Marriottsville, MD
Patapsco Valley State Park Share
3 / 250ft.   3 / 366ft.   3 / 358ft.   3 / 474ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Patapsco Gives You Options!

1    7/17/2013   8/21/2013
Pros: With two pads and two baskets per hole, Patapaso Valley DGC always give the player the option of playing the easier layout or the more challenging Green Monster or something in between. On a long hard day of disc, playing along I chose the short to short route but wasn't always sure which basket or tee pad I was using. They're not all that clearly marked.

The park is a lovely piece of greenery with rolling elevation. Fairways are mowed with the fringe roughs usually just taller grass with the true rough a thicker mass of bushes.

The courses forces you to throw accurately less you find yourself finding time looking for your disc. I did appreciate the variety of hole length and also the nice combo of lefty and righty balanced holes.

The tee pads were extra large but filled with sand. They tend to get rutted and are problematic when wet.

Cons: Playing alone, the navigation issue with the lack of signage was kind of annoying. I had to wander ahead at times to figure out which basket I was throwing at.

I'm not a fan of the sand filled tee pads.

$3 to enter the park for out of state isn't too bad. But it's not a PRO either.

Other Thoughts: With the combination of two tee pads and two baskets for each hole giving players four distinct challenges here at this beautiful park, it makes Patapaso Valley a top notch course to visit time and time again. I would have loved to have had the time to played all four options. Maybe I'll get a chance some time in my future.

Decent course

1    7/13/2013   7/13/2013
Review By: timray109
Pros: As I read in previous reviews, one of the main things you will definitely need is accuracy.This course is a great course that I will definitely come back to it time and time again. It was very challenging and fun at the same time. Whenever I made a bad drive, soon enough I would make a birdie, and I would be happy again. It also had a great variety of elevation changes and hole lengths. Price was alright, at 3 bucks a pop.
Cons: As a somewhat of a beginner, I found this course to be quite challenging. Narrow fairways and tight pin positions just add to the difficulty. I found myself having some drives off the tee that looked alright, but do to the tight fairways, seemed terrible. Out of the whole time I was there, I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking for discs, and it would've been more, had I not had friends to spot where my discs landed. And because disc golf is not played from the ground like regular golf, it would help if the "rough" wasn't so tall. That is where the bugs live! Directions were not too good, at numerous holes I could not find the next hole.

Frying Eggs While Sleepwalking

1    1/23/2011   10/23/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 105

A very enjoyable course - not one of those that blows me out of the water, just one that leaves a very pleasant taste in my mouth. It accomplishes this with well defined fairways, a variety of shots needed on each hole, good elevation and differing lengths of holes. Never did I approach a hole with an "oh, this hole again" feeling, rather an "alright, a new challenge," from long bombs to shorter technical holes makes for an overall well rounded course.

I definitely recommend this course, it was nice to have a guide, it's definitely one of those courses where some local knowledge helps. If possible you might want to find a local to show you around. Though I'm sure with a map I could have experienced this course solo just fine. If you're planning a trip through the area, make the stop, but I wouldn't necessarily make this a destination area with better options nearby.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.
~The main thing I ask myself is "Does this course make me want to come back?" if the answer is yes, it makes the list.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

My favorite course yet.

2-4    5/24/2012   5/24/2012
Review By: beagle757
Pros: Nice variety of holes; you have a chance for long distance throws down a fairway, as well as threading trees (fairways are favored however). There are two skill levels of baskets and tees, so players both new and experienced can be challenged. Park is very well kept.
Cons: Admission fee is somewhat irksome, but not unreasonable. WARNING: the fee changes from 2$ per car on weekdays to 3$ per person on weekends, so be ready.

