Winder, GA
Fort Yargo State Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #5 (Taken 4/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3
PB&J's

1    1/13/2014   1/15/2014
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Hell yeah. That's exactly what this course felt like. The most perfect sandwich combination known to man, creamy and sweet, you feel me?

This course completely blew my expectations out of the water. The rating is much lower than it should be and this is definitely the best course in the immediate area, I would consider it much better than alexander.

Pure fun to be had out here. So many fun ace runs, hole 6 is extremely memorable for being such a basic shot. Pretty scenery all around you and there wasn't another soul to be seen our entire round.

Extremely wide teepads are awesome out here, you don't really need a long teepad as you won't really be ripping any huge drives.

Solid balance of shot types. I threw a lot of thumbers and flicks, along with backhand hyzers and straight shots, I enjoyed how it tested all areas of my game.
Cons: This isn't a championship caliber five star course by any means, but it is a ton of fun.

There are a couple of trees that could stand to be removed, hole #15 stands out in my mind as a hole that has a very strange route to the pin, if you throw your disc on the fairway i imagine it's near impossible to actually get in the circle.

Other Thoughts: I didn't mind paying to get in, this course was well worth it, and was just a ton of fun, probably the most fun i've had in disc golf in the past few months.

Definitely ignore the older reviews and come out and form your own opinion, I know there used to be a ton of undergrowth and poison ivy out here but I didn't notice any issues with either of those things.

Solid Course

1    3/17/2013   3/17/2013
Review By: BillyChipp
Pros: -Very easy to navigate, the first time I went I had no trouble finding the next tee after each hole
-Nearly all of the holes were wooded, but most still had a clear path (not many trees in the middle of fairways)
-Not much heavy brush or thorns to navigate through when you throw your disc off the fairway
-Pretty views, a few of the holes have an elevated tee box and you throw downhill towards the lake, nice to look at in the late afternoon
Cons: -Bike trails: Throughout much of the course, bikers are within range of being hit by discs, so I had to wait for them to pass on more than one occasion
-The holes are somewhat crowded into a small section of the park, meaning your disc could wind up in another fairway, or someone else's disc could wind up in yours, making you wait
-Could not find a scorecard

The home course

5+    1/8/2013   1/9/2013
Review By: damtroll
Pros: This is my home course, so I may be somewhat biased, but let me enumerate the pros and cons.

1. Nice big trapezoidal tee pads.
2. There is at least one solid line for a birdie or ace run on each hole. I can't think of any holes that are just throw and pray.
3. The course is rarely crowded.
4. The course is out in the woods, isolated from other park activities. Holes 4 and 5 run adjacent to the MTB trail, but I have never run into any difficulty. The hiking trail may be an issue with the 12 tee pad and hole 13, but it has never been a problem when I have played. (over 20 times)
5. The aesthetic value of the course is quite good. As previously stated, hole 6 is quite fun, with a downhill 225' putter shot daring you to go for the basket. The remainder of the holes are in the Georgia woods, with views of the lake, which helps in the summer. The swimming area is just across the access road.
6. With the exception of 17, the holes are in the woods, benefiting accuracy over raw power.
7. Discatchers in good shape.
8. I just love hole 8. It is not extremely long or difficult, but there is an anhyzer/flick line, and I have parked the backhand dead straight line with my Comet numerous times.
Cons: 1. No benches or trash cans except for a few old benches along the hiking trail after 11 and adjacent to 13.
2. Hole 17 is the only real hole to let it rip.
3. Water and restrooms are only available at the start of the course.
4. The lake does not really come into play on any of the holes. On hole 6 and 8 you could conceivably overshoot and get wet, but the chances are minimal. There has been some talk about an alternate tee pad on 13 that would require a shot over the lake. I did actually put my FLX Avenger SS in the lake on 13, but that was just a terrible shot on my part.
5. Holes 1-3 start out somewhat slow, with a simple short anhyzer (for RHBH) on 1 and 3, and a short RHBH straight shot with late fade on 2 for an easy birdie chance. The course does improve after that.
Other Thoughts: The course is pay to play. I don't consider it a positive or negative. I bought the annual disc golf pass and state park pass so I can enjoy the course as much as possible.
There was talk during the summer/fall league at the park about lengthening holes 11 (the downhill par 4) and 17 (the longest (480') hole on the course). Although I am more of a noodle arm, I think the extra length would be great. The par 4 on 11 is a bit of a stretch. I think that extending the pin on that hole would make a par 4 more realistic.

