Dover, OH
Deis Hill Park Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #2 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #2 Arrow to next tee

Expert Course

1    8/7/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: Ben17
Pros: This course is just phenomenal. I dont see anything here that is not to like. It is beautiful. The course is located in such a nice area. The layout of the course was amazing. They have you start at the parking lot, then go all over the park and right back where you started. To start on hole number 1 with a 827 foot hole is awesome. Really it is for all people because they have the three different tees. Personally i played from the white tee but everyone that i saw there was throwing from the red tee. So if you are a good player i would tell you to go from either the white tee or the blue tee. But even though i didn't play the blue it looked very challenging. Really at all of the tees they have concrete launch pads. The launch pad is nice so that you are stable when you throw it. I really like courses with the concrete launch pads. There is great elevation changes. This is probably the best course for elevation changes that i have ever played. The DGA pins were very nice with the double layer of chains. The sign at the tee was probably the nicest that i have ever seen. First they have the par and distance like all of the others do. But the on thing that really caught my eye was the picture on there pointing to the pin. I have never seen this before but i think that it is amazing because if you cant see the pin right away the picture points you there and then thats when you know where it is. It is not a confusing course. Many courses that i have played take you everywhere and you dont know the way to the next tee. That is for sure not the case here. You could navigate throughout the course without a map, but personally i printed one out just in case. When you go into the woods they are just so wide and so fun to play in. The trees are very tall and very well taken care of. Every hole is different and challenges you differently. While some challenge you in distance others challenge you in accuracy. On the very first hole there is a yellw sign with an arrow pointing down to the pin. This is very nice because on that hole you really cant see the pin, so this really helps. It is actually connected to the pin. Like i said before this course is just phenomenal. So it may be a little challenging but it is full of fun.
Cons: Really i have no clue what to put here. To tell you the truth there are only a couple of minor cons. On only like two holes the blue tee doesn;t have a concrete launch pad. Also on a few of the middle holes the white and blue tee is mixed and it was kind of hard for me to figure this out. Thats it for the minor cons.
Other Thoughts: I cant even explain this course into words it so amazing. These holes are just so much fun. I would play here all day if i could. I was in the area and thought that this may be somewhat nice, but i was so surprised and i will be coming back here very soon. So what if its four hours from my house i would drive here every day if i could. My favorite hole is hole #17. They have a skinny fairways surrounded by big pine trees. You need to be very accurate to get a good throw on this hole. It is my all time favorite hole and i even triple bogeyed it. I think that soon this will be one of the top courses in the country. In my mind it already is one of the top courses. If you are ever in the area you have got to come here and play this course. There is no way that you could be disappointed. I strongly reccomend that you go here and have the time of your life, like i did.

Huge. Lush. Awesome.

1    7/31/2010   8/2/2010
Review By: Conect11
Pros: Three pads per hole.
Very professional and helpful signs / maps.
Perhaps as challenging a course as you'll find in Ohio.
Course designers are clearly lovers of disc golf.
Huge and expansive with lush, rolling hills.
Beautiful scenery.
Large variety of different shots.
Lefty and righty friendly holes.
Some holes reward risk, many reward conservative play.
Cons: If you are out of shape this course will be happy to let you know that fact.
Watch out, black widow spiders observed in wooded area on hole 11.
Other Thoughts: My friends and I went to the legendary Deis Hill Park course on July 31, 2010. This course is huge, the pro pads will have you throwing nearly two miles by the time you complete 18 holes. I agree with the posters who said that this course will give be happy to let you know you're out of shape, and that playing it twice is a test of will.
Once you find hole 1 (a monstrous 900+ footer on the pro pad) navigating the course is easy. Park by the first hole; the next parking lot is by hole 4, and there is a monster hill to climb to get back to hole 1 if you make that mistake, like we did. I can't get over how much real estate was used to create this course. Beautiful woods and ponds, lush, rolling hills, scenic drops that can turn what looks like an easy 10 foot putt into a 400 foot nightmare if you miss. I have mad respect for Deis Hill Park. Not sure if my body could handle it every week, but definitely worth checking out. The tee pads are all concrete, and each has a very professional looking sign and map. I was rather entertained by the fact that each hole has a name, such as "Tornado Alley, Kings Row, Turn for the Worse" etc. "Turn for the worse" lives up to its name, especially if you're a lefty. (like me) I'm still having nightmares about that hole. (11) Kings Row (17) is a tunnel straightaway shot through a bank of majestic trees. To the left is a paved road, to the right a hill that will send your disc 400 feet to the bottom if you miss. Ouch. Hole 15 ("Tornado Alley") plays up the opposite side of the hill next to an amphitheater through the woods. This course has an awesome mix of tight and technical and open long shot holes; sometimes these even get combined. One thing that I was amazead by was how empty the course was on a beautiful Saturday. I would have thought with as highly rated as this was that we would have been waiting to play, but no; there were only two other groups there. (and on such a large course you'll really never be in each others' way.) Go visit the good people of Dover, Ohio, and put Deis Hill Park on your list of must play courses!

