Jeffersonville, VT
Smugglers Notch - Brewster Ridge Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #3 (Taken 9/2014)
4 / 525ft.   4 / 400ft.   4 / 340ft.   4 / 215ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Basket To Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Super fun course

2-4    6/10/2015   6/20/2015
Review By: Armandov
Pros: Where do I even begin??

- Beautiful location, set in the forest with views of Mt. Mansfield

- Super friendly staff, gave me some tips prior to my round

- Challenging, fun, and extremely well maintained

- Really nice pro shop with a snacks, bevs, and a HUGE selection of discs and apparel

- Great patio area to chill in before or after your round

- Bring your own beer! Can't go wrong at Brewster

Cons: Hard to find any!

I did notice a couple tee boxes that could use a little more stone, but looks like that is being addressed currently.
Other Thoughts: This course as something for everyone. Four different tee locations on each hole means that even if you are a newb like me you can still compete with experienced friends!

Brewster is a must to check out while in the area!

great 4.75 course

1    6/3/2015   6/5/2015
Review By: discNDav
Pros: So many to list and worth the $10 pay to play all day because:

- pro shop on site with snacks available
- plenty of cold water coolers at the start
- 4 tees per hole
- great tee signs at each tee
- six par 4's
- easy navigation
- phenomenal manicured course (reminded me of Sabattus in ME) with wood chips, gravel, cut grass, rock walls, benches and small wooden bridges
- plenty of elevation...the front 9 plays gradually uphill and then the back 9 is a lot of fun downhill shots
- scenic beauty of Green Mountain
- small stacked rocks (a poor man's Flip City)
- rock walls similar to other great N England courses
- very wooded but nothing too tight or unfair
- the staff called me about my disc left behind
- very clean port a john
- #4 putting area, simply gorgeous
- #7 fun ace run
- #10 fun downhill throw
- #11 fun downhill throw
- #12 good par 4
- #14 reminded me of hole at Hyland Orchard in MA
- #17 one of my 2 birdies
Cons: - the tees weren't cement, the long pro tees had rubber pads while the others were gravel

- #9 felt like a 'filler' hole, it was the only hole I didn't like

- #18 was rather boring after so many other great holes on the back 9

Other Thoughts: Be sure to enter or leave the Smugglers Notch area from the south. The drive to this resort is STUNNING through the mountains.

This was the only course I played in my first time in Vermont after a 6.5 drive the day before. I considered other courses but decided they would only be disappointing after playing here at Brewsters Ridge.

This course has been added to one of my favorites list on this site. I played the blue ADV tees and shot 62.

Bring food with you if you staying for more than a half day, I didn't see any convenience stores nearby.

Another 9 holes (and soon a full 18) called Fox Run of hilly prairie golf is also onsite.

1    5/24/2015   5/27/2015
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The drive to the course through Smuggler's Notch (the pass, not the ski resort of the same name) is probably the most dramatic approach to a course I've seen. You climb quickly up some windy short switchbacks before driving through several huge boulders that the road had to be built around. The walls of the mountains tower on each side, and then you're flying down the other side toward the course.

There are four configurations here: red, white, blue, and gold. Many holes feature separate tee pads for each, but some holes combine two of them.

The design here is great. It takes some work to make multiple compelling configurations on each hole. I played the blue tees and enjoyed the holes with multiple lines and challenging features. Elevation here is significant and is used well.

Among the best holes:

Hole 11: A fun downhill toss through the woods. The basket is basically straight ahead, but you'll need a straight arrow shot or some kind of S-shot to negotiate the shape of the fairway.

Hole 13: A 520-foot hole that starts flat, disappears over a slight hill, and curves right once you are on the downslope into a grove. A three would take a couple excellent shots.

Hole 9: An uphill tunnel shot that is barely over 200 feet. If you have an accurate drive, the birdie is waiting for you. But unlike most holes on the course, the rough on this hole will give you no looks. The dense, spindly trees will have you tossing back out to the fairway. I got the score I deserved on this hole, and that's as much as I'll say.

Holes 1, 6, 10, 17, and 18. None of these are signature holes, but they are what I would call "meadow golf." Lightly wooded, well manicured greens, with trouble here and there but deceptively easy holes. Highbridge in Wisconsin is the pinnacle of these types of holes, but Brewster Ridge reminded me of them.

Tee signs are great, and navigation wasn't hard with the map.
Cons: If I could give this course a 4.25, I would. And the reason is the tee pads. Most of the gold tees are rubber, but the rest are crushed gravel, and the tees are not long. Put in rubber tee pads, and I can justify a 4.5.

Lots of good holes here, but no real signature holes.
While I didn't play the gold tees, many of the holes didn't look that challenging. I felt like I could have managed okay on the golds, whereas at Maple Hill and other places, the golds require shots I just don't have.
Other Thoughts: At $7 per round or $10 for the day (including the adjacent 9-hole Fox Run course), the fee is more than reasonable. Note that while Smuggler's Notch is a ski resort, the course is not on the ski trails. This is a good thing. Courses on ski trails are usually mediocre design with tee shots that are fun until you're searching for your disc that went 500 feet down the hill. Anyway, no lift ticket required here.