Under-rated Georgia Gem.

1    8/5/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: Deep enough into park to give you some isolation and great scenery to look at.
Good signage, nice concrete tee pads.
Course is tight: numerous opportunities to hit your line or work on your second shot if you miss.
I really like hole 6, short down hill ace run with water behind the basket.
Good flow, easy to navigate.
The $8 fee keeps the chuckers and crowds away.
Lots of non disc golf family activities including a large mini-golf course across the street.
Wooded course gives you shade, to make playing in the Georgia heat more tolerable.
Cons: Cons: First 9 are pretty short and easy. Much of the course was just about hitting tight lines, even if you missed your line it was not hard to maintain par, especially on the front 9. You do not hit a hole over 300 feet until hole 10. There are only 3 holes over 300 on the entire course (average hole 267ft.).
Only single tees and pin position.
$8 to enter the park, while I included this as a pro as well, $8 leaving my wallet is a con, but the course is worth it.
Other Thoughts: There were very few major flaws, it is a very solid course, but it is also 18 short tight holes with single tees, no alternate pins, and not much in the way of signature holes. It is definately worth a stop if you are in the area, I personally enjoyed it as much as nearby Alexander Park.
As far as numerous comments on Briars and Thorns, I was wearing shorts and long socks and never had any issue with violent vegitation.

The Fort Report

1    3/3/2012   3/4/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Fort Yargo State Park is home to a very nice disc golf course. Playing through the woods, the fairways are defined, but are generally spacious, and tend to be short. There are one or two holes that are more crowded with trees, requiring very tight lines to hit the windows. Only one hole over 400 feet, and two over 300. Changes in elevation add another wrinkle on four or five holes. Don't expect to wear out your arm on epic par 4's and 5's. Do expect to score a few birdies and enjoy a well laid out course, in a clean and beautiful park.

The equipment is top notch. The discatcher baskets are all in great shape. Tees are all marked with signage including a hole map, with distance. The transitions from hole to hole are well marked, also. The tee pads are concrete and they are BIG.
Cons: The down side of this course is the cost. A disc pass and park entrance was $8. There are no benches and very few trash cans around the course. I played about noon, right after an overnight/morning, soaking rain. There was some standing water in the fairways, but the footing was surprisingly good and still very playable. There is water near a couple of holes, but it takes a wild roll or serious shank or ricochet to put a disc in there.
Other Thoughts: Fort Yargo DGC was very fun for me. An experienced player without elite control, I was able to score several birdies, and have some looks even after less than perfect drives. A great mix of shot shapes and enough trees to keep it interesting, but not ruin your day.

The state park is also home to other activities, but I didn't look around much. There is a lake, and a historic fort on the premises, as well as campgrounds. Well maintained park with nice staff. I would recommend this course, although elite players would likely find it a bit to easy.

Great Course

5+    7/25/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: mdfenley
Pros: Well maintained course. Great design. Challenging and yet fun. Great pads on each tee. Good signage directing flow from hole to hole. Very enjoyable, easy to play.
Cons: Need to have trash cans at every other hole ideally, every couple of holes at least. Need to have benches along course.
Other Thoughts: Living in the area, I wish that there was a way to be able to play and not pay. I paid for the annual park pass, maybe they could come up with a annual DG pass.

Woods WoOdS and WOODS

1    6/11/2011   7/2/2011
Review By: JBryant
Pros: - Large concrete teepads.
- Great signage.
- Easy to navigate.
- Challenging design.
- All shots required. Straight shots are a premium.
- Nice uses of land and elevation
- Easy to find, parking right by 1st tee.
Cons: Not much to complain about. The local DG club has really done a lot here. It is pay to play but if you are going for a few rounds and with friends that isn't a terrible negative. I'm not sure how much considering we were there for a tournament. Somebody said $3 a round but I'm not sure how they could enforce a round fee after you are already in the park.

