Marriottsville, MD
3 / 229ft.   4 / 482ft.   3 / 293ft.   4 / 546ft. Par / Distance:

Fun Course

1    6/1/2014   6/1/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: I played the Long Tee to the Long Pin so my review is based on that design. What a challenge it was to play the Green Monster. This course was truly par 4 golf. I would recommend only playing the long tees to the long pins if you are an experienced golfer. There was not one hole under 400 feet! This course is listed at par 64 but I would probably put it at a par 67. It was an awesome test of golf that you simply do not find that often. Kudos to the designer and the park for allowing this course to be put in. On a long course I like to have long tee pads and these were some of the biggest tee pads I can remember playing. I like to be tested on a disc golf course and this course really tested your distance and your ability to hold a line. The course also had some sneaky elevation by the basket that really added some extra challenge. I had a few 50 foot jump putts that I attempted - one went in and one went 40 feet by and the one that I missed hit the basket. It appeared that most holes had three tees and every hole had two baskets. There are not many courses in the country that can boast having two baskets on every hole while offering enough variation to make it a different feel with a different challenge. Even though this course is really long from the back tees, it offered some nice variety where you couldn't just grip it and rip it without consequences. Hole 2, for instance, was this way. Even though the hole was 423 feet the fairway was tight enough to give me pause about crushing my destroyer and trying to make a 2. I threw my Buzzz 340 feet and took my three and went to the next hole. Finally, kudos to the designer for getting the baskets to be different colors. With two baskets on each hole I think it was imperative to go with a different color for the long baskets.
Cons: I truly wanted to give this course a 4.5 rating. I truly did. I knocked the course down to a 4.0 because of navigation issues. Even though I had a very detailed map I was simply lost on a few holes. After hole 5 I played hole 7 thinking it was hole 6. I went back and played hole 6 and was scratching my head at the navigation. Hole 5 played along the road and then hole 6 went across a road and down the other way. Unfortunately none of the holes have signs on them. Most holes do include some directional signs for going to the next tee but a lot of the time you are "hoping" that you are playing the right hole because as I said...none of the holes have any type of sign. I thought about giving the course a 4.0 rating but the combination of the tee pads and the safety issues forced me to give this course a 3.5. The tee pads, while really big, are soft gravel. The addition of concrete would immediately raise this course up in my opinion. On the safety issue, this was two-fold. On many holes (at least six I can think of), the long basket finished down a hill about 150 feet past the short pin. You then had to walk back up the hill to get to the next hole. In my opinion this is a safety issue. If someone was playing behind you and didn't know you were there I could see someone getting hit. Even though the addition of the second basket on each hole is WONDERFUL, walking back up the same fairway is not ideal. The second safety issue were holes 4 and 9. 9 was actually one of my favorite holes but throwing across a road of which cars are constantly driving down is just not a good idea. Hole 9 is not as bad as hole 4 because the angle allows you to see the cars more easily. Hole 4 is unfortunately a very dangerous hole, in my opinion. Because the latter 250 feet play somewhat uphill, you simply cannot see if there are cars coming or not. This is simply not safe. I think this is easily solved by simply finishing this hole before the road. I think having a road cross a hole is okay if its at the beginning of the hole where you can easily see if a car is coming, but putting a road where cars travel 30MPM 300 feet from the teebox is simply not safe.
Other Thoughts: PLEASE NOTE: Please pay attention to the location of this course. If you type Patapsco Valley State Park in your GPS you will be out of luck. I would recommend punching in the latitude/longitude coordinates or using the address listed on the first page when getting to the course. In addition, it is imperative that you get a map from the ranger station. If you do not have a map you will not have any distances and you will not know where to go on some holes. Also please note this is a pay to play course. I think this is the future of disc golf and was okay to pay the fee. It was $5 because I was out of state but that probably keeps some of the chuckers off of the course. Some others have commented that it was $3 but they definitely charged me $5. It this course adds signs and concrete I would definitely raise my rating to a 4.0 and would even consider a 4.5.

