Winder, GA
Fort Yargo State Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #6 (Taken 4/2010)
Hole #6 Approach

Fort Yargo State Park

1    8/14/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros:
• Super-wide, tapered concrete tee pads on every hole.
• Discatcher baskets look brand new.
• Good flow and easy-to-navigate; no map needed.
• Most holes are short but very technical.
• Lots of elevation (not extreme) in play.
• Ample parking & restrooms adjacent to #1 tee & #18 basket.
• Clean, well-maintained state park.
Cons:
• Worst stickers/thorns/briars I have experienced on a disc golf course.
• Pay to play ($5 per car parking; $2 per player per round).
• No trash cans or benches.
• Mountain bike trails parallel a couple of fairways; be alert.
Other Thoughts: This state park is a hidden gem in the backyard of Atlanta. There are all kinds of facilities such as camping, cabins, mountain biking, pavilions and a huge lake that offers swimming, fishing and a great scenic backdrop for the disc golf course. Based on earlier reviews, my expectations were low and I was surprised to find a very enjoyable disc golf course. There has obviously been some serious TLC applied recently, as the tapered concrete tee pads and Discatcher baskets all look to be brand new. The tee pads are the widest I have seen; we were able to set our bags on the tee pads while we were throwing our tee shots. Many of the baskets are blind, but due to the short nature of the course, you don't have to go very far down the fairway to scout out the target. If you have to go into the brush after a stray disc, you will find the thickest, sharpest thorns and briars I have encountered while playing disc golf. Long pants are a big plus here. Otherwise, this is a solid course that is a lot of fun to play and can be challenging despite its length.

Updated and Fun

1    7/10/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: Chukker
Pros: Wow, all the online reviews must be old. There are concrete pads on all holes. Very nice, challenging course with lots of cool elevation features which make it a lot of fun. Playing next to the lake makes for nice scenery
Cons: There is a mass of poison ivy. I will be amazed if I don't have some somewhere. It is all wooded and a lot of ivy (regular) so finding rogue discs can be a challenge sometimes.

As others have said, I am not keen on paying an extra $2 after I paid $5 to get into the park.
Other Thoughts: I see that this course received poor reviews. It has clearly seen some TLC as of late. Weeds appear to have been sprayed in several spots. I spoke to a park attendant and she said that the boy scouts have been in there for their eagle projects. Well God bless the boy scouts. The concrete pads are great. It really is a fun course. Not really for the beginner though.

Updated Course

5+    2/27/2010   2/28/2010
Review By: splash_4
This review was updated on 2/26/2011
Pros: A nice small wooded course with newly installed concrete tee boxes. These tee's are trapezoidal in shape and have added a nice new dimension to the course.

The dense undergrowth has been cleaned up as part of an overall maintenance program at the park.

There is a nice wash room facility just prior to the first tee pad and at 18 which both end at the parking lot.

All in all, a fun, short, technical course.

02/26/11 Update - After playing DG a little longer, I am starting to understand more and more the enjoyment of this course. There is a good mix of possible shots on most holes, although there are preferred routes.

Cons: Course requires a $5 parking fee and there is a $2 a round per person fee. For a long time this course was ignored by the park and these funds seemed to be a total waste.

The other thing this course desperately needs is multiple pin positions for each hole. This could make the course re-playable again and again.

There is also no garbage cans on the course and this leads to the detritus that disc golfers seem to leave behind on many of the holes. At times it seems that the beer bottles and cans outnumbers the trees on the course.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice challenging course for beginners that are starting to learn to play in trees. While it can be short, the course makes good use of the terrain and the space available to it and one hole will give you night mares! (Hole #6 is a short down hill shot that if you over shoot drops rapidly into the lake!

If you are in the want a nice quiet time on the course without large crowds, this course if for you.

02/26/11 update - The park has done a controlled burn and taken out all of the briars and other undergrowth. The course if very clean now and very enjoyable to play. Most of the 'tiger' traps have now been revealed and it is a much safer park.

Nice course

5+    7/11/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: MrFixIt
Pros: Nicely wooded course. Well removed from other activties.
Cons: Gravel tee boxes. No benches. Not well maintained, if I pay to play (which I don't mind), I expect the fairways to be mown,etc. No trash cans.
Other Thoughts: Bring water in summer, as well as bug spray.

Much better course, than it use to be!

5+    2/19/2011   9/6/2009
Review By: genxer36
This review was updated on 2/27/2011
Pros: Difficult with the trees, which makes it fun. Great signage. 2 miles from my house. Nice lake views.
Nice baskets & Concrete Tee boxes.

