Charleston, SC

2-4    7/5/2014   7/10/2014
Review By: Timeetyo
Pros: - Good mix of shot selection required
- Tight, technical golf throughout
- Good use of a few berms for raised pins with roll away putts (that got me a few times) :(
Cons: - Natural tees, marked by 4x4s on each side are rough in spots.
- No tee signs. This is particularly a problem as there are MANY blind shots that I needed to walk 1/2 the fairway to see where the pin even was. Tight, technical, and blind doesn't go well without tee signs.
- Missing baskets. Holes #7 and #15 look like they should play down their respective roads. I was able to find the tees, but no basket (nor evidence of where it was) for either with quite a bit of searching and armed with a map
- Hole #8. Throwing a FH shot to a basket sitting where people are walking and/or fishing. This one didn't feel safe to me. Also if #7/#15 were where they were supposed to be - I could see safety issues here as there were people walking these trails/roads. This may be why they were pulled...maybe there is a plan for them.
- Some maintenance on the cat tails on #9 would make it a much nicer hole. As it was, the cat tails on the left and right in front of the tee took away all but a steep hyzer shot from the tee. The problem being there are 3 trees guarding a hyzer approach where a hit will put you in the water. Rather than hope I won at plinko on the shot I just overshot it on purpose and took my 3. So boring. The risk / reward just aren't worth going for a 2 as it is. Clean up those cat tails and then there is a decent shot at anny/FH or straight approach to the hole.
- Lots of wet areas of muck off the fairways.
Other Thoughts: I had very mixed feelings about this course. Missing 2 holes and a lot of the basics (tees,signs,etc) really detracted from my rating. There are also quite a few holes here that I really liked....and a handful that could be great with just a bit of pruning. On the whole there were very few that I thought were either unfair or too much throw & pray - and this is coming from someone whose home courses are on the open side. I felt with a great line I could have a look for 2 (didn't happen enough), a reasonable throw left me a bit in the rough but a makeable upshot for an easy 3....and a bad throw was just painful.

If you have the time and have already hit the better courses in the area it is worth a swing by - but if you are limited - just go to trophy lakes and enjoy your time.

Tight course!

1    6/21/2012   3/21/2014
Review By: luckypeak
Pros: -Great fairways, thru the South Carolina vegetation
-Challenging
-Good mix of shots
-heavily wooded
Cons: -A little swampy at spots
-heavily wooded
Other Thoughts: This was a course my wife and i hit up on vacation it was a great course, shaded from the sun.

1    11/24/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: I can see local players enjoying the course. Tidal Creek is the type of layout that has some fun in it if you know the course well. There are some interesting shots here but without tee signs and with blind baskets, it's tough to enjoy them on your first time out. If I could have known from the tee what I'd known by the time I had gotten to the basket, I would have enjoyed a few throws that are high risk/reward, with tight margins for error.
Cons: Still, it's not course I would recommend to the traveling player. A lot of my rating of a course comes down to how much it makes me want to throw. When I walk up to a tee, does it induce a feeling of excitement? And in short, very few of the holes here did that.

Most of the fairways seem to have previously been walking trails, and some clearly still are. I wouldn't say the design is poor on them because that would imply there is a design. The tee marker is placed at one point on the trail, later down the trail, the basket is dumped just to the side of it.

The fairway, here is just a single-track path down the center of nasty rough. I played in the winter and I did not want to walk off the trail for that disc so my throws were extremely careful. I can't imagine what it must look like in summer. A ton of that must be standing water. I doubt I'd want to even walk down the fairway in wetter months. I'm all for high risk/high reward shots in disc golf, but most of these are extremely high risk/ no reward. If I want to toss a putter carefully down a straight path, I can do that anywhere there is a walking trail and most places would be safer and more enjoyable than this one.

It doesn't help that there are no tee signs. Do you like not knowing where to throw off the tee? I bet you will love it when landing two feet off the fairway in any direction is potentially an alligator nest. Not only that, the small wooden posts must be a nightmare to find when the vegetation is in.

I'd say that this course needs better navigation, the clearing of actual fairways and a better design but I think that the location is just not suited for disc golf. Really, there are just much better places to use baskets, and much better places to disc golf in Charleston.