Whether you like skiing, hiking, disc golfing, drinking top notch craft beers, eating Ben & Jerry's, or simply never showering, this is one of the best corners of the country. I love the scenery. While the Rocky Mountains are majestic and imposing, the Green Mountains are accessible and inviting. Everyone here is glad they came.

Everything You Want In A Course

2-4    5/25/2015   5/26/2015
Review By: StringPeachIncident
Pros: * Well Maintained
* Stocked Pro-Shop
* Awesome Variety of Shots, Woods & Field
* Professional Course, Need I say more?
Cons: * No Camping on The Slope
Other Thoughts: This course is a true disc golfers dream, the woods are amazing with a ton of intricacy and variation, amazing flow and just an overall great time. 4 different tees on most holes. Oh and Uncle Mike Got a Hole in One on 16 so there's that haha. Get out and play, then head over to Brewsters Pub and grab a barrel aged Saison and Putt from the balcony!

My favorite place to play!

5+    5/25/2015   5/26/2015
Review By: NHov64
Pros: I love how clean and manicured this course is. You can tell the grounds crew put in lots of time and effort to get things right! The course itself is challenging, but well laid out with many opportunities to throw those long, sweet shots. Pathways between holes are also well taken care of, making for an enjoyable experience, even if you're just out for a walk. The pro shop is a great spot to snag any new plastic you could need as well, they have a great selection, and carry lots of other DG related items.
Cons: No complaints here, love coming to play this course!
Other Thoughts: I heard rumors of an addition to their Fox Run 9 hole course, can't wait to see what these guys put together!

Brewster Ridge Rules, Smugglers Notch is Nifty

1    8/23/2014   9/14/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The scenic beauty of the region rivals or exceeds any other place I have been. Driving through the mountains of Vermont is a great way to spend a day. The highways were full of people taking advantage of the wonderful Saturday afternoon in late August, biking, hiking, fishing, and of course, disc golfing. I did not catch any trout, but I did play a really good course on Brewster Ridge. The pro shop furnished a scorecard, and I was on my way. The course had picked up rainfall recently, but was still very playable. You can tell course is maintained impeccably, grass was mown, some mulch had been put down recently to improve paths, and zero litter. There are four sets of tees, ranging in difficulty from easy to very technical, and really nice DISCatcher bastkets. Rubber pads on the gold tee boxes were expertly installed, roomy and level. I played the longest set, and was 6 over par (66). There are 3 par fours on the front nine, and 3 par fours on the back nine. I made four of my six bogeys on the par 4 holes, so it is safe to say the long holes gave me the most trouble. I think the subtle to moderate elevation change along with the extra distance makes them very tricky. I did not make any birdies, but the chances are out there, with 5 holes under 300' from the gold tees. Pin locations are tucked into some great spots, near large rocks, or underneath or behind clusters of trees. There are signs in between holes that point out transitions fairly well, and a map on the scorecard. The ratio of open to wooded holes is good, and none are flat out, wide open boring. There is usually elevation change, up or down, but gradual slopes that affect play, but are not extreme. Layout changes directions and mixes lines well.
Cons: There are trails for walking or cross country skiing that cross over the course in several places. I did get confused and lose the way once or twice. There are streams running near a couple of holes, but no big threat.
Other Thoughts: Brewster Ridge is a challenging, professional caliber course in the gold layout. The equipment and amenities are super. Excellent is the least you can say about it. Every hole is good or great, but none stood out as a signature hole. I did not play the Fox Run 9, or the beginner level Village 9, but it can only make the resort that much better.

Gem of the North

5+    8/22/2014   8/22/2014
Review By: MyHorseFlicker
Pros: +Amazingly well maintained.
+Mowed weekly.
+Wooded nature of course is beautiful from the fruit blossoms of spring, thru the verdant green of summer and right into the explosive colors of fall.
+Despite the proximity to the thousands of guests of Smugglers Notch Resort the course never feels crowded and wildlife sightings are common.
+Surrounding area provides numerous secondary reasons to visit including; restaurants/bars, breweries, distillery, winery, outdoor recreation, stunning natural beauty of Smugglers Notch.
+Separate tees allow for players of different skill levels or ages to be competitive.
+While course is well established, subtle things change from year to year and even within the season creating new and fun challenges.
+Multiple basket locations also keep things fresh week to week.
+Well stocked and knowledgeably staffed Pro Shop ensure that you will always have the disc or snacks you need for your round.
+A diversity of holes and challenges keep a player on their toes.
+After 18 holes, the option of another 9 awaits across the road on Fox Run Meadows. Its open meadow shots provide a different experience and can be played a little later in the day as fading light makes the wooded Brewster Ridge to dark.
+Finally when it comes to events Brewster Ridge starts off the season with the Brewster Ridge Open in the spring, and sets the bar with the Green Mountain Championship in September. Not to be missed, either as a participant or spectator!
+Best $5 you can spend, a "Must Visit".
Cons: -In the early spring before the course opens mud can be an issue.
-On occasion I have had to either wait to get the maintenance crews attention while they had hearing protection on and were working on the course or had to skip a hole do to more serious course work.
Other Thoughts: Don't feel like I can deduct points for my Con's so 5.0 it is!

