Fort Worth, TX
Arcadia Park #2 Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #3
3 / 305ft.   3 / 272ft.   3 / 297ft.   3 / 317ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Tee: Thick tree line along the left and the wind will assist you into them if you stay to close to it. The basket is along the left curving tree line.

Arcadia Park

5+    7/22/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: ikirumata
This review was updated on 8/7/2009
Pros: Quiet Park. Good mix of long open throws and shorter, but challenging throws. Concrete tee off pads. Fairways are typically away from other park users. Good parking. Even though the park has other users, you don't feel like they get in the way. When they mow, the fairways are very defined and easy to navigate.
Cons: The tee off pads are a bit too short. The rough is very...well...rough and you can spend a lot of time looking for your discs. Be careful of snakes. Some next tees are hard to find, but after playing once or twice, its no problem.
Other Thoughts: Updating my review after playing more than a couple of times.

Here is a list of the hole notes. I am not a great player, but I feel like I am on my way to figuring out this course. I usually walk away from this course shooting in the high 60s.

In my bag, I have the following:

175g Champion Beast - for long distance drives. Predictable and holds up to wind. Good for getting it down the fairway, but if I put it too high, it has some pretty big fade.
169g Valkyrie - long range straight drives. Versitile, but prone to being touchy. If I throw it too hard, it turns over and goes a long distance in the wrong direction.
144g Shark - Super accurate midrange. If I want, I can throw it really hard and make it turn right (big help for a RHBH)
170g Birdie - Best putter I have used.
150g Orc - never use it. Too unpredictable for me. I usually loan it away, but strangely can't get anyone to throw this into the #17 creek yet.

#1 - first of three wide open bombing runs. Tee off with the beast, approach with the shark, putt with the birdie.

#2 - Shot into a grove of trees. Tee off with beast hoping that the natural fade will put it into or near the grove surrounding the basket. From here, either go for a long putt or a short approach with the birdie.

#3 - Straight and to the left. Use the beast off the tee. Stay right and use the beast's fade to put you into position for either a long putt or short approach with the birdie.

#4 - Second of three bombing runs. Two throws with a beast and either a long putt or an approach with the birdie.

#5 - Third of three bombing runs. Again, crank it with the beast, 2 times. One medium shot with the shark. Finish off with a put with the birdie.

#6 - Basket is across a gorge and to the right. A couple of choices here. Stay to the left and play it safe to go around the gorge or play aggressive and try to go over/near the gorge. Originally, I would pull out the shark to get an unstable shot, but I found that I don't have enough distance on the shark to get it past the gorge. Now, I usually pull out the valkyrie for this one to get a straight, slightly understable shot over the gorge. Follow up with short shot with the shark and put with the birdie.

#7 - Nothing special here. Big throw with the beast and let its natural fade put you in front of the small trees. Long put with the birdie.

#8 - Too many trees on the right for the beast. 2 long throws with the shark and a birdie putt.

#9 - Haven't figured this one out yet. I usually try to drive into the area leading up to the basket, but either end up in the rough to the left, or way past the line of trees to the right. Remember you are throwing downhill. Either way, I usually need the accuracy of the shark a couple more times to get to the basket.

#10 - Too tight for a driver. 2 shots with the shark and a long putt to save par.

#11 - There are some holes that look straight forward, but causes me fits. This is one of them. Probably need to try the valkyrie for a nice straight shot...stay slightly left. Problem with this hole is getting a good angle of attack after the drive.

#12 - In the past, I have tried to shoot a low straight shot with the shark, but I always end up behind the second group of trees. Ill try shooting the shark to the left of the first group of trees and hopefully get a good angle from there.

#13 - 2 long straight shots will get you close to the basket, but the 2nd shot will take some skill to get around the tree limbs.

#14 - Tee off with the shark to get through the tree window. Long/midrange shot to get to the basket from there.

#15 - I like to use the valk here to get behind the big bush. Then tomahawk it over the big bush. If you do it right, it should land a couple feet from the basket for a short put.

#16 - Long hole. I like to thow the valk and put it in the clearing, then make a long throw with the beast to land it near the basket. You may need a short approach and putt to finish it off.

#17 - The fairway on this hole slopes down to the left. This is where most new throwers (RHBH) have problems if they try to shoot it straight down the middle. The disc will carry into the creek. I like to take the beast and shoot a high hyzer around/over the big group of trees on the right. This will drop the disc on to the fairway. From there, I throw the valk at the telephone pole. From there, I approach with the shark and put with the birdie. Respect the creek and you won't throw into it. I have lent many discs to first timers on this course and they end up in the creek.

#18 - Big throw out of the trees. I use the valk here because the natural fade of the beast may put it too close to the rough. Approach here with shark. Short putt.