Wow!

1    7/16/2010   7/16/2010
Review By: kinger
This review was updated on 7/2/2011
Pros:
~Variety throughout the entire 18 holes
~Amazing condition with great amenities
~3 sets of 12' concrete tees that create 3 distinct ways to play this beast of a course
~Great signs and wonderful baskets
~ All terrain provides for a nice hike
~Good flow, easy to navigate, well laid out course
Cons:
~Hole 9 doesn't finish near the start, no biggie if playing a full round
~It's not closer to my home
Located 30 minutes directly South of me, I have been eagerly waiting for the right opportunity to make my way down and play this course. You can tell right away that those who designed this course had a fun time in doing so. Challenging yet not overly intimidating (unless you play from the blue tees) I enjoyed every single hole on this course. Plenty of technical holes requiring tight angles and precise navigation. You start in an open area and wind yourself along roads, shelters, into a wooded setting then out into more open fields where you can really let your discs fly. Eventually you work your way past an amphitheater along a gravel road, through 2 rows of narrow evergreens and finish along the side of a hill. This course had my heart going and my mind racing almost the entire time. Simply a fantastic place, and a must stop.

Strong-Armed

1    7/2/2010   7/14/2010
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 7/15/2010
Pros:
Three concrete tees per hole, the exceptions being 7 & 8, where white=blue tee, and 18, no concrete on blue nor white.. Each tee had great signs, showing the distance, shape, and even a photo of each hole. Practice basket.
Cons:
Hot summer day => pool usage => cars parked close to #15's fairway. Small parking lot may come into play at midpoint of #5.
The course plays in the open space, between clusters of woods, and at times, within/through said patches of woods, of a very large public park located a few minutes off I77. Elevation changes will be evident on most every hole - you'll experience quite a workout playing here. Should throw a fair blend of left/right/no turning shots, and with some extremely long and open holes, you'll have plenty of chances to throw your distance drivers. For this review, I played the course from the whites.

Nothing quite says "Big Arms Welcomed Here!" than hole-1 being 800'+, wide-open, right-to-left slope, with a blind (large, visible arrow helps you find it) basket located behind an out-of-bounds parking lot, and having a tree-filled hill behind! Big-armed blasters should enjoy very long, very open holes 1, 13-14, and 18. Prefer a little less open, little less length? Somewhat shorter, mostly open with either a couple of large trees and/or a cluster/edge of woods to avoid, challenges can be found on nearly half the holes (3-5, 9-12, 16). Want tight woods and/or narrow lanes to hit? Scratch that itch on holes 2, 6-8, 15, 17.

Favourite holes: #15 was an interesting hole - wide-open initially, uphill to a small opening at the edge of a woods (which is where the red tee was located). From there, a sharp left-turn (i.e. straight from the short tee) up a tree-filled slope, needing a little right-fade at the end to find the basket. Also liked #8, slightly downhill initially, needing a subtle right at the midpoint, tree-lined the bulk of the length, opening up a bit with some scattered trees towards the end.

As an alternative to starting at hole-1, find 20th street, and follow the signs to the pool - only $2 to enter, adult-only swim for 15=minutes on the hour, and tee-10 is at the back of the pool's parking lot.

