Bretton Woods, NH
Bretton Woods High Alpine DGC Share

Tiny Course / Huge Mountain

1    10/11/2012   10/31/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- The Drive There. We had heard from numerous people along the trip (Dave at Maple Hill and Peter at Sabattus) that driving over Mount Washington (Hwy 302) through New Hampshire was the most beautiful route to take. The scenery was beautiful, sort of a combination between a miniature Rocky Mountains with granite cliffs and outcroppings and the Appalachians, with fall foliage. Unfortunately, we had missed the peak leaf season by about a week (we were there on October 10), but the drive was still magnificent.
- Only Course in NH along My Route. More or less, my girlfriend and I were taking the scenic drive and Bretton Woods was along the way. I would have loved to play a better course, but it was the only course in NH along my route. For that, I will say it was worth the stop.
- Tiny Course / Huge Mountain = Room for Improvement. The Mount Washington Resort appeared to be the premier ski destination. The tiny course was on an absolutely huge mountain with multiple ski runs that offered tremendous potential for the expansion of the summertime disc golf course. Fortunately, the baskets were temporary; as were the tee-pad signs (being ski fence stakes with numbers on them). Therefore, all it would take is someone with some golf knowledge to move the baskets and stakes to more appropriate locations on the mountain, and VIOLA… Bretton Woods would become a 4+ disc, destination course that people would travel a long ways to play.
Cons:
- TINY Course / HUGE Mountain. You can't help but get slightly upset as you play the myriad of sub-200' pitch-n-putt holes while looking at the mountain and ski runs looming above and thinking that the course was a waste. The entire course sits at the base of the mountain where the ski lifts converge. If they were to use more of the mountain, not only would the shots be enhanced greatly, but the hiking around the mountain would provide visitors with a more beautiful, serene, nature experience, as opposed to looking at the lodge and ski lifts the entire time.
- It Costs Money to Play. Let me start this section off by saying that I am actually in favor of Pay-to-Play disc golf courses in general, as they're usually better. I gladly paid my money at Maple Hill, Pyramids, Sabattus, Base Camp, etc. I'd pay $10 to play the course if I could throw some bombs up and down the ski runs and through the woods… However, $6 is steep for a wide-open, pitch-n-putt course.
- Overall. Bretton Woods is a wide-open, pitch-n-putt disc golf course. I threw a putter or Roc on 17 of the holes and a leopard on one. Certainly not the types of shots you want to be throwing when on a ski-slope course. I feel as though $6 is a rip-off for what the course was… but, that's the price I had to pay to bag the only course in NH along my route… after all, when's the next time I'm going to be in NH, or on Mount Washington. I hope the employees at Bretton Woods do something to improve the course's design and utilize more of the mountain… all it would take is moving the baskets and tee-sign stakes to new locations.
- My Score: -12

Pretty good!

1    7/22/2012   8/25/2012
Review By: Ctrenta
Pros: All the holes are easy to find and well marked.

A course map is also available when you pay inside the lodge.
Cons: They're all pretty short.

You have to pay.

Other Thoughts: A good course to take the kids. We had a blast. All 18 holes are clustered in a particular area and you do a lot of zig-zagging from one hole to the next. But the fact that they're short, we finished all 18 holes in a reasonable amount of time.

disappointment

1    7/27/2011   9/5/2011
Review By: Dan H.
Pros: Nice view

Newish baskets

friendly staff
Cons: I believe the layout of this course has changed over the years so the reviews seem a little mixed. I played the most recent setup as of the date of this review and was disappointed for several reasons.

- the course is ridiculously short. even for a 9 hole

- the pars are way off. from even an intermediate disc golfer's perspective, all of these holes should be a par 3 or more realistically a par 2.

- no tee pads

-not much variety of shots

-the course seems obviously designed by someone who does NOT play disc golf

-to charge people money to play this course is practically offensive to the disc golf community who are used to playing for free except on the occasional well maintained 18 hole course.
Other Thoughts: I've always said there's no such thing as a bad disc golf course. Some kind of disc golf is better than no disc golf at all. but charging people to play here is sad. Give the people, even the wealthy New England tourist - first timer, something worth their money as an introduction to the sport.

Shoulda went somewhere else...

1    7/31/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: erbguy
Pros: The course is located on the side of the ski slopes with a beautiful view. On holes 4, 5, 6, and 8 you also have the fun task of timing your throws to miss kids flying past you on zip lines.... that's about it.
Cons: I'm all about a good view, but it's not exactly critical when I get the craving to hit some baskets. The course (at least the current layout) was sub-par, unchallenging, and I was tempted to leave halfway through when I came to a open 217' drive that was a par 4.
Other Thoughts: Finishing 10 under par on a course like this isn't satisfying, it's as rewarding as faking a disability and taking first place in the special olympics. It just feels wrong. On the bright side it could suck some newcomers into the sport, and I'm all for the extra company... but for the regular throwers passing thru, just keep driving until they set up a proper course.

very basic downhill

1    8/30/2008   9/3/2008
Review By: Rbuzz9
Pros: The course is set on a fairly wide (probably intermediate) ski trail. Gives for long mostly unobstructed drives down the mountain. Course goes left / right - lots of different types of drives Great views. Not very crowded - Very challenging also - getting a disc up high on a drive is risky - the woods are very dense. No tiny holes
Cons: the tees are grass- marked by a single stick - which is fine considering it's a ski resort in winter, however stick happens to be VERY CLOSE (within a 10 yards) to the previous hole's pin. The par listed on the tee pad stick was confusing. A 200' hole was listed as a par 6 - made no sense.
Other Thoughts: Was a good time playing - tho i think it's a gimicky type of course - chairlift to the top - only 9 holes - but intended for beginners / tourists who had never heard of the game. Cheaper if you have your own discs - was charged 10bux Would like to see a full 18 holes - there is a small course down next to the baselodge - but is veryshort and a putter would be all you would need.