Sparta, WI
Justin Trails - Big Brother DGC Share

Ultimate Challange!

5+    5/10/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: Fepowerguy8
Pros: The most challenging course I ever played, it is worth paying to play this course. Lots of wooded and hilly holes. Lots of technical long drives. Very well marked. Great tee-pads and it maintained very well. It it located at a bed and breakfast and the owners are great friendly people. My favorite course by a long shot, give the Big Brother course a try!
Cons: Takes about 4 hours to play. Takes about 6 hours to play in winter.

My alltime favorite!

1    4/10/2013   4/13/2013
Review By: thomaso
This review was updated on 4/15/2013
Pros: Beautiful, phisically/mentally and technically challenging. This course takes DG to a whole new level. I can't wait to go back again.
Cons: No Cons!
Other Thoughts: We played in very wet, windy, wintery mix conditions. (Warning!) Do not even consider playing this course with a pull/push cart. The hiking/climbing requires quality waterproof hiking boots, rain/wind suit, a light golf bag preferably with Quad Straps (balance is key). Fatigue is a big factor on this course. Pack energy bars and water. Plan on a four hour round.

Tough course

2-4    9/15/2012   1/25/2013
Review By: beeyang78
Pros: Lots of variety from long tunnel shots to open bombers to uphill and downhill shots.
Love the hill to hill shots.
Gorgeous view from on top of the hills.
Hole 18 is a great downhill shot that is dueceable even though it is over 600 feet long.
Cons: I can't think of any at all.
Other Thoughts: I fell in love with this course when I first played it and have been dying to go there whenever I can. If only it was a lot closer, it would be my favorite course overall. If you have not gone to Justin Trails to play dg, you have to go there at least once to experience this awesome course. There are a few tournaments that are played at this course yearly so sign up and enjoy it.

Unforgettable Disc Golf Experience

2-4    10/15/2012   12/20/2012
Review By: ajkuck
Pros: Both of the courses at Justin Trails are absolutely awesome, I wish I lived closer so I could play them more often. The design of both courses offers a variety of different holes and challenges, which creates a great opportunity to throw plenty of different shots and discs from within your bag. The variety of holes offered at each course also provides plenty of technical shots with elevation changes, shots in the woods, and shots in the open. The combination of all these holes will allow you to try everything from backhands and forehands, hyzers and anhyzers, and shots over the top. The tee pads, signs, layout, and maintenance of both courses are superb and provide a great disc golf experience. Not to mention, the resort itself is awesome and provides a great experience whether you are staying at a cabin, camping, or just visiting for the day.

The Classic is a great course to warm-up on before taking on Big Brother. Everything about Big Brother is bigger, better, and more challenging than The Classic Course, from the elevation changes, to the length and technicality of the shots/holes, and the roll away pin locations. The elevation changes at Big Brother set it apart from many other courses that I have ever played. There are plenty of long, challenging holes and plenty of short, technical par 3's.
Cons: I really have nothing bad to say about these courses, but I hope you're in good shape because it is a lot of walking and a lot of throwing. However, some of the holes could use some maintenance to clean up some of the brush in the woods, which would open up more lanes and opportunities for different shots. The rough on some of the holes is also very thick, but nothing the owners can really do about this considering the size of this course, so just keep your disc in the fairway. Also, the one thing that this course lacks, which BRP offers, is water. Lastly, I wish that there were some other resting areas overlooking some of the scenery.
Other Thoughts: This course ranks in my top 3 favorite courses, along with Blue Ribbon Pines and Bryant Lake(my home course, so somewhat biased). The elevation changes, technicality, and length of this course make it more interesting and challenging than BRP. The scenery and surrounding landscape is amazing and makes Justin Trails an absolutely must play, so if you haven't played it, grab your bag, bring your camera, and make the drive if you want an unforgettable disc golf experience.

Big Brother? More like your friends super hot sister

1    6/8/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: alexjensen
Pros: This course is a complete disc golf experience. It has absolutely everything you could ask for in a course, from super long, challenging par 4's (and one 5) to tight and technical par 3's that offer even the most accurate disc golfer a challenge.

By far my favorite aspect of this course was the elevation changes (Hole 18 comes to mind). Be prepared to watch your discs sore for hundreds of feet across the valleys and from the tops of hills down to the very bottom. I never thought I could pin a 600 ft. hole, but this course allowed me to do so. Hole 18 is just shy of 800ft but is still a legit par 3 because of the ridiculous elevation change.

