Charleston, SC
Fire Swamp DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #13 (Taken 12/2010)
Hole #13 Approach

You will either like Tidal Creek, or you wont!

1    12/30/2010   1/1/2011
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/27/2013
Pros: -Challenging course, located in a recreation area. This course is not for beginners.
-You will pass a gas station/Quiznos just before you arrive at the park.
-Very tight wooded course that requires strategic approaches to make par.
-Fun for me, but I know that it's not for everyone.
-Plays fast, (as long as you know where you are going) Which helps if you are trying to hustle through the course.
-I forgot to see if there were bathrooms onsite. (If someone will let me know, I'll update accordingly) As I mentioned, there is a gas station on the way to the course.
-It was fairly easy to navigate, except for a couple of the holes where navigation would have helped.
-Garbage cans located throughout the course. (Though they are situated to where they dump over easily)
-natural tee pads, tee markers mark the tee area. The hole # is written on the tee markers.
-Multiple water hazards
-#8 has water on both sides
-#9 is a 156ft pond shot
-Most of the holes are risk/reward.
- The course twists and turns through the woods. There are plenty of Doglegs, and other deviations throughout the course.
-During the winter, the course is fairly dry.
-Came upon a group of Disc Golfers, and they were very nice and let me play through. (I was playing solo)
-Though there is no practice basket, there is a soccer field that one could use to warm up on.
Cons: -Depending on when you play here, may dictate how busy it will be.
-I did have a problem with pedestrians of the non-dg variety, walking up on me from basket towards the tee. Sometimes they would just appear out of the woods. This happened 5 or 6 times, and I would be a gentleman and let them pass.
-The path to the first tee is rather hidden. If you are facing the soccer field, the first tee runs inside the treeline on your left.
-Tidal Creek really could use some navigational signs, because I found myself not sure where to go next a couple of times.
-Definitely need some navigational signs from 14 to 15! I wandered around for 10 minutes and ended up calling my wife for navigation off the map from DGCR.
-Rain could make play here difficult, as well as bugs in the summertime.
-It could be very easy to lose a disc in water, mud, or the shrubs in general. Be accurate with your throws!
-Dangerous wildlife call this course home as well, be cautious.
Other Thoughts: Before you decide to play here, you need to know whether you want to play here. If you don't like:
-tight courses. ...and I mean VERY tight courses!
-playing around swampy areas.
-playing in areas where you could potentially lose multiple discs.
-you've only been playing a short time.
Then you may want to reconsider playing here. Tidal Creek is not for everyone.

If there is one thing I've gathered about Tidal Creek, it's an either/or course. Either you will like this course, or you will hate this course. There's not a whole lot of in between. I, myself, enjoy these kinds of courses and I had fun here! Granted I did play here in Dec, when it's dry and not so buggy, but I enjoyed it. It's exactly what everyone has been saying in their reviews. You will either find that attractive, or you wont. I liked the fact that I had to think about my approach and carefully choose my line. The majority of the holes here have a risk/reward. Including water hazards, one of which is a 156ft "cross the pond" shot. This is not the course to break out your guns. In fact, I primarily threw my Hydra, Buzzz, and Roc. It's about strategy, not distance. Dial down your power, and be precise. In some cases, be accurate! For what it's worth, I walked away with all my discs! :)

Pay close attention to your surroundings, those "Gator, Snakes, and Yellow Jackets" signs are up for a reason. For footwear, I would definitely advise against sandals and/or Flip flops. This place can get muddy, so dress accordingly. You are in the swamp where snakes can come out of nowhere. Be advised At least there are alternatives in Charleston, so you can opt out if you are so inclined.

Finally: Big time thanks to the group that stopped their game and offered to let me play through! Thank you! :)

Ship this course up north!

1    12/30/2010   12/30/2010
Review By: N8malibu
Pros: Being from New England, I thought when a local told me this course was tight, I would be disappointed, I was not! It's tighter than I expected which is what I prefer. Mostly straight forward except for a few holes where you'll need an anhyzer or hyzer. Bring your whole bag of tricks with you except maybe your super distance drivers. Scenery was incredible, what a nice change of pace from the norm!
Cons: Lack of signage makes it a bit difficult to navigate without scoping out at least a few of the holes before you let rip.
Other Thoughts: walk out to the road from 14 and toward the exit a way, 15 is down a service road on the right behind a gate.

Loved it!

1    9/5/2010   10/1/2010
Review By: Biscuits
Pros: Just the right distances.
Tight shots force you to throw a solid line.
Requires you to choose shots wisely.
Cons: A little too secluded (saw kids trying to "sneak away").
Definitely needs signage.
Other Thoughts: When I played, it was about 95 degrees out, and it had not rained recently. I found this to be my favorite course in the Charleston area. The one thing I did not like was the lack of signage. this is BADLY needed on this course, as well as some cement pads would be nice.

