Colorado Springs, CO
Cottonwood Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: J.Kasm Hole #2 (Taken 3/2009)
4 / 239ft.   4 / --   3 / 239ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 Quality

2-4    6/4/2008   11/4/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I just love when a course is able to have a natural (non-park) setting yet still be close to a park just in case nature calls. This course is great! It has mature tress all around and multiple pin placements and yet is open enough to be creative with your shot selection. Cottonwood also has good teeboxes and signs.

Cottonwood Creek has elevation changes, very little undergrowth and the layout is just cramped enough to be able to get in 18 without feeling like you've hiked to the next town. At the same time not so compact that you are chucking into other groups. It's a decent little gem that sits in two moderately wooded basins. I played a good round with a couple of birds and mostly threes. I had a good time there. I wish I was playing there as I write this.
Cons: I had to do a few scouting walks to see what I was throwing into but it never slowed play and the scouting missions are well worth it. I got turned around looking for a teebox and a basket or two. I suspect that the dirt can be muddy after rain, due to a lack of grass. Not having grass in my opinion is a pro, but I can imagine it beating up cheaper plastics. You have to park on the street. If you are like me and are allergic to cottonwoods, you might want to look up the danger before you enter.
Other Thoughts: This is a quality course, a must for anyone passing through the Springs. There is no chance that I will go through the Springs without playing here, none. I just noticed there are no photos of this place, well, there are now.

Not much of a grass there...

9/25/2006   7/5/2008
Review By: DeafDiscGolfer
Pros: Nice simple course to play for general players alike. Yes, some holes are too hard for beginners but good enough for pros to try to make some deuces. Haven't seen much grasses anywhere but mostly dry dirts. Easy to find discs if you are paying attention to your throwing.
Cons: Need to have local players to help you out. No tee signs or direction to next tees. Course map aren't too clear to know where the tees and baskets are at. Finding a place to park is silly. Have to park on side of the street. Sometimes the street get crowed due to soccer games right next to the course.
Other Thoughts: Its not much of a big challenge course for pros but nice to check out if you are in the area. Bit of too much thin air for me (coming from northeast) due to high altitude in Colorado Springs, make sure to drink often when playing. You will get dry-mouthed if you don't.

You Couldn't Handle the Creek!

4/15/2000   3/30/2008
Review By: weum107
Pros: Lots of nice elevation changes, long and short holes as well, and a massive wash for an O.B. on north end.
Cons: Some seriously long holes stand out here. Pro par of 3 a piece is a tough row to hoe due to a few of these mammoths. I suffered a neck injury that knocked me out for weeks while trying to exceed 500 ft with my drive on hole 9. A par of 3 on this hole feels like a birdie - it takes 2 long, perfect drives and a nice putt.
Other Thoughts: Fun course that I first learned on in 1996. Some great holes long and short. Several pin placements, a large layout and some exciting annual tournaments make this a very active local course. Won't ever forget you, Cottonwood! Thanks for the memories!

Cottonwood Creek - A Bit Long and Thick

7/14/2007   3/14/2008
Review By: DG_Wizard
Pros: This course has multiple pin placements on every hole. The signs have all of the pin placements listed. This was another course I played while on vacation last year. I agree with Perth that the course uses elevation changes well and rewards all skill levels.
Cons: This course can be long, almost to a fault, in some pin placements. The layout of some holes almost seemed to prohibit long shots in general, which I didn't like. Wooded courses don't particularly bother me, but the design of some holes seemed to overly punish those who didn't make it through EXTREMELY narrow throwing lanes. The course overall was thick and in need of some major pruning IMO. BE CAREFUL NOT TO HAVE TO CHASE A DISC DOWN THE HILL BY THE CREEK! It's harder than it looks to climb back up...
Other Thoughts: The scenery is gorgeous! I enjoyed this course, but ultimately preferred Widefield. There was also a REALLY annoying vendor that tried to harass everyone as they entered the DGC. He reminded me of a snake oil salesman.

Cottonwood Creek

9/8/2007   3/2/2008
Review By: Perth
Pros: + Variety of pin placements gives the course that "brand new feeling" every couple weeks.
+ Lots of variety on the holes themselves. A good mix of challenge and reward for all skill levels.
+ It's a pretty course with lots of trees and elevation changes.
Cons: - Spring/Summer play can result in a lot of lost discs - lots of ground cover plants.
- Unleashed dogs. And bees, hives around hole 2 mostly.
- A few pin placements make certain holes a royal pain (16 far position, Par 5 - I'm looking at you). Not "challenging" painful, but "can we please skip this hole?" ridiculous.
Other Thoughts: This course was my introduction to the game, so I admit some bias. The course has a nice variety of challenge and forces you to make some interesting choices. My favourite round ever was in the dead of winter with a light snow falling here.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >