Fontana, WI
Duck Pond Rec. Area Share
Uploaded By: chickadisca34   (Taken 4/2014)
Park Sign

Not good

1    6/28/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: There are nine Discatchers here. There's some solid variation in Distances with hole 9 being the longest. Restrooms located at the parking lot. Hole 3's basket set on a hillside for a rollaway opportunity. There were some wood chips on the ground in the first wooded section, not the second however.
Cons: There are no tee pads or tee signs. This is one of the most annoying things on a course pretty much already plummeting the rating for me. The wooded holes are completely overgrown making walking much less finding errant shots very difficult. If you don't have a map or play with someone who's played before, and good luck finding someone who plays here, it'll be nearly impossible to figure out. They don't even have the hole number on the baskets making it nearly impossible. A lot of bugs in the woods too.
Other Thoughts: Not really any redeeming qualities here. I will not be back and can't recommend anyone to try this place. This is one of the poorest courses of the 125+ I've played in WI.

Work in progress

2-4    4/16/2014   4/16/2014
Review By: chickadisca34
Pros: - Nice variety for only 9 holes
- New chain baskets
- Maps available at the village hall (close by, you'll need one)
Cons: - Course needs work (wooded fairways overgrown)
- No tee pads or signs
Other Thoughts: I recently moved back to the area to find that this course was built and essentially abandoned a few years ago. In the last couple of weeks, a friend and I have contacted our village board regarding the condition of the course and they have granted us permission to do some work on it, which will begin this month (April 2014)! We are hoping also to install tee pads and signs this year, whether through the parks and rec department or individual fundraising.

This will be a great little course near a gorgeous lake. Definitely worth stopping by. I'll be posting photos as the condition of the course progresses.

Really?!?

1    11/6/2012   11/6/2012
Review By: Mercury
Pros: It is a 9 hole disc golf coarse.
Newer baskets in great condition.
Cons: No tees
No tee signs
No markings to go from one hole to another.
Other Thoughts: If you want to throw your disc around and search for baskets then have fun!

Pretty bad

1    3/13/2011   3/28/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a small park. A few holes are grassy with scattered trees, the rest are in the woods. The open holes have some length, including a really long bomb to finish the course. The wooded holes offer some different shot shapes and some tight lines to hit. The course map makes all but two of the holes pretty easy to figure out, I recommend printing it or pulling it up on your phone. The baskets are pretty much brand new and catch well.
Cons: A few of the wooded holes are quite overgrown, and don't offer much of a fairway at all. They need significant clearing and cleaning to really be viable disc golf holes, at the moment they are just pinball through the woods in the general direction until you get to the basket. The last hole is quite long, and plays along an access road the entire way with the parking lot in play around the green, a little bit of a possible safety issue.

There are no tees, we tried to throw from where the map showed the holes starting but it wasn't always easy to figure that out. In a couple spots the map is a little off and makes the course a little hard to follow. The park has a neglected feel, it's a little surprising that the money was spent for brand new baskets without cleaning up the fairways and marking tees to make it playable.
Other Thoughts: The course is not very beginner friendly, with lots of length on some of the open holes, and tight woods that will frustrate newer throwers. More experienced players will find some challenges here, if the wooded holes were fixed up it could be a great course to challenge intermediate level players. With a little work put in and some marked tees, this could be a decent 9er, right now it's not really worth going out of your way to play.

not even worth crossing off the list

1    6/25/2009   12/26/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: I do believe we found six, possibly seven, baskets.
Played a new type of basket and they catch pretty well (Quest AT Traper Targets).
On a pretty piece of land; could be an opportunity here for a decent course.
Cons: No tees or enough playing the course to leave tee markings of any kind.
If the one basket that's in the open; near the lot disappears; and it was leaning...you won't even be able to find this course.
We did discover three baskets in the woods; with some sincere search....and I did throw a shot to each of them. But, there was absolutely no fairway cut to get to these holes.
Almost every basket has something wrong with it; i.e. missing chains or links, or the basket is leaning; or the bucket part is cracked.
At least a couple of baskets missing.
Other Thoughts: The owner of the Abbey Resort, seems responsible for this one also. At some point, he was excited about disc golf. However, this course appears to have been abandoned. Seems to be no maintenance or play going on here.

