Benton, KY
Mike Miller County Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: nickharrington Hole #17 (Taken 6/2013)
Hole #17 Approach

Super Underrated Course

1    4/4/2014   4/4/2014
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: Let me start off by saying that this is one of the most fun courses that I have played. It plays like a baby version of the ARMCO courses in Eastern Kentucky. The name of the game is elevation. Uphills, downhills, sidehills. This might not be the course that would ever be good enough for an A tier.... but who cares? It is just a blast to play. Lots of holes require you to throw a control shot. Other holes you just blast something flippy up a hill. Lots of potential for rollaways here.

As for the course details.... this ace drains better than the other courses in the area for sure. After a rain, I could see this course having little trouble being a swampfest. Water fountains... check... bathrooms... check... benches, signs, nice pads.... check, check, check.
Cons: The only con that I see is just from playing it the first time... it is very easy to see a basket and assume that it is the target from the pad. You throw to it, get there, just to behold that it is the wrong basket. I had two ace runs at the wrong baskets today.
Other Thoughts: I have no idea how this course is rated a 3.2. Seems like it should be closer to the 3.5 to 3.75 range. That being said.... the lack of difficulty kind of offsets the fun level, so I am giving it the 3.5 instead of the 4. If there was a 3.75 button, this course would get it. Great job on the design H.B.

One of the best city park style courses you will ever play

1    6/22/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: gmoney1984
Pros: 1. the park is absolutly incredible. one of the nicest you will see. So beautiful and well maintained.

2. chance for long drives on some holes but still has obstacles

6. chance for a pit stop or two to throw a few bags or horseshoes

7. benches

8. free water

9. virtually no chance to lose disc in the weeds

Cons: 1. all par 3's

2. somewhat short

3. chance to lose discs in lake

4. in the Country (potential long drive)
Other Thoughts: Best City park style course I have ever been too.The Course is good and well made but its the park that makes it. Worth the drive just because there are so many other things you can do in the park as well. If your coming from the north on your drive in from paducah depending on which exit you take there's some crazy fun place a few miles out on the right.I dont know know how to describe it. Looks kinda creepy. lol

Hills, Hills and more Hills

5+    5/5/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: 1. The park itself is absolutely beautiful. It is a lightly to moderately wooded with a pond as it's centerpiece.

2. There are some extreme elevation changes on this course. In my opinion it is the elevation changes that define this course.

3. I love the fact that this course will allow for different options to play the holes.

4. There were some putting challenges for me on this course because of the side hill lies and side hill basket placements of several of the holes.

5. There was water on the course and several benches to sit on when we had to wait.

6. The signs and teepad were in great shape. The course also was very easy to follow.

7. There are some very good ace-run holes on this course. We didn't get any, but we were able to hit the baskets,chain, and the belt several times during our rounds.

8. The course does offer lots of birdies chances.

9. I love the risk/reward of hole 16. You can play it safe and probably make par or bogey or you can take your shot and birdie is possible. Hole 16 is the toughest on the course in my mind.
Cons: 1. No chance to just let it fly

2. It had rained for a couple of days, so we had some drainage issues on a few holes.

Other Thoughts: This is a very nice little short course. It offers the beginner and intermediate player a chance to shoot a decent number while providing plenty of trouble. I live about an hour from this course and I have driven 5 times to play it, and it will continue in my Purchase Area rotation.

All about elevation

2-4    12/24/2012   12/24/2012
Review By: DG addict24
This review was updated on 6/26/2013
Pros: Crazy elevation changes. Uphill 240 footers that play 300, and down hill 230 footers that play like 190. Touch is a big asset and much needed. Throw too far and you could be looking at a 40 ft comebacker uphill. Or in one case a 190 ft spike hyzer uphill. A lot of low ceiling shots, so even though it's short I was throwing driver on most holes. This course isn't thickly wooded, but there are plenty of trees to affect the line you need to play. A couple of nice holes over water, especially 15 which begs for you to go for the pin if you don't have a noodle arm like me. But none of the people in my group went for it in fear of losing a disc. You need all the shots on this course too, forehands backhands, hyzers, overheads, I used them all. Good teepads, just a little shot. Good signage and good layout and flow. A really nice course.
Cons: Never really get to unleash it. The only hole long enough to put some power on it is 15 and you have to be gutsy or a good swimmer to do it then. Other than that really no issues.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course which exceeded my expectations. I expected an average course and it turned out to be one of the better small courses I've played. Worth the hour drive from my house, and I plan on coming back again.