Really fun course

1    10/18/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: mikeyg
Pros: The course had a really nice layout with a wide variety of throws required. There were a lot of well protected baskets without any heavily wooded "pinball" holes. Good use of elevation and overall a beautiful park. The park was also very well maintained. Two tees and two pins on each hole, good variety. Tee boxes were all really big also
Cons: The main con and the reason that this course only gets a 4 from me instead of a 4.5 is the lack of good signs. Most tees had only a small wooden stump with the hole number and some didn't even have that. If I hadn't taken a picture on my iPhone of the course map posted near the parking lot I would have had a very difficult time navigating. Even with the pic I didn't know how long holes were which, while not necessary, is better than estimating. I have no problem with courses in pay to play parks. I feel good about contributing to the courses. However, with some money coming in for the course, the signs should be much better.

Options

1    8/23/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large park with well used rolling elevation changes. Many holes use the hills to add challenge and variety. There is a nice mix of a few field type holes with some rough and protected pins in play and lots of technical shots. There are two tees and two pins on every hole, most of which change up the shot length and shape quite a bit. This makes for lots of options on how to play the course with 4 distinct shots on every hole, offering appropriate challenges for different levels of players.

There is a really nice balance of hole shapes here, with a mix of left and right turning wooded holes and some shots that offer multiple lines. There is also a nice mix of hole lengths with the different tees and pins, the shortest layout offers some fun ace run shots, and the longest layout has lots of holes requiring long accurate drives. The park was nicely maintained when I played, with all the fairways mowed and cleared. The course loops back to the parking lot at 9, always a nice bonus when the land allows that design feature.
Cons: The tees were a little frustrating here after a recent rain. They seemed like they'd be fine when dry, but most had minor ruts and depressions that held water and turned the tees into muddy puddles. Signage is lacking here, both at the tees and between holes. Many holes are blind and you have to walk them to know where to throw and guess at the distances. There are some navigation issues as well, especially with tees that aren't always numbered. Some roads come into play throughout the course taking away from the natural feel and potentially causing safety issues.
Other Thoughts: The design of this course is great, especially with two pins and two tees. Every combination seemed to be a solid hole, a lot of thought went into this layout and it's cool to see that level of commitment by the locals and the park. The longest layout offers a great challenge to experienced players that tests all kinds of shots. The shortest layout is accessible to newer players, though it still has enough length and rough to potentially frustrate inaccurate throwers. The replay value is great here, with 4 levels of difficulty to choose from on every hole and beautiful wooded scenery.

Green Monsters

1    9/26/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: LukeMetz
Pros: This course has a great mix of open holes, technical wooded holes and elevation change. I was sceptical about the tee pads at first but after using them, I realized that they are perfect.
Cons: Playing the back tees to the Green baskets: all these baskets seem to be heavily guarded. a great drive left me with questionable up shots.
Other Thoughts: Its possible to 3 every hole in long locations. 2s are harder to come by.

Patapsco picnic rounds

2-4    9/18/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: LukeButch
Pros: great terrain, rolling hills and woods with some open holes. mostly par 4 holes from long tees- green baskets. 2 baskets every hole. Awesome variety of shots off the tee and upshots.
Cons: too many par 3.5 holes forcing short drives to set up 2nd shot, with no risk/reward option.
Other Thoughts: wish they opened up some of the wooded holes slightly so the tweener holes would be closer to tough par 3s than easy par 4s

World Class

5+    5/26/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: The otto
Pros: Everything you're looking for in a par-72 course. Elevation change, open looks, tight lines - this course requires a mastery of almost every type of shot. Each hole now has 2 permanent tee pads, which are framed in and feature crushed aggregate stone. Each hole also has a short position, which are moved throughout the year, and a permanent long set up, known as the "Green Monster" as the long baskets are powder coated a flourescent green.
Cons: I've been playing this course for years, but I would imagine that finding one's way around for the first time could be rather difficult. Ticks/gnats can be annoying, so plan for them accordingly. $2 per person entry fee, but that's common for all MD state parks.
Other Thoughts: This course has something for everyone. Amateurs can play short to short, pros can play the green monster. The course is about a 40 min drive from downtown Baltimore.

Favorite Course

5+    5/26/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: sheepforwheat
Pros: This is my favorite course in maryland. It is extremely well kept, and the baskets stay in place so that I can compare my scores and actually see my improvement.
Cons: dogs must be leashed. Costs money to get in to the park.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5