Decent course

1    7/13/2013   7/13/2013
Review By: timray109
Pros: As I read in previous reviews, one of the main things you will definitely need is accuracy.This course is a great course that I will definitely come back to it time and time again. It was very challenging and fun at the same time. Whenever I made a bad drive, soon enough I would make a birdie, and I would be happy again. It also had a great variety of elevation changes and hole lengths. Price was alright, at 3 bucks a pop.
Cons: As a somewhat of a beginner, I found this course to be quite challenging. Narrow fairways and tight pin positions just add to the difficulty. I found myself having some drives off the tee that looked alright, but do to the tight fairways, seemed terrible. Out of the whole time I was there, I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking for discs, and it would've been more, had I not had friends to spot where my discs landed. And because disc golf is not played from the ground like regular golf, it would help if the "rough" wasn't so tall. That is where the bugs live! Directions were not too good, at numerous holes I could not find the next hole.

Patapsco picnic rounds

2-4    9/18/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: LukeButch
Pros: great terrain, rolling hills and woods with some open holes. mostly par 4 holes from long tees- green baskets. 2 baskets every hole. Awesome variety of shots off the tee and upshots.
Cons: too many par 3.5 holes forcing short drives to set up 2nd shot, with no risk/reward option.
Other Thoughts: wish they opened up some of the wooded holes slightly so the tweener holes would be closer to tough par 3s than easy par 4s

great course

5+    10/25/2010   2/27/2011
Review By: aDedhed
Pros: potapsco is a very long technical course that i love to go to. it challenges me everytime i go, well it wants me to type more so im just gonna say LOVE POTAPSCO!!!
Cons: all the trees i hit at potapsco. but i always seem to hit trees. all kinds of trees that is :)

Challenging

5+    10/21/2008   8/8/2009
Review By: GroundHog
Pros: Lovely setting.
Black walnuts available for the gathering in season.
Parking convenient to midpoint & end of course.
Cons: Used to be, one could get in free on weekdays.
Disc loss potential.
Certainly a compromise could be reached for widening the mowing of high grass; perhaps a a few more meters on either side of the pertinent fairways at an in-between growth height.
Watch your step for stumplets in some spots. .
Other Thoughts: Pin location of Hole 18 can be scouted when driving Hole 10.

Will be great

1    7/22/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Great holes with lots of variety. Good use of elevation, tress, rocks, creeks, and everything else they could squeeze in. Woods and open fairways. Some holes that are real challenging. Bad shots can cost you.
Cons: New pads under construction. Needs signs to navigate course. Layout is a little tricky. Some holes cross each other and some backtracking required to find next hole. Back nine has a couple straight boring holes. They could use a hazard or tree to make the shot tougher. Some baskets are hard to see. Maybe something bright on basket would make it easier to see.
Other Thoughts: When new pads are done this course is easily a 4. Put some signs up and tweak a few holes and it's as good as it gets. A must play if you are in MD. Play Seneca and Rockburn also and you couldn't ask for a better day.

Great course: Tough but Fair

1    5/22/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: BeauRoch
Pros: Great layout. Good mixture of shots needed to play this course.
Cons: Signs or arrows to next tee box are needed as well as a more accurate course map.
Other Thoughts: Loved playing the course but found it frustrating when getting to the next tee box wasn't obvious and worse was trying to find the basket to throw to.

punisher

2-4    5/21/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: brian j
Pros: very technical course with a great layout. most of the holes are in the woods and require you to hit your lines. the designer did a great job of utilizing all the elevation changes in the park.

multiple tee and pin positions for each hole. when i played all even holes where in the short pin position and all the odds were in the long position. and when the say long they mean loooooong.

the park is also very well maintained. the field holes were mowed and i don't think i saw any poison ivy which is a miracle in the mid-atlantic area in may.
Cons: as has already been mentioned concrete or flypads would be nice. i didn't encounter any mud but the tees are starting to get depressions near the front. also there is very little signage and some sort of direction to the next tee is needed. i almost quit trying to find hole 11 my first time through.
Other Thoughts: patapsco hosts a tournament called the patapsco punisher and i can see why the call it that. with better teepads and some signs this course would easly rank 4 discs. add another 9 holes (there appears to be plenty of room) and it would easly be a 5.

