Charleston, SC
Fire Swamp DGC Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #9 (Taken 8/2010)

Pretty Cool

1    7/10/2012   7/10/2012
Review By: Steelo
Pros: Scenic, and awesome walk through the woods. Great baskets and fun shots
Cons: No signs indicating where the next teepad is, though most of the locations were easy to find if you follow the beaten path. The most difficult transition is from 14 to 15 as it is the farthest transition.
Other Thoughts: Just add a drawing to the teepad poles so that new players have an idea of where the basket is. Also, with the disccatcher baskets tape or paint can be added to the top metal bars indicating the direction of the next pad.

5+    6/21/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 11/13/2015
Pros: Lots of shot variety...longer holes tend to play dead straight, while others force shots both right and left. Very technical and demanding. Perhaps the biggest pro of the whole course is the entire environment is really beautiful...never thought I would enjoy a walk through a tidal swamp so much.

Nice sports fields around to warm up in, and really close parking to the first tee (although it is hard to find if you haven't looked at the map.)
Cons: First is the obvious...this course can very easily flood after a rain leaving it unplayable.

The course is at times overly technical. Some holes are very narrow and feature water or swampy areas on both sides, and this is a bit disconcerting because of the area - the course map warns of gators, rattlesnakes, etc.

The tee boxes are not the flattest and are dirt.

Course really really needs signs to the next hole and the start of the course. You can wander a bit without really knowing where you are going. Also, signs of the hole direction would be a big plus, because the vegetation during the summer can tend to block out vision a bit. Finding hole 15 is a disaster for first time players. 14 drops you off by a parking lot, and you have to walk about 200 yards up the road and take a right turn to a gated maintenance road. The tee is right past the gate, but the markers tend to get tossed into the woods. As above, some navigational aids or signs would be a huge help.

Hole 15 plays down a semi-paved maintenance road which is not too nice on the discs.

While holes 8 and 9 are pretty by the lake, it is a very crowded area with fishermen usually there which sets those 2 holes up for significant opportunities for interference.

A few tee markers are consistently missing.
Other Thoughts: I unfortunately found myself a bit too worried about wildlife and that detracted from my experience a bit. Its tough to really concentrate at times when your back is to a large body of water that may have a gator in it. Plus the mosquitoes were borderline unbearable.

Overall it is a nice, wooded, technical course. It is obviously young, but since they have already updated and put in a new tee for the sixteenth hole, i am inclined to believe that the upkeep will continue to be nice.

Would be nice to have a practice basket.

Why was the name changed from "Tidal Creek DGC" to "Fire Swamp DGC?"

Low Country

1    3/5/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: w8nforhim
Pros: This course offers a lot of variety for a woods course. A variety of layouts challenges players of all skill levels. Almost all of the holes require precision tee shots to follow certain corridors among the trees. If you follow these corridors, you are rewarded, but if you vere off the path, you can expect to pay the consequences. We played two days after a torrential rain and so besides the regular water hazards on several of the holes, there were additional water hazards in the form of large puddles/ponds/creeks that had formed in the low parts of the course. Every hole had water of some sort, which made the course even more interesting.
Cons: There are no tee pads and the markers for each tee location are just two 4x4 blocks marking where you should throw from. There are no signs pointing to the next tee which made finding some of the holes difficult, especially when there are not well trod paths, or too many paths. The baskets had no yellow bands on them, and since there were no maps or hole markers at the tee location, finding where to throw also was a challenge at times.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course to play. You couldn't play this course with just one disc or with one style throw. You really had to reach in your bag and pull out a lot of discs and a lot of shots. If the course had tee pads and markers, it would be a great course. Definitely worth playing though. Just prepared to get muddy!

Better than what people say

1    2/22/2012   2/23/2012
Review By: jmerz
Pros: Well set up.
Nice paths.
Good challenge.
Fairly well kept.
Cons: You can get lost trying to find the last few holes.
Needs to be thinned out a little.
A couple holes don't make any sense.
Other Thoughts: I think this is better than what some people have been saying. I think if it was thinned out a little, you could get a lot better drives in. It is too thin to let your discs work their characteristics.

5+    1/10/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: Not too sure why so many people have rating this course low, maybe compared to Trophy Lakes, but honestly I think it's a great course. Lots of holes that appear easy at first but actually require well shaped shots. A few possible ace's, and I'm sure if the water was up there would be a lot more of a challenge of several holes.
Cons: There needs to be more signage, but honestly once you play the course once, it's pretty easy to navigate. Did have some kids playing paint ball in the woods (but they let us shoot the guns so I'm cool with it).
Other Thoughts: This course will make you work on your mid-range game. Not a lot of wide open shots, so you need to have more than a big arm to play this course, maybe that's why so many people rated it low?