The views were also incredible. You honestly feel like you have left the regular world and entered into a new land where the only things that matter in life are chains, discs, trees, and wildlife. Coming up to one of the pins a red tail hawk surprised me by jumping out of a giant oak that stretches out over the basket. Made me want to move my Chicago apartment to that exact spot.
Cons: I lost one of my favorite discs in the woods on one of the shorter holes. When I went digging to find it I was destroyed by all the burning nettles on the forest floor. My legs then burned for the remainder of my round. If you're playing a 90+ degree day like I was, jeans are not an option so just be aware of all the nettles in the forest outside of the narrow lanes. Solution: just throw a putter in the woods, it's not worth the burn.
Other Thoughts: After playing my round I went inside to talk to the owner (She offered a hose to take care of the nettles) and I could not stop raving about what an awesome experience their course was to play. She mentioned that the founders of this website had come to play it a few weeks prior and also said the same thing, but commented that there are so few reviews. Moral of the story, if you play this course, REVIEW IT and RATE IT. The owners have certainly put together an amazing disc haven so give them the credit of sharing your experience with the public. This course is a must play for any serious disc golfer that has the opportunity.

WOW!!!

1    5/27/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: Jeffl42
Pros: Super technical course with amazing views everywhere you turn. Despite being 3 hours from where I live I am already anxiously waiting for the next time I can make it out there. The couple that runs it are the nicest people you will meet! A must play for anyone who considers themselves a disc golfer!
Cons: None, I seriously couldnt find anything wrong with this course

first time player

1    5/27/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: diabetic
Pros: long tees, great pin placements, great staff, all around a freaking great expieiecne! played my tourney there and just had the best time at both big bro and classic. ill be very very soon
Cons: short tees need some of concrete.
Other Thoughts: a top 10 in my book

Big Brother is an AMAZING BEAST.

1    11/30/2011   11/30/2011
Review By: E_Rock25
Pros: Big Brother is a BEAST!!!! It is an amazing compliment to the Classic course and the name says it all. Everything is bigger on this course, the elevation changes, roll away pin placements, hole length, more wooded shots, tighter fairways, more twists and turns, bigger views of the country side and way more fun. If you think you got a good work out on the classic course think again. This course will test every aspect of your game and your physical fitness. Everything that is good about the classic is made great by the big brother. The course has much better balance between open and wooded holes and is nowhere near repetitive. The course is 3.5 miles long so get ready for a long round and lots of walking. This is the definition of a champion caliber course. You will need every shot you know to navigate this challenging, punishing monster of a course. The design on this course is the best that I have ever seen and scoring par feels like getting an ace on some of the holes. Most if not all of the greens will punish you for a missed putt (this course has the best green design I have ever seen also). If the green isn't tightly guarded by trees there will be a big chance of a roll away and many greens have both. Anyone who can shot under par here is a master of the game.(The best score osn this course is -2 or -3)

-Great use of elevation that comes into play on all of the 18 holes. This is the best part of this course for sure.
-Nice concrete tee pads with two (most of the shorts tees are just 4x4 kickers) positions on every hole.
-Adequate signage with hole number, distance and layout.
- Risky roll away pin positions that will make you think about laying up on almost every hole.
-This course is a great workout (bring water and food) it will be a long round.
-The wooded holes are masterfully designed and have lots of different options with great risk and reward.
-The course has great flow and you are never backtracking but there are some long distances in between holes.
-Great variety of shot types Hyzers, Anhyzers, up, down, cross hill, hill to hill, wooded, open, driving into and out of woods, snake like fairways, everything that makes a course great.
-The course is a champion caliber course so if you're not ready play the classic. That being said if you don't care about your score and just want to throw a lot of plastic while enjoying a great hike with awesome views this course can be fun for anyone.
-Every hole is different you will never fell like you just played this hole a few minutes ago.
-The fairways are well maintained and players will be punished for going in the rough on most of the holes.
-This is the hardest course I have ever played.
-They offer a few disc to buy in the clubhouse.
-The owners are awesome.
Cons: Very few cons come to mind when I think back to the Big Brother. It is a rugged course and is not for the faint of heart. If you don't like long hikes you will hate this course (this is not a con for me at all). Bring lots of water and some snacks because the round will take at least 2.5 hours probably more like 3 or 4 is you have 2 or more people in your group.

