Pros: This course provides a nice mixture of wooded and open holes. The wooded holes are very tight and sometimes lengthy requiring you to really plan out your throws ahead of time. The woods are pretty forgiving if you have a stray throw. Provides some unique shots. 1 pretty scary water hazard for a beginner. Baskets are easy to spot as well.
The open holes are really far which allows you to really test how far you can throw.
Cons: Tee's are dirt, which I am not a fan of.
I like seeing trashcans spread throughout the course, the only ones I saw where near the playground and pavilion area.
This can be a long course for those just starting out.
Other Thoughts: They are currently redesigning this course. I went in early June and they were just getting started so beware of this. Holes 2-4 were missing and that's as far as we went.
When this course is complete it should be even better than before. Definitely worth making a trip to play this course.
I will reevaluate this course as soon as the redesign is complete.
3 Helpful / 2 Not
I agree with heelboy
Pros: It has potential. Easy to follow paths and flow, and nice tees.
Cons: Did not feel the tees matched the distances. Fairways still needed on some holes. Killer par 4 and par 5 woods holes.
Other Thoughts: I'm a big fan of technical woods courses but i'm a bigger fan of all par 3. I know it might get old to some but I don't like throwing my arm out before i finish the round, I think i threw 7 times on one hole because i just couldn't seem not to hit a tree every 50 feet. My other grip is the color scheme. I have designed a course and i took some time and pride in trying to follow the red, white, blue, yellow and having it match the expected distances for that color. I felt this should have been colored white, blue, yellow. so when i thought i was playing white and felt like i was playing blue i wasn't that happy.
3 of 5 people found this review helpful.
10 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Course has so much potential to be outstanding, but it falls so far short.
- Good use of the terrain, provides many holes with good elevation and obstacles.
- 2 longer tees are challenging. If you can't throw straight, you're in trouble. And as I mention in the cons, even if you do through straight, you may still be in trouble.
- Good variety of holes. This course definitely requires you to use all the discs in your bag.
- Low chance of losing discs. Water only in play on 1 hole. It seems the biggest risk is hitting a tree and having it bounce deep into the woods. On some holes, the woods are really thick and unforgiving.
- Beautiful scenery. It's a great looking park in a great part of the state, the tractor-pull track not included.
- I liked the red marks on the baskets being used as arrows to the next hole.
Cons: There's a lot of small things that need work. You can accept when there's only one major problem, but when it starts adding up, it gets real frustrating.
- As mentioned already, some holes were missing true fairways. It felt like going into the woods and throwing a disc, and luck would play the biggest factor in whether you hit a tree 50 feet away or 200 feet away. I played with a group of guys, and on several holes we hit trees on almost every single shot.
- One or two holes may need to be redesigned or have a bunch of trees cut down. There's a big difference between tough, but fair and over the top.
- The cut-down trees and branches were never fully cleared away. Piles of logs and debris were on just about every hole. For the holes that did have fairways, some of the piles were about 2 feet off the fairway. Again, not fun having to climb and dig through a pile of branches when a shot barely misses the fairway.
- Perhaps my biggest gripe was that the stumps were not cleared away. Every wooded hole had stumps in the fairway. It gets old really quick when you're tripping and stumbling over stumps almost constantly. All were maybe a quarter inch to 2 inches, so they're not always easy to spot. Our shins and ankles all took a beating from tripping over and hitting the stumps. Frustration might be an understatement by the time we finished.
- I couldn't always find the correct tee pads. They need to be better labeled.
Other Thoughts: Despite the issues with the course, it has some serious potential.
- I think I am being overly hard on this course because it has the makeup of a 4 - 4.5 level course, but due to the problems, it gets serious markdowns. If it improves, this course reminds me of Richmond Hills in Asheville, NC with a little bit of Renny in Charlotte thrown in. Its potential is that good.
- The course is from '08, so I hope these problems are just because it's new. It will be a shame, and serious waste of potential, if the problems don't get fixed.
10 of 11 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.