Castle Rock, CO
Matney Park Share
Uploaded By: jugglerbri Hole #6 (Taken 2/2013)

Matney Park

2-4    11/30/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: Hoosier Al
Pros: This is a free course and allows you to really practice your drives and mid range throws without worrying about losing your discs.
Cons: Very Mundane, no variance in landscape. Discs get eaten up fast by the rocks. Windy.
Other Thoughts: if you are Jonesing to get out and throw and are in the neighborhood, stop by here. Otherwise, go to jellystone in Larkspur, which is just a little bit further south.

Feels like desert

1    8/27/2011   7/27/2012
Review By: PHARP
Pros: This course is easily naviagated. Close to an outlet mall if you come with family that does not enjoy disc golf. Throwing over and around the large rocks was cool.
Cons: Not much variety. The fairway looked like it was mowed, but only about 10ft wide. If you go outside of the fairway in any way, which is very easy to do with the high winds, you will picking stickers out of you shoestrings and socks for 2 days. No shade. Pretty much looks like the desert. The tee pads are pretty rough as well.
Other Thoughts: This course was good to play while the wife and her mom went to the mall nearby. I love playing disc golf, so palying anywhere is never going to be a bad experience. I would prefer to play other nearby courses before coming here due to lack of variety.

7-25-12

1    7/25/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: disc dunker
This review was updated on 7/27/2012
Pros: the lay out was easy to understand which is great because i would not want to spend any more time out there than i had to.
Cons: No shade lots of wind, no challenging features tall grass with lots of sticker "socks full" spent a lot of time looking for discs in the roughage. I'd say 15 of the 18 shots felt the same "long and straight into the wind". P.S. try not to twist an ankle on the gravel tee pads.
Other Thoughts: bring lots of water and dont come on a real hot day.

Meh

5+    6/10/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: shawnspraguer
Pros: Good baskets. Wide open for practicing long game. No water to lose the discs in.
Cons: Crappy dirt tee boxes that need to be poured concrete. Not challenging and no technical shots. Prone to lots of wind being high up and exposed.

Great Wide Open West

2-4    1/27/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I have not encountered any issues with crowds. There are restroom facilities in the parking lot. The fairways, tee pads, posts and baskets all flow logically and I was never turned around nor did I need to consult the map often. Large rocks and sage keep it interesting. The distance is honest and the down and then back up hill make for an interesting wind round.

This course shows signs of local care and I trust that there are reasons and good people behind the design decisions here. I am glad to have played here and overall I'd rate it as "fun" on the fun scale. I felt like I could have gotten by with only a handful of discs. The views here, and all of Castle Rock, are fantastic. The neighborhood feels nice and cozy.
Cons: My dog had issues with the cactus in his paws. If you are not in the mood for a wind game this will not be our cup of tea. The tee pad are not paved. The yellow plastic in my bag blended in with the prairie so I had a few issues finding things. This open space is little more than an empty undeveloped lot amongst different housing tracts. I've only played in the cold but with the wind in the open seem to me like a good place to burn and dehydrate in warmer months.
Other Thoughts: Wide open treeless and windy is my personal least favorite type of course. The first time I played here was in the dead of winter and the wind added many strokes to my game. The map on this site doesn't show it but to the west of #1's tee are a ball field and parking lot. That is where you want to be, 1-3; the rest of the course is in the great wide open across the street. I big arm on a calm day would love this course. I would recommend this course for all types of players; big arm should enjoy it, with a caution for golfers looking for obstacles.

Gordon1018's suggestion of using the cap rocks as hazards sounds like fun and I will try that next time I'm here. The designer and local club did well for what they have to work with.

ZZZ, ZZZ, ZZZ...

1    1/16/2010   1/17/2010
Review By: DGWookie
This review was updated on 1/19/2010
Pros: The tee boxes are fairly large and filled with crusher fines - I like this a little more than concrete. Totally open area and way easy to navigate. The course was almost trash free. Hole #15 is the best hole of the entire course. The most you can see from the tee box area is the top of the basket.
Cons: Crazy amounts of mud right now!!! The course really is not challenging enough. Without major obstacles this place can get boring fairly quickly. Take a driver and a putter - that's all you'll need.
Other Thoughts: Bring your Ipod to help break up the monotony.