Super fun course

2-4    5/9/2009   5/9/2009
Review By: Scoopy
Pros: Beautiful park, great scenery, elevation changes, multiple pads/pin locations, east to navigate, get to use all your shots on this course
Cons: natural t-pads, no signs, throwing across the roads, pay to play
Other Thoughts: Overall I thought this was a fantastic course!! Great mix of shots with lots of elevation changes. I played the short t's first round to get a feel of the course, then threw from the long. Had a blast.. Defintely was worth the trip. Map with scorecard on back available at the gate

Solid, but...

1    2/21/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: kcbrez009
Pros: Nice variety. Holes in the woods, holes on the edge of the woods, holes in the open. The lay of the land is fun. There are no flat holes on this course; you're either going uphill or downhill on every shot.

The layout is very clever and challenging.

The two sets of tees offer some variety.

Nice baskets. Many of those that aren't visible from the tee are marked with neon green poles that reach 12-15 feet in height.

The course is nicely maintained, and it seems like the locals care about the course. I didn't see a single trash can on the course, but I didn't see a single piece of litter, either.

Plenty of parking near the first tee.

The course is in a "no pets" area, so you won't step in any dog crap.

It appeared that there were multiple pin placements for each basket.

There are plenty of picnic areas nearby, and there is an outdoor barbecue area with a stone fire pit. Very cool.

The drive to the course is gorgeous. Beautiful country scenery.
Cons: The course is not well-marked.

At each tee, there is a small piece of wood that can't be seen from far away, maybe 6 inches high, with the hole number and an arrow. The arrow is supposed to tell you which way the hole generally moves (straight, left-to-right, right-to-left), but they weren't always right.

There are no distances marked on the course.

There is no marking on the baskets for where the next tee is. As I mentioned, the tee markings are tough to see from far away, and in hilly areas, it took us awhile to find the next tee more than once.

The tees are "natural," which means they suck. Some of them had cinders, which in the late winter means they were muddy AND cinder-y. Strangely, it hadn't been raining and the rest of the course was pretty dry.

The course is in a "no pets" area, so you can't bring Fido if you like to do that.

I mentioned that you won't step in any dog crap, but I stepped in enough deer crap to surmise that the local deer population celebrates Thanksgiving in February.

There were signs posted about rabid raccoons, and sure enough we saw one out in broad daylight that could barely stand up. We tried to call the park ranger and got the voicemail... nobody home, I guess.
Other Thoughts: I usually like to mention some place good to eat in the area, but this course is in the middle of nowhere. Since I played with my sister and brother-in-law who live in Laurel which is fifteen minutes away, we ate at a place down there called the Wild Buffalo Grill. We'd never been there, and they tell me it's always packed at dinner time, which led us to believe the food was good. We were correct. The buffalo chicken was really good, and the onion rings were the best I'd ever had. My sister had a really good chicken salad, and my brother-in-law (a pulled pork connoisseur) said his was the second best pulled pork sandwich he'd ever had next to my mother's, which is truly untouchable. The bar had a bunch of different types of beer I'd never heard of on draft - which is always cool - as well as some old standbys, like Bud and Guinness. It's not a fancy joint. Some locals were there to watch the Maryland-UNC basketball game. It's not something I'm used to here on the east coast. It was more like something out of suburban Cleveland where I grew up - a local mom and pop bar halfway between dive bar and greasy spoon cafe. Clean but not fancy, friendly but not 5-star service. I left happy, full, and looking forward to returning.