Under Rated

5+    2/11/2012   2/15/2012
Review By: tigerfan
Pros: If you want to learn to control your shots, this is the course. I have been playing Tidal for over two years now and it is truly the most under-rated course in all of SC. Yes the fairways are tight, but that will only make you a better player (I am still waiting on that). The mix of shots is just amazing. This course is the course you should go to to get ready for any other wooded course because if you can throw these fairways you should have no problem else where.
Cons: The biggest draw back to this course is that you really can't play it during the summer. The bugs, snakes, and gators are all true. I just feel that you need to remember where you are playing. We are in the low country of SC, it doesn't mater where you play the bugs are going to be bad in the summer, it is what it is. The same thing with snakes. I don;t feel these things take away from a truly well designed technical course.
Other Thoughts: A lot of work has been done to this course over the last year, some changes have worked out and some haven't. The long placement on 8 is now gone and will not be used again. The one on 15 is hard but a nice addition to a course that is very short. I feel this course would have better reviews if people tried to play it during late fall, winter, or early spring. Yes this is not a beginner friendly course, but if someone were to learn on it they would have skills that many don't have "Control". Judge the course for what it is designed for.and not the bugs that bite you, because that can happen anywhere. As for the black water, that is a problem the course has in the summer and is no fun to deal with. My approach to the water is as it is with water or trees on any other course, throw in the fairway. In a day and age when we are trying to get courses in, I am just glad the city of Charleston gave us any land to build a course on in Charleston.

Prayed to live!

1    7/23/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: JoshuaWayneHester
This review was updated on 8/23/2011
Pros: *All Innova Discatcher goals.
*Tight, demanding holes with a great amount of trees.
Cons: *Course is not well maintained.
*Gator's, Snakes, Lizards, Huge Ants, Yellow jackets, nats and chiggars plus a dozen other reasons to not play this course if you don't like wildlife.
*For every 1 good thing this course offers, there are 5 bad things that counteract it.
*Water hazzards (marsh) are nothing more than a snake breeding ground and a giant crab house.
*Navigation is horrible.
*Poorly designed course, with little buffer zone on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Charleston offers too many courses that are good, to get stuck playing this garbage. I know that my opinion in the grand scheme of things does not matter all that much. However having a goal placed behind 700 trees, does not always make it a challenging hole, it makes it not fun. If you are a pro-level player with great skills...and dont mind playing a non-maintained course...enjoy. Otherwise go play..
Trophy Lakes,
or Buccaneer Bay.

A wooded swamp

1    5/5/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: DWill
Pros: A very tightly wooded course that demands accuracy and control of your discs to be successful. If you lack either of those, this course will help you improve them. It's well shaded, so it will be cooler for those hot summer rounds.

Other than the woods, water comes into play on a few holes. An air shot over the water on hole 9, and 8 fairway is sandwiched by it. These holes are a nice change of pace from the wooded shots, but are still equally challenging.

Located in a nice community park, with plenty of parking, rest rooms and walking trails for non disc golfers.
Cons: Even with a map, I found it not exactly easy to navigate. If you don't have a map, it will be tricky finding 15's tee from 14's basket. Piece of advice, print and bring the course map.

A walking trail dissects hole 1's fairway, and it's not easy to see the oncoming walkers, so be aware.

The drawback of this wooded courses is that it takes time to dry out after rains, so there are plenty of swampy areas on the course to avoid. This also breeds mosquitoes, which ate me alive between holes 2 and 3. There is a good chance of losing a disc here with all the trees and other foliage.

Basket 8 position, had me throwing too close to other park patrons. It's a great and difficult position, but made me a little uneasy worrying about not hitting them.
Other Thoughts: Your degree of liking this course will depend on how much you like or dislike wooded courses. As far as wooded courses I've played, this is on the tighter side.

It's not overly long, and can be played rather quickly, if time is a concern. Even when you do inevitable hit a tree and go off line, it's short enough to recover from.

I'm glad I didn't encounter any of the wild life the course map warns about, but I think it would have been cool to see a gator.

New Changes not good

5+    5/9/2011   5/9/2011
Review By: Tafari
Pros: Beautiful course, challenging in various ways, holes of different lengths/types.
Cons: Gets buggy and the snakes come out in summer.
Other Thoughts: This used to be my main course, and I looked forward to playing it nearly every day. Recently, several holes have been lengthened or altered considerably, and not all in positive ways.

