Hardeeville, SC
Hole #3 White Tee

Watch your step :)

1    9/12/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: WaterLogged
Pros: Great place to hone your technique. narrow tree guarded fairways.
Gators and snakes make excellent hazards for the disc golf adventurer
Cons: Narrow tree guarded fairways do not help the player that doesn't have the straightest tee off.
Long walk from 18. they should definitely put a few more holes in. it doesn't feel like walking when you throwing :)
Other Thoughts: Fun course, nice forest feel, very technical

Like a Beautiful Redhead...Watch out!

2-4    6/4/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: johndhjr71
Pros: This course has some of the most beautiful/scenic disc golf holes I've ever seen. The water/lake beginning on hole 1 is absolutely breath taking. Lots of water throughout the course but no swimming...alligators! Mulitple tees on every hole. A few great holes to Ace Run. Pracitce Basket.
Cons: Snakes, giant ones with fangs that talk about your mama. Alligators! This course could be fantastic. The Blue tees are okay. If your considering playing from the white tees...DON'T, just go on a hike. White tees are way to short! Several holes on this course just don't have a lane to throw. To much luck involved from the blue on many shots instead of making a risk reward decision. No Tee Pads. Haven't played from all the Gold Tees so I can't comment. The hike from Hole 18 back to Hole 1, holymoly, might as well add another 9 holes here.
Other Thoughts: I was lucky to play this course during a drought so it wasn't swampy like in other reviews, even the mosquitos gave us a break. Glad I played this course but I don't think I would play this course again if it weren't part of a tournament and I got a hole in one here.

Sergeant Water

1    2/11/2011   2/15/2011
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 4/23/2011
Pros:
-Water. It's rare to get to play a course with so much water. Two of the holes require decent little water crossings, while several of the other holes either flank water entirely or have pin positions that bring water into play. We went in the water 7 times and lost 2 discs.
- Pin Placement. Several of the pins were placed in positions that maximized water hazards and/or other obstacles.
-Open Holes. The few open holes in the middle of the course really turn a standard woods course into a championship material. Beautiful Par 4 type holes with tons of danger.
- Peninsulas Fairways. A few holes had water on both sides of a strip of land, or water on one side and deep woods on the other. Being off the fairway was a non-option, making you question every throw, distance vs. accuracy, risk vs. reward, etc…
- Multiple Tee-Pads. I think every Hole had three tee-pads: gold, blue and white, giving the player the ability to adjust the course to their skill level. For example, since I was playing lefty I played the Blue's… where I would have normally played the Gold's right-handed.
Cons:
- Tee Pads. The tee-pads were just natural dirt/mud, being marked by a tee-sign and two painted wooden stakes hammered in the ground. This can be OK… but for a course of this caliber, you expect more.
- Swampy. I mean, you're playing in a swamp, so what do you (I) expect. However, so you know, besides the actual swamp, the fairways were swampy. Lots of standing water puddles all over the course and a few tee-pads. Wear water proof shoes!
- Close to Freeway. I guess this is a Pro and a Con. It's a Pro in the sense that you can get off the freeway and play in a matter of minutes and there's a lot of food and gas options on the exit. However, it's also a Con because a few of the holes are right up against the I-95 and that makes for some considerable noise pollution in an otherwise extremely natural area.
- Overall… Championship Stuff. I would say that The Sarge would be a contender against almost any other course in terms of shot quality. There's definitely some championship golf to be played. The course opens with a water shot, continues throwing water at you sporadically throughout the round, and then finishes with a monster water hole on 18. However, without proper tee-pads and professional signage the overall disc score takes a little hit.

