Charleston, SC
Tidal Creek Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #13 (Taken 12/2010)
3 / 210ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #13 Approach

Up Tidal Creek

1    10/5/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Tidal Creek disc golf course is a full 18 that is not going to give you birdies just because you can throw 350' anytime you feel like it (well, maybe a couple). The distance isn't the issue, its the woods and the water. It may not be a pro for everyone, but it is what makes it a little different from a lot of other courses. The first hole is really nice, a corridor atop a berm lined with trees and a drop off to the left. Hole 2 tees from the top of that berm, and plays down a few feet into the flats. This is where the personality of the course begins to reveal itself. On the scorecard/map I printed, there are only 3 holes over 300', 2 are fairly open and playing along maintenance roads cut through the woods (7 and 15). The rest average less than 250' (7 holes under 200'), and they range from moderately wooded, up to I'm really not confident anything I can throw will ever work. Thats a slight exaggeration, but I was uncomfortable with several of my tee shots to say the least. I did enjoy birdies on numbers 3 and 17, with some luck. On hole 8 it's short and open with water to the left and right, I went OB left, but got the disc back. 9 is another nice putter drive, across the water. Potential for an ace, but can't be short or too long, kind of an island-ish feel. Fairways have lefts, rights, and some straight down the middle, and are very often narrow. Totally unprepared for the amount of bonks and scrubs off of tree trunks and branches all day. It isn't always pretty, but it is 18 baskets, and they are not all visible at the same time. Therefore it rates minimum of 3 out of 5 according to my optimistic Disc Golf Course Review principals. Although I had a hard time the first run through, it is fun, challenging, and pretty good for the property that is available. And there are plenty of shorties that could yield 2's on the scorecard if you had a good game plan. I wouldn't mind if they cut out a bit more lumber here and there.

There are 4x4 posts making the tee boxes at each hole, and thats about it. Black sharpie numbers are still visible on some of them. All of the baskets were disc catchers in good shape, numbered in sequence. I do recall some benches, and at least one trash can adjacent to the course, after hole 5, probably a couple more out there.
Cons: There are some serious gripes that hold this course back. Several years ago I attempted to play here, and everything visible after the first hole was under knee deep water. Time for Plan B. Even when playable and mostly dry, there is standing water and muck in several areas throughout. Tee boxes are natural, primitive, unimproved, exposing the roots, dirt. Didn't like it. There are no signs, so do yourself a favor and print the map. Even then it can be tricky to follow the layout in a couple of spots. I lost the trail momentarily after hole 2 (walk directly to the left from the basket). And there was no obvious path between 15 and 16. I ended up walking the long way around after 15 and backtracking 16, via holes 7 and 6. Thats with a map. Once you're familiar this should not be a big issue, and I would think fast and efficient rounds would be possible, as long as you stay dry. I bet the bugs would be unbearable during the summer heat. In some areas other people may be walking on the course, so take precautions.
Other Thoughts: I was way over par, and very frustrated the trees turned my round of disc golf into Plink-O. First time through, this one got the best of me. Tidal Creek 1, Aaron 0. The exposure to flooding may discourage further improvements in terms of tee pads and signage. Still, I got to play 18 holes of disc golf on a beautiful October afternoon, so I had a pretty good experience. If I lived nearby, I would surely visit this course occasionally, when the conditions were right.

Tight, Tough but fun!

1    2/9/2013   2/11/2013
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: As everyone has stated...simply beautiful surroundings! Especially in the winter when the skies are crystal blue. If you are into technical courses, this is your place to be. Some of the fairways you couldn't walk side-by-side down. Thankfully many of the holes were short, and if you hit your mark, your either on the backet or in it.

This course can be a birdie fest, and if played carefully you can keep your score subpar. Take your eye on the prize and man-oh-man are you in for a world of hurt!
Cons: I'm not a fan of the knee-capping tee markers. Trip over those or drive into them and you're in rehab. Expecially since most of the fairways are berms and you're most likely going to take a header into a tree or marsh

Some directional signs would be a big help. If we didn't have a guide I'd be lost several times.

And what's up with 18? Like the old saying, 'I couldn't see the fairway for the trees in the way!' All I'm saying, there ain't not fairway!