1    7/8/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: Brewster Ridge was a fun course well worth our drive from Maple Hill. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) For the most part navigation was very easy. I don't remember too many confusing areas and to me navigation is a big deal when playing a new course.

2) The course had four distinct set of tees ranging from beginner (think 110' holes) to gold level tees. I thought this was awesome as it really gives beginners and pros alike the chance to enjoy the course.

3) The scenery was absolutely stunning. The drive to the course was beautiful for the last 90 minutes and the Green Mountains didn't disappoint. There were plenty of amazing photo opportunities.

4) The elevation was really a great feature to the course. The front 9 felt like it played uphill most of the way and the back 9 played mostly downhill. The back nine had some super fun downhill shots to throw.

5) The course had some distance variety, even from the long tees. A lot of times hard courses (Iron Hill, Nockamixon) have no chances for deuce but this course actually offered some nice chances for scoring. Even though this course was nearly 7,000 feet there were 5 holes under 300 feet that offered a chance for deuce. Its actually refreshing to play a long course and have a couple mental breaks and have a shot at birdie. Iron Hill is a great course to play but this course succeeds in giving you a few, nice opportunities to score.

6) This course had a pro shop...need I say more? Any time a course has a pro shop you know they are doing something right.
Cons: Honestly this course doesn't have a lot of cons for me. Just a few things worth mentioning. Keep in mind I am rating this course "Excellent" and that's a deserving rating:

1) Honestly this is probably the only major con for me on the course. The teepads were pretty rough the day we played. Some were just gravel and the guy I was playing with slipped a few times on the pad. I understand why this course wouldn't have concrete teepads but if concrete teepads were installed I would immediately raise my rating to a 4.5.

2) This is a minor con but on some of the longer, uphill par 4's we found that the landing area was very distinct and sometimes a bit lucky. A few times I threw what looked to be a great drive and my partner threw a bad drive but his disc ended up getting lucky and being in a correct landing area/lane to get to the basket. This course may just need a few landing areas for some of the uphill par 4's on the front nine to make sure that good shots don't get punished. As I said this is a minor con but just a small design preference.

3) This is also a minor con but a few of the holes had walking trails that did intersect with some of the holes. There was one hole when we threw our discs and then saw hikers at the last second. An errant shot could have hit them as their hiking trail went right across our fairway. Not a huge con but just worth nothing.

4) Finally, I thought the course had some really great holes. All in all it was a very SOLID course. However, besides hole 10 I didn't think the course had any amazing signature holes that made this course worthy of being the "best of the best". As I said, this course had a lot of good holes but nothing that was spectacular. There were a few times when we walked past a nice stream or I could hear water rushing in the background. If the course designer could have somehow brought some water into play on some of the holes I really think that would put this course over the edge and give it at least a 4.5 rating. This is not a knock on the course at all - it was well worth our 4 hour drive!
Other Thoughts: NOTE: This course is literally in the middle of nowhere. We were starving by the time we had finished our four hour drive from Maple Hill and couldn't find anything to eat around the course. The pro shop had a few candy bars and that did help! I would recommend getting drinks and food well before you hit the course.

I also like to always point out nice amenities and views for those that travel to play courses and have a wife that maybe doesn't like disc golf - this course has PHENOMENAL views of the Green Mountains. Very picturesque! This is a course that you can bring someone along with and they will enjoy the walk.

Smugglers Notch

1    7/8/2014   7/12/2014
Review By: SSCrash
Pros: Great informative guy working in the shack
Nice variety of holes
Fresh woodchips on many paths
Flypads for golds
also has blue white and red tees
Reds were highly advantaged so my wife really enjoyed staying on par
Played in the rain but the canopy lets very little rain through in the woods
Well marked and easy to follow
Scenic area
Great hike
Cons: Temporary type signage - some missing or laying on ground.
Maybe the fee because I live in a free to play area but it is very well maintained. 5 bucks very reasonable.
Best tees at golds - usually seen at the whites in my experience
White tee boxes a little short
Other Thoughts: Discs for sale and rent
Thanks for the loaner umbrella

Very, very good course

5+    6/30/2014   6/30/2014
Review By: neapolitan
Pros: Lots of variety, in the woods but plenty of open space and lanes to throw. We'll kept, up to four different tee boxes at each hole, very nice landscaping, great pro shop
Cons: Maybe the pay to play but you can really see your money is being put to good use
Other Thoughts: I have had a membership for the past to summers and have yet to find a better course in Vermont. Well kept and every time i come they have done improvements. Wish hole 11 was still where is used to be but I can see why it was moved

< Prev 1 2 3 4