Colorado Springs, CO
Cottonwood Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: J.Kasm Hole #3 (Taken 3/2009)
4 / 380ft.   4 / --   3 / 380ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
 Good course but busy

5+    12/25/2013   1/7/2014
Review By: CDiz001
Pros: This is a nice course. There are many different types of shots you will have to use on this course(forehand, backhand, overhand). This is the first course I played on when I started disc golf. The upkeep of the course is great and have found this to be a fun, challenging course.
Cons: Where do I start? First, the course is next to a park and walking trail. I have noticed a lot of non disc golfers strolling through the course having no idea where there at even though there are warning signs posted about flying discs. I have found most other golfers are friendly on this course minus some who think there the best thing that ever happened to disc golf or they have no idea about proper disc golf etiquette! Also since this is the only course in Colorado Springs, it can get packed at times which makes it frustrating to play sometimes. On these days you have to have your head on a swivel here.
Other Thoughts: I really, really enjoy this course but I have found that coming here at certain times is just too crazy. Since I am becoming a regular disc golfer now, I am finding some of the other courses a better option to get away from the traffic of this course. During the warmer months, I have found this course to be a great play in the early morning or as things are dying down in the evening. Still, even after the negative things about this course I will keep playing here since it is close to home and a challenging course. It would be great if the city would add more courses since this one gets a lot of use. It may make traffic lighter at this course!

not bad given the constraints

5+    7/7/2013   7/12/2013
Review By: jlangr
Pros: A fun course with many very-well laid out holes. The first 3 holes are great and take good advantage of the natural terrain (essentially a large "bowl"). 4 and 5 provide an opportunity to open up. From there you're challenged with a number of holes that wind through a second tree-filled bowl. 9 and 10 are good uses of different elevation--9 goes from the bowl to the plateau, and 10 back the other way.
Cons: Three of the holes (4, 5, 7) require you to wait for frequently-passing pedestrians on a walking path that runs parallel to each of these holes. Some of the more brazen players don't wait (I saw one guy confident he was throwing the other direction end up hitting an old guy on the shin), and create more ill-will by the neighborhood folks to the course and its players.

The basket for hole 17 is under the flight path of tee 10, and the tee for 18 is in the way of particularly bad throwers from 10. This area can be a bit of a traffic jam on busy days.

The guys who help run the course and keep it clean generally do a good job, but tend to get over-zealous with trying to create new basket positions. (IMO, rotating between three possible positions, clearly marked on a map, should be plenty.)

Given the dearth of courses in the area, this one's a bit too crowded most days.
Other Thoughts: It's fairly hard to lose a disc on most holes. Getting your disc stuck high in a tree is the most likely risk. You also have the potential to lose it in the very thick, swampy reeds in front of tee #3 (I lost one with a throw that sailed left from tee 2).

Head's Up

1    8/13/2012   1/13/2013
Review By: RibDaddy
Pros: Challenging holes, creative basket placement, good use of space and one of the few courses in the Springs currently.

Back 9 has some nice shade
Cons: Loads of people and flying discs so look alive or you might get hit!

Very little shade on the front 9

Fun to play

5+    12/2/2012   12/2/2012
Review By: EricBasile
Pros: good course with weekly changes to the basket
hard to lose a disk
right next to a big field that you can warm up on
Cons: Entirely too much traffic going through this place. Some times i have to wait for like 15 minutes each hole because slow people or a bunch of people jogging in the line of fire.
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for less traffic i would suggest you take a drive of just hit up wide field instead.

Way underrated!

1    8/31/2012   8/31/2012
Review By: AndyJB
Pros: -Super fun course with some great holes
-Pretty challenging for a public park course
-Good tee signs showing all the possible basket placements
-Baskets and teepads are very well kept up
-Decent variety of shots needed to weave through the trees and take the various doglegs
Cons: -Despite there being trash cans every four holes, there is trash everywhere INCLUDING broken glass!
-LOTS of crossing fairway's. My group and one other player were the only ones on the course, and we still almost got nailed by wayward discs
-No indication of which basket was active, and some of the baskets were not labled leading to scouting missions on every hole
-Even with the map, we got a little lost trying to find the tee for the 8th hole. Lots of back and forth.
-Instead of different tees, they have different pars for pro and am. Interesting concept, but that didn't help my 7 year old daughter on the two 500 foot holes
Other Thoughts: I think this course is a lot of fun, especially the "middle 9" as there is a ton of shade and trees. I parked hole 12 for a sweet bird, but the trees are so thick it was mostly luck. Still fun to play.

With that being said, I was lucky to play on a Friday morning when there was very few players. I can imagine this place just being crazy stupid when its crowded. No way to ever do a tournament here.

Bottom line: fun course, but go early on a weekday or go to less-crowded Widefield.

The Creek!!

5+    7/7/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: Shogun
Pros: This was the course I started at so I have pro's for days on this one, but I'll keep it short. This course wraps around the back side of open soccer fields. It has some smooth elevation changes to give you a chance to really bomb one. The back nine really tighten up with trees and narrow gaps to shoot through. 17 is by far the grandaddy of this course. You are shooting from the roadside back down into a lower area with the basket sitting up on a mound. The mound can pose a challenge depending on where you land, but it still makes for a great hole. 16 is a tough one, throwing up toward the tee at 17. It stretches across an open area and the tree gap starts way late in the throw.
Cons: Some of the ppl you will find here just havent figured out that there are trash cans every few holes so you will find alot of bottles and crap laying around. Lines can get long here as well since its the only course up on the north end of town.
Other Thoughts: From beginners to experts, this course has a little for everyone.

Please re-design for traffic!

1    7/25/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: CodeMonkey
Pros: Near some great recreational areas and resources. Google maps shows the course but the park lacks the signage to direct you to the beginning of the course. Interesting shots and variation. Skips happen often due to sand, hardpack, etc.
Cons: Very poorly designed course. Overlapping fairways, SUUUUPER busy in the afternoons, lots of vandalized baskets, markers, & signs, missing basket tags/markers, too many pin options with little or no indicator of which pin is active. All of these things and more make the course one of the worst I've played. Even the players I've run into that play the course regularly were finding themselves throwing at the wrong baskets. Individual tees are fairly challenging and enjoyable if you aren't stopping to wait for the the players ahead or behind you trying to play across. It's an 18 hole course, do you really need 4 pin options per tee? 2 pin options or alternate tees would double the pin options. If you are going to have that many, they need to be marked accordingly and in a way that can't been easily changed by players or vandalized. Warning signs should not be placed on top of other important course information. Most of the signs warned not to through if other players were visibly in the way (obvious) yet the course was so busy and there was so much overlap that I wasted over an hour just waiting for other players trying to play other tees (previous, next, several before or after). No recommended throw lines to get to each of the pin options. This is very important since most of the baskets are NOT VISIBLE from the tees. I found myself walking through stinky muddy bog because there was no indication of a recommended dog leg. If the course was re-designed to fix these things, it could be a great course.
Other Thoughts: I tried to keep the cons above related to play-ability. Some other things to be aware of; LOTS of loose sand on over 1/3 of the fairways. So many ants! Always smacking them off of my discs, bag, shoes, etc. Fortunately I didn't get bitten but it's probably inevitable if you stood still for long enough. I'm more than happy to help pick up trash and clean up a course while playing but this one is almost a lost cause. There's tons of broken glass everywhere (dangerous) and lots of small trash that will take quite a while to clean up. It's great to see a course that's so popular but I suspect that the main reason is because there aren't any other well known courses near by. Most other courses are out of the way or lesser known. I doubt I'll be playing this course again. Too much waiting and guessing and not enough playing. Until they redesign the course and fix it up again, I'd recommend looking up one of the other courses in the area to play.

Wonderful Terrain For A Course!

1    7/19/2012   7/19/2012
This review was updated on 8/10/2012
Pros: I love the land on which this course is built. It's a mix of dry high desert scrub area, scattered cottonwood trees, some area that could be swampy after rains and mixed brush throughout. There is a very little bit of elevation (hole # 1) and a large drainage canal comes into play on 2-3 holes. There are benches on most holes, lots of shady places to get out of hot sun, nice concrete pads and older but functunal signs. The course is recreational challenging without killing you. The lines are fair although I did find many of the baskets were hard to spot off the tee. I was lucky to be guided by a local so navigation wasn't an issue although I can see how it would be for the first timer. I was also informed just how crowded this course can get. As the holes are packed in here fairly tight, I could see some issues with discs flying about.
I saw many examples of the work that has been done by people such as steps built, elevated teebox with railroad ties as support and all the benches to rest on.
Cons: I would venture a guess and say with all the use this course gets and the way that this many holes are squeezed into this small area, that safety might be a major concern for some. Although it wasn't that busy the day I played, my guide and playing partner grip locked a drive that landed on another teebox.
Navigation would be an issue for those playing it for the first time. I didn't notice a lot of litter lying about.
Other Thoughts: I love it when courses get this much love and use. This course is a gem and Colorado Springs is lucky to have it. Take care of it by packing out your trash. Don't abuse it and help out when you can.

Lumberjackin' it ..

1    5/27/2012   6/9/2012
Review By: SMTouton86
Pros: Great course, very technically based shots with a few distance ones. Well thought out and clearly marked at the tee-off pads where your baskets can be ( has the ability to have basket in 1 of 4 places per hole ). Trees make for interesting curve shots, or you're just going to be lumberjackin' it for most of the course.
Cons: Poorly placed walking trail makes for a slower pace as I'm a RHFH thrower, my discs tend to curve towards said trail, so I have to be very careful. Parking alittle confusing initially as I neglected to look the course up in detail. GET THERE EARLY, place is very popular for both joggers/bikers and Frolfers.
Other Thoughts: I will definitely be going back, and the challenge makes for a fun day.

Criss Cross Circus of mayhem

1    4/9/2012   4/11/2012
Review By: Leroy
Pros: It has nice tee pads, almost all the holes have several trees lining fairways or blind spots to challenge you. A little bit of elevation on two or three of the holes. Decent baskets. This course is located in two bowls of sandy earth. Hole one drops into the first bowl with holes 2 and 3 also in this bowl then hole 4 skirts the river and holes 5-17 criss cross the second bowl with hole 18 leading back up the hill.
Cons: Too many holes crammed into the small area that the course is located on, thus causing fairways to overlap. A lot of the holes feel fairly repetitive in length and obstacles. Even on an early Monday afternoon the course was bursting at the seams with people. There was probably 21 different groups playing the course at once with some of the groups being 5 or 6 players. Discs constantly flying right past your head due to the tight fairways and overcrowding.
Other Thoughts: The people of Colorado Springs really seem to love their disc golf which is awesome but with half a million people and only 2 or 3 courses this place is being loved to death. This was like nothing I've ever seen in the many other courses I've played. I felt like I was in a disc golf war zone with Fore being yelled constantly and discs falling at me from all directions even when it seemed I was no where near another hole. If there were only 10 people on the course this would be a fun challenging place, but with up to 100 people on the course it becomes a demolition derby. I almost wondered if a helmet would have been a good idea. There were tee signs at each hole showing up to 4 different pin placements but with so many people you never had to guess where you were headed next. I heard that in the winter the traffic slows down so if you don't mind a little cold you might be able to relax out here. Someone on the course told me Colorado Springs is going to build 5 new courses around the city and I hope it's true because there's an overwhelming need for more of them.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5