Sparta, WI
Justin Trails - Big Brother DGC Share

Amazing, all the way around.

1    10/10/2016   10/14/2016
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Big Brother is the giant ass kicker course on the Justin Trails property. This is a disc golf destination, with onsite camping and cabins available.

Concrete tee pads, with nearly all holes having two tees. But let's be real. If you're making the trip here, you're playing the longs. If you don't, well...then I think you're dumb. Plenty long, wide and grippy.

Nice Chainstar baskets, which helped greatly with scouting on many holes. One pin position per hole.

Rudimentary signs, but they're decent enough. Hole number, distances, and a rough hole layout. Navigation was relatively easy, as long as you pay attention to the tee signs. Don't assume hole 16 is hole 6, for example.

All the distance your noodley arm can handle. Want to start with a 1205' hole? You got it, tough guy. Big downhill bombers? You've got that too. How about some tight, long wooded lines? Check. On top of that, a decent amount of shorter holes to get those deuces on. But good luck...they'll take a solid shot to get it. As a guy that throws 380-400 (depending on the day), I absolutely loved the distance variations here.

Elevation. So much elevation. Up hills...down hills...back up hills. Your legs will know that you've played Big Brother. A few cool valley type shots are mixed in, which area always fun. Also, a TOTW shot on hole 18, with a narrow gap at the tee...635'? Yes, please.

I'm a big fan of the design here, especially in the woods. Plenty of risk/reward, depending on how you want to attack holes. The rough is tough. If you go off the fairways, you're usually giving up at least a stroke. I was a big fan of the decision making needed on many of the holes here.

A touch of water sprinkled in for good measure on hole 12, which is just a great design.

I'll call it cart friendly (I dragged mine around), but I think if/when I play it again, I'll carry a bag. There's a few spots where I wasn't happy lugging wheeled baggage.
Cons: Wind is going to kick your butt here if it's heavy, especially on the open holes. You're way up high...plan accordingly.

Corn fields suck when you throw into them. So, like, try not to do that, and you'll be much happier. Or have your OH game'll need it.

Multiple pin positions would be cool.

The only shot I felt like was missing was a cool downhill, wooded hole. The transfer between 10 and 11 was a missed opportunity, in my opinion.

Other Thoughts: Big Brother isn't going to appeal to a lot of people like it does to me. I simply loved's only my second 5.0 in over 180 reviews. Maybe it was the beautiful day. Maybe it just fit my skill set perfectly. I don't know...I just loved everything about it. As an added bonus, the drive here is about as scenic as you could want, through the rolling hills of western WI.

A true destination course, on a property that is a destination. Go play it. Seriously.

justin trails. big course. unreal!

1    11/3/2014   11/3/2014
Review By: ewucrew
Pros: Fantastic disc sanctuary with two courses on the property.
Great views. Great difficulty. Mowed tournament style fairways. If you play disc you need to check this place out.
Cons: Long holes
Other Thoughts: Also Nordic activities and hiking available

Best Wisconsin has to Offer

1    8/22/2014   8/22/2014
Review By: Iplaydiscgolf
Pros: Holy shit. This course is ridiculous. I've played a lot of courses around the country and this is my favorite. So tough- mentally, physically, emotionally. First of all, you are hiking up and down some pretty significant hills on a long ass course. You will get tired, this course will take 4+ hours to play.

#1 1025 ft of straight up fairway. Bomb it, repeat.

#2 Slight anny uphill but pretty well guarded. Takes an arm to get a birdie.

#3 downhill across the valley. I think 400' but can throw a midrange on because of the elevation. Pretty well guarded but one of the few birdie ops out there.

#4 How do you like throwing anny tunnel shots up about 70'? Tough par 3.

#5 See #4, another tough uphill drive without much clearance.

#6 Par 4, I think 410' that requires a low hyzer approach of the tee then a nice uphill drive to get to the pin. Steep ravine on the right side makes it a "play it safe" hole.

#7 Getting into the woods- this is also a potential birdie as it's 255-ish but you have to hug the right side of the fairway pretty high to get over the oak branch, shot fades left towards the pin.