THere were also a few holes that were litereally close your eyes and drive and PRAY you penetrated.
Other Thoughts: I hear spring/summer is HORRIBLE due to the bugs and snakes. But the winter time is really a great time to play

Pretty Cool

1    7/10/2012   7/10/2012
Review By: Steelo
Pros: Scenic, and awesome walk through the woods. Great baskets and fun shots
Cons: No signs indicating where the next teepad is, though most of the locations were easy to find if you follow the beaten path. The most difficult transition is from 14 to 15 as it is the farthest transition.
Other Thoughts: Just add a drawing to the teepad poles so that new players have an idea of where the basket is. Also, with the disccatcher baskets tape or paint can be added to the top metal bars indicating the direction of the next pad.

Swampy!

1    6/21/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 5/24/2013
Pros: Lots of shot variety...longer holes tend to play dead straight, while others force shots both right and left. Very technical and demanding. Perhaps the biggest pro of the whole course is the entire environment is really beautiful...never thought I would enjoy a walk through a tidal swamp so much.

Nice sports fields around to warm up in, and really close parking to the first tee (although it is hard to find if you haven't looked at the map.)
Cons: Course is at times overly technical. Some holes are very narrow and feature water on both sides, and this is a bit disconcerting because of the area - the course map warns of gators, rattlesnakes, etc.

The tee boxes are not the flattest and are dirt.

Course really really needs signs to the next hole and the start of the course. You can wander a bit without really knowing where you are going. Also, signs of the hole direction would be a big plus, because the vegetation during the summer can tend to block out vision a bit.
Other Thoughts: A few tee markers are missing. All of them were missing on the 12th hole...but there was a Budweiser can in the hole that used to evidently be the tee marker. Some other holes only have 1 tee marker, but lack the other one.

I unfortunately found myself a bit too worried about wildlife and that detracted from my experience a bit. Its tough to really concentrate at times when your back is to a large body of water that may have a gator in it. Plus the mosquitoes were borderline unbearable.

Overall it is a nice, wooded, technical course. It is obviously young, but since they have already updated and put in a new tee for the sixteenth hole, i am inclined to believe that the upkeep will continue to be nice.

Would be nice to have a practice basket.

UPDATE 5/24/13 - Course is in pretty good shape. Tons of bugs. They have moved the basket on 15 making it a much much longer hole, and the basket on 16 is moved off to the right. This makes navigation much more difficult. Signs are needed. Par likely needs updated on 15 as well.

Low Country

1    3/5/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: w8nforhim
Pros: This course offers a lot of variety for a woods course. A variety of layouts challenges players of all skill levels. Almost all of the holes require precision tee shots to follow certain corridors among the trees. If you follow these corridors, you are rewarded, but if you vere off the path, you can expect to pay the consequences. We played two days after a torrential rain and so besides the regular water hazards on several of the holes, there were additional water hazards in the form of large puddles/ponds/creeks that had formed in the low parts of the course. Every hole had water of some sort, which made the course even more interesting.
Cons: There are no tee pads and the markers for each tee location are just two 4x4 blocks marking where you should throw from. There are no signs pointing to the next tee which made finding some of the holes difficult, especially when there are not well trod paths, or too many paths. The baskets had no yellow bands on them, and since there were no maps or hole markers at the tee location, finding where to throw also was a challenge at times.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course to play. You couldn't play this course with just one disc or with one style throw. You really had to reach in your bag and pull out a lot of discs and a lot of shots. If the course had tee pads and markers, it would be a great course. Definitely worth playing though. Just prepared to get muddy!

New Changes not good

5+    5/9/2011   5/9/2011
Review By: Tafari
Pros: Beautiful course, challenging in various ways, holes of different lengths/types.
Cons: Gets buggy and the snakes come out in summer.
Other Thoughts: This used to be my main course, and I looked forward to playing it nearly every day. Recently, several holes have been lengthened or altered considerably, and not all in positive ways.

Some, such as #1 and #2 are fine (#1 is more challenging, #2 is a bit easier but the trees demand care). However, #8 and #15 totally bite for amateurs. #8 is exceptionally hard for amateurs, and the new arrangement forces you to play past fishermen who sometimes get pissed if your disc comes too close, which it will if you go for the long drive you need to do fine on the hole. Previously there were good relations between us players and the fishermen, but there have been some tensions lately.

And #15 is now so long that it is totally impossible for amateurs to come near parring it. Plus, when you finish it you have to walk back part of the fairway to continue on to #16, which slows down other players behind you. Without a new cut-through to the #16 tee, this change was exceptionally poorly designed.