Very good course that should provide you with a pretty good workout, and plenty of distance-driving opportunities.

Deis Hill Park

5+    7/5/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: e_dragon2110
Pros: Well maintained
too much focus on long drives from the tee
plentaly of trash cans
Cons: No water foutians
Hole 11 should be a par 4
restrooms are usualy locked
Other Thoughts: Good course but could use a little improvement. vending machines would b nice or even water foutians along the course.

Exceptional

5+    3/19/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: Mike C
This review was updated on 6/10/2011
Pros: -The best teepads and tee signs I've seen. The Teepads are all concrete except for a few, and the signs have excellent pictures and distances listed.

-Navigation is very easy.

-Extremely well maintained. The grass is always kept nice and short.

-There are multiple benches and trashcans scattered through the course.

-Huge drives. Between the white and blue tees there are drives between 400' and 900'+ long. Hole 1 from the blues is nearly 1000' long, which is a nice change of pace from the many deuce runs on nearby courses. I can't express how nice it is to be able to rip full power drive after full power drive and not be in danger of running past the basket. Not many courses cater to players with over 450' of distance, so Deis Hill is special to me.

-3 complete sets of tees, nearly all of them with their own color coded signs. Having 3 different tees for every hole adds a lot of replay value to the course and lets you tailor the experience to your skill level. Reds offer a lot of ace runs, while whites and especially blues will be challenging your distance.

-Hole 14 blue tee. It's on top of a huge hill where you can just bomb drives and watch them sail for a long, long time. It's not unusual to see players emptying their bag here.

-Extremely pleasant surroundings. Nice variety in tree size & species, plenty of shade in between wide open distance holes, picturesque water fountain with encircling walking track complete with swinging benches, full size swimming pool etc. This is a park I would enjoy going to even without my discs.

-Extremely little interference from non-discgolfers. 3, 4 and 5 play near a road and walking path, but they do not intersect with any of the holes.
Cons: -If you are out of shape, it will make you fully aware of that fact. Have brought people with me to this course that didn't even throw the last few holes because the elevation whipped them. I guess this would be a con to some players but to me it's a pro because I find the trek invigorating.

-Hole 5 plays over a small parking lot where one or two cars are often parked. Take caution going for the RHBH hyzer route.

-You eventually have to leave. =/
Other Thoughts: I've tried hard to think of anything bad to say about this course and it's tough. It's a phenomenal course and I have trouble understanding why it's gotten some negative reviews. Yes, there are many long holes...if you don't enjoy that play the red tees. There's a variety of shots in terms of lines, distances and elevation changes, and there's a good mix of open and wooded holes.

I usually play mostly whites, 14 blue and a few reds on holes that I don't care for the white tees much (Danhyzer comes to mind, hole #6, and hole #15).

I can't express enough how much I enjoy this park. This would be worth driving to as a destination. If you have the time, you could make a day out of playing Dover, Massillon and Canton, as they're all fairly close and very good courses.

Home Sweet Home

2-4    11/26/2009   11/27/2009
Review By: nightgoat
Pros: Very easy to navigate, some of the best hole signage I've ever seen. Having been playing in south east Virginia for the last 6 years, its nice to see and play some serious elevation changes. The tee from the blues on 14 was bad ass, never played a giant drop off like that before. Lastly, its 3 miles from my moms house, so when I make it up here 2 times a year now, its a little less boring.
Cons: I agree with some of the previous reviews that a little more usage of some trees or some sort of diffulculty on the wide open holes would have been nice. It is one hell of a workout, 2 rounds back to back is a test of will.

Very Good.

1    11/14/2009   11/16/2009
Review By: Technohic
This review was updated on 7/30/2010
Pros: Great concrete teepads
Great signage
Well kept
plenty of trash cans (dont litter people)
Elevation changes
Bombers paradise
Cons: Lacks shot variety
Overly focused on long shots
Good shot will still leave you with bad footing at spots
Restrooms were locked, which is not nice on such a long course.
Other Thoughts: Well, for the most part this is a very nice course, great for long throws without worries for the most part but lacking in technical shots other than hyzer or anhyzer.