Needs more resting benches, trash cans, and signage needs updating.

Other Thoughts: This is a must play if you are heading towards Atlanta. Due to thick brush/briars, long pants or tall socks are a big plus here. This is a solid course that is a lot of fun to play and can be challenging to all.

PS!!!!!!!!! Check yourself for ticks. I found one on myself in the days after the tournament.

Trying to like this course

1    5/30/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: Hegemony
Pros: - Large concrete teepads: Can't say enough good things about the size of the pads.
- Great signage
- Easy to navigate. Next tees are pretty obvious from the previous basket
- Lake views/scenery: Being in the woods looking out over the water for most of the middle of the course was really relaxing
- Shule is currently at a minimum due to the control burn late in 2010. It will be interesting to see how this is maintained as time passes.
- Traffic on the course is minimal. Went on Memorial Day. The park was full, but the course was empty.
- 11 and 14 were my favorite holes. Both holes are nearly straight runs at the basket with trees guarding the fairway knocking down sweeping shots. 11 plays shorter than the actual distance because of the down hill.
Cons: - pay to play: This would not be a concern if it were a better course.
- Mix of holes: There's a good mix of hyzer/anny shots, but there's not a good mix of long/short, so it felt monotonous after a while. I was so relieved to see 17 that I took multiple drives just to stretch my arm (no one else on the course.) 10 is the only other hole that really plays long.
- lack of variety for repeated play/skill levels. Single pin placement and single teepads means no mixing it up on repeat visits.
Other Thoughts: Being from Atlanta, This course is an hour's drive away. There are better courses within that radius that aren't pay-to-play. Though I can see this course having local charm if you live in the area and being a good place to practice a variety of accurate shots.

Because the course is so short, low power/conservative drive placement and a good short game will yield a good score.

I don't mind a tough, technical course, but this place just didn't excite me.

Ehh....

2-4    3/19/2011   3/19/2011
Review By: ProOffense
Pros: -Tee pads are amazing! Tapered to accommodate for multiple shots. Very wide and very flat. Well done FY!
- The recent control burn has provided copius room to find errant shots. Also, it has cleared any and all shule that previously would make the chains almost impossible to find/see from the teepad.
-Encourages you to play various shots and lines.
-The design was clearly made to expliot minor and major flaws in ones game. It really was designed well to compliment a discs flight.
-Very good signage to show "next hole." Easy to find your way around the course.
Cons: Well, I really enjoyed the new teepads and the clearing of the underbrush. Also, the park is BEAUTIFUL! Fort Yargo itself is worth the trip to go see. The course is well designed and difficult. Any weekend warrior will find it overly tough, though more advanced players will embracethe challenge.
Other Thoughts: -Holes need to be lengthened. The course is a short one. Not much of a distance challenge.
- ^^ With that said, the aount of trees on each fairway is ridiculous. Fort Yargo had put so much money, im sure, to build new teepads and do a control burn, why not cut a few trees down and make the course more playable?
- No trash cans!
-Pay to play is lame.

3.5 says very good, but the idea of this course being excellent or better would have been a lie. Its a good course and ill be back alot more, ill probably even use it as practie getting ready for a tourney. The woods here really forse you to through perfect shots and weave your way in and out of the hazards and trees. All-in-all, good course, not the best ive played though.

I didnt mean to put my other thoughts in the cons section... just switch the two till I update on something other than my mobile device.

Hi Ho, O Merry O - to Yargo I Will Go!

1    3/12/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: bk_ching
This review was updated on 3/17/2011
Pros: It should be called The Gem of Barrow County - Fort Yargo State Park in Winder. The disc golf course is just over a mile past the front gate. Such a beautiful scene on a bright, sunny, cloudless Saturday afternoon, and 72 righteous degrees! A nice view of the lake reservoir is within full view for most of the ride inside the park. Tons of spots for camping, fishing, grilling, hiking, etc. Heck, they even have miniature golf right across from the DISC golf course. Now how cool is that??

