Marriottsville, MD
Patapsco Valley State Park Share
3 / 250ft.   3 / 366ft.   3 / 358ft.   3 / 474ft. Par / Distance:

Patapsco Gives You Options!

1    7/17/2013   8/21/2013
Pros: With two pads and two baskets per hole, Patapaso Valley DGC always give the player the option of playing the easier layout or the more challenging Green Monster or something in between. On a long hard day of disc, playing along I chose the short to short route but wasn't always sure which basket or tee pad I was using. They're not all that clearly marked.

The park is a lovely piece of greenery with rolling elevation. Fairways are mowed with the fringe roughs usually just taller grass with the true rough a thicker mass of bushes.

The courses forces you to throw accurately less you find yourself finding time looking for your disc. I did appreciate the variety of hole length and also the nice combo of lefty and righty balanced holes.

The tee pads were extra large but filled with sand. They tend to get rutted and are problematic when wet.

Cons: Playing alone, the navigation issue with the lack of signage was kind of annoying. I had to wander ahead at times to figure out which basket I was throwing at.

I'm not a fan of the sand filled tee pads.

$3 to enter the park for out of state isn't too bad. But it's not a PRO either.

Other Thoughts: With the combination of two tee pads and two baskets for each hole giving players four distinct challenges here at this beautiful park, it makes Patapaso Valley a top notch course to visit time and time again. I would have loved to have had the time to played all four options. Maybe I'll get a chance some time in my future.

Frying Eggs While Sleepwalking

1    1/23/2011   10/23/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 105

A very enjoyable course - not one of those that blows me out of the water, just one that leaves a very pleasant taste in my mouth. It accomplishes this with well defined fairways, a variety of shots needed on each hole, good elevation and differing lengths of holes. Never did I approach a hole with an "oh, this hole again" feeling, rather an "alright, a new challenge," from long bombs to shorter technical holes makes for an overall well rounded course.

I definitely recommend this course, it was nice to have a guide, it's definitely one of those courses where some local knowledge helps. If possible you might want to find a local to show you around. Though I'm sure with a map I could have experienced this course solo just fine. If you're planning a trip through the area, make the stop, but I wouldn't necessarily make this a destination area with better options nearby.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.
~The main thing I ask myself is "Does this course make me want to come back?" if the answer is yes, it makes the list.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

My favorite course yet.

2-4    5/24/2012   5/24/2012
Review By: beagle757
Pros: Nice variety of holes; you have a chance for long distance throws down a fairway, as well as threading trees (fairways are favored however). There are two skill levels of baskets and tees, so players both new and experienced can be challenged. Park is very well kept.
Cons: Admission fee is somewhat irksome, but not unreasonable. WARNING: the fee changes from 2$ per car on weekdays to 3$ per person on weekends, so be ready.

Really fun course

1    10/18/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: mikeyg
Pros: The course had a really nice layout with a wide variety of throws required. There were a lot of well protected baskets without any heavily wooded "pinball" holes. Good use of elevation and overall a beautiful park. The park was also very well maintained. Two tees and two pins on each hole, good variety. Tee boxes were all really big also
Cons: The main con and the reason that this course only gets a 4 from me instead of a 4.5 is the lack of good signs. Most tees had only a small wooden stump with the hole number and some didn't even have that. If I hadn't taken a picture on my iPhone of the course map posted near the parking lot I would have had a very difficult time navigating. Even with the pic I didn't know how long holes were which, while not necessary, is better than estimating. I have no problem with courses in pay to play parks. I feel good about contributing to the courses. However, with some money coming in for the course, the signs should be much better.

Options

1    8/23/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large park with well used rolling elevation changes. Many holes use the hills to add challenge and variety. There is a nice mix of a few field type holes with some rough and protected pins in play and lots of technical shots. There are two tees and two pins on every hole, most of which change up the shot length and shape quite a bit. This makes for lots of options on how to play the course with 4 distinct shots on every hole, offering appropriate challenges for different levels of players.

There is a really nice balance of hole shapes here, with a mix of left and right turning wooded holes and some shots that offer multiple lines. There is also a nice mix of hole lengths with the different tees and pins, the shortest layout offers some fun ace run shots, and the longest layout has lots of holes requiring long accurate drives. The park was nicely maintained when I played, with all the fairways mowed and cleared. The course loops back to the parking lot at 9, always a nice bonus when the land allows that design feature.
Cons: The tees were a little frustrating here after a recent rain. They seemed like they'd be fine when dry, but most had minor ruts and depressions that held water and turned the tees into muddy puddles. Signage is lacking here, both at the tees and between holes. Many holes are blind and you have to walk them to know where to throw and guess at the distances. There are some navigation issues as well, especially with tees that aren't always numbered. Some roads come into play throughout the course taking away from the natural feel and potentially causing safety issues.
Other Thoughts: The design of this course is great, especially with two pins and two tees. Every combination seemed to be a solid hole, a lot of thought went into this layout and it's cool to see that level of commitment by the locals and the park. The longest layout offers a great challenge to experienced players that tests all kinds of shots. The shortest layout is accessible to newer players, though it still has enough length and rough to potentially frustrate inaccurate throwers. The replay value is great here, with 4 levels of difficulty to choose from on every hole and beautiful wooded scenery.