1    2/7/2011   2/7/2011
Review By: Shodai
Pros: Very challenging short course with an excellent combination of tight fairways and approaches as well as water in play on several holes. Lost a disc to hole #12 but re-teed for a straight to basket 3 and saved par. It was wet when I played but manageable. Over a fun course with variety. Good for beginners and experienced players.
Cons: Very limited elevations. Swampy at times and the gnats and mosquitoes will kill during the warmer months. Bring bug spray. Long walks if you do t like em. Tree guarded water holes can be hazardous to beginners but are playable. Wild life.
Other Thoughts: Will definately play again and our club played this course for the Border Battle with Team Savannah each year in a charity event. Worth the drive to play and it will improve your game if you play it enough.

Great mix of woods and water

5+    6/6/2009   2/6/2011
Review By: filobedo
This review was updated on 6/1/2013
Pros: Fantastic mix of par 3s, 4s and a 5 with 3 sets of tees on most holes. The local club does a great job on the course and with their sanctioned tournaments and the front reminds me of some of the shorter wooded Charlotte courses and easy to get to from I-95. The signage is great. Favorite holes include,
#1 - From middle tees is a great start hole with a hyzer for rhbh over water only about 240"
#3 - Challenging and short for a possible 2
#4 - Great anhyzer short for rhbh for a possible 2 if you do not get behind a
#5 - Challenging tight and long hole.
#8 - Favorite hole on the front with a little uphill fairway for the lowcountry and the basket sits next to the pond.
#12 - Fun short hole over the water for ace run
#14 - Great blindshot hole over a crest with the hole guarded by trees to the right.
#15 Long tight hole you must play smart and stay in the fairway. Hole is elevated on a mound and a 4 is very good, 3 is great.
Cons: #6 - Very unusual short hole with many obtacles including when you get to the basket. This hole could use some chainsaws for improvement or back the tee up to make it a short par 4.
Other Thoughts: Bring bugspray in the spring and summer and watch for alligators around water. There used to be a small gator that hung out in the small pond to the left on #13 and I am sure the mother is nearby anytime you see the small ones.

What I image disc golf to be!

1    12/23/2010   12/30/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: Great use of water and land, course requires a variety of shots.
Activity center that has vending machines, bathrooms, scorecards, course maps, and sells discs, most discs $9 (small selection included: PD Gremlin, PD Freak, PD MD-1, DX Cro, DX Sidewinder, DX Roc, and DX Dragon). the activity center also has a box of discs that were found and they try to return lost plastic.
Wooden bridges in the beginning of the course anticipate course flooding and mud.
A few borderline signature holes: Course starts with a stong hole with number one's basket being by the water on it's own little peninsula on the right. 9 was long and straight with a large tree in the middle of the fairway, if you kick left or right the foiliage is tough to recover from. There is also a downslope to water is just 10 feet behind the basket. 12 was a super short shot over a small pond, basket was near the bank, so if you over shoot, you have to shot right at the water again. 15 had an elevated basket on a mound to the right with lots of OB on the right side.
Pool skimmer on hole 13 helps get discs out of nasty swampy water on hole 13.
Multiple tees on most holes, some had tees missing, so you have to be flexible on what color you are playing from.
Cons: Without the map some holes are difficult to find. I could not find 16 until I stopped playing and got a map on my phone. Many of the signs were missing, some were just numbers with no hole information. Several times I just threw at the most obvious flight path and then searched for the basket before takingmy second shot. Flow was often confusing and I had to play fast to keep the person in front of me in sight so I could see where he was throwing at, when I caught him he let me play through and then I was totally lost.
There was a long walk to hole one, but I was expecting it. I was not expecting the much longer walk from hole 18 back to the park. I thought I was going to get lost in the woods and become some swamp 'fella's bride. No signage to lead you out after hole 18.
I did not loose any discs, but I was very lucky, because it was so cold I was not afraid of wading in the water after a disc, but in the summer I would have had to say goodbye to a few peices of plastic.

Other Thoughts: With such a swampy surroundings I was so glad it was cold, I can't imagine what the bugs wouldbe like in the summer.
foget buying or bringing a dragon/wahoo, 9 times out of 10 you can not get your disc to retrieve it, just bring afew dx discs you can say goodbye to.
Even though this is not nearly my highest rated, it is a must play if you are in the area, or even headed south on 95. It is very similar to the back 9 at Tom Tripplett in Pooler, GA, just a short drive south.