--- Just park right past the 'Mini Golf / Disc Golf' sign and you can see Teepads for #1 and 3.
--- Super easy to find the next hole. Didn't even need any arrows to point us the way.
--- Nice concrete teepads that are wider in the back and then narrow to the more typical width at front . You can easily lay your golf bag at back of teepad while teeing off.
--- Most of the holes are in the woods and some of them have very defined tight paths to get to pin.
--- To me, it has that that 'old school' course feel to it. Lots of short holes, but technical. Feels like a step back in time to my earlier golfin' days (1989-1995).
--- Holes had a nice flow from one to the next, despite the walks from 9-10 and 11-12, which are worthwhile themselves since you're walking along the lake.
--- A lot of the briars and underbrush have been burned away through a control burn, which must have been done within the last couple months.
--- The bathrooms just after Hole 18 were convenient, and clean too.
Cons: Overall, there were really not a lot of negatives to this course.

--- One obvious thing was the lack of trash cans. Several pieces of trash were thrown down on various holes, which I promptly picked up. Later after my round, I threw them away in the cans at the restrooms just behind pin 18.
--- I wish that a few of the holes were a little longer (such as 1, 3, 5, 9, 16). Hey that's fine with me, allows more for me to birdie ;)
--- Having to pay $5/park fee PLUS $3/round (I guess it went up from $2 to $3 this year). But read on further and I'll tell you how you can avoid paying that $5 daily parking fee (a cool teaser - stay tuned...)
--- There are some walking/hiking trails throughout the course, but for most part they don't interfere with the fairways. Just be wary of pedestrians at times, who may not have any idea of disc golf or the origin of these strange, yellow, metal chain thingies.
Other Thoughts: To sum it all up, I give it a 3.5 - a very fun, 'old school' type of course! The scenery along the lake didn't hurt either. Also it was neat to see at least 3-4 groups of golfers throughout the course. The more foot traffic and exposure for the course, the better! Glad to see park officials are finally putting in time, care and maintenance into the course.

I know a few other golfers who had played it last year, or even in '09. They complained a lot about the lack of maintenance on the holes, cruddy gravel tee pads, and the fact that the briars were sharp and prickly enough to slice your throat. That was then...

This is now... March 2011! After the control burn done recently, the course looks fantastic. There is still some charred ground and dead trees, but all (if not most) of those vines, thorns and briar patches of yesteryear are gone!!! (Sorry Brer Rabbit, you'll need to find another home).

To me, the most scenic hole of the course was #6, a short downhill 225' flick. Just seeing the grand lake behind the pin on the mound was so nice. Tricky hole - if you go too far to left of pin or 20' behind it, your disc will likely be swimming.

After playing 9, look at the edge of the lake, where you will see a wooden bridge. Takes you right to 10. After 11, take the foot path along the lake to 12. The course had a good balance of flat, hilly, lefty, righty, backhand, forehand holes. The designer used the terrain and contour of the land to the best of his ability.

Speaking of Holes 10 and 11, the local par is listed as 4, same with 17. Legitimately, I think 10 and 11 should be Par 3's, with 17 being the only true Par 4 (and even that's a small stretch). I'm not always a Par 3 purist however, and at times, I will keep score based on local par.

Oh, let me tell you the 'teaser' from earlier. In case you don't know, you can go to your local library, sign up for a free library card, and actually CHECK OUT a parking pass for any State Park or Historical Site in Georgia. It will waive the entrance or parking fees. So I went to my local library and did just that. (You can check it out for 7 days). Hung the pass on my rearview mirror and... voila! $5 park fee waived! Only had to pay $3 for my round.

I encourage everybody who reads this review to go check out this course. Well worth checking out, despite the short length. Lots of fun holes and the lake scenery more than makes up for the cost to play. And as you're driving into the park (hopefully with your Parkpass in tow ;) just take in all the wonder and scenery of this beautiful state park.

< Prev 1 2 3