Montevallo, AL

1 2 Next >
 Quaint Campus

1    4/2/2009   4/2/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Montevallo is a quiet little town with a quiet little campus. The course is very solid for a small college and they use as much land as they had available. There is not a lot of elevation, but what there is is used nicely. Some baskets are perched at the edge of steep drop-offs. The course was well manicured.
Cons: The first few holes were fairly easy with few (if any) obstacles. Natural tees were extremely slippery due to rainy conditions. The town is a little bit of a drive from Birmingham and not very convenient from anywhere. One hole had unused soccer goals in the middle of the fairway which were not appealing to the eyes. There were also some navigational issues as there are no signs and few directional instructions.
Other Thoughts: This course started as a very typical open course. It didn't really jump out at me until about hole 6. Then there were some really solid design elements that came into play. The key element that added difficulty was basket placement. There were multiple holes where putts had to be carefully planned out to reduce the adverse effects of a "blow-by". If I went to this school I would be ecstatic to have a course like this on campus.

Last thing that I will mention is very odd but I distinctly remember. While we were driving around campus looking for the course, we noticed that no one at this school was smiling. They didn't even look melancholy. Everyone had a scowl on their face...and it was Friday! We thought that perhaps Fridays meant something disgusting in the school cafeteria or something else terrible. I am not sure, but in any case I would not be frowning with access to a disc golf course like this.

This is a slightly above average course to me. It is probably not worth driving 500 miles to play, but if you live in Birmingham or happen to be passing through, it is worth the stop.

montevallo

1    10/12/2008   10/13/2008
Review By: wdemick
Pros: short holes have challenging pin positions,nice layout, quick play
Cons: too many wide open holes
Other Thoughts: overall I like this course and will return though I prefer more wooded layouts.

1 2 Next >