#8 Ouch. Slight anhyzer on a short pin, but it is extremely well guarded and any mistake can send you off down a hill to the left. Off the fairway here is nasty.

#9 Another potential birdie. Mostly a straight shot at the pin.

#10 A large dogleg left down a tight fariway. Huge hill down the left side so you have to account for that, but one of the few birdie holes at a par 4.

#11 Nice shot across a small valley. Everything is open and the pine rests a few feet in the woods of to the left. Have to bomb this hole, but can be easily rewarded.

#12 Probably the hardest- best designed hole on the course. Low ceiling tunnel shot out into the fairway on this 648' monster. From the fairway you need a huge anhyzer bomb that eventually comes back to get up and over a pond and come crashing into the hill eventually on the left. This hole goes left big, then right big.

#13 Beautiful hole that crosses a steep valley. You shoot about 70' up from the bottom of the valley, about 550' across and up 120' from the bottom to the pin. Very wide open and a great hole to see how far you can really throw.

#14 Long bomb downhill. The green is steep sloping left to right, get prepared for some safe putting.

#15 This hole was a little confusing but it basically goes straight to left down into a valley then up and right (maybe 80' total elevation change to the pin from the bottom) but you need a significant drive from the bottom to get up for your par 3.

#16 What a beautiful hole! Up on top of the ridge overlooking bucolic wisconsin, this 560'hole is straight out in front of you, fairway dips then comes back up, but is a wide fairsay and lets you bomb it!

#17 is a downhill 355' touch shot. Don't want to go too far past this one as it drops off. Definitely one of the few birdie ops, but does drop off 50-60' in that 355' length.

#18 Have fun going for pin on this 600'+ hole. It is reachable and a ton of fun.
Cons: This is not really a con- but some fairways are very tight and the rough is rough. Not a con because it is maintained by such few people and takes a huge amount of effort to do so. Would not mind paying more so they could afford to hire 1 extra person to help out.
Other Thoughts: Best course in Wisconsin- bar none. Would love to watch the best in the game try to tackle this one. It is tough.

Ultimate Challange!

5+    5/10/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: Fepowerguy8
Pros: The most challenging course I ever played, it is worth paying to play this course. Lots of wooded and hilly holes. Lots of technical long drives. Very well marked. Great tee-pads and it maintained very well. It it located at a bed and breakfast and the owners are great friendly people. My favorite course by a long shot, give the Big Brother course a try!
Cons: Takes about 4 hours to play. Takes about 6 hours to play in winter.

My alltime favorite!

1    4/10/2013   4/13/2013
Review By: thomaso
This review was updated on 4/15/2013
Pros: Beautiful, phisically/mentally and technically challenging. This course takes DG to a whole new level. I can't wait to go back again.
Cons: No Cons!
Other Thoughts: We played in very wet, windy, wintery mix conditions. (Warning!) Do not even consider playing this course with a pull/push cart. The hiking/climbing requires quality waterproof hiking boots, rain/wind suit, a light golf bag preferably with Quad Straps (balance is key). Fatigue is a big factor on this course. Pack energy bars and water. Plan on a four hour round.

Tough course

2-4    9/15/2012   1/25/2013
Review By: beeyang78
Pros: Lots of variety from long tunnel shots to open bombers to uphill and downhill shots.
Love the hill to hill shots.
Gorgeous view from on top of the hills.
Hole 18 is a great downhill shot that is dueceable even though it is over 600 feet long.
Cons: I can't think of any at all.
Other Thoughts: I fell in love with this course when I first played it and have been dying to go there whenever I can. If only it was a lot closer, it would be my favorite course overall. If you have not gone to Justin Trails to play dg, you have to go there at least once to experience this awesome course. There are a few tournaments that are played at this course yearly so sign up and enjoy it.

