Colonial Heights, VA
Pharaoh's Tomb Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #5 (Taken 4/2009)
3 / 213ft.   3 / 266ft.   3 / 361ft.   3 / 361ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #5 White/long Tee

1    11/5/2010   11/13/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 8/15/2014
Pros: Fun course in a great park. Nice scenery will help you forget some of the risks.
- Many fun aspects to the course. Some very solid holes with good, fun pin placements and challenges. #13 - 16 is a good stretch of semi-wooded holes, all with awesome views of Appomattox river.
- Good mix of holes. There are a couple open, longer holes that allow you to unwind your tee shots (in the 350+ ft range). There are also some good, tight holes that have little margin for error.
- Multiple tee pads - 2 regular length tees and a beginner tee. I love how the regulation-length tees (A & B) give a good variety of different looks and length. The 2 regular length tees present a 4th option (the long layout), which is simply playing the longer of the two tees for each hole. You get a good mix of both layouts by playing the "longs."
- Great course maps & scorecards online. With a lack of signage on the course, the detailed maps are a tremendous help. They're a life-saver for any first-time player.
- I like the being able to see some of the old-school markers for the former object holes. On #17, you can see the object "basket" near the real basket. It makes you appreciate how nice it is to have real baskets instead of playing object disc golf.
- Good park amenities for families - lots of picnic tables, playgrounds, open fields and boat ramp. You'll see all of these as you play throughout the park.
Cons: There were a lot of potential risks playing here, so many that I was having to keep an eye out for people on almost any hole.
- The biggest, and most obvious, problem is that the course plays too closely to other park activities. A partial list includes: #2 & 3 run close to/through a series of picnic shelters, #4 is throwing over a parking lot; #7 includes a blind tee shot around a corner into an open field, near a building; #18's tee shot is throwing uphill toward a road. It'd be very easy (but not necessarily likely) for a car to appear and be "at risk" of being hit after you throw. Other holes include throwing into/through open, public parts of park.
- I'm echoing what others have said: this course could be unplayable at peak times because of people in too many common areas/"fairways." I played on a Friday afternoon, and saw less than 10 people in the entire park, but even with that low a number, I was still forced to be overly cautious.
- Standing on the tee for #11, you're at a 90-degree angle to the basket. If you can't cut your disc sharp, you'd actually be in better shape to throw 50 straight ahead, and get into the opening past the trees, then throw a long second shot to the basket. I just felt this was a poorly designed hole.
- Several baskets are near picnic shelters. The positive is that there are wood walls protecting any people at the shelter, the bad is if you're one of the people at the shelter, and have to deal with discs thudding into the wall 5 feet behind you.
- As others have mentioned, the tee signs are just painted pieces of wood on the ground. Even with the course maps, there are some you have to be essentially right on top of them to see them.
- The course would be nearly impossible to play without a map for a first-timer. Maybe you will end up playing all 18 holes, but I doubt you would be able to play them in correct order.
Other Thoughts: I think PT is a great name for a course. It'd be cool to have a hole layed out along the theme - i.e. have a low, tunnel shot called the tomb hole.
- I felt like this course covered just about every square inch of the park. You're throwing over parking lots, roads, right up to & behind picnic benches & shelters. It's not that the park is that small, just that the course is so spaced-out. As said above, you'll see every part of the park.
- I thought it was interesting that #4 & 7 shared the same tee locations for both the A&B locations. You're throwing in different directions, but using the same pads. Don't know if it was a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing; so it's getting noted here.
- Driving into the park and seeing how great things looked (plus what I've read on here), I had such high hopes for this course. Unfortunately, it couldn't meet those expectations. It's was the polar-opposite effect of Goyne Park. At Goyne, I had low hopes going in, only to have them exceeded.
- I loved #15. Short, 205 foot, uphill shot over a ravine. You can park your tee shot right next to the hole, or you can have it roll down the ravine, giving yourself a fun, little second shot.
- Just about every hole, in and of itself, is a good hole. Like any course, there are some duds. The problem is how they are impacted by the rest of the park. If you played here when the park was empty, it'd be a 3. Due to too many risks, it's getting a slight downgrade, but I know there's room for improvement.

Cats in a Par Three

1    5/31/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: tfoley
Pros:
* Nice, new baskets
* Open and wooded holes
* Mix of shots: left, right, and straight
* All tees are marked and painted
* Maps and scorecards at board
* Lots of orange cats
Cons:
* Lots of bugs in the woods
* Some tees are very muddy
* Poor course design
Overall I thought this was a really fun course and I would play here again. The large amount of cats there was hilarious and I've never see that before at another course. Those cats make this course memorable.

There is one item keeping this course from getting a better rating. The course layout is pretty poor. Some holes are too close together and others make you throw over a parking lot. It seems like this park could have about 11-13 holes, but the designers squeezed in 18.

Saying that, I liked almost all the holes by themselves and found it really fun to play. Make sure you get to the course early in the morning because there are a lot of other people in the park in the afternoon. It would be very difficult to play some of the holes because you would be throwing at people.

I personally really like natural tees so I was happy to see that they have three tees on every hole (I think) and the baskets look brand new. The tees are all clearly marked and most holes have a rock in the ground noting the distance to the hole.

If you are looking for a quick par 3 course with some character I recommend this course. Just make sure you go there in the morning.

Cats!

1    5/9/2009   5/14/2009
Review By: dobsonr
This review was updated on 1/3/2010
Pros: This is a really enjoyable course to play. It has a nice mixture of open and wooded holes. Near the first tee is a bulletin board with maps and scorecards (grab a map - you'll need it!). Multiple tees on every hole make the course playable for all skill levels. 9 of the holes have brand new baskets, and each tee has markers with the hole number and distance.

The course features some really unique holes, particularly #15 (a short throw over a gorge, close enough for a view of the water without bringing it into play). The holes vary in distance and design so you will use every aspect of your game at some point.
Cons: The first noticeable con at Pharaoh's Tomb is the natural tees. I played in the evening after a tournament earlier in the day, and many of the tees were muddy and difficult to play on. While it was nice having the distance on the markers, it would be helpful if the markers stuck out of the ground - they lie flat next to the tees and can be tricky to find. The course could really benefit from signs at each tee with a diagram of the hole - some of the targets were hard to locate (particularly 16). Several holes have mandos, which are marked with signs, but not at the tee. After playing here once it won't be a problem, but I missed a few mandos just because I wasn't aware of them until after throwing my drive. I really didn't mind that half of the holes didn't have baskets, but the course will definitely jump up a notch once they are put in.

The course plays near several picnic areas, a playground, and a few parking lots as well. It doesn't take much away from the course, but on a few holes you have to be really careful - there were a lot of kids running around when I played.
Other Thoughts: I had heard about the cats at the park but I didn't realize there were so many! When I arrived there was an old lady feeding about 20 of them at the pavilion near the parking lot. They seemed pretty wary of people and stayed out of the way, so it was not a problem, but it was pretty funny to see all of those cats on a DG course.

I wish that I had been able to play in the tournament earlier in the day, but I'm glad that I was still able to finally check this course out. Coming from Richmond's Museum District, this course is the 4th option (after Bryan Park, Gillies, Dorey, and Goyne), but it was nice enough that I will definitely make it back there. All of these courses are just minutes from the highway, and if you're passing through on a trip I would recommend checking out any of them - they are all unique and enjoyable. This course is a great addition to the Richmond DG scene - I can't wait to see how it evolves.