Nice Little Course

1    11/24/2012   11/24/2012
Review By: HeavyCritters
Pros: *Good layout - The map made it look more confusing to navigate than it was.

*Good mix of open and wooded holes - Some even really short (188') shots were a tough par three due to placement of the pin.

*Ace-able holes - Although I put the shortness of the holes as a negative below, some of them were really fun to throw to for the possibility of an ace.

*Nice baskets - Baskets were in great shape. Starting to like the Discraft baskets the more I play them.

*Good Signage - Signage was at every tee pad and was very accurate. I wish they would have put "Next Tee" signs like they have at Central Park in Murray, KY.

Elevation - LOVED how they used the up and down terrain on this course. Great workout.

*Water holes - The two water holes were fun, but not so challenging as to make me put away my best driver.
Cons: *Very short course - Being new to any 18 hole course, I tend to block out about an hour and half to play it alone, 2 hours or more with a group. I finished this course in 45 minutes, flat.

*Lack of garbage cans - Although the course wasn't littered, I could see the possibility of that happening with lack of garbage cans.

*That's it. I really enjoyed this course.
Other Thoughts: My parents retired to this area of the world, and I will definitely be back to play Mike Miller County Park next time I come visit.

I would recommend this course and the Central Park course in Murray, and would steer clear of Kess Creek Park in Mayfield.

Pitch and putt and roll away

1    9/3/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: weeman
Pros: Set in a very nice large park, this course sits among the many slopes that the land provide. Each hole is straightforward in that if you have a good drive, more than likely you will be looking at an immediate putt. Every basket is located on some sort of slope so roll-aways and death putts are not uncommon. Each hole contains mature trees with multiple routes to the basket if you're thinking outside the box. This course is short enough that a mid-range or two along with a putter is all that you need save for two holes (the ~320' uphill and 392' across the water). Most baskets are visible from the tee and if not, the tee signs will guide your way. Navigation was easy for the most part with a semi-loop back towards the parking lot after nine. The tee pads are in good shape except for one or two that are cracked.
Cons: This is not a course to work on your distance. 15 of the holes are less than 300 feet in length and with the severe drop offs, going long is not out of the question. Both of the 'long' holes felt out of place on this course, as if they were only put there to get from point A to point B in the park. Several of the fairways running along side each other could be dangerous for errants shots. There are not many shots where you cut across the grade, only up and down the hills. This is rather monotonous and if you're carrying a bag, a real pain. Several times I just left my bag at the top of a hill and only took the discs I'd need for the next hole or two until I returned it. As nice a park as the course is in, there were zero trash cans near the tees.
Other Thoughts: While the aesthetic appeal of the course was very high, the overall challenge provided by the course was not. Here, reading the elevation changes and slopes are key but beyond that there was not much difficulty to the course. I'm glad I played here once but wouldn't go out of my way to come back to play it.

Golf and a good workout

1    4/9/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: astrowolf67
Pros: Course is in an extremely well maintained park. Trees are in play on most holes, but it's not like throwing through a forest. Well defined fairways with good signs and flow. Course is laid out so there's no interference with other park activities, except the occasional fisherman at the lake. While playing a round, you'll definately get a work out. Lots of elevation shots that really make you think what you are trying to do.
Cons: If your legs aren't in good shape, you will have trouble, as my wife and son did. I had to throw off a bit on the two water holes, in order to avoid some people fishing.
Other Thoughts: The park should mark the bank areas of the lake affected by the course, off limits for fishing, for safety reasons. Judging by the traffic we saw during our round, the park is frequented more by disc golfers than people fishing.