Very fun challenge...

1    11/14/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: The fun of the Sarge is entirely built on shaping lines. Almost every hole on the course has a very distinct line, few of them repeated. Straight lines, forehand s-curves, high anhyzers, low anhyzers, slow fades, straight to fades.... Along with a few holes in the open that broke up the woodland challenge.

The course was dominated with buzzz shots in the 300-330 foot range, on down to various putter shots from 200-275. I didn't break out the driver very often, this could be construed as a negative, but it doesn't have to be. I was very happy with the practice that it gave me.

On top of this there were a lot of water hazards that were used very well. There were two holes that required you to throw over the water, both short enough to be accessible to beginners. Multiple holes saw the water lining the right side of the fairway or the left side of the fairway all the way to the pin. A few had water beyond the pin a short ways, and another had a nice pool of water playing in a spot that would otherwise be a too-easy landing zone. Great use of the water.
Cons: However - it is very possible to construe the lack of driver shots as a neg. I recall using a driver off the tee only three times. One of them I could have definitely benefited from placing a straight mid up the fairway instead of going with the driver.

Additionally - there is no elevation on the course. I don't feel that it hurts as much as it could because it is caused by the fact that it is a lowland area and few areas have both water hazards lining the course along with big elevation changes. But it IS a negative nonetheless. A few holes manage to add a little with baskets mounted on mounds, and hole one has been clearly built up over time to provide some change if you land short (as I did). But really, all of the shots are very flat.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course may only play as a 3.5 - but the fun factor really helps to bump it slightly. If I could give it between a 3.5 and a 4.0 I probably would. It is a blast to throw, and I love the mixture of tightly wooded shots and limited undergrowth which really keeps errant shots from being punished too severely - it keeps the round very fun despite the tight lines you need to hit. Punishment without ridiculousness, and the scores on the holes will vary. I took some 5's, a 4 - clearly didn't play my best possible round, but I still had a ton of fun. (for the record - 52 over 19 holes, 10 birds, a 4, 2 5's.)

The Sarge vs Gomer Pyle - SHAZAM!!! :D

1    6/17/2010   7/1/2010
Review By: bk_ching
This review was updated on 5/11/2011
Pros: --- soda machine in activity center containing Dasani water and PowerAde
--- the nice English woman in office at center, politely pointing out the course maps, scorecards
--- golf pencils (and even more course maps and scorecards) in mailbox next to bulletin board on Hole 1
--- isolated and virtually no golf traffic (even though on some holes you can see and hear I-95 traffic in distance)
--- two neat holes that play right over water (#1 and 12), from blue tees no longer than 180 feet - great ace runs
--- wooden walkways over muddy areas on #2 and 3
--- even if you miss fairway, there is not heavy underbrush or thorns to deal with, cut out pretty well, much more tropical
--- clean course with trash cans in many places, virtually no trash on ground
--- raised mound pin placement on #15
Cons: --- The biggest con for me was the looooooong walk from #18 back to the activity center/parking lot. You have to walk around another lake, which took at least 10 minutes. But on my way, I noticed a few picnic tables and other than that, I envisioned another 9 holes placed out there. Then a transition would be a lot more fluid from a Hole 27 to the activity center. I talked to the guy in Park & Rec truck about it the next day and he said that's something he's considering down the road.
--- practice basket in parking lot, 300' away from tee #1 across road
--- I'm sure it would be very damp to play out there after a recent rain, but fortunately for me, the ground was pretty dry
--- a few of the fairways have very narrow windows and a couple tees placed a little too close to water hazards on side (see hole 11), but overall the designers did the best with the land available
--- some of the gold tees looks like they would be workers and endanger your discs hitting water more
Other Thoughts: This is a heavily wooded, flat course playing across wetlands, lakes, and small lagoons. No elevation change except for maybe a dropoff of a few feet on a couple of holes. In fact, I believe the highest point of elevation is a homemade 4' high mound (with railroad ties as a foundation) supporting #15 basket. Nearly half the holes have water that either come into play or as a hazard on left, right, or both sides of fairway.