not even a course anymore

1    8/1/2009   8/1/2009
Review By: discin311
Pros: not one thing besides the land could be good
Cons: 1 and a half baskets left looks like they just gave up on this course dont waste your time to drive there
Other Thoughts: wish the park dis would put money into it as there r no good course in or around lake Gevena

D = Dis Course Needs Help (baskets maybe?)

1    6/23/2009   6/24/2009
Pros: When I played this course, there were no baskets in the ground and no tee pads marked. Therefore I gave this course the lowest grade possible.

Hopefully real baskets and tee pads will be installed since the property and layout have potential for sure! The online map here helped me find where the fairways used to be. This overview is my summary. I will change my grade/score to a C+ (1.5 discs) if/when I find out real (metal) baskets and tee pads are installed.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

HMMM

2-4    9/25/2011   4/5/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) A model for an inexpensive setup. Homemade PVC baskets with plastic chainlink material.UPDATE: INNOVA DISCATCHERS NOW IN PLACE.

2) There is a little variety with 2 completely open holes, 3 running entirely through the woods, 1 straight hole along woods and 90 degree dogleg into the woods from the drive, 1 tucked basket against a clump of woods, and 2 more holes running along the woods the whole way.

3) Some holes have obstacles forcing different shots. Some go right, some go left, and a couple dead straight.

4) #4 is the best hole, it is tight through the woods. #6 is a little tougher tight wooded hole. It is almost too tough, if it weren't for the rest of the course being somewhat blah.

Cons: 1) #2 basket is missing completely. #5 basket is busted by a fallen tree, but still there.UPDATE: ALL BASKETS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH INNOVA DISCATCHERS.

2) No visible tee areas, there are no posts, signs or even dirt areas from use, because not many people play here.

3) Homemade baskets, just can;t stand up to what little abuse they take, although I do have to say the ones that are in good shape do catch the disc very well. Very surprising because they are made with PVC and some plastic chainlink system. Check out my picture of the basket!

4) It looks like this gets no use and therefore no maintenance. The 6th hole looks like it is gettin increasingly tight as stuff grows up around the fairway. UPDATE: COURSE STILL HAS NOT RECEIVED ANY MAINTENANCE ON THE WOODED HOLES . . . THEY ARE COMPLETELY GROWN OVER WITH WEEDS, NETTLES, POISON IVY, AND RASPBERRIES . . .THE WOODED HOLES ALSO NEED SOME THINNING ALONG THE FAIRWAYS TO OPEN THEM UP SLIGHTLY TO BE REALISTIC HOLES.

5) Fairly boring holes. They did what they could, but it is not enough to get me to go back there. UPDATE: APPARENTLY I LIED AS I RETURNED AFTER 2 YEARS . . . BUT MOSTLY BECAUSE I WAS HOPING MORE HAD BEEN DONE TO MAINTAIN THOSE WOODED HOLES AND ALSO BECAUSE I HEARD THERE WAS A BACK 9 . . . ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO IMPROVE THE WOODED HOLES AND TO FIND NO ADDITIONAL 9 BASKETS ON THE PROPERTY EITHER.

6) Not what I would call a beginner course even and I like to see courses make them playable for everyone. I feel like if a beginner came here they would be disappointed and tested too much even.
Other Thoughts: Not worth a special trip, but if you are out for a bunch of courses, give it a try . . . maybe??? It isn't really even a beginners course because of the tight wooded holes #4 and #6 (serious PLINKO), the length of #9 IS 620' so that isn't easy either.

UPDATE: STILL BAD . . . LIKELY WON'T RETURN AGAIN UNLESS I GET AN INVITE FROM HE DESIGNER (TO PLAY HIS "BACK 9") AND AM GUARANTEED AND BETTER MAINTENANCE.