Nice New Course

1    3/6/2010   3/18/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Mike Miller County park seems to be a very new course. All equipment is in excellent condition. Tee signs are in good condition. The fairway are well maintained. The mature tree provide obstacles but clearly define the preferred flight path. I enjoyed the hike. It is hilly, but I didn't find it to be overly burdensome. The course flowed very logically to me. Holes 1-9 are one side of the park road. Cross the park road for holes 10-18. There are 2 holes where water comes into play, which is a positive for me. Not because I am really good, but simply because I like the intimidation factor. It really makes you consider your shots carefully. The first water hole is either 13 or 14....I cannot remember which. Whichever it is, this is one of my favorite disc golf holes. It begins with a throw over the corner of a large pond. Depending on your legth and your gumption, you can aim for a few different spots on the adjacent bank. The shorter you are however, the farther the second shot. I believe this was the longest hole on the course; if not it is one of the longest hols at the park. I found this hole in particular to be challenging and fun.
Cons: Directionals from the basket indicating where the next tee is would be a vast improvement. While I was able to follow someone else who was playing, if I had been alone, it would have been difficult to navigate the course without a map. While it has some tough holes, 80% of the holes are very straightforward. You do not need an array of shots needed to shoot well here. I scored a +2, which I considered pretty good since I only had 2 discs...which I bought at a store the night before because I left mine in Tennessee.
Other Thoughts: In all, Mike Miller County Park is a good course. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I would not mind venturing 15 minutes off the interstate to play it again. There is really no need for the course to "mature" as the trees that make up the course are already cleared underneath. If you worry about lost discs, only the water holes should be a problem. Unless you have an obscene hyzer on hole 4, you should be able to locate your disc rather easily. Elevation was used very well in the design. Mike Miller is a solid course. Combine it with Paducah DGC (just up the interstate) and they make a good two-some. They compliment each other very well. Mike Miller County Park is a relaxing, quick round, and a course that I believe everyone could enjoy. Bombers can get some mid-range work in. The rest of us can concentrate on working our fairway drivers. Pin positions are often on hillsides adding to the challenge as well. Nice place, quiet on a Saturday morning, and I'll definitely stop by again.

a HIKE in the park

1    12/14/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: JNash16
Pros: The park was very clean and well-maintained. THe bathrooms were great right beside the parking area. THe 2 shot across the lake were nice
Cons: The layout of the course was subpar. The course would have you thrown down a hill only to have you throw up the hill for the next hole. The layout was extremely confusing being as there were no markers, and the duck poop everywhere was a tad bit bothersome
Other Thoughts: It's an alright course, but I wouldn't drive out of my way to play it

Up and down

2-4    12/12/2009   12/12/2009
Review By: lschrock
This review was updated on 12/22/2009
Pros: New discatcher baskets and really clean park make this a nice setting. There's tons of elevation change, and most holes offer a pretty good hike. It's a nice change from playing so many flat courses. Some holes you're throwing up a 40 degree angle, and a couple you throw down a hill to a hole on a slope. Really requires some finesse to play this one, most holes are in the 200 to 300 foot range, and surrounded by trees. The course is really wooded, but there are well defined lines to throw. There are two water holes, one you need a strong 350 foot flat hyzer line, and if you try to play it short, it might be a difficult par. The other water hole isn't too bad, you only have to throw about 150 feet over the corner of the pond. Signs are nice as well, every hole is marked.
Cons: During the Christmas season, they close 5 holes due to some Lights and decorations. I understand that they close them right after halloween. There also are barely any holes you can throw a driver. I played all but the one water hole with a roc and a putter. I guess it's not a big con to play with a roc, though... There aren't any benches on the course, and most holes don't offer much variety, most shots are straight ahead, and for an rhbh thrower, there are a couple of hyzer shots. There are no directions to the next hole on the signs, so you have to navigate your way around the course. Most of the holes are pretty easy to find, but I got turned around a few times. Layout of the holes leaves something to be desired as well. Some holes will have you putting, and walking up a hill to tee off again.
Other Thoughts: Great course with a good hike to it. A short course to play with a versatile midrange. Gorgeous old trees surrounding a pond. Didn't seem very busy, there is a pro shop in the park, but some of the locals said there was barely a selection to chose from.