, course maps, and sells discs, most discs $9 (small selection included: PD Gremlin, PD Freak, PD MD-1, DX Cro, DX Sidewinder, DX Roc, and DX Dragon). the activity center also has a box of discs that were found and they try to return lost plastic.
Wooden bridges in the beginning of the course anticipate course flooding and mud.
A few borderline signature holes: Course starts with a stong hole with number one's basket being by the water on it's own little peninsula on the right. 9 was long and straight with a large tree in the middle of the fairway, if you kick left or right the foiliage is tough to recover from. There is also a downslope to water is just 10 feet behind the basket. 12 was a super short shot over a small pond, basket was near the bank, so if you over shoot, you have to shot right at the water again. 15 had an elevated basket on a mound to the right with lots of OB on the right side.
Pool skimmer on hole 13 helps get discs out of nasty swampy water on hole 13.
Multiple tees on most holes, some had tees missing, so you have to be flexible on what color you are playing from.
Cons: Without the map some holes are difficult to find. I could not find 16 until I stopped playing and got a map on my phone. Many of the signs were missing, some were just numbers with no hole information. Several times I just threw at the most obvious flight path and then searched for the basket before takingmy second shot. Flow was often confusing and I had to play fast to keep the person in front of me in sight so I could see where he was throwing at, when I caught him he let me play through and then I was totally lost.
There was a long walk to hole one, but I was expecting it. I was not expecting the much longer walk from hole 18 back to the park. I thought I was going to get lost in the woods and become some swamp 'fella's bride. No signage to lead you out after hole 18.
I did not loose any discs, but I was very lucky, because it was so cold I was not afraid of wading in the water after a disc, but in the summer I would have had to say goodbye to a few peices of plastic.

Other Thoughts: With such a swampy surroundings I was so glad it was cold, I can't imagine what the bugs wouldbe like in the summer.
foget buying or bringing a dragon/wahoo, 9 times out of 10 you can not get your disc to retrieve it, just bring afew dx discs you can say goodbye to.
Even though this is not nearly my highest rated, it is a must play if you are in the area, or even headed south on 95. It is very similar to the back 9 at Tom Tripplett in Pooler, GA, just a short drive south.

Very fun challenge...

1    11/14/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: The fun of the Sarge is entirely built on shaping lines. Almost every hole on the course has a very distinct line, few of them repeated. Straight lines, forehand s-curves, high anhyzers, low anhyzers, slow fades, straight to fades.... Along with a few holes in the open that broke up the woodland challenge.

The course was dominated with buzzz shots in the 300-330 foot range, on down to various putter shots from 200-275. I didn't break out the driver very often, this could be construed as a negative, but it doesn't have to be. I was very happy with the practice that it gave me.

On top of this there were a lot of water hazards that were used very well. There were two holes that required you to throw over the water, both short enough to be accessible to beginners. Multiple holes saw the water lining the right side of the fairway or the left side of the fairway all the way to the pin. A few had water beyond the pin a short ways, and another had a nice pool of water playing in a spot that would otherwise be a too-easy landing zone. Great use of the water.
Cons: However - it is very possible to construe the lack of driver shots as a neg. I recall using a driver off the tee only three times. One of them I could have definitely benefited from placing a straight mid up the fairway instead of going with the driver.

Additionally - there is no elevation on the course. I don't feel that it hurts as much as it could because it is caused by the fact that it is a lowland area and few areas have both water hazards lining the course along with big elevation changes. But it IS a negative nonetheless. A few holes manage to add a little with baskets mounted on mounds, and hole one has been clearly built up over time to provide some change if you land short (as I did). But really, all of the shots are very flat.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course may only play as a 3.5 - but the fun factor really helps to bump it slightly. If I could give it between a 3.5 and a 4.0 I probably would. It is a blast to throw, and I love the mixture of tightly wooded shots and limited undergrowth which really keeps errant shots from being punished too severely - it keeps the round very fun despite the tight lines you need to hit. Punishment without ridiculousness, and the scores on the holes will vary. I took some 5's, a 4 - clearly didn't play my best possible round, but I still had a ton of fun. (for the record - 52 over 19 holes, 10 birds, a 4, 2 5's.)

The Sarge vs Gomer Pyle - SHAZAM!!! :D

1    6/17/2010   7/1/2010
Review By: bk_ching
This review was updated on 5/11/2011
Pros: --- soda machine in activity center containing Dasani water and PowerAde
--- the nice English woman in office at center, politely pointing out the course maps, scorecards
--- golf pencils (and even more course maps and scorecards) in mailbox next to bulletin board on Hole 1
--- isolated and virtually no golf traffic (even though on some holes you can see and hear I-95 traffic in distance)
--- two neat holes that play right over water (#1 and 12), from blue tees no longer than 180 feet - great ace runs
--- wooden walkways over muddy areas on #2 and 3
--- even if you miss fairway, there is not heavy underbrush or thorns to deal with, cut out pretty well, much more tropical
--- clean course with trash cans in many places, virtually no trash on ground
--- raised mound pin placement on #15
Cons: --- The biggest con for me was the looooooong walk from #18 back to the activity center/parking lot. You have to walk around another lake, which took at least 10 minutes. But on my way, I noticed a few picnic tables and other than that, I envisioned another 9 holes placed out there. Then a transition would be a lot more fluid from a Hole 27 to the activity center. I talked to the guy in Park & Rec truck about it the next day and he said that's something he's considering down the road.
--- practice basket in parking lot, 300' away from tee #1 across road
--- I'm sure it would be very damp to play out there after a recent rain, but fortunately for me, the ground was pretty dry
--- a few of the fairways have very narrow windows and a couple tees placed a little too close to water hazards on side (see hole 11), but overall the designers did the best with the land available
--- some of the gold tees looks like they would be workers and endanger your discs hitting water more
Other Thoughts: This is a heavily wooded, flat course playing across wetlands, lakes, and small lagoons. No elevation change except for maybe a dropoff of a few feet on a couple of holes. In fact, I believe the highest point of elevation is a homemade 4' high mound (with railroad ties as a foundation) supporting #15 basket. Nearly half the holes have water that either come into play or as a hazard on left, right, or both sides of fairway.

Precision from the tee is very important, especially with a lake on the right side of you on 4 or 5 holes. You could have the misfortune of hitting a tree off the tee with water hazard nearby and ricocheting right into the drink (such as the case for me on #11). So it is imperative to place your drives safely in order to set up your approach.

I actually lost 3 (count 'em, THREE) discs on just the Back Nine!!! All of them went into the water, one of them in the shallow lagoon on left of #13 fairway. The other two (#11, #16) were in the lake (gator food) and I just kissed them goodbye. They do have 6' metal poles with nets on the ends (as seen as on #1 and 16) to help with scooping any bottom-dwelling discs, but unfortunately, my plastic drowning victim was never recovered on 16. Note: If any of those discs had been Star plastic, I could've swiped them off the surface since they float!

All in all, a fun yet sweaty experience for me at The Sarge, despite losing 3 discs on the Back 9 (hopefully a record I will never break for one course, much more on the B9 lol). So play the holes with the water hazards on the sides cautiously. Accuracy, more than distance, is your best strategy. Also, I had no problem at all with mosquitoes, bugs, or ticks (just a couple pesky gnats, which is typical no matter where you play). Just spray down with some Deep Woods Off, Cutters (both of them have 20-30% DEET and the DWO did the job fine).