If the goal is to make this a pro course, then things are going in the right direction. If it is to find a balance between 1. a community course to attract and excite a wide variety of players, and 2. a course that allows better players to work on their game, then it is going in a bad direction, since it is becoming totally imbalanced towards the pros. Last week I saw some other amateurs who hadn't been there in a while and they said they won't be back any time soon. If I lived closer to another course I'd join the exodus.

I used to groove on playing this course but now when I choose it I just don't feel the love, which is no way to start your game. And I've started skipping #8 every time I play, so that I don't piss off other park patrons (hardly good for the sport) or lose a disc.

You will either like Tidal Creek, or you wont!

1    12/30/2010   1/1/2011
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/27/2013
Pros: -Challenging course, located in a recreation area. This course is not for beginners.
-You will pass a gas station/Quiznos just before you arrive at the park.
-Very tight wooded course that requires strategic approaches to make par.
-Fun for me, but I know that it's not for everyone.
-Plays fast, (as long as you know where you are going) Which helps if you are trying to hustle through the course.
-I forgot to see if there were bathrooms onsite. (If someone will let me know, I'll update accordingly) As I mentioned, there is a gas station on the way to the course.
-It was fairly easy to navigate, except for a couple of the holes where navigation would have helped.
-Garbage cans located throughout the course. (Though they are situated to where they dump over easily)
-natural tee pads, tee markers mark the tee area. The hole # is written on the tee markers.
-Multiple water hazards
-#8 has water on both sides
-#9 is a 156ft pond shot
-Most of the holes are risk/reward.
- The course twists and turns through the woods. There are plenty of Doglegs, and other deviations throughout the course.
-During the winter, the course is fairly dry.
-Came upon a group of Disc Golfers, and they were very nice and let me play through. (I was playing solo)
-Though there is no practice basket, there is a soccer field that one could use to warm up on.
Cons: -Depending on when you play here, may dictate how busy it will be.
-I did have a problem with pedestrians of the non-dg variety, walking up on me from basket towards the tee. Sometimes they would just appear out of the woods. This happened 5 or 6 times, and I would be a gentleman and let them pass.
-The path to the first tee is rather hidden. If you are facing the soccer field, the first tee runs inside the treeline on your left.
-Tidal Creek really could use some navigational signs, because I found myself not sure where to go next a couple of times.
-Definitely need some navigational signs from 14 to 15! I wandered around for 10 minutes and ended up calling my wife for navigation off the map from DGCR.
-Rain could make play here difficult, as well as bugs in the summertime.
-It could be very easy to lose a disc in water, mud, or the shrubs in general. Be accurate with your throws!
-Dangerous wildlife call this course home as well, be cautious.
Other Thoughts: Before you decide to play here, you need to know whether you want to play here. If you don't like:
-tight courses. …and I mean VERY tight courses!
-playing around swampy areas.
-playing in areas where you could potentially lose multiple discs.
-you've only been playing a short time.
Then you may want to reconsider playing here. Tidal Creek is not for everyone.

If there is one thing I've gathered about Tidal Creek, it's an either/or course. Either you will like this course, or you will hate this course. There's not a whole lot of in between. I, myself, enjoy these kinds of courses and I had fun here! Granted I did play here in Dec, when it's dry and not so buggy, but I enjoyed it. It's exactly what everyone has been saying in their reviews. You will either find that attractive, or you wont. I liked the fact that I had to think about my approach and carefully choose my line. The majority of the holes here have a risk/reward. Including water hazards, one of which is a 156ft "cross the pond" shot. This is not the course to break out your guns. In fact, I primarily threw my Hydra, Buzzz, and Roc. It's about strategy, not distance. Dial down your power, and be precise. In some cases, be accurate! For what it's worth, I walked away with all my discs! :)

Pay close attention to your surroundings, those "Gator, Snakes, and Yellow Jackets" signs are up for a reason. For footwear, I would definitely advise against sandals and/or Flip flops. This place can get muddy, so dress accordingly. You are in the swamp where snakes can come out of nowhere. Be advised At least there are alternatives in Charleston, so you can opt out if you are so inclined.

Finally: Big time thanks to the group that stopped their game and offered to let me play through! Thank you! :)

WEST ASHLEY

2-4    7/12/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: TSchneidz2
Pros: If you are looking to work on your accuracy, you are in the right place. Although, if you are having a day in which you cannot throw straight, you will be wading through swamp water, massive spider webs, and many snakes.
Cons: While wildlife is important to the eco-system, you will be very tired of mosquitoes, spiders, and snakes by the end of your round.
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for the best round in the area, I would head to Trophy Lakes but this course isn't a total waste of time if you are not a beginner.