Very nice course

2-4    5/18/2009   6/23/2009
Review By: fnewendaiku
Pros: This is a great course to bring the beginner (which I am at this time of writing). It is quite open for the most part, but there are some more challenging shots in the latter part of the course. Definitely get some work on throwing with the wind.
Cons: I lost a disc here on hole 17. The creek has played a big challenge for me. Holes 1, 7, and 18 are heavily used by park goers. Some of the tees were hard to find, but you just really should follow the walking path.

The course suits my style

1    6/7/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: ERicJ
Pros:
Nice concrete tees (though might be a tad short for some players) and double chain Discatcher Pro baskets. The course is situated in a beautiful neighborhood park. There are a lot of long holes on this course and the majority of fairways are pretty open, though most have some trees with which to contend. This is pretty close to my ideal course design: long holes, not too open, not too narrow. The parks department does close cut mowing from the tees down the fairways and then from one basket to the next tee; that was awesome for navigation as I never once worried about getting lost my first time on the course.
Cons:
Soccer fields and playgrounds are located close, sometimes too close, to the fairways and non-ideal throws could endanger non-disc golfers. The course starts out pretty bland with holes #1 and #3-5 all pretty boring holes with virtually no challenge but distance. Some tee signs have been vandalized and locals have Sharpied on suitable replacement info, although some of the distances are wrong. Hole #9 plays close to the playground and has some low lying water, I imagine it's a swamp after it rains. Lots of poison ivy if you stray from the fairways. The transition from #5 to #6 is a long walk: follow the sidewalk. I didn't see any restroom facilities
As I found out discs are very easily lost if you don't land 'em in the fairway. I lost three discs (on #3, #15, and #17) which soured and otherwise entertaining round. I would definitely play this course as it suits my game well. Plus I want another crack at it since in my first round I played awful! No water fountains that I saw, but Wal-Mart is just up the street.

great park course

2-4    1/24/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: drgnslyr221
Pros: Well laid out with plenty of great holes.Tee pads are in great shape.You never feel like any of the holes where just placed between the last basket and the next tee.All the holes are well thought out.
Cons: Lot of park traffic.There can be soccer practice so you might have to skip a couple of holes.
Not a whole lot of elevation change.
Other Thoughts: Definitively a top notch course

Close To Home

5+    5/10/2009   5/11/2009
Review By: turnerco
This review was updated on 6/2/2009
Pros: I live up the hill from this course. I am a beginner to disc gofl and this honestly is the only course I have played. To me the course is a lot of fun, a combo of long and shorter holes. #17 and the creek is disc magnetic, claiming several disks.

I really enjoy the course, many of the holes have broad "fairways" but some of course are more contrained and challenging. For me again we are beginners, this is a good course and our scores are improving.
Cons: You do have to watch out for kids playing sports, there does not seem to be much awareness of the disc golf course with some of those folks. They also need trash cans spaced on the course, which there are really none. Recently it seems vandals have pulled up some of the course markers and even two of the goals (which were replaced).
Other Thoughts: For cold beverages just drive up to the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market at Bassswood and Park Vista which is but a few blocks from the first tee.

Clear vistas of the sky so you can watch out for incoming storms if need be.

Arcadia #2

2-4    3/21/2009   3/22/2009
Review By: fly_hyzer
Pros: Long holes, plenty of wide open space to find your line. Course is fairly easy to navigate and has a few benches along the way to take a break as needed. Found that the course is, for the most part, very accepting to a RHBH thrower with only a couple holes that limit your line to the basket but can be easily negotiated with a little accuracy. This course can really be a "bear" though, played two rounds on the 2nd day of spring (awsome weather) and my arm was jello by hole 9 of the 2nd round. I consider this to be a "pro" though and not a "con" mainly because I found this to be a positive difference with respect to other courses in the vicinity. So if you want wide open fairways, with few flight restrictions other than that of your own strength and/or stamina check out this course, just probably not on any sunny day over 95 degrees or so...Oh yeah, I did forget to include that there are plenty of short holes (290-350'), which are all very birdie-able. This course offers variety within the confines of its conformity...if that makes any sense. I guess that is to say that, although the terrain and general course "look" never changes, the course does well to offer a variety of shots from hole-to-hole.
Cons: Short tee pads are my biggest complaint! I could personally use and extra 5' on the end of the pads, but this was workable since on most boxes you can start well behind the pad, a few though are uneven with the ground behind so the run up is difficult (broken ankles or toes....) Oh yeah, a water fountain would be nice also....but now I'm just being picky.
Other Thoughts: Keep an eye out for walkers on the path, sitters in the grass, and Mormons who'll chat you up and cause you to lose focus on your game after 30 minutes of religious discussion/debate...nice guys, but damn they could talk.