Precision from the tee is very important, especially with a lake on the right side of you on 4 or 5 holes. You could have the misfortune of hitting a tree off the tee with water hazard nearby and ricocheting right into the drink (such as the case for me on #11). So it is imperative to place your drives safely in order to set up your approach.

I actually lost 3 (count 'em, THREE) discs on just the Back Nine!!! All of them went into the water, one of them in the shallow lagoon on left of #13 fairway. The other two (#11, #16) were in the lake (gator food) and I just kissed them goodbye. They do have 6' metal poles with nets on the ends (as seen as on #1 and 16) to help with scooping any bottom-dwelling discs, but unfortunately, my plastic drowning victim was never recovered on 16. Note: If any of those discs had been Star plastic, I could've swiped them off the surface since they float!

All in all, a fun yet sweaty experience for me at The Sarge, despite losing 3 discs on the Back 9 (hopefully a record I will never break for one course, much more on the B9 lol). So play the holes with the water hazards on the sides cautiously. Accuracy, more than distance, is your best strategy. Also, I had no problem at all with mosquitoes, bugs, or ticks (just a couple pesky gnats, which is typical no matter where you play). Just spray down with some Deep Woods Off, Cutters (both of them have 20-30% DEET and the DWO did the job fine).

1    6/11/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: Very scenic course with wildlife abound.
-3 different tee positions marked by different color stakes
-clean with many garbage cans
-pool skimmers to retrieve discs in the water
-very challenging and tight
-porta-potty at hole 9
-course map at first tee
-spray painted arrows on the ground towards next tee
-walkways over muddy areas
Cons: The course is across the street from the rest of the park which was confusing for a 1st timer.
-bugs get bad
- high chance of losing a disc
-long walk after #18
-practice basket not near the course
-natural tee pads
Other Thoughts: While at hole #9 I was watching an alligator out in the lake and then saw a coyote run by the side of the lake (how cool is that?) If you accept the cons for what they are then this is a very enjoyable place. The long-handled pool skimmers are a nice touch because alot of the water holes have very clear water. I think my favorite holes were #1 and #2. Very fun, I will be back.