Some, such as #1 and #2 are fine (#1 is more challenging, #2 is a bit easier but the trees demand care). However, #8 and #15 totally bite for amateurs. #8 is exceptionally hard for amateurs, and the new arrangement forces you to play past fishermen who sometimes get pissed if your disc comes too close, which it will if you go for the long drive you need to do fine on the hole. Previously there were good relations between us players and the fishermen, but there have been some tensions lately.

And #15 is now so long that it is totally impossible for amateurs to come near parring it. Plus, when you finish it you have to walk back part of the fairway to continue on to #16, which slows down other players behind you. Without a new cut-through to the #16 tee, this change was exceptionally poorly designed.

If the goal is to make this a pro course, then things are going in the right direction. If it is to find a balance between 1. a community course to attract and excite a wide variety of players, and 2. a course that allows better players to work on their game, then it is going in a bad direction, since it is becoming totally imbalanced towards the pros. Last week I saw some other amateurs who hadn't been there in a while and they said they won't be back any time soon. If I lived closer to another course I'd join the exodus.

I used to groove on playing this course but now when I choose it I just don't feel the love, which is no way to start your game. And I've started skipping #8 every time I play, so that I don't piss off other park patrons (hardly good for the sport) or lose a disc.

You will either like Tidal Creek, or you wont!

1    12/30/2010   1/1/2011
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/27/2013
Pros: -Challenging course, located in a recreation area. This course is not for beginners.
-You will pass a gas station/Quiznos just before you arrive at the park.
-Very tight wooded course that requires strategic approaches to make par.
-Fun for me, but I know that it's not for everyone.
-Plays fast, (as long as you know where you are going) Which helps if you are trying to hustle through the course.
-I forgot to see if there were bathrooms onsite. (If someone will let me know, I'll update accordingly) As I mentioned, there is a gas station on the way to the course.
-It was fairly easy to navigate, except for a couple of the holes where navigation would have helped.
-Garbage cans located throughout the course. (Though they are situated to where they dump over easily)
-natural tee pads, tee markers mark the tee area. The hole # is written on the tee markers.
-Multiple water hazards
-#8 has water on both sides
-#9 is a 156ft pond shot
-Most of the holes are risk/reward.
- The course twists and turns through the woods. There are plenty of Doglegs, and other deviations throughout the course.
-During the winter, the course is fairly dry.
-Came upon a group of Disc Golfers, and they were very nice and let me play through. (I was playing solo)
-Though there is no practice basket, there is a soccer field that one could use to warm up on.
Cons: -Depending on when you play here, may dictate how busy it will be.
-I did have a problem with pedestrians of the non-dg variety, walking up on me from basket towards the tee. Sometimes they would just appear out of the woods. This happened 5 or 6 times, and I would be a gentleman and let them pass.
-The path to the first tee is rather hidden. If you are facing the soccer field, the first tee runs inside the treeline on your left.
-Tidal Creek really could use some navigational signs, because I found myself not sure where to go next a couple of times.
-Definitely need some navigational signs from 14 to 15! I wandered around for 10 minutes and ended up calling my wife for navigation off the map from DGCR.
-Rain could make play here difficult, as well as bugs in the summertime.
-It could be very easy to lose a disc in water, mud, or the shrubs in general. Be accurate with your throws!
-Dangerous wildlife call this course home as well, be cautious.
Other Thoughts: Before you decide to play here, you need to know whether you want to play here. If you don't like:
-tight courses. ...and I mean VERY tight courses!
-playing around swampy areas.
-playing in areas where you could potentially lose multiple discs.
-you've only been playing a short time.
Then you may want to reconsider playing here. Tidal Creek is not for everyone.

If there is one thing I've gathered about Tidal Creek, it's an either/or course. Either you will like this course, or you will hate this course. There's not a whole lot of in between. I, myself, enjoy these kinds of courses and I had fun here! Granted I did play here in Dec, when it's dry and not so buggy, but I enjoyed it. It's exactly what everyone has been saying in their reviews. You will either find that attractive, or you wont. I liked the fact that I had to think about my approach and carefully choose my line. The majority of the holes here have a risk/reward. Including water hazards, one of which is a 156ft "cross the pond" shot. This is not the course to break out your guns. In fact, I primarily threw my Hydra, Buzzz, and Roc. It's about strategy, not distance. Dial down your power, and be precise. In some cases, be accurate! For what it's worth, I walked away with all my discs! :)

Pay close attention to your surroundings, those "Gator, Snakes, and Yellow Jackets" signs are up for a reason. For footwear, I would definitely advise against sandals and/or Flip flops. This place can get muddy, so dress accordingly. You are in the swamp where snakes can come out of nowhere. Be advised At least there are alternatives in Charleston, so you can opt out if you are so inclined.

Finally: Big time thanks to the group that stopped their game and offered to let me play through! Thank you! :)