Rocky Mount, NC
Sunset Park Share
Uploaded By: wb247 Hole #8 (Taken 3/2010)
3 / 305ft.   3 / 305ft.   3 / 350ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

1    2/27/2010   2/27/2010
Review By: jkdisc
This review was updated on 10/31/2010
Pros: -Great use of land and obstacles
-Friendly locals that were picking up trash and removing fallen limbs
-Different tee options
-The old tee signs were torn off but new ones were stapled on
-Concrete tee pads arent allowed but the gravel pads are excellently maintained
-The last hole brings you right back to your car
-Not crowded at all
Cons: -can get lost and confused, a map or arrows would be helpful
- i was not a fan of the hole where you throw onto a grass island in the middle of the street, not so much for cars (the speed limit is 25 mph) and there isnt much traffic... i was worried I'd miss the grass and scuff up my disc
Other Thoughts: Overall, the course was decent. You need to cross streets a few times but there isn't much traffic and the speed limit is low (25mph). It seems like the locals work very hard to keep it nice. If the man I saw picking up trash wasn't doing it then I imagine it could build up. It seems like the tee signs where torn off by vandals and a local stapled up the tee info. I have great respect for those who work so hard against the few who ruin. Keep up the good work, you know who you are!

A nice walk in the park

1    3/5/2009   8/27/2009
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 8/31/2010
Pros:
NOTE: The course has been redesigned since I played there. Two holes were added before hole 1, so 2 others were removed. My review reflects the layout in March 2009.

*What stood out to me most was the nice manicured grass with scattered trees and bushes. This one of my favorite types of terrain because the trees provides challenge but it's not too punitive if you go off the flight path. My wife would enjoy a walk here.
*The fairways are well defined.
*The course is very First Timer Friendly (FTF) because it's easy to navigate. There are wooden "Next Tee" arrows under the baskets and the next tee is marked on the tee signs. You don't need a map.
Cons:
-The grass and dirt tees were a little below average. Since they aren't framed and the front is not marked players can tee off from either side of most tee signs.
-The course is flat. The biggest elevation change is a drop of 3 ft.
Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

You be the judge-
My favorite holes: 7 & 14. They have very pretty trees and green grass with challenging lengths.

Although I like this type of terrain a lot, there's not a lot of variety with 17 holes being mixed grass and scattered trees, with 1 open hole. The fairway shapes are also somewhat lacking in variety with a majority of straight shots (12 St/ 3 Lt/ 3 Rt). The hole lengths on the layout I played had 9 holes of 200-299 ft. with 3 of 170-185 and 6 of 310-360 ft, so the course plays rather short for longer throwers. There's almost no water in play except for a creek behind 2 holes. The tee signs and baskets were slightly above average. There were very few amenities-- no maps, practice basket, or message board. For me, as a White level player, there were an abundance of 3s to be had; in fact, it felt bad to take a 4. The course is just a slight bit too open for my taste, but it's still a good solid course, with great terrain, that's fun to play. The course is not quite compelling enough for me to drive the 65 miles from my home, but if I'm ever in the area I'll be glad to play here again.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~More detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.

1    7/10/2009   7/10/2009
Review By: TAKRep
This review was updated on 10/11/2009
Pros: Very fun course with many birdie opportunities. Most holes are open, so there is little risk of having to go find a disc in the woods.
Cons: Most of the holes are pretty short. I felt like almost all of the holes were the same. You're basically throwing from one end of an abandoned lot to another on every hole. Hole 6 was very hard to find when I played (though I think that it is a different hole now because the course is currently under renovations). Also, when I played in the middle of the re-doing of the course, I could not find the 14th basket.
Other Thoughts: Although this is my least favorite course out of the four in Rocky Mount, it is worth at least one play through if you are in the area. I play it mostly just for variation. If you're looking for a fun course in Rocky Mount, head to the Sports Complex or to Englewood Park.