Arcadia

1    3/17/2009   3/17/2009
Review By: sgb118
Pros: What a nice park! Great tee pads and almost no waiting to tee. The course provides a good variety of shots; you get your open shots and your wooded shots, as well as long bombs and short/accurate throws. The creek through the park was gorgeous, and it doesn't seem like much of a disc eater. I wouldn'tt throw them in on purpose though, especially on #17... We always enjoy the walk, so the length of the course was a plus (It is definately a large course). Very friendly locals, and we flew through our round. Very fun course, and we plan to play it again. Great course if you are just starting, or if you've been at it for a while.
Cons: The park is really crowded, and the sidewalk is near the fairway pretty often, so there is high potential for hitting someone. We didn't have to wait too long for other park-goers, but there was waiting involved. The signs could use some work. Not necessarily new signs, but some have just been written on with sharpies on a few holes. Open field shots are pretty simple. MORE TRASH CANS: the beauty of the park was often hurt if not ruined by all of the garbage on the ground and in the creek. Usually I don't even take restrooms into account, only this time my girlfriend needed one, but there are none to be found.
Other Thoughts: Normally I would give this a lower score because of the garbage issue, but it was too good a course to penalize for that, especially since it seemed like a lot washed down the creek in the last week of rain. Very fun round of DG, and I plan to play it again, and even share it with friends. Enjoy it if you can make it out there, it is worth the time if you are in the DFW area.

5+    3/15/2009   3/15/2009
Review By: superh
Pros: this course is long and its open with a creek. after a few days rain its wet not muddy like other course's. and you never have to wait to tee off, everone moves quick.
Cons: the tee's are to high, need to add dirt or fibar around tee box. ive heard a few people say this also.
Other Thoughts: very good course in my eyes for first tymers,

Hole Breakdown

5+    2/15/2009   2/24/2009
Review By: FWgrant
Pros: Variety of shots, clean park, new baskets, not as busy as some other DFW parks
Cons: A first timer might have trouble finding some of the tee boxes on a few of the holes. 2-3, 5-6, 7-8, 10-11, and 14-15 all require a little walking in between but anyone who plays often can guess or assume where it will be. There used to be good signs posted at each hole, some of them have worn off though.
Other Thoughts: 1-Open shot, sometimes crowded from soccer practices. Posted par 4 is silly for a 400 foot open shot.

2-Easy pickup if you hyzer (RHBH) or can shoot straight through the tunnel

3-Shoot nice and straight 300 ft or use the open field to the right for some breathing room.

4-500+ft but has a posted par 5. Pick your shot, you're in an open field.

5-600+ft and another par 5. At 500 ft you have a patch of trees that can get in the way.

6-RHBH needs an anhyzer shot but I prefer to forearm it. You need to get around the patch of trees/drain/creek around the 225 ft mark if you want to par.

7. The fairway has a line of trees to the left, the shot is straight, you can use the soccer field to the right for some leeway on your drive, easy pick up for par.

8. You can hyzer through a narrow lane to the right of the tree in the middle of the fairway or you can anhyzer to the left, or my choice is to sidearm the 300 ft to the basket and hopefully pick up the bird.

9. I recommend shooting a RHBH straight toward the line of trees on the fairway. Your disc needs to start finishing left as it approaches that line and you will be set up for an relatively easy birdie on a posted par 4.

10-Forearm is your best bet here, disc needs to finish right into the clearing for an easy par pick up.

11-Need a good drive here to pick up the par. There is a large clump of trees to the right that can get you in trouble.

12. You can sidearm around (my choice) the large tree sitting in the fairway or you can shoot very accurately through a small tunnel to the right of the tree.

13-Recommended RHBH, drive hard on the right side of the fairway, your disc should be finishing low to the ground to get under the trees into putting range for a birdie try, or drop in par.

14-Short Tunnel shot, sad to say I rarely par this. You can always lay up for an easy par but who wants to do that? Just shoot in straight, you dont need the power or distance here, it's all about accuracy.

15-I like to RHBH a hyzer straight down the fairway and land to the left of the clump of bushes that guard the pin. You can easily sidearm around these shrubs for an easy par.

16-I like to have a hard forearm shot here that finishes back on the straight path. From here you can approach about 200 ft to the basket with a normal backhand shot.

17-Woe is your disc if you aren't careful. I prefer to power drive an understable disc down the fairway, if you turn it over you have nothing to worry about. Hint-don't throw your Excalibur high and with a hyzer, you will have to hope it clears the creek.

18-Elevation will cut your drive a little short but this shot is open and makes for an easy par pick up to finish the game

1st time on a Mature Course...

8/6/2008   8/6/2008
Review By: Joshua1972
Pros: Wide open on a good portion of the holes making it friendly to a beginner like me. Also some hole that were quite challenging even for the couple of veterns I played with. Overall a good course that has a good mix of easy and difficult holes.
Cons: A few of the holes had long distances between the basket and the next tee box...