Fun Course, nice park
Pros: - First 9 holes, and the last few are wide open and fun to throw hard if you want
- Good variety in the middle part of the course with some water hazards and tricky holes
- the park that this course is in has an awesome climber toy for the kids, a small swimming area and lots of other things (tennis, b-ball, hockey etc)
- When we were there, the park was empty on a weekday and we never had to wait for anyone(golfer or otherwise)
- The course is pretty easy to navigate, though take a picture of the course so you can save some time
- Awesome water holes, and a 1000 footer to boot!
Cons: - Holy water hazard Batman!! The 4 or 5 holes in the middle of the course play over some wicked water. Rivers, lakes, ponds and more!
- I could see that on the weekends some of the holes play over areas with people in them for the park...so this could be an issue when it's busy
- No signs...if not for this, I would give 4 stars
- Some of the open holes get a little tedious just because they are plentiful...but they are mostly fun in their own way so not a big negative.
Other Thoughts: They did a great job of cramming 18 holes into this course. And one of the holes is almost 1000 feet! Over a lake!!! :-)
The water holes are tough but soooo worth playing. Most of the water is not too deep. If you're willing to get your feet and legs a bit wet you can save your disc and even find an extra if you're lucky!
I highly recommend checking this course out if you are in the area. Great time, no real chance of losing a disc unless you're careless in the water.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: A lot of water holes which provides a good challenge. A good mix of long and short holes.
Cons: Only a couple holes with elevation change.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed hole 10. You can either lay up and shoot for par or try to go the distance and birdie. If you try for birdie, you have to launch it over two sections of the Kalamazoo River. Well, I tried that and it landed a couple feet shy of land. Fortunately I was able to get my disc out of the river.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Nice distance course.
Good use of natural obstacles.
Placement of first disc is very important - most of the holes cannot be achieved from the tee. You need to make critical decisions as to what disc to throw and where to place it, in order to solidify a second shot for par.
Gorgeous water hazards throughout the back nine.
Cons: You will need a map.
The front nine is somewhat monotonous. Random trees.
If you value every single disc in your bag, be prepared to take your shoes off and wade for a moment.
Other Thoughts: I traveled to Michigan and played 7 courses in a three day span. Of all of them, Victory Park had the most beautiful signature hole. It is a 327 ft. drive directly over a river. If you can't make the drive, you lose your disc. Obviously, some folks don't like this...but I found it exhilarating. I love to feel anxious before a throw - like this throw really matters. To me, that is disc golf! The several "water holes" at this course made the entire course worth playing. Without them, it would just be another typical public park course.
Also, print a course map. Seriously. As long as you have it, the difficulties with the layout will diminish. I had no problem finding the next pad and basket with the map. I found it through the PDGA website links.
2 of 3 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Good variety of shots, some elevation change, water hazzards on #9,10,11,12,13,14.. Flush toilets. Nice playground for the little ones. Pavillion and grills for lunch.
Cons: Soccer field can come into play on holes #9 and 14. Field is ALWAYS soggy as can be.
Other Thoughts: If you throw into middle of pond on #12, kiss it goodbye...muck city! Sometimes dude in a kayak will retrieve disc for you. #14 definate ace possibility. Cascarelli's in downtown Albion has great pizza and Bell's on tap.
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.