With how big it is, I think the course could afford to have a random tree obstacle here and there to make shots more interesting and probably add a few holes just in the long walks from your last basket to the next tee. There was a lot of back-tracking like they were crammed for space but that is obviously not the case.

The hills make you feel like a mountain goat by the time you are done and makes shots interesting with elevation changes but also can make footing difficult to unsafe in spots.

Hole 2 was about the only tight hole and from there, it wasnt much more than a hyzer or anhyzer shot, dictated to your largely what you will do, not leaving much choice in shot selection risk vs reward.

There were bathrooms there, in one spot, which happened to be locked when we were there. Given the course size and the ammount of liquid you are likely to drink, I think it would be a nice addition to get some sort of restroom out there at some point that is accessible at least during day hours. Otherwise, you are encouragin guys to go in the woods and discouraging women from likely wanting to go out there at all.

I do find this to be a very good course so I want to finish on the positives. The teepads and the signs are the best I have seen. This is also a great course for people with big arms who want to really air it out and the course is nicely kept which is an accomplishment given its size. A+ as far as this area goes.

All in all, I know now I had no business having my fiance out there as it was a bit much for her, and the same for my 10 year old, but to test myself for distance, I would return.

To be clear, if this reveiw is comming off as negative, it really isnt. If anything it is the best maintained course, tees and signage that I have ever seen and it is only lacking in a few extra obstacles that might make some holes more interesting and maybe more accessible restrooms, other than that, it is likely frustration of the challenge it creates in distance which only would inspire me to play it again to slay the beast.

Worth the outing for the dedicated disc golfer.

Not What I Expected

1    11/7/2009   11/10/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Long
Challenging
Well Kept
Hole Number 14 was great
Cons: Repetitious
Too Open
It's challenging but only because the make each each hole really long. Maybe if they tried mixing up shot types more instead of just long and open.
If your not in shape this one will wear you out
Other Thoughts: I heard a lot about this course and saw it was rated really high on this site so I was excited about checking this one out. But I gotta say, it didn't live up to what I was expecting

It was challenging but almost every hole was an long open field shot. There was nothing wrong with the course I just thought it was kinda boring. Be ready for a hike. The course isn't that long but you'll spend a lot of time lugging yourself up and down hills.

Hole Number 14 saved the course. I gave it an extra half a star just for this hole. No matter what your skill level is you should play this hole from the expert Tee Pad. I love big holes that are overlooking the fairway from on top of a giant ledge or hill, you don't see it enough, but out of the ones I have, this is one of my favorites.

I'm willing to allow for the possibility that I'm rating this course kinda low out of frustration. I didn't sleep much the night before, so I was kinda grumpy. Also, I definitely didn't bring my "A" game that day. It was one of those days that I just wasn't feeling it. But the guy I was with didn't care much for it either so maybe it's not all just me.

I would recommend it if you live nearby but I wouldn't make it a priority if your looking for a road trip

Challenging!

1    10/1/2009   10/29/2009
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 8/24/2010
Pros: Gorgeous park

Nice elevation changes

Well maintained

Nice pads and baskets
Cons: Lacks diversity

Not enough obstacles/hazards
Other Thoughts: Wow. This course is what I was hoping for. I read that it was a long course. I like to grip and rip. I could certainly do that here.

There were very few deuce opportunities and really no ace runs come to mind. To have long 400-800 foot holes is nice, but in my opinion, there should be at least a couple short holes mixed in. Also, it was almost entirely open.

The elevation changes are sweet. I actually over shot a 450 foot hole. Yes, it was down hill, but it sure felt great watching it sail. On other holes, you look at 600 feet and think, oh, I should get there in three, but the subtle uphill change makes throwing 300 feel more like 400...and you take a 4.

Challenging and beautiful with heavy rolling fairways and diverse pin placements, this course is sharp. If you are a novice, expect some high scores and some motivation to get better. As an experienced player, you wont want to wait too long before another chance to tame this bad boy.