Unforgettable Disc Golf Experience

2-4    10/15/2012   12/20/2012
Review By: ajkuck
Pros: Both of the courses at Justin Trails are absolutely awesome, I wish I lived closer so I could play them more often. The design of both courses offers a variety of different holes and challenges, which creates a great opportunity to throw plenty of different shots and discs from within your bag. The variety of holes offered at each course also provides plenty of technical shots with elevation changes, shots in the woods, and shots in the open. The combination of all these holes will allow you to try everything from backhands and forehands, hyzers and anhyzers, and shots over the top. The tee pads, signs, layout, and maintenance of both courses are superb and provide a great disc golf experience. Not to mention, the resort itself is awesome and provides a great experience whether you are staying at a cabin, camping, or just visiting for the day.

The Classic is a great course to warm-up on before taking on Big Brother. Everything about Big Brother is bigger, better, and more challenging than The Classic Course, from the elevation changes, to the length and technicality of the shots/holes, and the roll away pin locations. The elevation changes at Big Brother set it apart from many other courses that I have ever played. There are plenty of long, challenging holes and plenty of short, technical par 3's.
Cons: I really have nothing bad to say about these courses, but I hope you're in good shape because it is a lot of walking and a lot of throwing. However, some of the holes could use some maintenance to clean up some of the brush in the woods, which would open up more lanes and opportunities for different shots. The rough on some of the holes is also very thick, but nothing the owners can really do about this considering the size of this course, so just keep your disc in the fairway. Also, the one thing that this course lacks, which BRP offers, is water. Lastly, I wish that there were some other resting areas overlooking some of the scenery.
Other Thoughts: This course ranks in my top 3 favorite courses, along with Blue Ribbon Pines and Bryant Lake(my home course, so somewhat biased). The elevation changes, technicality, and length of this course make it more interesting and challenging than BRP. The scenery and surrounding landscape is amazing and makes Justin Trails an absolutely must play, so if you haven't played it, grab your bag, bring your camera, and make the drive if you want an unforgettable disc golf experience.

Big Brother? More like your friends super hot sister

1    6/8/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: alexjensen
Pros: This course is a complete disc golf experience. It has absolutely everything you could ask for in a course, from super long, challenging par 4's (and one 5) to tight and technical par 3's that offer even the most accurate disc golfer a challenge.

By far my favorite aspect of this course was the elevation changes (Hole 18 comes to mind). Be prepared to watch your discs sore for hundreds of feet across the valleys and from the tops of hills down to the very bottom. I never thought I could pin a 600 ft. hole, but this course allowed me to do so. Hole 18 is just shy of 800ft but is still a legit par 3 because of the ridiculous elevation change.

The views were also incredible. You honestly feel like you have left the regular world and entered into a new land where the only things that matter in life are chains, discs, trees, and wildlife. Coming up to one of the pins a red tail hawk surprised me by jumping out of a giant oak that stretches out over the basket. Made me want to move my Chicago apartment to that exact spot.
Cons: I lost one of my favorite discs in the woods on one of the shorter holes. When I went digging to find it I was destroyed by all the burning nettles on the forest floor. My legs then burned for the remainder of my round. If you're playing a 90+ degree day like I was, jeans are not an option so just be aware of all the nettles in the forest outside of the narrow lanes. Solution: just throw a putter in the woods, it's not worth the burn.
Other Thoughts: After playing my round I went inside to talk to the owner (She offered a hose to take care of the nettles) and I could not stop raving about what an awesome experience their course was to play. She mentioned that the founders of this website had come to play it a few weeks prior and also said the same thing, but commented that there are so few reviews. Moral of the story, if you play this course, REVIEW IT and RATE IT. The owners have certainly put together an amazing disc haven so give them the credit of sharing your experience with the public. This course is a must play for any serious disc golfer that has the opportunity.

1    5/27/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: Jeffl42
Pros: Super technical course with amazing views everywhere you turn. Despite being 3 hours from where I live I am already anxiously waiting for the next time I can make it out there. The couple that runs it are the nicest people you will meet! A must play for anyone who considers themselves a disc golfer!
Cons: None, I seriously couldnt find anything wrong with this course

first time player

1    5/27/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: diabetic
Pros: long tees, great pin placements, great staff, all around a freaking great expieiecne! played my tourney there and just had the best time at both big bro and classic. ill be very very soon
Cons: short tees need some of concrete.
Other Thoughts: a top 10 in my book