Up Tidal Creek

1    10/5/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Tidal Creek disc golf course is a full 18 that is not going to give you birdies just because you can throw 350' anytime you feel like it (well, maybe a couple). The distance isn't the issue, its the woods and the water. It may not be a pro for everyone, but it is what makes it a little different from a lot of other courses. The first hole is really nice, a corridor atop a berm lined with trees and a drop off to the left. Hole 2 tees from the top of that berm, and plays down a few feet into the flats. This is where the personality of the course begins to reveal itself. On the scorecard/map I printed, there are only 3 holes over 300', 2 are fairly open and playing along maintenance roads cut through the woods (7 and 15). The rest average less than 250' (7 holes under 200'), and they range from moderately wooded, up to I'm really not confident anything I can throw will ever work. Thats a slight exaggeration, but I was uncomfortable with several of my tee shots to say the least. I did enjoy birdies on numbers 3 and 17, with some luck. On hole 8 it's short and open with water to the left and right, I went OB left, but got the disc back. 9 is another nice putter drive, across the water. Potential for an ace, but can't be short or too long, kind of an island-ish feel. Fairways have lefts, rights, and some straight down the middle, and are very often narrow. Totally unprepared for the amount of bonks and scrubs off of tree trunks and branches all day. It isn't always pretty, but it is 18 baskets, and they are not all visible at the same time. Therefore it rates minimum of 3 out of 5 according to my optimistic Disc Golf Course Review principals. Although I had a hard time the first run through, it is fun, challenging, and pretty good for the property that is available. And there are plenty of shorties that could yield 2's on the scorecard if you had a good game plan. I wouldn't mind if they cut out a bit more lumber here and there.

There are 4x4 posts making the tee boxes at each hole, and thats about it. Black sharpie numbers are still visible on some of them. All of the baskets were disc catchers in good shape, numbered in sequence. I do recall some benches, and at least one trash can adjacent to the course, after hole 5, probably a couple more out there.
Cons: There are some serious gripes that hold this course back. Several years ago I attempted to play here, and everything visible after the first hole was under knee deep water. Time for Plan B. Even when playable and mostly dry, there is standing water and muck in several areas throughout. Tee boxes are natural, primitive, unimproved, exposing the roots, dirt. Didn't like it. There are no signs, so do yourself a favor and print the map. Even then it can be tricky to follow the layout in a couple of spots. I lost the trail momentarily after hole 2 (walk directly to the left from the basket). And there was no obvious path between 15 and 16. I ended up walking the long way around after 15 and backtracking 16, via holes 7 and 6. Thats with a map. Once you're familiar this should not be a big issue, and I would think fast and efficient rounds would be possible, as long as you stay dry. I bet the bugs would be unbearable during the summer heat. In some areas other people may be walking on the course, so take precautions.
Other Thoughts: I was way over par, and very frustrated the trees turned my round of disc golf into Plink-O. First time through, this one got the best of me. Tidal Creek 1, Aaron 0. The exposure to flooding may discourage further improvements in terms of tee pads and signage. Still, I got to play 18 holes of disc golf on a beautiful October afternoon, so I had a pretty good experience. If I lived nearby, I would surely visit this course occasionally, when the conditions were right.

5+    7/15/2013   8/14/2013
Review By: jacetheace517
Pros: 1) Tight fairways
2) Gorgeous surrounding
3) Not easy, but not back breakingly difficult
Cons: 1) Water. There's lot of standing water here and that is ankle deep. Not a problem in an open field, but the woods are also thick, so if its ankle deep you may never find it without a good spotter
2) Wildlife. Mostly mosquitoes, but ticks and such are a problem during the summer months
3) Navigation. Play with a local. Seriously. Get on here, or reddit and organize a meet up before you try to play this course alone. There's no signage, just wooden posts in the ground marking the tee area.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course. I've been playing disc golf for about 7 months now and this was my favorite course when I started. BUT...do not play during the summer months. I hadn't played in since march and went back in July and it was unbearable. January-March is a great time for this course. Charleston doesn't get cold so its not a huge deal as far as temperature is concerned.

I'm a local, and I really like this course, but it is very unforgiving if you get off the fairway.

not worth stopping at

1    5/25/2013   5/25/2013
Review By: madasfire
Pros: It's in South Carolina.
It had disc catcher baskets
Cons: Signage was wood posts with sharpie numbers...
There were zero lines and zero maintenance
Not all baskets were numbered
Lots of water hazards
Other Thoughts: I've played woods courses in Tennessee and played 5 courses in South Carolina before this one. I wish I would have doubled up any one of those instead of wasting my time here. I can't accept throwing into trees as "tight fairways". Those aren't fairways, it's more like "here's a tee pad and somewhere down there is the basket".