I gave this course a 4 judging on my one and only experience with it.

accuracy test

1    6/12/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: The course is tight, but there is some really nice nature to take in with wild palms and other swamp land scenery.
-fun, mostly short holes
-high risk /medium reward
- I had little trouble navigating the course
- had the course to myself
Cons: If you are not an accurate thrower you will have a chance of losing your disc.
There are standing water/ muddy areas along a few of the fairways besides the water holes which becomes a problem because of the tightness.
-better tee signs would be nice
-natural tee pads
-broken glass in a few places
Other Thoughts: As far as the wildlife... I was very lucky. I saw no snakes, and I was expecting the worst for bugs but they really weren't bad for me.
If you can throw accurately or don't get frustrated by tight fairways you can make a good time of it.

looking for some fun

5+    12/17/2009   1/27/2010
Review By: discchris
Pros: a nice tight wooded course one of the best ive ever played no course is like it, It will make you become accurate and if you dont have a big arm you can still score good
Cons: There are alot of spiders and snakes but remember you are in sc woods, You can lose some discs here might want to play with some you dont care to much about.
Other Thoughts: Most people do not like this course and i dont understand why ive played quite a few courses from the west coast all the way to the north and i compare every one to this course and have only really lost two discs here and have played 100 times i love it and cant wait to play again

WEST ASHLEY

2-4    7/12/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: TSchneidz2
Pros: If you are looking to work on your accuracy, you are in the right place. Although, if you are having a day in which you cannot throw straight, you will be wading through swamp water, massive spider webs, and many snakes.
Cons: While wildlife is important to the eco-system, you will be very tired of mosquitoes, spiders, and snakes by the end of your round.
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for the best round in the area, I would head to Trophy Lakes but this course isn't a total waste of time if you are not a beginner.

Just wow.

1    5/12/2009   6/6/2009
Review By: SmittyDisc
Pros: lots of charming nature, a couple of interesting holes, nearby soccer fields for practice throws.
Cons: lots of not so charming nature: mosquitos, snakes, swampland, etc.
ridiculously difficult for all but very skilled players, tight fairways, dense disk-eating vegetation, and pretty hard to navigate at points.
Other Thoughts: nearly all holes play in heavily wooded swamp. the fairway for the front 9 is a 4 foot wide berm with grassy swamp on either side, so prepare to lose a couple of discs. I have to agree with other reviewers that hole 2 is pretty awful to play. This course demands a lot of accuracy and skill, definitely not recommended for beginners/casual players.

Bad Choice

1    4/5/2009   4/5/2009
Review By: Mgray129
Pros: None
Cons: To be quite honest, it was one of the worst courses i have ever played. It just seems like someone took a chainsaw and cleared TINY paths and put baskets in. It's literally in a swamp, incredibly wet everywhere, extremely easy to lose discs, almost no signs, and if you get off the fairway, nearly impossible to make par. If you attempt to play it, i would suggest using a spotter on every hole simply to locate your drives. Really has to have a major makeover before i will even attempt to play it again.
Other Thoughts: If your in the area, skip this one and play Trophy Lakes. Extremely fun and challenging and well worth the $5 for unlimited rounds.

It's called Tidal Creek for a reason

1    3/12/2009   3/13/2009
Review By: 33tango
Pros: I can't think of any. Really. I'd rather play an object course on the soccer fields.
Cons: Way too swampy. Many "fair"ways consist of a berm that rises out of the swampy areas, so if you don't land in an area 4 feet across then you're in black water or rolling down into it. The only two fairways are on paths/roads. 4-wheelers have damaged the course badly in places. You must scout your shots, what looks like a dry area ahead is most likely standing black water.
Other Thoughts: If you only have time for one course in Charleston anything but this would be best. Go play Park Circle or Trophy Lakes.
I really feel bad for the people who went to the effort here. It isn't mosquito season yet, I cannot imagine being in this blackwater bog during the worst of summer.

When I hit the trailhead the locals were getting ready for something. When I told them it was my first time on the course and didn't have a map with me I got a lot of raised eyebrows. I did study a map in advance several times and was able to navigate without problems, but what you really need your first round is a guide to tell you where the bogs you can't see from the tee are. FTF-5

how can anyone possibly have rated this more than 1 star?

1    11/20/2008   11/20/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: -Map is available online (a must get map).
Cons: -Main con: Design. All too tight fairways with no reward and too much risk. Too many sharp blind turns with no fairway to hit- just praying to get a shot through the trees or throw a lame soft putter shot part of the way up a 150' hole. Every shot is punished. Hole #2 is a joke one of the worst holes of all time.
-Too much water in play. Most holes are either lined with murky black swamp water, over water, or have small hidden pools of water just everywhere- #16 is 2/3 water in the fairway, can't even get to the basket without getting wet feet. Good luck not losing a disc, even off a great shot. MUST SCOUT EVERY HOLE or too much risk.
-Bad dirt tee pads, some lined with too-high wooden blocks that a short thrower who likes to throw low will have to think about when teeing, and one had nail-heads sticking out the top which need to be hammered in or someone could rip their arm open when throwing.
-Most 'signs' damaged or gone, weird layout.
Other Thoughts: Just one of the worst experiences I've ever had on a course, an absolute waste of baskets. The land is not suitable for disc golf, and it's not well designed, well marked, or well enough cleared.

It will make the short list of worst courses of all time.