Charleston, SC
Tidal Creek Share
3 / 160ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1    11/24/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: I can see local players enjoying the course. Tidal Creek is the type of layout that has some fun in it if you know the course well. There are some interesting shots here but without tee signs and with blind baskets, it's tough to enjoy them on your first time out. If I could have known from the tee what I'd known by the time I had gotten to the basket, I would have enjoyed a few throws that are high risk/reward, with tight margins for error.
Cons: Still, it's not course I would recommend to the traveling player. A lot of my rating of a course comes down to how much it makes me want to throw. When I walk up to a tee, does it induce a feeling of excitement? And in short, very few of the holes here did that.

Most of the fairways seem to have previously been walking trails, and some clearly still are. I wouldn't say the design is poor on them because that would imply there is a design. The tee marker is placed at one point on the trail, later down the trail, the basket is dumped just to the side of it.

The fairway, here is just a single-track path down the center of nasty rough. I played in the winter and I did not want to walk off the trail for that disc so my throws were extremely careful. I can't imagine what it must look like in summer. A ton of that must be standing water. I doubt I'd want to even walk down the fairway in wetter months. I'm all for high risk/high reward shots in disc golf, but most of these are extremely high risk/ no reward. If I want to toss a putter carefully down a straight path, I can do that anywhere there is a walking trail and most places would be safer and more enjoyable than this one.

It doesn't help that there are no tee signs. Do you like not knowing where to throw off the tee? I bet you will love it when landing two feet off the fairway in any direction is potentially an alligator nest. Not only that, the small wooden posts must be a nightmare to find when the vegetation is in.

I'd say that this course needs better navigation, the clearing of actual fairways and a better design but I think that the location is just not suited for disc golf. Really, there are just much better places to use baskets, and much better places to disc golf in Charleston.

overgrown bugfest

5+    4/20/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: slickwheels
Pros: Nice baskets, bathrooms nearby. Some decent holes.
Cons: This course seems to never get any maintainance. Overgrown fairways. Too many throw and prey holes. More mosquitoes than I have ever seen on any dg course(yes I know it is in a swamp). Usually some flooding.
Parking on the weekends can be difficult as the soccer families usuall take all the parking.
Other Thoughts: Go to trophy lakes or any of the other 10 nearby courses instead...unless you like mosqito bites.

Prayed to live!

1    7/23/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: JoshuaWayneHester
This review was updated on 8/23/2011
Pros: *All Innova Discatcher goals.
*Tight, demanding holes with a great amount of trees.
Cons: *Course is not well maintained.
*Gator's, Snakes, Lizards, Huge Ants, Yellow jackets, nats and chiggars plus a dozen other reasons to not play this course if you don't like wildlife.
*For every 1 good thing this course offers, there are 5 bad things that counteract it.
*Water hazzards (marsh) are nothing more than a snake breeding ground and a giant crab house.
*Navigation is horrible.
*Poorly designed course, with little buffer zone on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Charleston offers too many courses that are good, to get stuck playing this garbage. I know that my opinion in the grand scheme of things does not matter all that much. However having a goal placed behind 700 trees, does not always make it a challenging hole, it makes it not fun. If you are a pro-level player with great skills...and dont mind playing a non-maintained course...enjoy. Otherwise go play..
Trophy Lakes,