Marriottsville, MD

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Pattatat Sco Field

1    6/9/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Patapsco plays through a state park which gives you multiple landscape elements. The course offers two permanent pads and pins so each hole has four ways to play it. For the purpose of this review we played all long pads and a mixture of long and short pins; however i did see all of the long pins.

The course starts off in more of a park style area with more open/sparse tree type holes playing near other park features. It crosses a park road and goes in to the woods where some more technical holes and sharper elevation changes start to come in to play. The front nine rounds back to the parking lot and the back 9 plays out through a more rolling hills open pasture area with larger trees coming in to play.

The long course (long pads to long pins) dubbed the green monster shells out an extremely challenging gold level beating. Most holes from the long pad uses longer distances to help create challenge however the long pins are usually backed up/tucked in a tight corner or area that is very hard to access off the tee or on approach.

I like how the course is balanced in terms of hole type. I don't think it's a course that makes you use a lot of imagination or a large repetoire of shots. It's more the this is the line hit it or don't type in the more technical areas. When you get to the more open holes you have more of a variety of options due to the space but from the long pads you mostly just need to be able to be accurate over large distances.

Solid rolling hill type elevation changes throughout the course that help create challenge. There's some holes that make you throw really straight going up or down which isn't easy. Some of the green areas are positioned on sharper and quicker elevation changes which can offer up some challenging putts.

There's a few really awesome holes here that make it easy to see why it's a favorite in the area. The finishing hole is especially awesome and a great way to end the round. Big downhill bomb that starts in the open and goes down in to the trees where the green is situated.

Equipment - - The pads are crush and run and large, really nice size wise. The baskets are in good shape and caught well. The long and short pins are different colors so you can distinguish which is which. There's a course map at the beginning you'll want to examine if not take a picture of if you didn't bring a map.

Atmosphere - A little over half the holes are in a more secluded area away from other park activities and roads. Overall the park is nice and well maintained. Not overly scenic but more of a nice quaint little area.
Cons: Layout - There's no huge problems with the course overall. I think the first few holes that are in the more shared area of the park are a bit on the boring side and not as interesting. A few of the more open holes on the back 9 are to open for my taste as well.

I do think the challenge on some of green monster seem to be created through overly tight approaches or basket locations that aren't really all that accessible off the tee. It is meant for gold level players but in some cases even if you have the distance to get there you'd need an almost perfect shot to be inside the circle.

The park roads come in close proximity to a few holes and in some cases some blind situations where you can't really tell if a car is coming when you're throwing near or across the road.

The flow of the course can be confusing in some places due to backtracking and long walks. This is compounded by the lack of teesigns on the course so you basically have no real idea where you're throwing in a few places. The shorter pins are usually easier to see but the long pins are green and blend in so you basically need to know where the are before teeing off. That got annoying so we started to play the shorter pins in some cases.

Another thing I noticed is that on some holes the long and short pins weren't that far apart and didn't create much of a difference in hole difficulty. I enjoy courses that offer multiple permanent pin placements but in some cases you have to ask what's the point if they're going to be not that much different.

Equipment - As stated above there are no teesigns for each hole and to me this is a huge drawback to the course for out of towners who don't know the layout. We would of liked to play all of the long pins but in some cases you just couldn't figure out where they were unless you walked more than halfway down the fairway.

Atmosphere - It's not the most scenic or remote course and that takes away from the experience a bit. It just doesn't have the wow factor truly great courses have.
Other Thoughts: Patapsco is a really solid course and definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. If you want a challenge the green monster will definitely deliver but the option of playing shorter pads or pins makes this course playable by a lot of different skill levels.