Great course near a great town . . . Savannah

1    1/15/2010   1/16/2010
Pros: 1) Interesting property. It is all lowland surrounding a few lakes. There are raised fairways on the holes lining the ponds which leads me to believe at some point those areas were dredged out of the ponds to make those raised areas. I also would suspect this happened way before the disc golf course was there.
2) Garbage cans are available on almost every hole. This is a positive to keep this natural setting clean of debris and it did look clean to me. I picked up a couple pieces of debris (a water bottle and a hand warmer??? Are you kidding me a hand warmer in S.C. that's just embarrassing for the state, not only do they have litter bugs, but they are wimpy ones that can't handle temps between 30-40 without hand warmers!!!!)
3) Very nice risk/reward holes and shots. #1 has the carry over the water with the tiewall to stop those short armed skips off the water. The small wall may be there for erosion, but it also stops those shorts teeshots over the water and knocks them down to where the disc may even be irretrievable. #12 also has a forced water carry. Sure it is short but there are some scrubby trees right there to knock you down . . . and it knocked mine down and then it rolled back into the water. I ended up with a circle 3 that had a chance at an ace if I missed the one little scrubby branch.
4) 3 tees per hole. In general I always like to see options to allow for differing abilities.
5) All fairways are covered in pine needles from the massive pines and leaves for the hardwoods in the area too. These pine needles keep grass and weeds from growing so it actually does a nice job keeping the fairways clean. The fairways also feel somewhat cushioned by the needles. Turf is also ok on the few holes that are not covered by the canopy of these trees.
6) Colored posts mark all of the tee areas (yellow, blue, white).
7) Variety of shot shaping is excellent. These holes go back and forth, some go right to left, some left to right, some have double doglegs for the perfect S curve. There are a few straight holes but on those holes there are other issues that can present some challenge to you.
8) This course wasn't overly difficult from the blue tees, but it did have an ever present challenge from hole #1 until #17. #18 isn't as tough as the other holes, but it does still pose a challenge for par because it is a long hole and although the fairway is 40-50' wide if you do allow your disc to hyzer out to badly it will end up in a deep slough and the disc may very well be irretrievable.
9) Planks and platforms all over the place. These are positives because the locals or parks people realize it will remain wet in some areas for long periods of time.
10) The first tee area has a mailbox with scorecards and pencils and a small kiosk for postings and information.
11) Practice basket is located int he parking lot which may be confusing for first timers who may not see the course across the road when they drive in, but at least they have one for early morning putting practice.
12) Activity center has bathrooms and a waiver form you are supposed to sign and deposit before playing.There are also picnic tables, a playground and some shelters there.
13) Discatchers are in great shape and they catch fine. The yellow band is key for finding the basket locations because of some of the tucked basket locations.
14) Tightly wooded holes like this make for grea disc golf. I felt like the fairways were very fair and on occassion you might have some bad luck with a tree kick but you also may just as easily get a good bounce.
15) Course is completely isolated from all other activities which is very nice! It is nice to not have to worry about other people who dont know what you are doing.
Cons: 1) There is zero elevation change on this course. It is a lowland area surrounding the few lakes and sloughs. There were a few baskets tucked up or down but it was never more than 5-10' of elevation change on any hole.
2) Signs only indicate Hole # and Distance. A handful of these minimalist signs are missing also.
3) Course seems to remain wet for a long time. This is not the rainy season but they must have had some recent heavy rains because every area off the fairways was wet. You may not lose your disc in these wet areas but you are going to have to get your feet wet a few times to retrieve the disc. I had two situations where I was off the fairways and ended up needing to get wet to get the disc.
4) Layout is a little confusing near the end of the course. #16 is illogically to the right of #15 basket but you have to walk a little ways to get to it. I assumed #16, 17 and 18 were across the road and I was wrong, I figured it out after walking about 200' down what I thought was the path to the next tee. #18 also ends a good walk away from the parking lot. Hole #1 is also located a good walk from the parking lot. In the end not a huge deal but it is worth mentioning. I was a first timer and I figured it out eventually, but the guy that asked where the course was (in the parking lot) struggled to figure out where the first hole was too despite driving right by it.
5) Natural tees are rutted and rooty in spots. With the ground being wet there are also are a few that are unusable because of muddy areas. This would be a prime course that concrete tees would make so much better.
6) Course is not beginner friendly despite the shorter tees. There are simply too many difficult areas and tough holes for beginners to appreciate how great this course is.
7) I cannot comment on the bugs but others have said this course can be very buggy. I do not doubt this with the amount of water around this course.
8) In general the gold tees do not change the hole very much except addings distance. White tees also do not change much other than just begin shorter. The two water carries are changed dramtically however.
9) Pine needles can be very slippery, especially int he fairway and tees where you are generally throwing with a long runup.
Other Thoughts: This was a great county park and a wonderfully designed disc golf course. The property is pretty conducive to disc golf but could use a few things to improve it. I think concrete tees, consistant and complete tee signs would make this course a solid 4 in my mind because it is such a solid design and has constant challenge. The missing amenities and lack of elevation change are all that are keeping this from being higher than a 4. All in all I had a great time and feel like it is comparable to Tom Triplett mostly because of how well designed each hole is. I know this course will continue to improve and it is clear that it is well maintained already.
On pure design and challenge I give this course a 4 rating for sure and since it is failry new I am gonna leave the rating where it is at 4. I assume concrete may come up soon and hopefully be installed.