Pay the $5 and go to Trophy Lakes. It's fun, challenging, and you can at least get discs back.

overgrown bugfest

5+    4/20/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: slickwheels
Pros: Nice baskets, bathrooms nearby. Some decent holes.
Cons: This course seems to never get any maintainance. Overgrown fairways. Too many throw and prey holes. More mosquitoes than I have ever seen on any dg course(yes I know it is in a swamp). Usually some flooding.
Parking on the weekends can be difficult as the soccer families usuall take all the parking.
Other Thoughts: Go to trophy lakes or any of the other 10 nearby courses instead...unless you like mosqito bites.

Tight, Tough but fun!

1    2/9/2013   2/11/2013
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: As everyone has stated...simply beautiful surroundings! Especially in the winter when the skies are crystal blue. If you are into technical courses, this is your place to be. Some of the fairways you couldn't walk side-by-side down. Thankfully many of the holes were short, and if you hit your mark, your either on the backet or in it.

This course can be a birdie fest, and if played carefully you can keep your score subpar. Take your eye on the prize and man-oh-man are you in for a world of hurt!
Cons: I'm not a fan of the knee-capping tee markers. Trip over those or drive into them and you're in rehab. Expecially since most of the fairways are berms and you're most likely going to take a header into a tree or marsh

Some directional signs would be a big help. If we didn't have a guide I'd be lost several times.

And what's up with 18? Like the old saying, 'I couldn't see the fairway for the trees in the way!' All I'm saying, there ain't not fairway!

THere were also a few holes that were litereally close your eyes and drive and PRAY you penetrated.
Other Thoughts: I hear spring/summer is HORRIBLE due to the bugs and snakes. But the winter time is really a great time to play

Pretty Cool

1    7/10/2012   7/10/2012
Review By: Steelo
Pros: Scenic, and awesome walk through the woods. Great baskets and fun shots
Cons: No signs indicating where the next teepad is, though most of the locations were easy to find if you follow the beaten path. The most difficult transition is from 14 to 15 as it is the farthest transition.
Other Thoughts: Just add a drawing to the teepad poles so that new players have an idea of where the basket is. Also, with the disccatcher baskets tape or paint can be added to the top metal bars indicating the direction of the next pad.

Swampy!

1    6/21/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 5/24/2013
Pros: Lots of shot variety...longer holes tend to play dead straight, while others force shots both right and left. Very technical and demanding. Perhaps the biggest pro of the whole course is the entire environment is really beautiful...never thought I would enjoy a walk through a tidal swamp so much.

Nice sports fields around to warm up in, and really close parking to the first tee (although it is hard to find if you haven't looked at the map.)
Cons: Course is at times overly technical. Some holes are very narrow and feature water on both sides, and this is a bit disconcerting because of the area - the course map warns of gators, rattlesnakes, etc.

The tee boxes are not the flattest and are dirt.

Course really really needs signs to the next hole and the start of the course. You can wander a bit without really knowing where you are going. Also, signs of the hole direction would be a big plus, because the vegetation during the summer can tend to block out vision a bit.
Other Thoughts: A few tee markers are missing. All of them were missing on the 12th hole...but there was a Budweiser can in the hole that used to evidently be the tee marker. Some other holes only have 1 tee marker, but lack the other one.

I unfortunately found myself a bit too worried about wildlife and that detracted from my experience a bit. Its tough to really concentrate at times when your back is to a large body of water that may have a gator in it. Plus the mosquitoes were borderline unbearable.

Overall it is a nice, wooded, technical course. It is obviously young, but since they have already updated and put in a new tee for the sixteenth hole, i am inclined to believe that the upkeep will continue to be nice.

Would be nice to have a practice basket.

UPDATE 5/24/13 - Course is in pretty good shape. Tons of bugs. They have moved the basket on 15 making it a much much longer hole, and the basket on 16 is moved off to the right. This makes navigation much more difficult. Signs are needed. Par likely needs updated on 15 as well.

< Prev 1 2 3 4