Fun Course

1    6/1/2014   6/1/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: I played the Long Tee to the Long Pin so my review is based on that design. What a challenge it was to play the Green Monster. This course was truly par 4 golf. I would recommend only playing the long tees to the long pins if you are an experienced golfer. There was not one hole under 400 feet! This course is listed at par 64 but I would probably put it at a par 67. It was an awesome test of golf that you simply do not find that often. Kudos to the designer and the park for allowing this course to be put in. On a long course I like to have long tee pads and these were some of the biggest tee pads I can remember playing. I like to be tested on a disc golf course and this course really tested your distance and your ability to hold a line. The course also had some sneaky elevation by the basket that really added some extra challenge. I had a few 50 foot jump putts that I attempted - one went in and one went 40 feet by and the one that I missed hit the basket. It appeared that most holes had three tees and every hole had two baskets. There are not many courses in the country that can boast having two baskets on every hole while offering enough variation to make it a different feel with a different challenge. Even though this course is really long from the back tees, it offered some nice variety where you couldn't just grip it and rip it without consequences. Hole 2, for instance, was this way. Even though the hole was 423 feet the fairway was tight enough to give me pause about crushing my destroyer and trying to make a 2. I threw my Buzzz 340 feet and took my three and went to the next hole. Finally, kudos to the designer for getting the baskets to be different colors. With two baskets on each hole I think it was imperative to go with a different color for the long baskets.
Cons: I truly wanted to give this course a 4.5 rating. I truly did. I knocked the course down to a 4.0 because of navigation issues. Even though I had a very detailed map I was simply lost on a few holes. After hole 5 I played hole 7 thinking it was hole 6. I went back and played hole 6 and was scratching my head at the navigation. Hole 5 played along the road and then hole 6 went across a road and down the other way. Unfortunately none of the holes have signs on them. Most holes do include some directional signs for going to the next tee but a lot of the time you are "hoping" that you are playing the right hole because as I said...none of the holes have any type of sign. I thought about giving the course a 4.0 rating but the combination of the tee pads and the safety issues forced me to give this course a 3.5. The tee pads, while really big, are soft gravel. The addition of concrete would immediately raise this course up in my opinion. On the safety issue, this was two-fold. On many holes (at least six I can think of), the long basket finished down a hill about 150 feet past the short pin. You then had to walk back up the hill to get to the next hole. In my opinion this is a safety issue. If someone was playing behind you and didn't know you were there I could see someone getting hit. Even though the addition of the second basket on each hole is WONDERFUL, walking back up the same fairway is not ideal. The second safety issue were holes 4 and 9. 9 was actually one of my favorite holes but throwing across a road of which cars are constantly driving down is just not a good idea. Hole 9 is not as bad as hole 4 because the angle allows you to see the cars more easily. Hole 4 is unfortunately a very dangerous hole, in my opinion. Because the latter 250 feet play somewhat uphill, you simply cannot see if there are cars coming or not. This is simply not safe. I think this is easily solved by simply finishing this hole before the road. I think having a road cross a hole is okay if its at the beginning of the hole where you can easily see if a car is coming, but putting a road where cars travel 30MPM 300 feet from the teebox is simply not safe.
Other Thoughts: PLEASE NOTE: Please pay attention to the location of this course. If you type Patapsco Valley State Park in your GPS you will be out of luck. I would recommend punching in the latitude/longitude coordinates or using the address listed on the first page when getting to the course. In addition, it is imperative that you get a map from the ranger station. If you do not have a map you will not have any distances and you will not know where to go on some holes. Also please note this is a pay to play course. I think this is the future of disc golf and was okay to pay the fee. It was $5 because I was out of state but that probably keeps some of the chuckers off of the course. Some others have commented that it was $3 but they definitely charged me $5. It this course adds signs and concrete I would definitely raise my rating to a 4.0 and would even consider a 4.5.

Patapsco Gives You Options!

1    7/17/2013   8/21/2013
Pros: With two pads and two baskets per hole, Patapaso Valley DGC always give the player the option of playing the easier layout or the more challenging Green Monster or something in between. On a long hard day of disc, playing along I chose the short to short route but wasn't always sure which basket or tee pad I was using. They're not all that clearly marked.

The park is a lovely piece of greenery with rolling elevation. Fairways are mowed with the fringe roughs usually just taller grass with the true rough a thicker mass of bushes.

The courses forces you to throw accurately less you find yourself finding time looking for your disc. I did appreciate the variety of hole length and also the nice combo of lefty and righty balanced holes.

The tee pads were extra large but filled with sand. They tend to get rutted and are problematic when wet.

Cons: Playing alone, the navigation issue with the lack of signage was kind of annoying. I had to wander ahead at times to figure out which basket I was throwing at.

I'm not a fan of the sand filled tee pads.

$3 to enter the park for out of state isn't too bad. But it's not a PRO either.

Other Thoughts: With the combination of two tee pads and two baskets for each hole giving players four distinct challenges here at this beautiful park, it makes Patapaso Valley a top notch course to visit time and time again. I would have loved to have had the time to played all four options. Maybe I'll get a chance some time in my future.

Decent course

1    7/13/2013   7/13/2013
Review By: timray109
Pros: As I read in previous reviews, one of the main things you will definitely need is accuracy.This course is a great course that I will definitely come back to it time and time again. It was very challenging and fun at the same time. Whenever I made a bad drive, soon enough I would make a birdie, and I would be happy again. It also had a great variety of elevation changes and hole lengths. Price was alright, at 3 bucks a pop.
Cons: As a somewhat of a beginner, I found this course to be quite challenging. Narrow fairways and tight pin positions just add to the difficulty. I found myself having some drives off the tee that looked alright, but do to the tight fairways, seemed terrible. Out of the whole time I was there, I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking for discs, and it would've been more, had I not had friends to spot where my discs landed. And because disc golf is not played from the ground like regular golf, it would help if the "rough" wasn't so tall. That is where the bugs live! Directions were not too good, at numerous holes I could not find the next hole.