Green Monsters

1    9/26/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: LukeMetz
Pros: This course has a great mix of open holes, technical wooded holes and elevation change. I was sceptical about the tee pads at first but after using them, I realized that they are perfect.
Cons: Playing the back tees to the Green baskets: all these baskets seem to be heavily guarded. a great drive left me with questionable up shots.
Other Thoughts: Its possible to 3 every hole in long locations. 2s are harder to come by.

Go visit Baltimore disc golfers!

5+    10/22/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: Spartan
Pros: There are a lot of Pros. Great changes in elevation and a good mix between wooded and open holes. Tees are set for beginners and seasoned players. Holes are generally easy to find but a map can be obtained from the entrance in the parking lot.
Cons: The first time I played, it was hard finding the holes so I would suggest getting a map or printing one out from Google. The baskets are hard to find as well for first timers without a map. The closest baskets are generally in plain sight but the champion baskets (which are the ones you want to play) are almost never in sight from the tee. Hole 12 can be a little tricky for beginners and i would suggest throwing the the right of the basket otherwise you might spend some time hiking down a steep hill looking for your disc!
Other Thoughts: Over all, one of my favorite courses from Maryland or Michigan. I highly suggest playing at this course. The holes are made to be challenging for any level and also fun at any level. So go check it out! Also.....check out my group Baltimore disc golfers on this website and join if you're interested in playing with new people!

1st Time

1    11/6/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: B Trizzle
Pros: Great tee boxes, multiple baskets. Green baskets are nicely placed in more challenging areas. The park is pretty wide open, not a lot of places to loose your disc. There were only 3 other players on the course and they didnt arrive untile I was on hole 17.
Cons: Not clear on parking, park in the middle otherwise its a long walk back to your car. Some holes are too direct, not much of a challenge on some of the A pins.
Other Thoughts: I played from the red tees to the A pins, it was my first time at this course and only my 3rd time playing. I'll try the blues next time and a diff pin.

Balanced and Better!

1    8/17/2009   9/9/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 10/12/2009
Pros: SMOOTH FLAT CRUSHED GRAVEL TEES! Sorry for the screamer but please disregard all prior ratings that dissed this course for poor tees. Course has large perfect tees now! I was mostly impressed with the variety here. A few tight holes, A few open holes, and best of all there are 6 absolutely wonderful holes here:
#3 Starts as a field hole but after a precise drive dips into a wooded nook with trees and elevation all around
#8 A fun downhill and then uphill hyzer through the woods...a great Eastern hardwood hole
#9 A slightly downhill drive to a protected wooded bouldered green
#15 A downhill drive to a very fast green sloping fast in the woods below
#17 A wonderful woods hole that if played properly yields par but can be problematic due to the slope hard to the left.....I'd imagine a make or break your round hole.
#18 Another open field blast to a wooded area with protected hillside pin placememnts
The other holes are no slouches either...7 is a long wooded adventure,11 is a completely wide open hole that allows you to rip and play the wind, 12 and 13 have a cliff lurking to the left of fairway, all of the other holes are solid...no poor holes here. I really enjoyed the open holes after the tighter holes and vice/versa. Nice locals, Nice Park, Nice Time out there! This course provides beginners and experts with a fun time. Due to the challenge and variety I never felt bored here.
Cons: Its true 14 and 16 seem like twins. Navigation was an issue for me..there is no map on site and it's not clearly marked..I hooked up with locals thankfully. Get a map beforehand. Beware the course plays near/over access roads at some points. Pay to play, but it seems worth it for this course.
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyed this course....The variety of terrain and the improved tees put it into the elite territory for me. Certainly worth the trip from PA for me. Tee #1 is to the left of the access road and plays towards the baseball diamond...from there scout ahead and pay attention....Course really needs to be better marked.

Marvellous!

1    4/11/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Absolutely gorgeous layout in a diverse terrain of hardwoods and open fields, this layout will challenge your game to a high level. Features dual amateur and pro teepads and three rotating pin placements per hole. The pins were mostly in C (long) when I played on beautiful spring day (all alone!) Fairways vary in width, but most were long enough to make for several honest par 4's to push this into the future of disc golf. Control is the key on most holes or the strokes start piling up. The park is well-maintained and very clean. And the 9th hole nicely circles back to the parking lot. Restroom facilities off hole #4.
Cons: The only things holding this course back from being absolute top notch are a few important matters.
1.) Teepads are not permanent - I played after it had been raining all day and the cinder boxes were marginally slick.
The pro tee pads were less rutty than the shorts (which frequently had puddles in them.

2.) Signage lacking/ poor navigation. No maps were available at the kiosk, and no map on the kiosk. I was lucky I had printed a map or I would have had trouble finding tee # 1 and a few other holes on the course. Some "next tee" signs would have been helpful too.

3.) Teepads had posts with the hole # but no yardage posted, and no indication of which pin placement was in. Signs would be really nice.

4.) Dangerous placement of several tee pads

Tee #2 vulnerable to a blind approach on hole #1
Tee #3 VERY vulnerable to drives from #1
Holes 14-16 all are dangerously close to the shanks from their neighbors.

I think that courses with multiple pins should follow PA course Tyler St. Park's example- put a little rotating dial which indicates which position the pin is in. It can save some walking and guessing, especially when it comes to doglegs and really long holes
Other Thoughts: Despite the cons, I rated this course high, because it is very FUN, challenging and scenic. The cons are minor in comparison to these factors!