As of 2-19-11 Recent controlled burn, burned brush but not the fairways.

Wood chips put down on the fairways for many of the holes.
Cons: Hilly, #17 Tee still missing sign.
Other Thoughts: Since the controlled burn, I'm upgrading my rating to 3.5. Before it was between 2.5 - 3.0. Briars are nearly gone since the burn. It is much easier to get your disc if it is off the fairway. They need to do a controlled burn every year or even fall & before spring.

Another course in the woods

1    7/10/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: Alan.D
Pros: - 1-3 have nice concrete pads
- Good use of Shots required
-Very Pretty #6 is Amazing
-Nice uses of land and elevation (i was surprised they got so many holes into that small of space)
-Some Fairways were great
-Easy to find, close to parking, in safe sate park
-"Trader shop"(the state park shop) had some nice disc!
-For the most part fun
Cons: -Doesn't get that much play, bugs were abundant, as were spider webs even in fairways.
-Some Fairways were way to small or undefined
-Some holes were repetitive
-Gravel tee boxes... HATED THEM
-Every hole had elevation, good for golf, bad for golfers
-No benches or water (bring some)
-5 dollars parking, 2 for a round, 7 dollars... not worth this course.
-Hole 4, hit a tree, and had to hunt down my disc, I woke up some gnats and mosquito... they stayed with me the whole round.
Other Thoughts: It is a disc golf in a state park. If you happen to be there play it. Then jump into that very inviting lake. It is pretty but maybe a bit under keep. Not worth 7 dollars to play unless you happen to be there anyways. It is a fun course.

Think of it as you would putt-putt in the state park, not the reason you go there but if you are there play a round.

Pleasant Surprise

2-4    7/6/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: hyzerfool
This review was updated on 7/15/2010
Pros: Fair holes, great land. Excellent tee pads on holes 1, 2, and 3. Almost no conflicts with other users of the park (bike trail comes in the vicinity a few times).
Cons: The gravel tee pads are a problem (every hole except 1, 2, and 3). I don't like gravel in the first place, and then these don't appear to be maintained so they have that dip where everyone plants to throw.

I strongly disliked the hole with the 90 degree turn in the fairway with the mando off the tee.
Other Thoughts: I was surprised that the course doesn't bring the lake into play at all (except as nice scenery). After playing the first 3 holes I thought the course would be pretty weak, as they're all forgettable. From there on the holes become much more interesting. There aren't a lot of really memorable holes, but there aren't many really weak holes, either. All in all, the course was a pleasant surprise.

Adjusting the rating from 3 to 2.5 as I start to rate more courses and want to put some at 3 that are better than this one. My review stands, it's a pleasant surprise and I'd happily play it again.

Fun course, wish it was free.

1    6/6/2009   6/6/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: New beautiful concrete pads on 1-3. Big, wide trapezoidal shape. Hopefully the money from paid play is paying for these and we will see more.
I felt this course used its terrain well, good elevation changes and use of the lake to intimidate.
A couple shots had a few nice lines.
Good signs and direction signs, there is pretty much no way to get lost.
(if you are a lefty) Lots of LHBH holes.
Cons: Most pads are gravel.
$5 to park, $2 to play...not quite sure its worth $7, but certainly worth $2.
(If you are a righty) Lots of LHBH holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun, but kind of short course located in the Yargo state park. The new tee pads on 1-3 are absolutely gorgeous and big enough to camp on.
6 is beautiful and intimidating, I really should have thrown about 2x as hard as I did but it looks so close as does the enormous lake.
Lots of fallen trees from storms but none are really hurting play...the one on 8 actually keeps you from throwing into the lake.
We took 2 brand new players out here and had a blast. The fairways were bigger than I expected on most holes (lots of people say they are too small...nah!) though there were a couple that were very tight.
This is a fun course, play if you are at Yargo then take a dip in the lake.

C- - needs more development

1    7/11/2008   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+

2-4    3/15/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Great scenery with the lake in view on many holes. Nice use of natural trees and landscaping. Away from any busy parts of the park. Constant shade from trees is a good thing for a Georgia summer. Easy to navigate with signage.
Cons: Gravel tee pads are not my favorite. I tend to like courses with fewer trees and this one is heavily wooded (not really a con for some people so take it with a grain of salt). Pay-to-play per round, per person can add up quickly.
Other Thoughts: Overall, it's a decent course. I would probably rate it a bit lower if it weren't the closest course to my house. If you aren't an accurate driver off the tee, this course will murder you as it is heavily wooded.