Frying Eggs While Sleepwalking

1    1/23/2011   10/23/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 105

A very enjoyable course - not one of those that blows me out of the water, just one that leaves a very pleasant taste in my mouth. It accomplishes this with well defined fairways, a variety of shots needed on each hole, good elevation and differing lengths of holes. Never did I approach a hole with an "oh, this hole again" feeling, rather an "alright, a new challenge," from long bombs to shorter technical holes makes for an overall well rounded course.

I definitely recommend this course, it was nice to have a guide, it's definitely one of those courses where some local knowledge helps. If possible you might want to find a local to show you around. Though I'm sure with a map I could have experienced this course solo just fine. If you're planning a trip through the area, make the stop, but I wouldn't necessarily make this a destination area with better options nearby.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.
~The main thing I ask myself is "Does this course make me want to come back?" if the answer is yes, it makes the list.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

My favorite course yet.

2-4    5/24/2012   5/24/2012
Review By: beagle757
Pros: Nice variety of holes; you have a chance for long distance throws down a fairway, as well as threading trees (fairways are favored however). There are two skill levels of baskets and tees, so players both new and experienced can be challenged. Park is very well kept.
Cons: Admission fee is somewhat irksome, but not unreasonable. WARNING: the fee changes from 2$ per car on weekdays to 3$ per person on weekends, so be ready.

Really fun course

1    10/18/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: mikeyg
Pros: The course had a really nice layout with a wide variety of throws required. There were a lot of well protected baskets without any heavily wooded "pinball" holes. Good use of elevation and overall a beautiful park. The park was also very well maintained. Two tees and two pins on each hole, good variety. Tee boxes were all really big also
Cons: The main con and the reason that this course only gets a 4 from me instead of a 4.5 is the lack of good signs. Most tees had only a small wooden stump with the hole number and some didn't even have that. If I hadn't taken a picture on my iPhone of the course map posted near the parking lot I would have had a very difficult time navigating. Even with the pic I didn't know how long holes were which, while not necessary, is better than estimating. I have no problem with courses in pay to play parks. I feel good about contributing to the courses. However, with some money coming in for the course, the signs should be much better.

Options

1    8/23/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large park with well used rolling elevation changes. Many holes use the hills to add challenge and variety. There is a nice mix of a few field type holes with some rough and protected pins in play and lots of technical shots. There are two tees and two pins on every hole, most of which change up the shot length and shape quite a bit. This makes for lots of options on how to play the course with 4 distinct shots on every hole, offering appropriate challenges for different levels of players.

There is a really nice balance of hole shapes here, with a mix of left and right turning wooded holes and some shots that offer multiple lines. There is also a nice mix of hole lengths with the different tees and pins, the shortest layout offers some fun ace run shots, and the longest layout has lots of holes requiring long accurate drives. The park was nicely maintained when I played, with all the fairways mowed and cleared. The course loops back to the parking lot at 9, always a nice bonus when the land allows that design feature.
Cons: The tees were a little frustrating here after a recent rain. They seemed like they'd be fine when dry, but most had minor ruts and depressions that held water and turned the tees into muddy puddles. Signage is lacking here, both at the tees and between holes. Many holes are blind and you have to walk them to know where to throw and guess at the distances. There are some navigation issues as well, especially with tees that aren't always numbered. Some roads come into play throughout the course taking away from the natural feel and potentially causing safety issues.
Other Thoughts: The design of this course is great, especially with two pins and two tees. Every combination seemed to be a solid hole, a lot of thought went into this layout and it's cool to see that level of commitment by the locals and the park. The longest layout offers a great challenge to experienced players that tests all kinds of shots. The shortest layout is accessible to newer players, though it still has enough length and rough to potentially frustrate inaccurate throwers. The replay value is great here, with 4 levels of difficulty to choose from on every hole and beautiful wooded scenery.

Green Monsters

1    9/26/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: LukeMetz
Pros: This course has a great mix of open holes, technical wooded holes and elevation change. I was sceptical about the tee pads at first but after using them, I realized that they are perfect.
Cons: Playing the back tees to the Green baskets: all these baskets seem to be heavily guarded. a great drive left me with questionable up shots.
Other Thoughts: Its possible to 3 every hole in long locations. 2s are harder to come by.

Patapsco picnic rounds

2-4    9/18/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: LukeButch
Pros: great terrain, rolling hills and woods with some open holes. mostly par 4 holes from long tees- green baskets. 2 baskets every hole. Awesome variety of shots off the tee and upshots.
Cons: too many par 3.5 holes forcing short drives to set up 2nd shot, with no risk/reward option.
Other Thoughts: wish they opened up some of the wooded holes slightly so the tweener holes would be closer to tough par 3s than easy par 4s

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5