-The rough is ROUGH on many of the holes. Lots of thorns and bramble on the wooded hole and the open holes have tall grass that will not punish you score wise but will make finding your disc a challenge. Wear jeans if the temp allows.
-Some of the wooded holes could use a bit more upkeep in the fairways but with the size and magnitude of this course it is hard to fault it for this. It must take tons of time to keep this course playable. I think that the owners have an incentive in the spring and supply food and lodging for people who want to help with course maintenance.
-It would be nice if they made a few places to stop and take in the scenery that had benches and maybe grills. I think it would be great to have a few chillin spots throughout the course maybe every 6 holes or something. A spot where you could take a break and maybe have a putting basket to throw some putts at while you catch your breath.
-Bugs can be an issue in the summer. You will encounter all kinds of them. Nothing the owners can really do about this one so bring bug spray.
Other Thoughts: This course is going to be my first 5 starů It is so amazing I don't think my review even does it justice. YOU MUST PLAY THIS COURSE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE. I loved everything about it and I will be going back next summer (hopefully I have more time and can play it a few times). If you only have a chance to play one course while at Justin Trails I would go for the Big Brother over the classic because it offers quite a bit more challenge. The $5 pay to play is well worth it because you can play two great courses for the price of one. The area around the course offers lots of other activities such as fishing, camping, hiking, parks and lots more. Warrens Wisconsin is about a half hour away and has a great indoor and outdoor water park for a great price. The scenery is beautiful in this part of Wisconsin and playing here in the fall would be absolutely amazing. I will play this course anytime I get the chance.

Love This Course

2-4    8/10/2009   1/22/2010
Review By: ThomasOrion
Pros: -It's located out in the hills...complete isolation...no noise other than nature.
-Beautiful scenery...and views from the top: i think holes 14-18 have some good ones.
-Fun, challenging, and long long holes.
Cons: Holes 8-12 (or something, I'm really not sure)
are all on a ridge of a bluff with drops to the left and the right, thin thin lanes to shoot through. I went at the end of summer and it was buggy and weedy and hot. There were a couple of these holes that weren't really playable because the trees were everywhere, it left nowhere to thrown even from the tee...it was a putt, putt, putt to the pin type of hole.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 was awesome...peaking out of a little tunnel on the top of a hill looking way down then out in front, way out you barely see the pin. I launched my Valkyrie hard and low...and of course with the elevation change that low show quickly became a high one...but it stayed straight, then turned over...eventually floating in nicely 20 feet from the pin...best drive of my life i think (its a far far hole and down a steep hill) What can I say...I love this course. It's a half-hour away from where I live now and totally worth the small travel.
It's worth it to drive an hour...I took 2 friends from Winona here...took us 55 mins, but totally worth it...MAKE SURE to plan a lot of time to spend, IE: go early, leave when it gets dark.
TAKES TIME...i think we spent 4 hours or so on Big Brother. We stopped every once and a while and had to look for discs, but we went casually. worth it, so fun, can't wait for more.

Mean Big brother

2-4    9/7/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: discgolfer99
Pros: If what they wanted to do is compliment the classic course, they sure did. The Classic is a great fun course to rack up some birdies and get warmed up. While playing the classic, look up on the hill and wave to Big Brother because he is up there laughing at you.

It starts out punching you in the gut right away on hole #1. The corn was down when I played it and can't even imagine how difficult it must be with 8 ft tall corn to contend with. But what a great hole. It gets you over to the area where the course really begins. Hills, tight coridoors, breathtaking vistas, long par 4's (5's for me my god), and very well groomed. Don and Donna (owners) were very nice people and have what every disc golfer wants, a disc golf haven.

If you never had a big brother growing up and never got picked on, here's your chance.

I gave it a 5 for the reasons listed above, but more so for the "out of the box" design. It is clear to that the main point was to build a hard course. But what I liked, in kicking your butt, you got a tour of this awesome parcel of land. You feel so far out of the daily grind you forget about the 7 you took on hole 1.

I am planning a weekend trip with wife and kids once the leaves change. JT in the Fall has to be unreal.

One of the reviews prior mentioned the huge branch that is growning sideways across the fairway. It's holes like that, that take advantage of the nautrual structures that make JT special. One hole is this BOMB across a huge valley, the pin is under a GIANToak tree purched at the top of the sculpted ravine.

This is what disc golf is all about.
Cons: I'm in my mid 40's and this course beat me up physically. This is a con on me, not the course. I'm going to seriously work out for the next month with Big bro as inspiration so I can paly atleast two rounds while there. I did have a few of those roll aways that have been mentoined. The course is hard enough, not sure they need to have the pins on those side slopes. I worked my butt off to get to the pin and I find it punching me again.
Other Thoughts: If you enjoy all the challeges that discn has to offer, JT is a must play. If you like disc golf road trips, this place should be right near the top. Rent a cabin and make a weekend out of it. I know I am!
Thank you Don and Donna!